• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Browns should take Chubb and Barkley

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As an Ohio State fan, you have to be skeptical of Darnold, right? In that bowl game against Ohio States NFL-like defense, he looked lost.
I don't think this QB class is very good.

He had ball security issues for sure. He also threw for over 300 that game and moved the ball around the field until the turnovers stopped drives. He's still the best overall QB in the draft when you take into account size, arm, accuracy, and mentality. Whoever they draft will be sitting the bench and learning for a year or 2 anyhow.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sure, I do want the giants to get him... But the point still is ground and pound doesn't work unless you have a good defense... there running game with what they have is good enough to help that offense... and RBs are not the players you want to sit for a season...

tell that to Dallas. Their defense is putrid, but they're able to ground and pound other defenses into submission and keep their own defense on the sidelines.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Taylor was brought in IMO for the Browns to have the option of not having to take a QB in round one. It gives them the option to develop a QB and there is quality to be had in round two. The Browns are not trying to win it all this year this is a process for them. While taking the best QB seems prudent it has failed them to many times and I feel they are weary of that.
Taylor is not a good NFL QB.
They aren't trying to win this year, but they should be taking the best QB that sets them up for 10 years. Usually that is easier to find at pick #1 than in the 2nd round.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Taylor is not a good NFL QB.
They aren't trying to win this year, but they should be taking the best QB that sets them up for 10 years. Usually that is easier to find at pick #1 than in the 2nd round.
Really how has that worked out for them in the past?

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really how has that worked out for them in the past?
so stop trying? That doesn't even make any sense. How many times have they had the #1 pick and taken a QB this millennium?

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tell that to Dallas. Their defense is putrid, but they're able to ground and pound other defenses into submission and keep their own defense on the sidelines.

And be an 8-8 team. Lol.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL... why not...

No... was just saying a failure in QB pick when you have two top 5 picks is not as big of a deal since you have the other pick of what "you should have done"... it acts as a security blanket...

With that said, I think they would be STUPID not to draft a QB with that first pick... and I think they should go Chubbs with the 4th pick.... Barkley doesn't make sense when you have Carlos hyde and Duke Johnson... Sure neither of them can hold Barkley's jockstrap... but that is a pretty decent tandem already... you can fill other holes...

Remember, Ground and pound does not work if you don't have a good defense!!!

Hyde's best years are behind him and Johnson isn't an every down back. Neither have game breaking ability the way Barkley has. I'd argue that Barkley makes enormous sense when you have Hyde available to give Barkley a rest and Johnson there for 2-back sets, a change of pace, or even out of the slot.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And be an 8-8 team. Lol.

They were 9-7 last year with their best player suspended for 5 games.
13-3 the year before.

A lot of fans would happily take 22-10 over 2 years. Their entire gameplan revolves around wearing the other team down with the running game and keeping their own defense off the field as much as possible. They have a bad defense with a lot of holes, but a few pass rushers that can get after it when the other team is forced to throw and they've had success with it. So, clearly, you don't need a great defense to ground & pound...in fact, many teams do that to shorten the game and cover up for a defense that isn't all that good.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually really don't like the Carlos Hyde signing at all for the Browns. I feel like you can get someone better in rd3 let alone actually drafting Barkley.

CaptainStubing

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if the browns were able to land cousins or alex smith (a QB a bit more solid than Taylor), then I would say ignoring the QB position in the 1st round would have made sense. Taylor is most likely just a bridge, though, and they will draft a QB early. Taylor is an 'ok' NFL QB but I don't think anyone thinks he's great or elite and that's what teams are always looking for.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if the browns were able to land cousins or alex smith (a QB a bit more solid than Taylor), then I would say ignoring the QB position in the 1st round would have made sense. Taylor is most likely just a bridge, though, and they will draft a QB early. Taylor is an 'ok' NFL QB but I don't think anyone thinks he's great or elite and that's what teams are always looking for.

The argument for passing on the QB class in favor of Barkley and Chubb is for that very reason. Taylor is an OK NFL QB. And, as demonstrated last year, he can get a team to the playoffs by simply not turning it over. Plus, he's not that old. He could be their guy for 4-5 years while they build and maintain solid players around him.

It's most likely that the Browns will in fact draft a QB #1 (Darnold or Allen seem to be the front runners). It's entirely plausible that their team would be better off, especially short-term, by getting what most consider the 2 best prospects in the draft rather than a QB.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have a starting QB that just went to the playoffs last year who will just have turned 29 once the year starts.

And we saw how he played in the playoffs, which of course is one of many reasons why he is a former Buffalo Bill.

I agree this is an iffy QB class, but when you get the chance to take one that you think could be the franchise QB I can see why they would pull the trigger.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What the...What?
So they fire him when he gets a QB and find another GM whose job is to get a LT?

It's a fairly straightforward process. The QB position in todays game has never determined wins and losses moreso. In general, you get one, and you're set for a long, long time. That is the reason why Dorsey was brought in.

To find the QB.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
You don't need an elite RB to win in the NFL. The teams that win and make it far in the playoffs are teams with great QB play or outstanding defensive play. All you need is a good running attack and you're good.

The draft is loaded with quality backs so the best move for the Browns would be to take a QB at 1 and Chubb at 4. If they are so inclined they could still grab a great RB at the top of the 2nd.

Kareem Hunt and Karmara where two of the best backs in the league last season and they were both 3rd round picks. It's more important to grab an RB that fits what you want to do on offense than grabbing the best RB in the draft.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Calling Taylor bad is quite disingenuous when compared to actually bad QB's...
Yeah, but he is in the Andy Dalton Zone

Thats a totally made up classification but we all know what it means.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Calling Taylor bad is quite disingenuous when compared to actually bad QB's...

Yeah. Taylor threw 14 tds and just 4 ints last year. Had a 89 QBR and 63% completion percentage.

Kizer had 11 tds and 22 ints (btw, that's more ints than Taylor has had in his entire career), 60 QBR and 53% completion percentage.

If they made zero changes besides that one at QB, they win 4 games last year.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tyrod Taylor is treading water at very best. Sooner or later, the car part sinks.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, but he is in the Andy Dalton Zone

Thats a totally made up classification but we all know what it means.
Yeah, but average is not a death sentence either. It's just awkward if you're stuck there which the Browns aren't.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. Taylor threw 14 tds and just 4 ints last year. Had a 89 QBR and 63% completion percentage.

Kizer had 11 tds and 22 ints (btw, that's more ints than Taylor has had in his entire career), 60 QBR and 53% completion percentage.

If they made zero changes besides that one at QB, they win 4 games last year.
They could have changed nothing and would win around 4 games in most years.