• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

State of the Team

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its been stated a lot recently on different game day threads but I thought I would put this here, my list of guys who need to be taken off the roster. They are, in no order of un-importance:
Bryan Morris
Gorkys Hernandez
Aaron Hill

I suggest the Giants bring up Tyler Rogers (yeah, I stuck on this one), activate Jarrett Parker and maybe even Stokes to replace these three (because, really, could Stokes do much worse at the plate than Hill?). And I'm okay with the Giants taking as long as possible on Gillaspie's rehab. I think that he shouldn't be brought back to the active roster. The Matt's in the rotation need to go too. Cain's time is done. I hate saying that because he's been one of my favorites for years and I was excited when the Giants signed him to that extension. It seemed like a no-brainer at the time. Unfortunately, he went down fast. Moore, is a bit harder to gauge because he has some really good outings. But when he is bad, he is simply awful. Feels like the starting version of Bryan Morris.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its been stated a lot recently on different game day threads but I thought I would put this here, my list of guys who need to be taken off the roster. They are, in no order of un-importance:
Bryan Morris
Gorkys Hernandez
Aaron Hill

I suggest the Giants bring up Tyler Rogers (yeah, I stuck on this one), activate Jarrett Parker and maybe even Stokes to replace these three (because, really, could Stokes do much worse at the plate than Hill?). And I'm okay with the Giants taking as long as possible on Gillaspie's rehab. I think that he shouldn't be brought back to the active roster. The Matt's in the rotation need to go too. Cain's time is done. I hate saying that because he's been one of my favorites for years and I was excited when the Giants signed him to that extension. It seemed like a no-brainer at the time. Unfortunately, he went down fast. Moore, is a bit harder to gauge because he has some really good outings. But when he is bad, he is simply awful. Feels like the starting version of Bryan Morris.
Mr. Evans, a "Mr. LHG" is on the phone for you...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bryan Morris
Gorkys Hernandez
Aaron Hill

Remind me never to get on your bad side.

If the rumors are true, than since you made this post, 2/3 of your targets have walked the plank.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If the rumors are true, than since you made this post, 2/3 of your targets have walked the plank.

Hernandez will be out the door when Parker is ready, barring injury (which should be pretty soon here)

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hernandez will be out the door when Parker is ready, barring injury (which should be pretty soon here)
Yup. I think that is why Parker has been getting reps in center on his rehab assignment. Between him and Slater, I think they will be covered in center.

Again, if Gorkys actually played the way he was expected to (defensively), I would be more forgiving of his vacuum bat. But he has looked horrible in the field this year.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bryan Morris
Gorkys Hernandez
Aaron Hill

Thanks for thinking of me, but the Giants can't afford me.

And yes, I could do MUCH worse at the plate than Hill. Which is why keyboard jockey is on my business card.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for thinking of me, but the Giants can't afford me.

And yes, I could do MUCH worse at the plate than Hill. Which is why keyboard jockey is on my business card.
If they are willing to give 35M to Span after fresh hip surgery, how much do you think you can get after rehabbing for a couple years? You should be near your peak!

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup. I think that is why Parker has been getting reps in center on his rehab assignment. Between him and Slater, I think they will be covered in center.

Again, if Gorkys actually played the way he was expected to (defensively), I would be more forgiving of his vacuum bat. But he has looked horrible in the field this year.

My thoughts exactly. Since Pence and Span are basically incumbents, there just isn't enough PT for the Giants to get a look at Slater, Parker, Mac, Shaw if it comes to that. So if Parker and Slater can steal ABs in CF and RF as backups, that will help ease the "logjam".

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My thoughts exactly. Since Pence and Span are basically incumbents, there just isn't enough PT for the Giants to get a look at Slater, Parker, Mac, Shaw if it comes to that. So if Parker and Slater can steal ABs in CF and RF as backups, that will help ease the "logjam".
I hope we don't see Shaw this year. He obviously still has something to learn in AAA, and I would prefer to not start his clock until need be.

Reactions: LHG

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mr. Evans, a "Mr. LHG" is on the phone for you...

You make calls and things happen. I try not to go to the red phone unless its absolutely necessary. Gotta give the new guy in the GM's chair some room to make messes and learn from his mistakes. Ya' know?

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dumpster-fire-600x315.jpg

VASFfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This pic makes it seem like the fire is contained.

Have you seen the Giants minor league records?

Now see, THAT is spot on. If it were just that the big league team sucked, that would be bad but at least we could have hope in the cavalry arriving in the near future. But cripes, the minor league teams are just scraping the bottom of the jug wine barrel. A few prospects here and there but nothing that screams, we're saved! I see some signs of this already, but hopefully Evans gets ruthless, cuts some of the dead weight throughout the system, and advances some guys who have at least SOME promise.

Having just typed those words, I realize that if he were to cut ALL of the dead weight, we might not have much of a minor league system left. It was striking, over the weekend I was looking at the Arizona league Giants, and the team is, what, 80% (or more?) guys from the DSL or other Latin signings. Sure, that will change as the draft guys get mixed in, but I don't think I've seen it that extreme. I took it as another sign that the front office thinks the talent in the minors reeks and they're rushing along guys from wherever they can get them, even if they're probably not ready to be here yet. And at least some of the Latin guys seemed to me that they could probably use another year, if not more, in the Dominican League. Though having said that, I concede I've never quite understood the Giants' rationale for bringing guys over; frequently they bring over guys, for instance, who can't hit to save their lives in the Dominican, so they think they'll suddenly learn in Arizona?

RamsFan88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,416.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What kind of prospect package could Bumgarner fetch the Giants? Not advocating for it, but not necessarily against the idea either.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What kind of prospect package could Bumgarner fetch the Giants? Not advocating for it, but not necessarily against the idea either.
2-3 TOP prospects. Like 2 top 10s and a top 100. Something like that. What contender would not want Bum, at just about any price? He has demonstrated that he is one of, if not THE greatest post season pitcher ever. He earned one championship almost all by himself. All this and he is making about 10M per for the next 3 years.

No Price is too high for a buying team.

And I AM advocating trading Bum.