• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

State of the Team

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ummm... What? 3 rings?

Anyway, that last part is a big hurdle if they go full re-build. If they re-tool, they'll be able to prolong the inevitable but keep fans coming back. If they go full re-build the season ticket holders will stay home. That's honestly one of the biggest factors they'll have to discuss with ownership.

If the Giants go full re-build, Bochy will retire or move on, no doubt. Probably Raggs too. Wotus probably take the helm in this case. I don't think it's likely the FO get's overhauled though. Bobby Evans is the guy. They are deeply rooted in the organization with guys who have been around for a long time and I doubt that will change. Sabean has taken a hands off approach since the end of 2014. Even if he leaves, it's not the GM leaving, and I don't think Sabean will leave.

Did someone say three rings?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ummm... What? 3 rings?

Anyway, that last part is a big hurdle if they go full re-build. If they re-tool, they'll be able to prolong the inevitable but keep fans coming back. If they go full re-build the season ticket holders will stay home. That's honestly one of the biggest factors they'll have to discuss with ownership.

If the Giants go full re-build, Bochy will retire or move on, no doubt. Probably Raggs too. Wotus probably take the helm in this case. I don't think it's likely the FO get's overhauled though. Bobby Evans is the guy. They are deeply rooted in the organization with guys who have been around for a long time and I doubt that will change. Sabean has taken a hands off approach since the end of 2014. Even if he leaves, it's not the GM leaving, and I don't think Sabean will leave.

3 rings with a solid pitching staff, good hitters, and some career seasons at just the right time (cody ross?, aubrey huff, scutero....). none of which this roster has

they aren't competing this year. they won't next year. what makes you think they'll turn it around in '19 or '20? you think bochy will still be skipper in '20?

as for season tix holders, they aren't showing up now, stubhub sales are < face value and it's going to get worse.

i can't see the current course leading to competitive team in the near future. as i stated last year, in every game i attended the giants were the least athletic team on the field, this year is worse

face it, we caught some good breaks in '10, '12, 14, and came damn close in 16. it's catching up to us now. the foundation just isn't there. start re-building now, it's inevitable (jmo of course)

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 rings with a solid pitching staff, good hitters, and some career seasons at just the right time (cody ross?, aubrey huff, scutero....). none of which this roster has

they aren't competing this year. they won't next year. what makes you think they'll turn it around in '19 or '20? you think bochy will still be skipper in '20?

as for season tix holders, they aren't showing up now, stubhub sales are < face value and it's going to get worse.

i can't see the current course leading to competitive team in the near future. as i stated last year, in every game i attended the giants were the least athletic team on the field, this year is worse

face it, we caught some good breaks in '10, '12, 14, and came damn close in 16. it's catching up to us now. the foundation just isn't there. start re-building now, it's inevitable (jmo of course)

I don't disagree with you on rebuilding, I just took that sentence to mean something different, that the Giants have been "coasting on the allure of AT&T" since it opened, so I questioned that. Even so, I don't think it's fair to say that they have been coasting this year. They obviously came into this season looking to win and continue to do so. The rebuild won't begin until July anyway.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I fully expect Bochy to retire after this year. No way this kind of ball is healthy for his heart.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I fully expect Bochy to retire after this year. No way this kind of ball is healthy for his heart.

He's no dummy, maybe like us fans he knows the season is over so he's not stressing that much. But I agree he will retire soon, probably as soon as the FO says we are doing a for real rebuild.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't disagree with you on rebuilding, I just took that sentence to mean something different, that the Giants have been "coasting on the allure of AT&T" since it opened, so I questioned that. Even so, I don't think it's fair to say that they have been coasting this year. They obviously came into this season looking to win and continue to do so. The rebuild won't begin until July anyway.

Att continues to fill seats regardless of the teams perfomance. Used to be predominately season ticket holders in our section. Lately is them reselling their seats visiting team fans for pennies on the dollar. SF and art is a vacation draw. The question is will season ticket holders renew, and will the Giants have the audacity to raise prices yet again

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keep the faith, Gigantes.
My mediocre Mets will be @ AT&T this coming weekend to help you cure your doldrums.

:L

Still undecided on which game I want to go to if any...though I'm leaning towards Friday night.
DeGrom faces Cueto on Saturday, but I've got other plans.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Att continues to fill seats regardless of the teams perfomance. Used to be predominately season ticket holders in our section. Lately is them reselling their seats visiting team fans for pennies on the dollar. SF and art is a vacation draw. The question is will season ticket holders renew, and will the Giants have the audacity to raise prices yet again

If they don't go full-rebuild, I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to. If they start selling off big pieces, I expect them to at least freeze prices. Rebuilding is tough work on both sides. But I'm pretty sure the stadium debt is paid off, so maybe ownership will be a little more lenient.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

One game on Stub Hub had approx. 7,500 tickets available. I plan on taking my son to a couple of games after the all star break as I will probably be able to get pretty good tickets cheap, especially on game day.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they don't go full-rebuild, I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to. If they start selling off big pieces, I expect them to at least freeze prices. Rebuilding is tough work on both sides. But I'm pretty sure the stadium debt is paid off, so maybe ownership will be a little more lenient.

The debt was paid off.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I have made noise on the board about Posey's lack of clutchiness. Sorry. I ride hobby horses until they die. :D

But I did some checking on RBI leaders in MLB. Here's what I found.

Lamb (AZ) .314 with RISP (70 AB) (44 RBI)
Goldschmidt (AZ) .418 with RISP (79 AB) (39 RBI)
Arenado (CO) .358 with RISP (67 AB) (38 RBI)
Reynolds (CO) .371 with RISP (70 AB) (40 RBI)
Zimmerman (WA) .310 with RISP (81 AB) (35 RBI)
Harper (WA) .323 with RISP (62 AB) (31 RBI)

So the average of the top six is 71.5 AB's, and 37.8 RBI's

Compare that with Posey

Posey (SF) .250 with RISP (48 AB) (15 RBI)

Not only has Posey not gotten the opportunities the league leaders have gotten, but he has not done much with the opportunities he has gotten.

Posey is the best SF catcher ever. And will (should) end his career as a Giant. But he is not delivering in the clutch this season. No one else is, either, but you expect the team leader to, you know, lead. I'd take a .300 hitting Posey with more RBI's than a .347 hitting Posey with far fewer RBI's.

End of rant.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I have made noise on the board about Posey's lack of clutchiness. Sorry. I ride hobby horses until they die. :D

But I did some checking on RBI leaders in MLB. Here's what I found.

Lamb (AZ) .314 with RISP (70 AB) (44 RBI)
Goldschmidt (AZ) .418 with RISP (79 AB) (39 RBI)
Arenado (CO) .358 with RISP (67 AB) (38 RBI)
Reynolds (CO) .371 with RISP (70 AB) (40 RBI)
Zimmerman (WA) .310 with RISP (81 AB) (35 RBI)
Harper (WA) .323 with RISP (62 AB) (31 RBI)

So the average of the top six is 71.5 AB's, and 37.8 RBI's

Compare that with Posey

Posey (SF) .250 with RISP (48 AB) (15 RBI)

Not only has Posey not gotten the opportunities the league leaders have gotten, but he has not done much with the opportunities he has gotten.

Posey is the best SF catcher ever. And will (should) end his career as a Giant. But he is not delivering in the clutch this season. No one else is, either, but you expect the team leader to, you know, lead. I'd take a .300 hitting Posey with more RBI's than a .347 hitting Posey with far fewer RBI's.

End of rant.

And my argument to that is SSS. It's hard for me to get too mad at Posey because he's been a great clutch hitter for us for so long. Sure, maybe some of the hits aren't falling this year, but it's been a small speck in his grand scheme.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One game on Stub Hub had approx. 7,500 tickets available. I plan on taking my son to a couple of games after the all star break as I will probably be able to get pretty good tickets cheap, especially on game day.

Season tix holders often donate to charity through Stubhub the day before or day of the game. Sometimes the best seats are a few days in advance

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And my argument to that is SSS. It's hard for me to get too mad at Posey because he's been a great clutch hitter for us for so long. Sure, maybe some of the hits aren't falling this year, but it's been a small speck in his grand scheme.

In the larger scheme of things, I would agree. Three WS trophies would not be in SF without Posey.

However, this is halfway through the season, so for this season, it is not a SSS. The blame for being 20 games under .500 is spread widely on this team. But a major part of our hitting woes begins with those we count on to drive in runs: Posey, Crawford, Belt, Pence. Posey is the team leader, and has not delivered at a significant level this season. They have had few opportunities to drive in runs, to be sure, but they have not been doing so. And this goes back to last year's ASB. I just thought it would be interesting to look at Posey compared to the league leaders in RBI's. My eyes have been seeing this almost from the beginning of the season, but wanted to check out the stats. Posey ended April with 3 RBI! That's usually a good series for him. May was 10, and June is 12 so far. Perhaps things will pick up from here. But 3 RBI in a month from the team captain/leader is awful, don't you think?

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the larger scheme of things, I would agree. Three WS trophies would not be in SF without Posey.

However, this is halfway through the season, so for this season, it is not a SSS. The blame for being 20 games under .500 is spread widely on this team. But a major part of our hitting woes begins with those we count on to drive in runs: Posey, Crawford, Belt, Pence. Posey is the team leader, and has not delivered at a significant level this season. They have had few opportunities to drive in runs, to be sure, but they have not been doing so. And this goes back to last year's ASB. I just thought it would be interesting to look at Posey compared to the league leaders in RBI's. My eyes have been seeing this almost from the beginning of the season, but wanted to check out the stats. Posey ended April with 3 RBI! That's usually a good series for him. May was 10, and June is 12 so far. Perhaps things will pick up from here. But 3 RBI in a month from the team captain/leader is awful, don't you think?

Yep it's an awful number, we can all agree. Ok, so what?