• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

State of the Team

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting article...

Giants might benefit most from tanking this season

So, the question of the week, everywhere from here to KNBR to Olney to Pavlovich is, "To tank, or not to Tank?"

I have already provided my thoughts on who can/can't be traded and who should/shouldn't. I m somewhat ok with trading pieces that won't help the team win when the team needs to win. But a flat out tank job is something I have a hard time getting behind. Especially when there is allegedly enough talent to at least contend for a WC slot. Also, does anyone REALLY expect Boch to stick around for a rebuild? Dude is not exactly the picture of good health and fine living.

Anyway, thoughts?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as a season tix holder... don't tank. but seriously start bringing up talent to get a real good look as the inevitable injuries occur. if the vets aren't producing, boot 'em to the bully, bench, or minors.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as a season tix holder... don't tank. but seriously start bringing up talent to get a real good look as the inevitable injuries occur. if the vets aren't producing, boot 'em to the bully, bench, or minors.
No reason to call up Arroyo or Beede before late May or early June. Don't want to burn a year of control on this year.

Slater, KT, Mac, whomever else should be called up to evaluate, though. Maybe go with Stubbs for a month, just in case this is just an extended SSS. But I am getting to the point of losing faith in this team.

And again, looking at the talent on the roster, that just doesn't make sense...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am excited to see Arroyo tonight, but I am not sure I agree with the move.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. Too early and how do you fit him in the lineup regularly?

Nunez is the super utility guy, playing a lot of LF and filling in at SS, 2B and 3B. Arroyo becomes everyday 3rd baseman. I really wanted Nunez to be the super sub in the offseason.

I said the other day in another thread that I think it is too soon to bring up Beede and I think the same for Arroyo, but I'm excited nonetheless. He has all the spotlight now, home series against the dodgers, against Kershaw. Good luck, kid.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nunez is the super utility guy, playing a lot of LF and filling in at SS, 2B and 3B. Arroyo becomes everyday 3rd baseman. I really wanted Nunez to be the super sub in the offseason.

I said the other day in another thread that I think it is too soon to bring up Beede and I think the same for Arroyo, but I'm excited nonetheless. He has all the spotlight now, home series against the dodgers, against Kershaw. Good luck, kid.
Here's what I think will happen though - the Giants make Nunez the everyday left fielder and keep Hill as the super utility guy (once he is off the dl), keeping Williamson stuck in AAA.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too early to tank. Remember 2014 (or was it 2012, or both), when half of this august compendium, in particular one prominent mainstay, had written off the season in July. We still have a week to go in April, for goodness sakes.

We aren't this bad. The other teams aren't that good. Let's let things regress to the mean, get Noggin back, and see where we are at the ASB.

jimmyv.png

What this guy said.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too early to tank. Remember 2014 (or was it 2012, or both), when half of this august compendium, in particular one prominent mainstay, had written off the season in July. We still have a week to go in April, for goodness sakes.

We aren't this bad. The other teams aren't that good. Let's let things regress to the mean, get Noggin back, and see where we are at the ASB.

jimmyv.png

What this guy said.
I tend to feel this way.

BUT...

As I have asked elsewhere, when does SSS cease to be SSS? Since the ASB, the Giants have been the worst team in the bigs. Not just the last 3 weeks, but the last 3 weeks + the last 2+ months of 2016. Is that still SSS?

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I tend to feel this way.

BUT...

As I have asked elsewhere, when does SSS cease to be SSS? Since the ASB, the Giants have been the worst team in the bigs. Not just the last 3 weeks, but the last 3 weeks + the last 2+ months of 2016. Is that still SSS?

But at the same time, we were the best team in baseball from the beginning of 2016 to the ASB, and played the most talented team in baseball down to the wire (and I still believe 100% we would have won game 5 if our Pen did their job game 4).

Baseball is a fickle bitch

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I tend to feel this way.

BUT...

I think the month of May will go a long way to determine whether this team is really this bad or it there is still some hope for the season.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haven't been paying as much attention with GSW Warriors and NBA playoffs going on and the 49ers draft and new FO. But seems a bit early to pull the plug yet but if this is still going on by the end of May then there needs to be some serious evaluation and changes made in the following offseason. I would think the FO at that point would realize that a patch job is just not going to fix this. I would like to see the younger players stay but it might be time to part with some of the 30+ older vets. And I am wondering how much longer the team can wait for players like Brandon Belt to put it together. Hitting .228 playing first base isn't going to cut it.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haven't been paying as much attention with GSW Warriors and NBA playoffs going on and the 49ers draft and new FO. But seems a bit early to pull the plug yet but if this is still going on by the end of May then there needs to be some serious evaluation and changes made in the following offseason. I would think the FO at that point would realize that a patch job is just not going to fix this. I would like to see the younger players stay but it might be time to part with some of the 30+ older vets. And I am wondering how much longer the team can wait for players like Brandon Belt to put it together. Hitting .228 playing first base isn't going to cut it.
Hey. Belt is a legit power hitter. He leads the team in HRs, don'tcha know...

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:L

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let cal and patterson have their fun. Every year, when Belt has his early season struggles, the haters come out of the woodwork.

I am not a hater. I really like Belt and want him to succeed but he seems to go on these very long slumps. He is a really good defensive player, but to me seems to inconsistent at the plate.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not a hater. I really like Belt and want him to succeed but he seems to go on these very long slumps. He is a really good defensive player, but to me seems to inconsistent at the plate.
Yeah, he does get rather streaky, but when the season ends he is usually right up there in the top 10 MLB first basemen. I won't go into what I posted earlier this season, just link to a thread - Game Thread: - 4/28 Madres @ Midgets

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, he does get rather streaky, but when the season ends he is usually right up there in the top 10 MLB first basemen. I won't go into what I posted earlier this season, just link to a thread - Game Thread: - 4/28 Madres @ Midgets
Top 10 MLB 1st baseman = top third. Not a huge endorsement. And actually, there are usually fewer than 30 1B who qualify, so it may be closer to only top 1/2...