• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

State of the Team

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2-3 TOP prospects. Like 2 top 10s and a top 100. Something like that. What contender would not want Bum, at just about any price? He has demonstrated that he is one of, if not THE greatest post season pitcher ever. He earned one championship almost all by himself. All this and he is making about 10M per for the next 3 years.

No Price is too high for a buying team.

And I AM advocating trading Bum.
Yes folks, we've sunk that low.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since this season is already over, let's talk about free agents. Here's who I see are set to potentially test the open market in November:
Nick Hundley
Michael Morse
Eduardo Nunez
Madison Bumgarner (team option for 18 & 19)
Matt Cain (team option for 18)
Johnny Cueto (opt out clause)
Matt Moore (team option for 18 & 19)

Assuming that none of these guys get traded within the next month (I guess that a couple do), would you re-sign and/or pick up the team option for any of them?

If Bumgarner is still with the team, then yes!, pick up the 2018 option. Otherwise, I'm okay with letting everyone walk.

Hundley can be replaced with someone far cheaper (Brown or Federowicz).

Morse can be replaced by Gustavo Cabrera right now.

Nunez can move on for Arroyo or Jones.

Cain needs to be declined, but I'm open to re-signing him on the cheap. Not many options in AAA right now, and the team will need a starter or two. Might as well bring him back for kicks, because anyone else will be just as painful. However, if Gregorio and Beede show themselves ready for 2018, then just let Cain walk. Try a year of Bumgarner, Samardzija, Blach, Beede and Gregorio.

Cueto, I really hope you exercise that opt-out clause. Its going to be better for both you and the team. You don't want to stick around for 2018.

Moore is less. Less of Moore is more. His ship has sailed. No option picked up there, thank you.

RamsFan88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,416.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2-3 TOP prospects. Like 2 top 10s and a top 100. Something like that. What contender would not want Bum, at just about any price? He has demonstrated that he is one of, if not THE greatest post season pitcher ever. He earned one championship almost all by himself. All this and he is making about 10M per for the next 3 years.

No Price is too high for a buying team.

And I AM advocating trading Bum.

A buddy of mine and I were talking about Bum being traded to the Yanks and how many of their top prospects we could snag. I thought 4 prospects would be fair price for Bum. Something like Torres, Adams, Rutherford and Fowler for Bum.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since this season is already over, let's talk about free agents. Here's who I see are set to potentially test the open market in November:
Nick Hundley
Michael Morse
Eduardo Nunez
Madison Bumgarner (team option for 18 & 19)
Matt Cain (team option for 18)
Johnny Cueto (opt out clause)
Matt Moore (team option for 18 & 19)

Assuming that none of these guys get traded within the next month (I guess that a couple do), would you re-sign and/or pick up the team option for any of them?

If Bumgarner is still with the team, then yes!, pick up the 2018 option. Otherwise, I'm okay with letting everyone walk.

Hundley can be replaced with someone far cheaper (Brown or Federowicz).

Morse can be replaced by Gustavo Cabrera right now.

Nunez can move on for Arroyo or Jones.

Cain needs to be declined, but I'm open to re-signing him on the cheap. Not many options in AAA right now, and the team will need a starter or two. Might as well bring him back for kicks, because anyone else will be just as painful. However, if Gregorio and Beede show themselves ready for 2018, then just let Cain walk. Try a year of Bumgarner, Samardzija, Blach, Beede and Gregorio.

Cueto, I really hope you exercise that opt-out clause. Its going to be better for both you and the team. You don't want to stick around for 2018.

Moore is less. Less of Moore is more. His ship has sailed. No option picked up there, thank you.

Moore has been hot garbage, but you still gotta pick that option up. It's chump change ($9M)

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A buddy of mine and I were talking about Bum being traded to the Yanks and how many of their top prospects we could snag. I thought 4 prospects would be fair price for Bum. Something like Torres, Adams, Rutherford and Fowler for Bum.
I am not going to pretend to know other teams' prospects, so I will not comment on that package outside of saying that I am not sure the Yanks will trade Torres right now due to his injury. They would be selling WAY low on him right now. Also, I am not sure the Giants would make a deal with the Yanks that doesn't include Frazier.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moore has been hot garbage, but you still gotta pick that option up. It's chump change ($9M)

Hottest garbage in baseball, worst ERA in the league. 2nd? Matty Ice. I guess I'm saying, we may want to trade all pitchers named Matt all the way down to A ball LOL

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not going to pretend to know other teams' prospects, so I will not comment on that package outside of saying that I am not sure the Yanks will trade Torres right now due to his injury. They would be selling WAY low on him right now. Also, I am not sure the Giants would make a deal with the Yanks that doesn't include Frazier.

Don't you have to them go full Astros/Cubs and trade Posey? Get 8 top shelf prospects and see how it looks in 2-3 years with some high draft picks? I just don't think the FO knows how to do that kind of thing.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't you have to them go full Astros/Cubs and trade Posey? Get 8 top shelf prospects and see how it looks in 2-3 years with some high draft picks? I just don't think the FO knows how to do that kind of thing.
You need someone around who is worth watching. Maybe when/if Garcia is ready, but until then, Posey stays out. He can help the hitters AND pitchers as they learn the game. Then he can be the elder statesman of the next window.

I think there is a possibility that with the class we will get as a result of this year and the package we could get for Bum, we may be able to contend by '19 or '20 and Posey will still be a net positive player.

Let me also say that while I think dealing Bum is the smart play, I don't expect the team to do it. The fan base will be too up in arms. The Giants have not sold a star since '94/'95, and I think we all remember the uproar that caused (in the short term). The fact that it was a great trade for the Giants may not be enough to push the Giants to do it again.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hottest garbage in baseball, worst ERA in the league. 2nd? Matty Ice. I guess I'm saying, we may want to trade all pitchers named Matt all the way down to A ball LOL
That got me curious. That would be a package, in addition to the two big league guys, of a veteran left handed reliever doing fairly well in AAA, a left handed starter pitching well in AA, another left handed starter who was getting killed in AA before getting injured (and who's too old for AA ball), a young left handed prospect with a lot of potential but very mixed result in high A and a bit too old righthander who's pitched okay in low and high A ball this year but who is currently injured.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only one Matt for 2018, in my opinion (if any). If he is cheaper than Cain, then I say maybe.

It cost's almost as much to buyout Matt Cain ($7M) than it does to keep Moore. Add in the money you give to Cain to stay, why don't you keep the guy who at least has some potential.

Matt Cain is proving to be done, unfortunately

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It cost's almost as much to buyout Matt Cain ($7M) than it does to keep Moore. Add in the money you give to Cain to stay, why don't you keep the guy who at least has some potential.

Matt Cain is proving to be done, unfortunately
If I had to choose to keep one of the Matt's, I would choose the one that is cheaper to the club. However, Moore's numbers really don't justify $9 million, in my opinion. They could probably sign a guy on a minor league deal and get similar results.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I had to choose to keep one of the Matt's, I would choose the one that is cheaper to the club. However, Moore's numbers really don't justify $9 million, in my opinion. They could probably sign a guy on a minor league deal and get similar results.
But Moore has a shit ton more potential than any guy you will find on the trash heap.

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lasportzphan, I know that you are a nice guy and trying not to hurt any feelings, but I think we all know you meant this:
maxresdefault.jpg
I appreciate your senses of humor.... I'm a bit surprised as to how bad this Giants team looks. However, playing championship caliber baseball takes a toll after a while. It's not easy to sustain without a reset button at some point. It took the Dodgers farm system quite a few years to recover from the McCourt debacle.

That said, the front office is shrewd and will have a plan.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I appreciate your senses of humor.... I'm a bit surprised as to how bad this Giants team looks. However, playing championship caliber baseball takes a toll after a while. It's not easy to sustain without a reset button at some point. It took the Dodgers farm system quite a few years to recover from the McCourt debacle.

That said, the front office is shrewd and will have a plan.
We are all surprised at how bad this team has played. It was like the entire roster aged 5 years during the ASB last year. The drop was pretty steep.

Your Dodgers look pretty good this year. Can't say I'm rooting for them but I wouldn't be surprised if they go deep in the playoffs this year.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are all surprised at how bad this team has played. It was like the entire roster aged 5 years during the ASB last year. The drop was pretty steep.

Your Dodgers look pretty good this year. Can't say I'm rooting for them but I wouldn't be surprised if they go deep in the playoffs this year.

But not all the way.... :D

RamsFan88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,416.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You need someone around who is worth watching. Maybe when/if Garcia is ready, but until then, Posey stays out. He can help the hitters AND pitchers as they learn the game. Then he can be the elder statesman of the next window.

I think there is a possibility that with the class we will get as a result of this year and the package we could get for Bum, we may be able to contend by '19 or '20 and Posey will still be a net positive player.

Let me also say that while I think dealing Bum is the smart play, I don't expect the team to do it. The fan base will be too up in arms. The Giants have not sold a star since '94/'95, and I think we all remember the uproar that caused (in the short term). The fact that it was a great trade for the Giants may not be enough to push the Giants to do it again.

Hank says 0% chance Giants trade Bumgarner. I got ripped for bringing up the question, but that's Twitter for you.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hank says 0% chance Giants trade Bumgarner. I got ripped for bringing up the question, but that's Twitter for you.
I would be SHOCKED if Bum is traded. It ain't happening.

Doesn't mean that I don't think it SHOULD happen.

RamsFan88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,416.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be SHOCKED if Bum is traded. It ain't happening.

Doesn't mean that I don't think it SHOULD happen.

If they can't work out a long term deal, gotta wonder if maybe the off-season of '18 would be a more appropriate time to think about it, depending on how the team performs.