• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Spring Training 2017

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every time I check these threads it reminds me that I really need to go to Spring Training some day. I've got too many friends who live in Arizona not to make the trip down there. Committing to it next year if I don't take a job out of the country.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So it sounds like Felix was lights out in his first start back from the WBC. Six innings of 1-hit ball and the one hit appears to have been the result of a defensive shift. I've heard conflicting things about where his fastball is sitting at velocity wise this spring, but it does sound as if he's throwing harder than he was at this time last year.

Considering how well his two WBC starts went and how well this start went, I think he's primed for a big bounce back year this season. Normally for veteran players you don't worry much about results, but given the kind of year Felix is coming off of (by his standards anyway), I think it's great to see the results he's been getting. I think he has one more spring start left and I hope it's on TV.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every time I check these threads it reminds me that I really need to go to Spring Training some day. I've got too many friends who live in Arizona not to make the trip down there. Committing to it next year if I don't take a job out of the country.
I haven't been in 6 years, but it's tons of fun and I definitely want to go back soon. This year would have been particularly great to go with how cold and wet it's been up here in the PNW, but hopefully I'll find a window within the next year or 2 to get down there. I did look into it a bit this year just to price it out, and it looks like it's quite a bit more expensive than the last time I was there. We would go every year when I was stationed in El Paso, and it was like $4 for a spot on the berm I believe.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't been in 6 years, but it's tons of fun and I definitely want to go back soon. This year would have been particularly great to go with how cold and wet it's been up here in the PNW, but hopefully I'll find a window within the next year or 2 to get down there. I did look into it a bit this year just to price it out, and it looks like it's quite a bit more expensive than the last time I was there. We would go every year when I was stationed in El Paso, and it was like $4 for a spot on the berm I believe.
The prices are getting out of control! I bought tickets for tonights game against the Angles in Tempe and the tickets were $30. At $30 it's not too bad for great seats behind the plate, but then Tempe Diablo Stadium hit me with an additional $25 "facility charge" & $5.75 "service fee"; for 2 tickets it cost me $124.80. That is absolutely ridiculous, and it's even worse for a game in Scottsdale at the SF Giants park. We wanted to go last night to see Felix, but those prices cost more than a ticket to a regular season D-Backs game. I recommend for anyone looking to come down for ST to do their homework and select games at certain facilities over others. The M's venue in Peoria is one of the least expensive but it's on the west side which for us is quite the drive.

Don't get me wrong, these games are a blast and worth the trip!

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The prices are getting out of control! I bought tickets for tonights game against the Angles in Tempe and the tickets were $30. At $30 it's not too bad for great seats behind the plate, but then Tempe Diablo Stadium hit me with an additional $25 "facility charge" & $5.75 "service fee"; for 2 tickets it cost me $124.80. That is absolutely ridiculous, and it's even worse for a game in Scottsdale at the SF Giants park. We wanted to go last night to see Felix, but those prices cost more than a ticket to a regular season D-Backs game. I recommend for anyone looking to come down for ST to do their homework and select games at certain facilities over others. The M's venue in Peoria is one of the least expensive but it's on the west side which for us is quite the drive.

Don't get me wrong, these games are a blast and worth the trip!

That is one big reason I have never gone there. I remember back in '03 where the stands were half full and $20 got you front row. Those days are gone. When living there we would buy the tickets at the stadium and save all those redic fees, but this year I had to buy all on-line and it added up big time. A lot of people now buy multiple season tickets and then sell them on stubhub for a major profit. A guy at Texas ballpark told me he sold one weeks worth of games and that paid for all his season tickets.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you think this clinches a spot on the Opening Day roster for Motter? I kinda figured he was the frontrunner for the utility infield spot anyway, but this move would seemingly either give the 1st base job to Valencia outright or open up what would have been Vogelbach's platoon role for someone else to take.

I thought he was a lock before this, but this move was made to get him more AB's I believe. He is a hacker, but I like the guy. But it also shows that once again we have one of the worst 1B position in the league. Where is Olerud when you need him?

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With O'Malley temporarily unavailable, Motter is going to make the team. The only position player battle left is between Heredia and Gamel. Heredia seems to go okay in a utility role. I think Gamel needs to start. So, I'm thinking Heredia makes the team and Gamel starts in Tacoma. He can rack up good numbers down there and make interesting trade bait in July.

I like Gamel better, but I think you are right. The question now becomes; will they go to the 8 man rotation they are considering? That leaves 3 bench players with one being a catcher. If they go with a regular 4 man bench, then Gamel and Heredia could both make the team with Motter and Ruiz.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Gamel better, but I think you are right. The question now becomes; will they go to the 8 man rotation they are considering? That leaves 3 bench players with one being a catcher. If they go with a regular 4 man bench, then Gamel and Heredia could both make the team with Motter and Ruiz.

The speed, defensive capabilities and versatility on the position player side of things should allow the M's to carry an 8 man bullpen. We no longer have to choose between replacing guys like Smith and Cruz late in games for defensive purposes and losing their bats or taking our chances with their defense just to keep their bats in the lineup.

Valencia might not be a great fielder, but he's versatile. If they keep Motter on the roster, he's another versatile guy who can do everything but pitch if we need him to. The guys in the running for the utility outfield spot should be able to at least handle the corner outfield spots and any of our starters out there can play center. If O'Malley is able to come back from his surgery in-time for the start of the regular season and the M's want even more versatility, he's another guy who can play anywhere on the field.

The bullpen, as suggested by pretty much anyone who has talked about this team, is the biggest question mark and having eight guys in there should give Servais more options and keep any one guy from being overworked, which is part of the reason the bullpen wasn't so good last year. Having a second lefty out there behind "Scrabble", whether it's Miranda or someone else, is a nice option to have and it's easier to do that with 8 guys out there. Miranda also gives us a nice long relief option in-case one of the starters comes out of the gate slow.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Having a second lefty out there behind "Scrabble", whether it's Miranda or someone else, is a nice option to have and it's easier to do that with 8 guys out there. Miranda also gives us a nice long relief option in-case one of the starters comes out of the gate slow.

I really hope they don't make Miranda a bullpen arm. I still think he has upside as a starter and is our number one option when we need a replacement.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Servais says they'll want to keep Overton in starting role (as with Miranda), so he's not bullpen candidate at moment. Other lefty options right now for bullpen, behind Rzepczynski, are Pazos, Hagadone and Kiekhefer.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Servais says they'll want to keep Overton in starting role (as with Miranda), so he's not bullpen candidate at moment. Other lefty options right now for bullpen, behind Rzepczynski, are Pazos, Hagadone and Kiekhefer.
I am glad they want Miranda in the starter role. Same with Overton, he pitched a really nice game today.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the second lefty out of the pen. I think Hagadone has had the best spring of those listed (small sample size for all of them though). Hagadone isn't on the 40 man so a change would need to be made for that to happen. Anyone think they could go with only 1 lefty to start the season?

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am glad they want Miranda in the starter role. Same with Overton, he pitched a really nice game today.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the second lefty out of the pen. I think Hagadone has had the best spring of those listed (small sample size for all of them though). Hagadone isn't on the 40 man so a change would need to be made for that to happen. Anyone think they could go with only 1 lefty to start the season?

No way with one lefty. I think they had that last year because of no options and management hated it from what I read. Not sure if the 2nd leftie is currently in the organization. Just a feeling I get, but have not read anything about it. We will know soon.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Greg Johns‏Verified account @GregJohnsMLB 2h2 hours ago

Mariners send down pitchers Chris Heston, Cody Martin, Nick Hagadone and Jean Machi.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way with one lefty. I think they had that last year because of no options and management hated it from what I read. Not sure if the 2nd leftie is currently in the organization. Just a feeling I get, but have not read anything about it. We will know soon.
Interesting thought, wouldn't surprise me. I am thinking they end up going with Pazos if they stay in the org.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting thought, wouldn't surprise me. I am thinking they end up going with Pazos if they stay in the org.

Just thought the same thing today instead of going after one outside the org. Good call.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is really looking pretty good. He has earned his spot on the roster.

He has. My only worry is that all his homers have been off of centered pitches which he probably won't see a lot of during regular season. But when pitchers make mistakes, he crushes them. Not bad to have for a bench player PH'ing late in games.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just thought the same thing today instead of going after one outside the org. Good call.
Yeah. When you look at the roster as it stands right now its the only option that doesn't require further 40 man adjustments. Kinda why I thought they would be open to Miranda or Overton being in the pen but it seems they like them as starters, which I agree with.