• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Spring Training 2017

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now much insight going to games compared to going to the practices in past years. Do think Dyson (who I wanted 5 years ago while watching him in spring training a lot at Surprise where I lived) will be special if he continues to just put the bat on the ball and use his legs and not try to do too much. Good all-around game. We actually have a chance to watch a legit outfield play together for the first time in over a decade. No DH's or 1B's or Utility guy trying to play out there on a regular basis.

I think O'Malley should be the utility guy to start the season, but I think M's go with Motter. They just keep bragging on him and say very little about O'Malley. Freeman has lost out.

My next 5 SP in order to start the season:
1- Miranda
2- Moore
3- Heston
4- Unsworth
5- De Jong

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now much insight going to games compared to going to the practices in past years. Do think Dyson (who I wanted 5 years ago while watching him in spring training a lot at Surprise where I lived) will be special if he continues to just put the bat on the ball and use his legs and not try to do too much. Good all-around game. We actually have a chance to watch a legit outfield play together for the first time in over a decade. No DH's or 1B's or Utility guy trying to play out there on a regular basis.

I think O'Malley should be the utility guy to start the season, but I think M's go with Motter. They just keep bragging on him and say very little about O'Malley. Freeman has lost out.

My next 5 SP in order to start the season:
1- Miranda
2- Moore
3- Heston
4- Unsworth
5- De Jong
I agree it should be O'Malley, and I think you are correct they will go with Motter. It comes across that they have already decided on Motter and are trying to sell/convince everyone that he should be the guy. I like what I have seen from Motter so far but I still have the opinion that O'Malley has an edge on him so far.

I think that is the "best" next 5 we have we, my only change is I think you could put Whalen in there. But I like to look at it the way they have the 40 man set up at the time, obviously they can mix that up. So right now I have:
1. Miranda
2. Heston
3-5. Overton, Whalen, De Jong (no particular order)

I am a big fan of Moore, easily one of my favorite guys from that draft he was the most polished guy we got from that draft. He should end up in a Mariners uniform before the season is over.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that is the "best" next 5 we have we, my only change is I think you could put Whalen in there. But I like to look at it the way they have the 40 man set up at the time, obviously they can mix that up. So right now I have:
1. Miranda
2. Heston
3-5. Overton, Whalen, De Jong (no particular order)

Overton looks like pen material to me. I could be wrong. Whalen just hasn't been given a look as far as I have seen or I would be right there with you. The big kid in that deal looks good though.

Big Moore fan as well.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Overton looks like pen material to me. I could be wrong. Whalen just hasn't been given a look as far as I have seen or I would be right there with you. The big kid in that deal looks good though.

Big Moore fan as well.
Probably right with Overton, just of the guys on the 40 man those are basically the 5 guys with starter experience. Being that it wouldn't be unlikely to need all of those guys at once at the major league level, it makes more sense to view him as a reliever at this point and convert him to a permanent relief role. Fact is if the M's start taking multiple injuries to the rotation I think you see Moore get at added to the 40 man.

Who we see get the most starts in AAA this season is probably closer to the original next 5 list you mentioned earlier. Just depends what happens with Miranda and Heston to start the season. I could see Povse and Whalen getting in on that mix as well.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice to see Smyly and Felix pitch well yesterday. Offense has been scoring runs in ST without a lot of the big cogs in the lineup. Maybe everything will finally come together for the M's this year.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice to see Smyly and Felix pitch well yesterday. Offense has been scoring runs in ST without a lot of the big cogs in the lineup. Maybe everything will finally come together for the M's this year.
good point.... On top of the pitching It is also nice to see the bats we have in the WBC doing well. Cruz is hitting well coming up clutch for the DR, smashing some bombs. And Cano had a clutch RBI single too. The Dominican Republic has a stacked lineup with an FU bullpen.

When you look at some of these wbc team lineups it is pretty crazy and fun to watch these guys play together and against other.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
couple of guys get optioned today. Boog Powell and Chase De Jong.

It was nice to see Powell absolutely tear the cover off the ball this spring, he hit .577 (15 for 26). Hopefully he doesn't get caught with PED again. Powell and Gamel are very similar players in a lot of ways but the front office seems to favor Gamel at this point.

De Jong could use some AAA time in my opinion but he could easily be a rotation guy in the future.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
couple of guys get optioned today. Boog Powell and Chase De Jong.

It was nice to see Powell absolutely tear the cover off the ball this spring, he hit .577 (15 for 26). Hopefully he doesn't get caught with PED again. Powell and Gamel are very similar players in a lot of ways but the front office seems to favor Gamel at this point.

De Jong could use some AAA time in my opinion but he could easily be a rotation guy in the future.

Powell is in the doghouse for sure and still has 4 games left on his suspension.

De Jong to me is a fringe #5 SP in the future. I just don't see a lot of movement on his pitches and he throws in low 90's at best.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We sat right behind M's dugout in first row nearest home plate. This homer was great to see, but his throw to the plate getting the runner later was even better for me. He is no joke. And he is short compared to most players, but strong.

I continue to like Tyler Smith. He just looks the part, but is a couple years away.

Povse impressed again. Will start in Arkansas per a report I just read. A lot of upside there.

I still like Miranda and hope they keep him as a starter even if it means in the minors for now.

Nice homer by Velancia, but other than that I have been disappointed in him. Early I know, but not showing much to me.

Love going to those night games. Shorts and tank at 10 pm. Nothing like it.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Powell is in the doghouse for sure and still has 4 games left on his suspension.

De Jong to me is a fringe #5 SP in the future. I just don't see a lot of movement on his pitches and he throws in low 90's at best.
De Jong's skill set is that inning eating back of the rotation type guy that will need to rely on locating his pitches cause he ain't going to blow you away. I get a shorter Chris Young type pitcher. I am very curious to see what he does at AAA and if his numbers stay consistent with what he has done in his previous minor league stops.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We sat right behind M's dugout in first row nearest home plate. This homer was great to see, but his throw to the plate getting the runner later was even better for me. He is no joke. And he is short compared to most players, but strong.

I continue to like Tyler Smith. He just looks the part, but is a couple years away.

Povse impressed again. Will start in Arkansas per a report I just read. A lot of upside there.

I still like Miranda and hope they keep him as a starter even if it means in the minors for now.

Nice homer by Velancia, but other than that I have been disappointed in him. Early I know, but not showing much to me.

Love going to those night games. Shorts and tank at 10 pm. Nothing like it.
Haven't seen much of Tyler Smith through the years but he is sure having a nice spring. I am glad he is getting a bunch of AB's.

I was hoping Valencia or Vogelbach would really take off in spring but I haven't seen much so far to suggest that. At least Valencia has a decent history at the major league level.

I am curious have you had a chance to catch any of Thyago Vieira?

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haven't seen much of Tyler Smith through the years but he is sure having a nice spring. I am glad he is getting a bunch of AB's.

I was hoping Valencia or Vogelbach would really take off in spring but I haven't seen much so far to suggest that. At least Valencia has a decent history at the major league level.

I am curious have you had a chance to catch any of Thyago Vieira?

Vogelbach needs to start driving the ball more. He looks satisfied at making contact with oppo bloopers. I agree that Valencia has the veteran advantage and I wouldn't cut him at this point.

I have only seen Vieira on TV a couple times. Straight fastball with control issues as advertised. He will start in the minors and hopefully can get some control because you can't teach triple digits.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
moyer.jpg

Moyer closest to us on left.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PEORIA, Ariz.

Three of the Mariners’ top prospects were among six players reassigned Sunday to minor-league camp.

Outfielder Tyler O’Neill was reassigned after the Mariners’ 3-2 loss to Texas in Surprise. He entered the spring at No. 2 in the TNT Top 10 preseason ranking of the organization’s top prospects.

Right-handed pitchers Andrew Moore and Max Povse were among five players reassigned prior to the game. They are ranked eighth and ninth in the TNT Top 10 and are expected to open the season at Double-A Arkansas.

In addition to Moore and Povse, the Mariners reassigned catcher Steve Baron and right-handed pitchers Christian Bergman and Ryan Weber prior to the game.

The six moves leave 45 players on the big-league camp roster, including 10 non-roster players. More cuts are expected later this week after the Mariners regain several players who had been taking part in the World Baseball Classic.