• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Spring Ball Uodates:

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we can all agree that we will never know for certain whether or not Golson would have won those games. What we do know is that until the NC game he had never lost a game. I never saw Hundley play a game so i don't know much about him, and I think Marriota lost 2 of the 4 games I saw him play (two against Stanford and two bowl games). While Mariota lost the two games he started against Stanford, Golson won the only one he started against them. So again, based on wins, at this point I think I'll go with Golson. Now, as for Winston, he is also undefeated, with more wins. So I'd have to take Winston at this time based on what I've seen.

Andrew Luck never won it all or even got to the NCG. Pretty sure most people think Lucks was a pretty good QB. Kessler was QB when USC beat Stanford this year. I'd take Marriota in a heartbeat no matter which ones team lost to Stanford. You're confusing team success with the ability of the QB . There are great QBs on teams that wont win and some average QBs on winning teams. AJ McCarron is the QB on the team with the most success coming out in the draft but he probably wont be in the top 10 QBs taken.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can take who ever you want but Tommy put up better numbers the year befor Golson started and put up better numbers this past year but he didnt have the ND defense Golson had that was allowing teams one or less TDs like Golson had. Tommy has a better winning percentage than Clausen had. No one in his right mind would take Tommy over Clausen. Clausen would have tore up college football if he had gone to USC ( if he had the players around him that Pete had) so he wasn't a bad QB because he didn't win, he just had no defense and sometimes no O line. It's like saying you'd take Seattle QB Wilson over Brady or Manning or Breese or Luck because he just won a super bowl. He did his job but his defense was the reason they won it all just like in 2012 it was NDs defense. Marcus Marriota in a ND uniform in 2012 would have been ridiculous and you would have had a major upgrade in the QB play. Your defense would have been dominant and your offense would have had much more TDs. I'm sure Tommy would have had splinters from not moving off that bench. Wilson is just a better QB right now thats why anyone would take him over EV. Hundley and Marriota would be taken (if you're starting a college team) by everyone before Golson also even with knowledge that the teams they played on have lost some games.

I'm not that concerned about the "numbers" they put up. I'll go with the record they put up. Would I take Wilson over Manning or Brady, I don't know. Let's just say I'd take the season he had over the seasons the other two had, even though they put up better "numbers". Just like I'd prefer to get to the NC game this year over having a QB who puts up Clausen type numbers but loses 6 games.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Andrew Luck never won it all or even got to the NCG. Pretty sure most people think Lucks was a pretty good QB. Kessler was QB when USC beat Stanford this year. I'd take Marriota in a heartbeat no matter which ones team lost to Stanford. You're confusing team success with the ability of the QB . There are great QBs on teams that wont win and some average QBs on winning teams. AJ McCarron is the QB on the team with the most success coming out in the draft but he probably wont be in the top 10 QBs taken.

Actually, this is my point. I'd rather ND replicate the four seasons that Alabama had with McCarron than the seasons that Stanford had with Luck. You're confusing putting up great numbers with leading a team. I don't care where they get drafted.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, this is my point. I'd rather ND replicate the four seasons that Alabama had with McCarron than the seasons that Stanford had with Luck. You're confusing putting up great numbers with leading a team. I don't care where they get drafted.

Well thats a different argument. Would you take Alabamas success the past four years along with their QB/ Of course you would anyone would. But if you just had to pick a QB would you pick MacCarron over Luck? Pretty sure even Saban would take Andrew. I'm not knocking EG but he's potential right now. No one (maybe other than you) thinks he had that much to do with NDs 2012 season success. A few games he was replaced late in games when the Irsh got to the red zone and many games ND won because the defense just din't let the other team score much.

Last edited by a moderator:

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A review of the ND 2012 season found online-

Offense – Passing – C+
The vertical game was obviously the biggest weakness of a so-so offensive unit in 2012. Redshirt freshman quarterback Everett Golson started off slow, but improved as the season went on. That being said, however, his stat line says it all as to why this gets an “average” grade: 187 completions on 318 attempts (58.8%), 2,405 yards, 12 touchdowns, and 6 interceptions. Not too bad for his first year under the helm against the type of competition Notre Dame normally plays, but not good enough. Not yet, anyway. Look for big improvements in Golson’s game next year.

NDKane21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Winston "took" his team the NC and won it. Golson was along for the ride. Marriota and Hundly have done more as QBs than Golson has done. Manti had waaayyyyy more to do than Golson did. Tommy probably had more to do with it than Golson.

This is bull shit. If you think EG was "just along for the ride" then reading the rest of your posts is a waste of my time.

No shit, your other two guys should have done more as a QB considering they played the game of football last year.

Sit in your chair and watch, Winston I'll give, the rest EG is better than. What tool does he not have?

NDKane21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bret Hundley 67.2% completion percentage 24 TD 9 INT 84.8 adj Qbr
Marcus Marriota 63.5 % 31 TD 4 INT 89.5
J. Winston 66.9 40 TD 10 INT 88.5
E. Golson 58.8 12 TD 6 INT 68.8

I don't know about you but one doesn't look like the others.

EG's stats last year were 0 TDs, 0 INTs...in his defense the wide receiving core YAC wasn't too impressive either...I blame the fat girl down the street. But I've "heard" he may have been out your way in sunny Cali banging bad bitches with his time off, could have been toss the football around too with someone who knows a little bit about tossing a football.

NDKane21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ummm Tommy had more TDs and a higher QBR and threw for more yards than Golson. No one in the world would ( even BK if given a polygraph) take either one or both over Hundley, and Marriota. If not for the defense ( and getting bailed out by Tommy a few times) , Golson would not have won all those games. I saw Hundley play twice last year and there's no way he's getting pulled like Golson was for someone else to get a red zone TD. Jimmy Clausen lost a ton of games. He was a much better QB than Golson has been so far even though his "team" didn't win.

We all love Tommy too.

I ask, who was coach going to go to? Someone who won major college football games in the past? Did coach have a heavy experienced back up? And, did this other guy "sort of kind of" lead his team to the NC game last year? I also want to know really how good looking those girls are out in South Cali...I'm coming out some day.

Keep in mind, more than 365 days have passed since EG was even on campus. This dude was every bit of a Frosh two years ago. He hasn't just grown big, but matured more.

Plus all the tools he posses, more than anyone you listed minus Winston, doesn't hurt.

NDKane21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can take who ever you want but Tommy put up better numbers the year befor Golson started and put up better numbers this past year but he didnt have the ND defense Golson had that was allowing teams one or less TDs like Golson had. Tommy has a better winning percentage than Clausen had. No one in his right mind would take Tommy over Clausen. Clausen would have tore up college football if he had gone to USC ( if he had the players around him that Pete had) so he wasn't a bad QB because he didn't win, he just had no defense and sometimes no O line. It's like saying you'd take Seattle QB Wilson over Brady or Manning or Breese or Luck because he just won a super bowl. He did his job but his defense was the reason they won it all just like in 2012 it was NDs defense. Marcus Marriota in a ND uniform in 2012 would have been ridiculous and you would have had a major upgrade in the QB play. Your defense would have been dominant and your offense would have had much more TDs. I'm sure Tommy would have had splinters from not moving off that bench. Wilson is just a better QB right now thats why anyone would take him over EV. Hundley and Marriota would be taken (if you're starting a college team) by everyone before Golson also even with knowledge that the teams they played on have lost some games.

I read like half, why are you talking about Tommy Rees? Jimmy Clausen, I agree, would have played on a much better team if BK were his coach. He was damn good, asshole though, met him a few times.

NDKane21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm not. I'd take EG over Winston for sure this upcoming year. Purguy would take Winston. I like my guy a lot having faced and overcome adversity now expected to lead this gloried program.

NDKane21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm happy you said this. I live in Indy and obviously follow ND, who plays Stanford. He is a great QB but my beef with him is your exact point, doesn't win championships.

Put him next to EG and watch them throw a football. He's pretty fast though, EG is plenty fast. EG has all the tools.

NDKane21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A review of the ND 2012 season found online-

Offense – Passing – C+
The vertical game was obviously the biggest weakness of a so-so offensive unit in 2012. Redshirt freshman quarterback Everett Golson started off slow, but improved as the season went on. That being said, however, his stat line says it all as to why this gets an “average” grade: 187 completions on 318 attempts (58.8%), 2,405 yards, 12 touchdowns, and 6 interceptions. Not too bad for his first year under the helm against the type of competition Notre Dame normally plays, but not good enough. Not yet, anyway. Look for big improvements in Golson’s game next year.

Thank you.

This must have been wrote two years ago. Was this before or after he was ineligible?

I see 2012...I'm kind of sort of joking.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ummm Tommy had more TDs and a higher QBR and threw for more yards than Golson. No one in the world would ( even BK if given a polygraph) take either one or both over Hundley, and Marriota. If not for the defense ( and getting bailed out by Tommy a few times) , Golson would not have won all those games. I saw Hundley play twice last year and there's no way he's getting pulled like Golson was for someone else to get a red zone TD. Jimmy Clausen lost a ton of games. He was a much better QB than Golson has been so far even though his "team" didn't win.

So do you think the average ND fan would choose to have Clausen over Golson for next year?

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes Tommy has better numbers than Golson, but Golson only started one year and sure he looked shaky at times but when did Tommy not look shaky at times and he was a senior. Yes the defense wasn't as good and did give up more points but Tommy and some other players had some terrible turnovers that put the defense in a bad spot leading to touchdowns.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So do you think the average ND fan would choose to have Clausen over Golson for next year?

I'm not a ND fan so I can just give you what I think. Despite Tommy having a better winning percentage I would think most ND fans would take Clausen to QB a team over Tommy. I would think right now it would probably be 50-50 if it was between Clausen and Golson with older NDs probably recognizing how good of a passer Jimmy was ( I would be in that boat). Personally I think some of you guys are a little to enamored with Everettes ability to run and not remembering that he wasn;t the most accurate thrower. He had flashes but I don't think teams feared his throwing. Maybe Golson ( ooops earthquake).

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry had to make sure we didn;t get another bigger earthquake.lol. I was saying maybe Golson does become very accurate and if he does well he could be more dangerous than Jimmy. Will be interesting to see. At least your QB situation is pretty much set.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm happy you said this. I live in Indy and obviously follow ND, who plays Stanford. He is a great QB but my beef with him is your exact point, doesn't win championships.

Put him next to EG and watch them throw a football. He's pretty fast though, EG is plenty fast. EG has all the tools.

Most NFL experts would just laugh at you. Luck has been amazing. His over all team has been crappy and he's taken them further than anyone can. He has the ability to search out his second third and fourth options and deliver a catchable ball when the defense is hot on his heals. Golson was probably getting to his second read if that . I know it's not a fair comparison because Luck is way more experienced but compared to other QBs with similar experience Luck stands way above them. Luck right now is a better QB than R Wilson and Kapernick even though those two have better teams. You Put Luck right now on SF and they are super bowl favorites.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spring Practice Week 2 update:

Next week the Pads get put on. We will find out more this week. This week not much going on. They had spring break.

QB Comp it over. LOL Golson supposedly running away with it. I guess that is good news but the negative is Zaire not developing faster. This week is a good test. The good news was Zaire is the back up and that was a big reason Hendrix left.

This week is a Big Comp for the RB's. ND for once has a lot of Depth at RB with a lot of talent. Bryant and Folston should remind us of Wood and Theo. This combo should be better. Also throw in Cam who Is a work horse.

That's all I got guys

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most NFL experts would just laugh at you. Luck has been amazing. His over all team has been crappy and he's taken them further than anyone can. He has the ability to search out his second third and fourth options and deliver a catchable ball when the defense is hot on his heals. Golson was probably getting to his second read if that . I know it's not a fair comparison because Luck is way more experienced but compared to other QBs with similar experience Luck stands way above them. Luck right now is a better QB than R Wilson and Kapernick even though those two have better teams. You Put Luck right now on SF and they are super bowl favorites.

I feel like we are debating two different issues. You seem to be saying that certain QB's would be better pros than others, while I'm talking about who I would prefer to have at QB for ND this year. I'd take Golson over Rees or Clausen. I truly don't care who would be a better pro. I'm not saying that I would take Golson over Winston, but I am saying that Golson got us to the NC game, and Mariota and Hundley haven't been able to do that for their teams. (obviously Winston took it one step further than Golson did)

It really sounds like you are more interested in stats than wins or losses, which I guess probably makes sense as an SC fan.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spring Practice Week 2 update:

Next week the Pads get put on. We will find out more this week. This week not much going on. They had spring break.

QB Comp it over. LOL Golson supposedly running away with it. I guess that is good news but the negative is Zaire not developing faster. This week is a good test. The good news was Zaire is the back up and that was a big reason Hendrix left.

This week is a Big Comp for the RB's. ND for once has a lot of Depth at RB with a lot of talent. Bryant and Folston should remind us of Wood and Theo. This combo should be better. Also throw in Cam who Is a work horse.

That's all I got guys

It's supposed to get into the 50's in SB this week, so hopefully we can get outdoors for a couple of practices.