• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Spring Ball Uodates:

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think offense is going to have to carry us this year. I just don't see this D being very good this year. Too young.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think offense is going to have to carry us this year. I just don't see this D being very good this year. Too young.

I tend to agree, but depending on the injuries, I can see the defense being a lot better than expected. I see us in a 4-3 with Williams moved to a DE spot. The DB's should be much improved (with Redfield and Shumate at safety) and a lb corps of Smith, Councell and Grace. (if Councell and Grace are healed).

NDKane21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Honest question: Do you see a better QB in the nation than EG? Winston included.

I want to see that quarterback.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Winston is better.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Update:

Amir is now a slot Receiver or a H Back now.

James Onwualu going from WR to Safety

Farley from Safety to CB.

Stanley moving from RT to LT

I Williams from OLB to DE

Randolph from OLB to ILB. (Depth issues)

Turner from Safety to Sam LB(drop LB)

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Update:

Amir is now a slot Receiver or a H Back now.

James Onwualu going from WR to Safety

Farley from Safety to CB.

Stanley moving from RT to LT

I Williams from OLB to DE

Randolph from OLB to ILB. (Depth issues)

Turner from Safety to Sam LB(drop LB)

I like these moves, especially Williams to DE and Amir to slot.

NDKane21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Winston is better.

Insightful...your $.02 is superb

Winston is great, Heisman winner...doesn't get much better than that. EG throws a better ball though...all other tools are very much alike. Had he not lost last year you, we, might be singing a different tune. JW is taller (not bigger though, now), that is it.

But I'll give it to you, leaves EG #2. Unless someone thinks of one better. I'd still take EG over JW with my bias opinion even though Purguy would not.

Regardless, 10/18 will be fun to watch...have to go through Michigan and Stanford first.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Winston is way better. I don't see any comparison besides them being black. One is a Heisman trophy winner, One has a championship, and has a cannon of an arm, One will be a 1st rd pick. I like Golson and think he is a good QB but he is no where near what Winston. Oh and Winston is younger.

1 thing I agree with you is I can't wait for 10/18. Hopefully its a good game. Im going to the game. Cant wait.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I sincerely hope we are having this same QB debate nine months from now.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Insightful...your $.02 is superb

Winston is great, Heisman winner...doesn't get much better than that. EG throws a better ball though...all other tools are very much alike. Had he not lost last year you, we, might be singing a different tune. JW is taller (not bigger though, now), that is it.

But I'll give it to you, leaves EG #2. Unless someone thinks of one better. I'd still take EG over JW with my bias opinion even though Purguy would not.

Regardless, 10/18 will be fun to watch...have to go through Michigan and Stanford first.

Winston won the Heisman as a freshman with a title and 40tds against 10 INT
Golson in his second year (after getting redshirted) had 12TDs and 6 INTs and was substituted a few times late in games.
As far a QBs who are probably better right now and most ND fans ( as i would as a USC fan) would jump for joy if they were suddenly your starting QB theres Hundley, Marriota, Winston,Braxton Miller are some off the top of my head.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Winston won the Heisman as a freshman with a title and 40tds against 10 INT
Golson in his second year (after getting redshirted) had 12TDs and 6 INTs and was substituted a few times late in games.
As far a QBs who are probably better right now and most ND fans ( as i would as a USC fan) would jump for joy if they were suddenly your starting QB theres Hundley, Marriota, Winston,Braxton Miller are some off the top of my head.

While I am not saying that Golson is better than Winston (or any of the guys you mentioned) lets not forget that Winston was also held out his freshman year. It's unfair to characterize Golson's stats as coming from a second year player while implying that Winston was a true freshman.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I am not saying that Golson is better than Winston (or any of the guys you mentioned) lets not forget that Winston was also held out his freshman year. It's unfair to characterize Golson's stats as coming from a second year player while implying that Winston was a true freshman.

OK even saying that , the stats from both of their first year starting they are not comparable. Winston lead the country in passer efficiency and was almost at the best one ever recorded. Golstons was no where near the top the year he started. Golson has alot of potential and ability but those players (winston-Hundley- Marriota) are proven .

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK even saying that , the stats from both of their first year starting they are not comparable. Winston lead the country in passer efficiency and was almost at the best one ever recorded. Golstons was no where near the top the year he started. Golson has alot of potential and ability but those players (winston-Hundley- Marriota) are proven .

I don't disagree with anything you said. But of all the QB's you mentioned, only two have taken their teams to the NC game. Golson and Winston. And both did it in their first year playing.

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a big Mariotta fan, the guy really has an extra gear when he gets out into the open field. He's a lot of fun to watch.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't disagree with anything you said. But of all the QB's you mentioned, only two have taken their teams to the NC game. Golson and Winston. And both did it in their first year playing.

Winston "took" his team the NC and won it. Golson was along for the ride. Marriota and Hundly have done more as QBs than Golson has done. Manti had waaayyyyy more to do than Golson did. Tommy probably had more to do with it than Golson.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bret Hundley 67.2% completion percentage 24 TD 9 INT 84.8 adj Qbr
Marcus Marriota 63.5 % 31 TD 4 INT 89.5
J. Winston 66.9 40 TD 10 INT 88.5
E. Golson 58.8 12 TD 6 INT 68.8

I don't know about you but one doesn't look like the others.

Last edited by a moderator:

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bret Hundley 67.2% completion percentage 24 TD 9 INT 84.8 adj Qbr
Marcus Marriota 63.5 % 31 TD 4 INT 89.5
J. Winston 66.9 40 TD 10 INT 88.5
E. Golson 58.8 12 TD 6 INT 68.8

I don't know about you but one doesn't look like the others.

Two of these guys have been to NC games.

Two of these guys are undefeated in the regular season. Two have losses.

I'm more of a bottom line guy. I'll go with the guys who tend not to lose versus the guys with great stats, others prefer the guys with the great stats.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two of these guys have been to NC games.

Two of these guys are undefeated in the regular season. Two have losses.

I'm more of a bottom line guy. I'll go with the guys who tend not to lose versus the guys with great stats, others prefer the guys with the great stats.

Ummm Tommy had more TDs and a higher QBR and threw for more yards than Golson. No one in the world would ( even BK if given a polygraph) take either one or both over Hundley, and Marriota. If not for the defense ( and getting bailed out by Tommy a few times) , Golson would not have won all those games. I saw Hundley play twice last year and there's no way he's getting pulled like Golson was for someone else to get a red zone TD. Jimmy Clausen lost a ton of games. He was a much better QB than Golson has been so far even though his "team" didn't win.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ummm Tommy had more TDs and a higher QBR and threw for more yards than Golson. No one in the world would ( even BK if given a polygraph) take either one or both over Hundley, and Marriota. If not for the defense ( and getting bailed out by Tommy a few times) , Golson would not have won all those games. I saw Hundley play twice last year and there's no way he's getting pulled like Golson was for someone else to get a red zone TD. Jimmy Clausen lost a ton of games. He was a much better QB than Golson has been so far even though his "team" didn't win.

I think we can all agree that we will never know for certain whether or not Golson would have won those games. What we do know is that until the NC game he had never lost a game. I never saw Hundley play a game so i don't know much about him, and I think Marriota lost 2 of the 4 games I saw him play (two against Stanford and two bowl games). While Mariota lost the two games he started against Stanford, Golson won the only one he started against them. So again, based on wins, at this point I think I'll go with Golson. Now, as for Winston, he is also undefeated, with more wins. So I'd have to take Winston at this time based on what I've seen.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we can all agree that we will never know for certain whether or not Golson would have won those games. What we do know is that until the NC game he had never lost a game. I never saw Hundley play a game so i don't know much about him, and I think Marriota lost 2 of the 4 games I saw him play (two against Stanford and two bowl games). While Mariota lost the two games he started against Stanford, Golson won the only one he started against them. So again, based on wins, at this point I think I'll go with Golson. Now, as for Winston, he is also undefeated, with more wins. So I'd have to take Winston at this time based on what I've seen.

You can take who ever you want but Tommy put up better numbers the year befor Golson started and put up better numbers this past year but he didnt have the ND defense Golson had that was allowing teams one or less TDs like Golson had. Tommy has a better winning percentage than Clausen had. No one in his right mind would take Tommy over Clausen. Clausen would have tore up college football if he had gone to USC ( if he had the players around him that Pete had) so he wasn't a bad QB because he didn't win, he just had no defense and sometimes no O line. It's like saying you'd take Seattle QB Wilson over Brady or Manning or Breese or Luck because he just won a super bowl. He did his job but his defense was the reason they won it all just like in 2012 it was NDs defense. Marcus Marriota in a ND uniform in 2012 would have been ridiculous and you would have had a major upgrade in the QB play. Your defense would have been dominant and your offense would have had much more TDs. I'm sure Tommy would have had splinters from not moving off that bench. Wilson is just a better QB right now thats why anyone would take him over EV. Hundley and Marriota would be taken (if you're starting a college team) by everyone before Golson also even with knowledge that the teams they played on have lost some games.