• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

signing day is coming!!!

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I agree that Stinesping (or any OC) should have full control of the offense, but imo thats prob not how it works with Beamer. I look at it like stinespring had good offensive lines when he was the OL coach, the larger road grader type o linemen are obviously what he prefers because when he was in the position that was his type of system. So why if he had any say so at all would he look to hire an Oline coach with a completely different type of system. Also being that stiney has coached some good O lines he has to realize that these arent that great so if he had the authority he'd make a change.

FWIW: my biggest problem is that we basically have no philosophy. Maybe im wrong but imo if Beamer had his way we'd be more of a pro-style run between the tackles p/a pass type of team, is stiney had his way we'd be mostly shotgun (spread) type offense, and newsomes OL seem to fit more with a wishbone or option type O. Just seems that we have no identity.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Anyone know how the Anthony visit went in cheater hole?

Or how any of our visits went this wk?

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't know, but apparently Dominique Terrell wrote on his facebook that he's going to play at Miami.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Anthony visit to UNC was decent but I don't think they are much of a player. Their insiders seem to think he is a Hokie but I don't buy it yet. If you want some humor, read about Safon Huggins' in home with Butch Davis and his later commitment to Rutgers. Some other UNC pledges are having second thoughts too. None are real Hokie leans, but still. It may be an interesting week. Expect a lot from me this week.

-m

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
The Anthony visit to UNC was decent but I don't think they are much of a player. Their insiders seem to think he is a Hokie but I don't buy it yet. If you want some humor, read about Safon Huggins' in home with Butch Davis and his later commitment to Rutgers. Some other UNC pledges are having second thoughts too. None are real Hokie leans, but still. It may be an interesting week. Expect a lot from me this week.

-m

Yeah their fans are pissed at huggins (i love it) and yeah i read about how huggins had a binder with all the stuff thats happening at cheater hole and butch davis was basically made to look like an idiot (which he is). I had heard that hughes wasnt solid (still considering maryland) who else is ready to jump ship? FWIW: i had heard a rumor that the OL james (not sure of first name) was thinking of looking around, but thats been weeks ago.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah their fans are pissed at huggins (i love it) and yeah i read about how huggins had a binder with all the stuff thats happening at cheater hole and butch davis was basically made to look like an idiot (which he is). I had heard that hughes wasnt solid (still considering maryland) who else is ready to jump ship? FWIW: i had heard a rumor that the OL james (not sure of first name) was thinking of looking around, but thats been weeks ago.

Hughes is "supposedly" solid to UNC, but who knows. The names that I have heard are Kiaro Holts (UF) and Jerrod james (not sure whom). If I was a UNC recruit and I was concerned that the other shoe was going to drop, and that UNC was just biding time until after signing day, I would simply stay committed but not sign my LOI until I heard something definitive. I mean, "National Signing Day" is simply the first day that un-enrolled players are allowed to sign. It is by no means a deadline. It is a special day made for Rivals, Scout and ESPN to talk a lot.

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you guys have any thoughts on these South Florida recruits that came to visit this weekend? They sound like good sleeper, under the radar types/ Plus, we've had great success at that high school (Flowers, Hosley, Leal, Clowney). Hopefully it keeps the pipeline coming because they supposedly have some studs that are sophs.

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dang, you just beat me to it. Sounds like a really good pickup.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dang, you just beat me to it. Sounds like a really good pickup.

Anyone have any news on Anthony and where he stands? I guess he is our last target out there, correct? I heard this interesting tidbit on a local radio station yesterday. Apparently Thourogood visited Vanderbilt over the weekend and is actually considering them (according to sources). I honestly cannot believe he would decommit from VT to play for them but hey, stranger things have happened. Maybe they are trying to give him a shot at QB??

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone have any news on Anthony and where he stands? I guess he is our last target out there, correct? I heard this interesting tidbit on a local radio station yesterday. Apparently Thourogood visited Vanderbilt over the weekend and is actually considering them (according to sources). I honestly cannot believe he would decommit from VT to play for them but hey, stranger things have happened. Maybe they are trying to give him a shot at QB??

From what I've gathered, Chris Beatty is now at Vandy and telling LT he can play right away at QB. Sigh. Don't know how that is going to go.
As far as Anthony, everybody now seems to think he is going to Clemson. There was an ESPN article last night and all 6 of their "experts" predicted he would sign with Clemson. I don't have a Rivals account, so that's about as much info as I know right now.

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Time for a rant, and forgive me if I'm offbase or just wrong. But I've been following VT football all my life, and all along all I've ever heard is what a straight-up and honest guy Frank Beamer is, as well as his staff. I don't know and never have doubted this. I've always heard we sell recruits on the stability of our staff and quit recruiting a kid once he verbals to another school, unless he contacts us.
So now all of a sudden Curtis Grant and some of the UNC recruits are saying they were turned off because we negatively recruited against other schools? I don't buy this for a second...unless the game has changed and we are trying different approaches. I certainly don't think Frank just all of a sudden decided to be a slimeball. And if these recruits are saying "Be careful about UNC, they are going on probation," is negative recruiting, no that's just the truth.
You can't tell me Al Groh, Mike London, and certainly Butch Davis don't do their damndest to negative recruit against us. I don't know what it is, but something doesn't add up here. Hopefully some of you folks who follow recruiting more closely can help me understand the dynamics at work here.

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Time for a rant, and forgive me if I'm offbase or just wrong. But I've been following VT football all my life, and all along all I've ever heard is what a straight-up and honest guy Frank Beamer is, as well as his staff. I don't know and never have doubted this. I've always heard we sell recruits on the stability of our staff and quit recruiting a kid once he verbals to another school, unless he contacts us.
So now all of a sudden Curtis Grant and some of the UNC recruits are saying they were turned off because we negatively recruited against other schools? I don't buy this for a second...unless the game has changed and we are trying different approaches. I certainly don't think Frank just all of a sudden decided to be a slimeball. And if these recruits are saying "Be careful about UNC, they are going on probation," is negative recruiting, no that's just the truth.
You can't tell me Al Groh, Mike London, and certainly Butch Davis don't do their damndest to negative recruit against us. I don't know what it is, but something doesn't add up here. Hopefully some of you folks who follow recruiting more closely can help me understand the dynamics at work here.

Agreed. I can see London selling the dream and quick playing time to kids. But as for Butch, this whole recruiting binge they are on is definitely sketch. Personally, if we want recruit higher rated players who still meet our mold, we need to win against the big boys and not just against ACC teams.

iruletheskool

iruleiskool
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats on Lockhart, VTers. He looks like a good under radar WR, and sounds like a good kid.

Wish we could have landed him, but it's hard to be too upset. Good luck

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks again irule, and as always, best wishes to the Huskers.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

i've heard a lot of stuff about the "negative recruiting" but everything i've heard is from the fans, Maybe i've missed it but im yet to see where a prospect actually says he chose unc or uva because of negative recruiting by VT. I would love to know what london or especially butch are telling these kids, because the fact is whatever they are selling, recruits are obviously buying.
Im sure we did bring up the fact unc is most likely going to get hit with some kind of probation as well as uva's w/l's, just like im sure unc and uva told the kids that beamer cant win the big one and that VT has reached its ceiling, but imo thats just the nature of the beast in recruiting and i think there is something else they are selling these kids that we arent.

Imo Beamer and davis personally dont like each other much, I honestly think that butch enjoys being a thorn in Beamer's side in recruiting and beamer loves beating his ass on the field.

^^^^basically a bunch of rambling but thats how i feel.

FWIW: i think we have changed the philosophy about not recruiting kids once they verbal to another school. Fact is so many kids change their mind late in the game nowadays you have to at least stay in touch with them until almost the very end or until they make it clear that they are A)sticking with their first choice or B) wont be choosing VT if they do change their mind.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
i'd be surprised if LT switched, especially this late in the game. but i've been wrong before and wont be shocked if i am again. haha

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will have a lot to say after tomorrow ends, but a few quick thoughts:

Anthony to Clemson does not bother me too much. Clemson did not all of the sudden appear on his list. They have consistently been high on his list, and nowhere does talent stay stagnant better than death valley. Clemson (much like UVA under Groh) recruits fantastically and produces good pros. They just suck on Saturdays. I am fine with that.

Lockhart is a major get for us.

If LT goes to Vandy to play quarterback, all my best to him. he wants to play QB and will get a shot to be a multi-year starter there. At Tech he would end up as a receiver or linebacker most likely with an outside shot at QB. I am high on Young and very high on Leal, so all my best to LT if he changes his mind. I will hold no ill will toward him.

The kids we got this year are fantastic and will fit in well at Tech. That being said, we have to change some things going forward. The obvious punch to the gut is losing 3 all american linebackers (2 from in state), but we have a lot of young guys at that position. I am much more upset about whiffing on linemen, but I will get more into that later in the week.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will have a lot to say after tomorrow ends, but a few quick thoughts:

Anthony to Clemson does not bother me too much. Clemson did not all of the sudden appear on his list. They have consistently been high on his list, and nowhere does talent stay stagnant better than death valley. Clemson (much like UVA under Groh) recruits fantastically and produces good pros. They just suck on Saturdays. I am fine with that.

Lockhart is a major get for us.

If LT goes to Vandy to play quarterback, all my best to him. he wants to play QB and will get a shot to be a multi-year starter there. At Tech he would end up as a receiver or linebacker most likely with an outside shot at QB. I am high on Young and very high on Leal, so all my best to LT if he changes his mind. I will hold no ill will toward him.

The kids we got this year are fantastic and will fit in well at Tech. That being said, we have to change some things going forward. The obvious punch to the gut is losing 3 all american linebackers (2 from in state), but we have a lot of young guys at that position. I am much more upset about whiffing on linemen, but I will get more into that later in the week.

Well said 46. It does hurt to lose the linebackers, especially Hughes IMO. For some reason I feel like Grant not even giving us a look is a bit of a slap in the face. I guess he has his reasons. I understand he is a nationally recruited player with exceptional talent, but hey, I don't feel like he is too good to give us a look, visit, something. I do hope we end up with Anthony with a last second surprise. I think he will end up being the best of the 3. I'm with you on Thourougood. I believe he was injured part of this season in HS?? He didn't make the 757 area 1st or 2nd team. If he wants to play early and often, then he is welcome to go to the SEC doormat in Vandy where he may win a dozen games in his career. I try to feel like losing the linemen is partly because we have some up and coming guys who hopefully will be good for us, but I think it is something more. It is a well known fact that in the past 5 years (since Newsome was hired) VT has sent very few linemen to the league. That has to play in some of these recruits' minds. I don't think Newsome knows how to develop these guys into what they could be. The ones that did make it, made it because of exceptional athleticism and size, not because Newsome got them there(Wang, Brown).