• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

signing day is coming!!!

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
anyone heard anything new on Stephone Anthony? jholleywood over on disney said he is apparently hearing everything from "he's ours" to "it's a real long shot"

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A really big fish in the recruiting sea will be in Blacksburg this weekend according to the Newport News Daily Press' Norm Wood:

Stephone Anthony, a 6-foot-3, 220-pound linebacker from Anson County High in Wadesboro, N.C., was elevated today from four-star status to the select five-star group by the Rivals.com recruiting website. He's one of just 26 high school players in the country to be given five-star status by the website.

It's good timing for Tech for Anthony to get the bump, considering he's one of a dozen players expected to visit the Blacksburg campus this weekend. He's considered by most recruiting analysts to be one of the nation's top 10 linebacker prospects, and top 50 recruits overall. Rivals has him rated No. 24 overall.

Rivals ranks Anthony the No. 4 outside linebacker in the country and the No. 1 overall recruit in the state of North Carolina. Tech will be the third school Anthony has made an official visit to, after Florida and Clemson. He still has a scheduled visit NC State next weekend.

Star-divide

Anthony is being recruited by wide receivers coach Kevin Sherman and will be hosted by his cousin a current Virginia Tech linebacker Barquell Rivers. If the Hokies landed the Anthony, he would be their first five-star signee since Tyrod Taylor in 2007 and their first on the defensive side since Macho Harris signed as an Athlete in 2005.

He would be an important edition to a recruiting class that is currently ranked No. 34 by Rivals. How important? Well, the Norfolk Virginian-Pilot's Kyle Tucker thinks Anthony could start at whip linebacker as a true freshman. He's already bigger than any of the Hokies' other options at whip and if he excels, would shore up a spot that caused them a lot of consternation in 2010.

Having Rivers on the roster is a big plus for the Hokies, but they'll still need to impress Anthony if they want to land him over Clemson. Tech has prided itself on finding diamonds in the rough over the years, but you can't make an entire roster out of them. The Hokies are never going to be on the same level recruiting-wise as teams like Alabama and Texas, but they need to start getting at least one like Anthony in every class.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
He wont announce his final decision until signing day, but from everything i've heard his visit went well. Prob going to come down to us and clemson, but it sounds like Fla and unc are still factors also.

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Anthony was here this past weekend and had a good time. Nothing really new, nor did he hint on anything.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anthony would make or break this class. Personally, I do not think that we are as thin at linebacker as some people have hypothesized. I think that Taylor has the Mike spot locked down for the next two seasons, and Chase Williams and Tariq Edwardss will be fighting with Barquell Rivers for the Backer spot as soon as spring, but Anthony is a game changer. He could come in and play right away and has Adbiesque athleticism.

I give us a bout a 50/50 shot with him. His family LOVED the place and he seems to like it. He seems to always have a top 2 that includes us and someone else, so that bodes well. I am scared by the UNC visit, but he seems to see through Davis' spiel and he has said he may not even make that visit, so we will see. Right now I put it at Clemson, Florida and us.

As for the article that 757 posted, Anthony may play Whip, but I highly doubt it. Whip is a hybrid safety/linebacker position that requires a bit of a smaller faster guy. I think that Zo Williams and Dom Patterson will be fighting for that spot next season. Anthony has Backer or Mike written all over him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anthony would make or break this class. Personally, I do not think that we are as thin at linebacker as some people have hypothesized. I think that Taylor has the Mike spot locked down for the next two seasons, and Chase Williams and Tariq Edwardss will be fighting with Barquell Rivers for the Backer spot as soon as spring, but Anthony is a game changer. He could come in and play right away and has Adbiesque athleticism.

I give us a bout a 50/50 shot with him. His family LOVED the place and he seems to like it. He seems to always have a top 2 that includes us and someone else, so that bodes well. I am scared by the UNC visit, but he seems to see through Davis' spiel and he has said he may not even make that visit, so we will see. Right now I put it at Clemson, Florida and us.

As for the article that 757 posted, Anthony may play Whip, but I highly doubt it. Whip is a hybrid safety/linebacker position that requires a bit of a smaller faster guy. I think that Zo Williams and Dom Patterson will be fighting for that spot next season. Anthony has Backer or Mike written all over him.

I agree 46 that Anthony and another one or two of these guys could vault the VT class into the top 25, or at least close to it. Some writers share in your prediction 46. I read somewhere else that it is likely going to be VT or Clemson with Florida a distant possibility and UNC/NCST being longshots.

Rivals.com Football Recruiting - Signing Day predictions 2011

Also found this article very interesting. Just goes to show that recruiting isn't everything. Our coaches do a great job of getting these guys that fits into the VT system and coaching them up. Sometimes I give them some flack and bellyache about not getting the high profile/dominating guys (particularly in the trenches) but all-in-all I shouldn't complain, because we still win plenty of games and ACCC. I still think that getting some of these guys (Holts, Massie, Moses, L. Turner, etc.) could take VT to another level where they could compete better on the national stage (see 'Bama, LSU, Stanford). I don't feel like the coaching there is what it should be, but I'm not sure we have had elite talent there in recent years either. I think we are getting some good ones on the D-Line. VT has some young studs so we shall see how they turn out. We have early offers out for some blue-chip OLinemen for 2012 (Humphries, Alexander, Homer, Stadnik). IMO VT has to start getting some of these guys.

Rivals High - Recruiting vs. results: Does one bring the other?

"No question Virginia Tech is recruiting players for their system and sometimes that means they'll pull a two-star or three-star that fits like Jarrett Boykin (3-star) or Rashad Carmichael (2-star)," Brian Mohr, publisher of HokieHaven.com, said. "Their recruiting classes have drastically improved over the past five years and they have always targeted the top players around the region, especially in-state."

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree 46 that Anthony and another one or two of these guys could vault the VT class into the top 25, or at least close to it. Some writers share in your prediction 46. I read somewhere else that it is likely going to be VT or Clemson with Florida a distant possibility and UNC/NCST being longshots.

Rivals.com Football Recruiting - Signing Day predictions 2011

Also found this article very interesting. Just goes to show that recruiting isn't everything. Our coaches do a great job of getting these guys that fits into the VT system and coaching them up. Sometimes I give them some flack and bellyache about not getting the high profile/dominating guys (particularly in the trenches) but all-in-all I shouldn't complain. I still think that getting some of these guys (Holts, Massie, Moses, L. Turner, etc.) could take VT to another level where they could compete better on the national stage (see 'Bama, LSU, Stanford). I think we are getting there on the D-Line. We have early offers out for some blue-chip OLinemen for 2012 (Humphries, Alexander, Homer, Stadnik). IMO VT has to start getting some of these guys.

Rivals High - Recruiting vs. results: Does one bring the other?

"No question Virginia Tech is recruiting players for their system and sometimes that means they'll pull a two-star or three-star that fits like Jarrett Boykin (3-star) or Rashad Carmichael (2-star)," Brian Mohr, publisher of HokieHaven.com, said. "Their recruiting classes have drastically improved over the past five years and they have always targeted the top players around the region, especially in-state."

Ha ha. I read that and just posted it on the "water cooler" board. You should venture over there some time. hokiehigh, vtpoop, cobrabit and 7578 post there a lot as well.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ha ha. I read that and just posted it on the "water cooler" board. You should venture over there some time. hokiehigh, vtpoop, cobrabit and 7578 post there a lot as well.

Another good read by KT in 757. I completely agree with him. Hope last night went well at the Anthony house.

VT Football: Trying to land a 5-star recruit (and why it matters) ... | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

BTW, Question For 757Hokie and all of the rest. What is up with the VT hatin' in Virginia's newspapers (most notably the Pilot and Roanoke Times)? Often I see comments from locals who are "tired" of hearing about the VT sports programs, football in particular. In the Roanoke Times, there are ALWAYS people writing letters to the editor, wanting coverage of VT sports to be shoved to the back page, this is a major newspaper that is 30 minutes from Blacksburg!! I'm sure many of you read it. Are these just disgruntled UVA fans who are jealous that VT has been getting the headlines in, oh say, the last 15years? I think these writers for the most part do a good job (especially KT), and just write what the "majority" of the local readers are interested in, and that is VT (not UVA). I say UVA needs to start winning some games before these losers can bitch about VT getting too much ink and UVA not getting enough. I betcha if they did that in the Southeast them people would run their asses out of town or lynch them for speaking such blasphemy such as, ...To the Tuscaloosa News "Your coverage of Alabama football is too much, ridiculous even. Why don't you write MORE about Auburn who just won the NC." Lets see if that would fly.. Anyways I'm not a UVA hater or anything, just get tired of reading these comments. Just ranting...

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another good read by KT in 757. I completely agree with him. Hope last night went well at the Anthony house.

VT Football: Trying to land a 5-star recruit (and why it matters) ... | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

BTW, Question For 757Hokie and all of the rest. What is up with the VT hatin' in Virginia's newspapers (most notably the Pilot and Roanoke Times)? Often I see comments from locals who are "tired" of hearing about the VT sports programs, football in particular. In the Roanoke Times, there are ALWAYS people writing letters to the editor, wanting coverage of VT sports to be shoved to the back page, this is a major newspaper that is 30 minutes from Blacksburg!! I'm sure many of you read it. Are these just disgruntled UVA fans who are jealous that VT has been getting the headlines in, oh say, the last 15years? I think these writers for the most part do a good job (especially KT), and just write what the "majority" of the local readers are interested in, and that is VT (not UVA). I say UVA needs to start winning some games before these losers can bitch about VT getting too much ink and UVA not getting enough. I betcha if they did that in the Southeast them people would run their asses out of town or lynch them for speaking such blasphemy such as, ...To the Tuscaloosa News "Your coverage of Alabama football is too much, ridiculous even. Why don't you write MORE about Auburn who just won the NC." Lets see if that would fly.. Anyways I'm not a UVA hater or anything, just get tired of reading these comments. Just ranting...

Thats a good question about the papers...my parents get the Pilot, but where i'm at i dont get it, so i only really get a chance to see it when i'm visiting them, so i havent really noticed the hate...seems like basically what you said though...the papers give more coverage to the better and dominate team in Virginia...if the other fans dont like it, maybe they should be on their athletic department and coaches to do something about it, rather than the newspapers

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This may be a crazy take but maybe these reporters are tired of reporting the same ole' same ole' Tech stuff? Honestly if you think about it we must be the most boring team to report on to fans. Fancy Gap really has nothing to say most of the time except the humble "well we did our best, shucks I love this team stuff". We are a very consistent team filled with staff who seek not to "rock the boat" so to speak so that really doesn't make for exciting reporting.

Also, I have a feeling people such as KT are kind of fed up with where we are right now. Over the years with KT's reporting, you could tell (at least this is my take) he became very partial to VT. So when you are reporting on a program where it is evident we do have some major obstacles which are limiting us from being a top tier team on a national scale it has to be very frustrating. So there are only so many articles and stats where you can report on our "consistency". I guess you can put me in this category as well. I love the hell out of our team, but let's face it we will need alot of luck to go to a NC right now with the staff that we have in place. And with the programs that are on the rise and with the changes that are taking place, our window is closing (may have already closed). :L

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This may be a crazy take but maybe these reporters are tired of reporting the same ole' same ole' Tech stuff? Honestly if you think about it we must be the most boring team to report on to fans. Fancy Gap really has nothing to say most of the time except the humble "well we did our best, shucks I love this team stuff". We are a very consistent team filled with staff who seek not to "rock the boat" so to speak so that really doesn't make for exciting reporting.

Also, I have a feeling people such as KT are kind of fed up with where we are right now. Over the years with KT's reporting, you could tell (at least this is my take) he became very partial to VT. So when you are reporting on a program where it is evident we do have some major obstacles which are limiting us from being a top tier team on a national scale it has to be very frustrating. So there are only so many articles and stats where you can report on our "consistency". I guess you can put me in this category as well. I love the hell out of our team, but let's face it we will need alot of luck to go to a NC right now with the staff that we have in place. And with the programs that are on the rise and with the changes that are taking place, our window is closing (may have already closed). :L

That is an interesting take amszete. I don't necessarily think that the window has closed yet, but agree that some changes will need to be made in the next couple years if VT is to compete for a NC in this decade. I think it is safe to say that Beamer will probably NOT be coaching this program 10 years from now, so IF BF is there, he should get the job. I have heard many say they would like to see BF get it now, and push FB out to bring a different energy. Don't think so. That will never happen and shouldn't happen. I feel like BF WILL be a good head coach when his time comes but still, you never can tell (he could be a total bust???). Alot of that would depend on the staff that he would have in place (hopefully the best we have in place already, with some changes elsewhere (OC,OL)). I tell those fans, be careful what you wish for. If the program regresses some in the next few years AND UVA goes on the upswing, I feel like Weaver would demand some changes be made. It is funny though that we see posts on RTimes/Pilot, Disney and elsewhere from haters abound. From FSU, UM, and UVA fans in particular. I think it is partially because of some jealousy because VT has pretty much owned the ACC since joining and partially because they feel our fans are "over-confident"/cocky to a degree because of the success we have had in the last 10-15 years. Success their storied programs once had. Some of them LOVE to see VT flop in big games like the Orange Bowl and OOC games, which is ignorant because it makes their team look even WORSE because we beat the hell outta them. I know there are haters associated with every team and program (including ours, even at times I can be one of them). VT is represented well on those boards and any of those people, whose teams have ANY success should understand that when you win, and reach a plateau, you are always going to want more. I'm just ranting again..

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Great pick up imo. I look for stiney to use the TE a lot better with LT than he could with Tyrod. + im sure stiney stole a few things from stanford.FWIW i really like the future of the position with Lewis and Malleck.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Great pick up imo. I look for stiney to use the TE a lot better with LT than he could with Tyrod. + im sure stiney stole a few things from stanford.FWIW i really like the future of the position with Lewis and Malleck.

i forgot redman and hall, i really like both those guys also.

I look for Reeves to be a WR, <-- thoughts????

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i forgot redman and hall, i really like both those guys also.

I look for Reeves to be a WR, <-- thoughts????

I think he very well may head there. he also has some great defensive film, so maybe he will get a look on that side of the ball. Some would say, what the hell are we doing signing this many tight ends. However, tight ends are the most versatile athletes on the field and that is why I like the fact that we are good at getting them.

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I wouldn't go so far as to be sure of anything with Stinespring. He may not be as horrible as many would have you to believe, but I wouldn't consider him a good OC. Therefore, it would not surprise me in the least if he continued with the status quo instead of learning from others. I certainly hope that the offense will be a year to year consistent success (much like the defense), but we've all had our hopes dashed too many times to be anything but cynical about Stiney's ability as an OC.

**Stiney rant upcoming :mad:. You may stop reading here if you wish.**

Many times it looks like it takes him forever to realize what adjustments need to be made. This season, the team made some better halftime adjustments, but let's face it, our athletes took over some games where Stiney got credit for the adjustments. The problem stems from the fact that the offense should never have been so slow out of the gates to begin with to warrant double-digit comebacks. The defense started out slow in almost every game, but the offense was expected to carry the team this year (for the first time in years). The offense almost never looked prepared or maybe they were just hungover every game.

I certainly give Stiney credit for having a little more success this season (thank you Tyrod), but the same problems keep showing up over and over from season to season. Against big, physical defenses (which all NC teams have) our OL can't do a thing with them. We're able to do well against average teams, but there are many cases of our running game getting shut down and our QB running for their life against elite defenses.

A good OC, given the number of years that Stiney has been OC, would have done one of two things by now. One, recruit actual offensive linemen rather than athletic TEs hoping to bulk them up. The guys we get now would probably be great in a spread offense with zone blocking, but we have a power-running/play-action philosophy and they get worn down against the big/elite defensive fronts.

Two, change your philosophy if you're going to keep recruiting the same players. You either go to the true spread offense with a dual threat QB or build a big/strong OL and recruit a pocket passer.

We've relied too heavily on dual threat QBs to put a bandaid on a severed limb. You can't tell me that it's impossible to recruit elite offensive linemen to come to VT.

While we get the most out of the players we do recruit and am grateful for the character of the kids coming in, there is only so much an elite skill player can do for a team with giant holes in the trenches. A good example of this could be found with the Philadelphia Eagles. Arguably the most talented skill position players in the NFL, but the OL was weak. I couldn't count the number of times the Eagles passed on 3rd and 1 or Vick pulled a miracle out of his butt because the OL was getting dominated (sound familiar? :L)

**End rant. No back to your regularly scheduled program :D **

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so whats the over/under that Malleck gets converted to an undersized OL?

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I wouldn't go so far as to be sure of anything with Stinespring. He may not be as horrible as many would have you to believe, but I wouldn't consider him a good OC. Therefore, it would not surprise me in the least if he continued with the status quo instead of learning from others. I certainly hope that the offense will be a year to year consistent success (much like the defense), but we've all had our hopes dashed too many times to be anything but cynical about Stiney's ability as an OC.

**Stiney rant upcoming :mad:. You may stop reading here if you wish.**

Many times it looks like it takes him forever to realize what adjustments need to be made. This season, the team made some better halftime adjustments, but let's face it, our athletes took over some games where Stiney got credit for the adjustments. The problem stems from the fact that the offense should never have been so slow out of the gates to begin with to warrant double-digit comebacks. The defense started out slow in almost every game, but the offense was expected to carry the team this year (for the first time in years). The offense almost never looked prepared or maybe they were just hungover every game.

I certainly give Stiney credit for having a little more success this season (thank you Tyrod), but the same problems keep showing up over and over from season to season. Against big, physical defenses (which all NC teams have) our OL can't do a thing with them. We're able to do well against average teams, but there are many cases of our running game getting shut down and our QB running for their life against elite defenses.

A good OC, given the number of years that Stiney has been OC, would have done one of two things by now. One, recruit actual offensive linemen rather than athletic TEs hoping to bulk them up. The guys we get now would probably be great in a spread offense with zone blocking, but we have a power-running/play-action philosophy and they get worn down against the big/elite defensive fronts.

Two, change your philosophy if you're going to keep recruiting the same players. You either go to the true spread offense with a dual threat QB or build a big/strong OL and recruit a pocket passer.

We've relied too heavily on dual threat QBs to put a bandaid on a severed limb. You can't tell me that it's impossible to recruit elite offensive linemen to come to VT.

While we get the most out of the players we do recruit and am grateful for the character of the kids coming in, there is only so much an elite skill player can do for a team with giant holes in the trenches. A good example of this could be found with the Philadelphia Eagles. Arguably the most talented skill position players in the NFL, but the OL was weak. I couldn't count the number of times the Eagles passed on 3rd and 1 or Vick pulled a miracle out of his butt because the OL was getting dominated (sound familiar? :L)

**End rant. No back to your regularly scheduled program :D **

FWIW i wasnt really trying to say stinespring is all that great just that he is somewhat known for finding things that he likes about other teams and adding or trying to add some elements of those things to our offense.

To be honest im neither a stinespring lover or hater. i would love to have a big name OC that could really utilize our talent year in year out, but i also think that stiney takes a lot of flack for things that are out of his control. Imo our problems on offense start with newsome, Our Oline has been on a steady decline since his arrival. Even if stinespring wanted to do something about it (and who's to say behind closed doors he doesnt) his hands are tied because of Beamer. Or like this year with the running backs, I'd bet Stiney would have liked to see DE on 3rd/4th and short more often, but thats not his decision, that rest on Billy Hite. Could you imagine asking Beamer to suggest making a change to Hite.

Stinespring has his share of WTF moments and can get a little predictable but i think overall he's a pretty decent play caller and he has added some nice wrinkles to our offense over the years (wild turkey, pistol, some spread, etc).

As far as recruiting offensive linemen: We got some good ones in the system and should have the best offensive line we've had in a while next year. We offer quite a few OL, imo the problem is that not many top tier linemen want to play for newsome. Kids want to play for position coaches that produce talent, thats why torrian gray will never have a prob getting DB's.

To sum it up i think newsome is a bigger piece of the problem than stinespring.

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hunzworth, you're right in that the OL is Newsome's responsibility. I guess I'm thinking that if you're the offensive coordinator, then you control what's going on with your offense inside and out. I understand that Hite probably has a lot of say due to his long standing (and being assistant head coach), but I would imagine that Stinespring would have a lot of control over what he wants with the OL because it's basically his name with what the offense produces.

The buck does eventually stop with Beamer, so if he is happy, then he will not change a thing. Sometimes I really wonder if the coaching staff even brings up these types of questions at all.