• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Round Tracker 2016

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Having trouble with my tee shots.

I took about 7 years off from golf. I was just too busy plus I moved a couple of times and ended up selling my old clubs in the process.

Couple of years ago my wife bought me a set of cheap clubs for Christmas and told me to get out more. So I played a few times and last year I played twice. I try to at least go to the driving range a few time a month. I want to play more but it is almost like I forgot and have to relearn the mechanics all over again.

For one thing, I'm a little older and not as aggressive with my swing as I used to be. I'm about a club or two shorter than when I used to play every weekend. I can still hit my irons well most of the time and can handle chipping and putting with a little more practice. My wedge shots are still dead nuts. For some reason I am still good hitting out of the sand and can hit a perfect flop shot when I need to.

I suck with my driver now. 18 holes yesterday and hit the ball straight down the fairway only once. Rest of the time I'm hitting really fat. Couple of times taking out a divot about a foot in front of the ball. Even at the driving range, I can hit half a bucket and only hit a couple of clean shots with the driver. Most of the time I'm pulling them to the left. I figured it was just a matter of just playing more and it would come back. I'd like to eventually get fitted for the right clubs and shafts but I have to get to where I can hit the ball well more consistently and play often enough to make that kind of investment. Maybe I'm frustrated because I can't just hit the ball without thinking anymore.

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's because I'm hitting my driver like my irons. Hitting down instead of sweeping. :L

When I mis hit my irons it's because of rookie mistakes like pulling up, losing balance, feet not right. That's fixable with plenty of practice. Watch a few you tube videos and now I'm an expert lol.

It's not like riding a bike. I'm amazed at how bad I suck now. Just have to start over with fundamentals and go from there

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's because I'm hitting my driver like my irons. Hitting down instead of sweeping. :L

When I mis hit my irons it's because of rookie mistakes like pulling up, losing balance, feet not right. That's fixable with plenty of practice. Watch a few you tube videos and now I'm an expert lol.

It's not like riding a bike. I'm amazed at how bad I suck now. Just have to start over with fundamentals and go from there

Definitely not like riding a bike or swimming.

Hey man...we all suck on some level in here...lol...it's therapy!

I'm not one to say a whole about golf swings, but if you're hitting down with the driver...most likely the ball position is bad, too far back in your stance or not teed up high enough....might want to exaggerate the ball position...put it out past your toe...far enough to where you must contact the ball on the upswing with some really slow swings...like you're trying to hit your driver about 100 yds...gradually move it back until you are getting better contact.

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The biggest problem is all the swing mechanics. I used to be able to just hit the ball and not think too much about it. That doesn't work anymore. All the little things were killing me: balance, foot position, shifting my weight, knowing where my shoulders, wrists and elbows are pointing, swing tempo, etc. so I basically had 1 sloppy swing that I used for butchering range balls and hacking at every shot on the course. So I needed to start small with my wedges and work my way back up.

Watched a few videos last night. Went outside and worked a few practice drills that I remember and it just came back to me. I suddenly remembered all the mechanics that I spent years learning. Went to the range on my way to work and hit a bucket with my LW-6 iron and virtually every ball in the bucket was as close to perfect. Didn't hit any fat. Sliced a couple and pulled a few but mostly all straight. Still about a club shorter than I used to but that will take more practice. After about half the bucket I was able to swing the club without thinking too much and felt like I never stopped playing.

Next will I will work on my driver swing. That will probably take some time to get it dialed back in.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's amazing how quickly a swing can go to shit. I was having all sorts of problems with my clubs and I finally had a good 9. Score was crap but I was just looking for good contact with my irons and fairway wood and it was finally dialed in. Then I don't pick the club up for 9 days and everything just feels wrong. But I have the O.L.D. and a lot of it is how loose my back is feeling on the given day.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finally...something pretty good to write home about in my golf game.

Kind of a spur of the moment round...family from out of town called and said he would be in town on biz, but would be done by 2p...I eased out of the office @ 3, on the course @ 4, and got in 18 yesterday.

Chicopee Woods...one of the normal rota tracks.

27 holes there...we played the Village & Mill 9s...blue tees...6559/70.6/128

38 front...39 back...matched my career low of 77*!

Rough still not much to speak of yet so I didn't bother to keep fairways hit.

13 of the 14 drives were in play or in the FW...1 tee ball didn't behave...got lost in the trees.

9 GIR,

scrambled pretty well...pitched in for birdie on #3 from about 30 yds after a really fat approach, aside from that I had 4 one putt greens for par.

30 putts total...only one 3 jack.

*I was given a 3 footer for bogey on #15 which I accepted.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The biggest problem is all the swing mechanics. I used to be able to just hit the ball and not think too much about it. That doesn't work anymore. All the little things were killing me: balance, foot position, shifting my weight, knowing where my shoulders, wrists and elbows are pointing, swing tempo, etc. so I basically had 1 sloppy swing that I used for butchering range balls and hacking at every shot on the course. So I needed to start small with my wedges and work my way back up.

Watched a few videos last night. Went outside and worked a few practice drills that I remember and it just came back to me. I suddenly remembered all the mechanics that I spent years learning. Went to the range on my way to work and hit a bucket with my LW-6 iron and virtually every ball in the bucket was as close to perfect. Didn't hit any fat. Sliced a couple and pulled a few but mostly all straight. Still about a club shorter than I used to but that will take more practice. After about half the bucket I was able to swing the club without thinking too much and felt like I never stopped playing.

Next will I will work on my driver swing. That will probably take some time to get it dialed back in.

Sounds like you just needed some time on the range.

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's amazing how quickly a swing can go to shit. I was having all sorts of problems with my clubs and I finally had a good 9. Score was crap but I was just looking for good contact with my irons and fairway wood and it was finally dialed in. Then I don't pick the club up for 9 days and everything just feels wrong. But I have the O.L.D. and a lot of it is how loose my back is feeling on the given day.

Yea...like the very next hole.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and in my case the B can stand for bogey...or is it bogie?

Either one works...lol

You name any post ____________ fuck up in golf, and I've been there, birdie, bogey, just 3 weeks ago I followed a Triple bogey (snowman) with an even worse snowman...a quad.

What's worse...with our guys...they know PBFU is for real...NO ONE EVER jumps in front of a birdie...you can fart around rattling stuff in your bag all you want..they will wait!

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Terrible round. First day in the 90's and winds gusting to 35 mph..hell. I'd say it was a 20+mph sustained wind.

Shot a 50 on the front and a 47 on the back.

and the play was slow. My wife and i walk the course and we must have waited at least five minutes before our second shots. My legs went dead around 14.

Par three 196 yds directly into the wind, my driver fell short by 15 yds....fucking brutal.

My game is high, the wind and I do not get along.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Played 18 today. First 9 I couldn't slap my ass with both hands. Hit it alright, but couldn't score fer shit. Shot a 51.

Back 9, i killed it. I got a few beers in me by then...loosened up...shot a 41, that bya ll means should've been a 39. Last 4 I went birdie, par, bogey, bogey...the last two I left par putts sitting on the edge of the hole. Both, make-able par putts.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Terrible round. First day in the 90's and winds gusting to 35 mph..hell. I'd say it was a 20+mph sustained wind.

Shot a 50 on the front and a 47 on the back.

and the play was slow. My wife and i walk the course and we must have waited at least five minutes before our second shots. My legs went dead around 14.

Par three 196 yds directly into the wind, my driver fell short by 15 yds....fucking brutal.

My game is high, the wind and I do not get along.

Windy in a buncha places...Thursday/Friday it was whipping around crazy I didn't even bother to hit at the range last week...Sat was suppose to be better and it was, but 10-15 is still windy here...91...in fact since my 77 seems like my game is back in the 80s....where it belongs I guess.

My best bud's game wasn't always this way, but he really sucks at golf now (102-109 range). Not sure why, but still loves to go out...been trying to ween myself from playing with him not because he sucks, but the theatrics on every bad shot is just irritating and it bleeds over to my game...seems like I can handle the wind better than playing with him.

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another very windy day another bad score. Played the front nine, shot a 49. Par three 148 yds to the middle of the green. Hitting into the wind, I used a six iron and barely made the green.so it only went ~138yds...that's a solid pitching wedge. And my putting sucked, and that's usually the strength of my game. Several long putts and I didn't even get close.

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Played the front nine again yesterday. Started with a fucking snowman and a double bogie, pulled it together for the next five holes then double bogied and bogied to end with a 44.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Traveled to TN last weekend on some biz, but got in some golf...42-45, and 41-47...not bad considering I hadn't seen these track before, but putting/short game sucked both rounds.

Most of you guys up north have an excuse with the weather just starting to break up there...I don't have that excuse, already got 14-15 rounds under my belt this yr...really need some short game work this week before I head back out to the money game...had 3 times over the weekend where I was within 30 yds of the green in two on par 5s and made 6.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Played the front nine again yesterday. Started with a fucking snowman and a double bogie, pulled it together for the next five holes then double bogied and bogied to end with a 44.

44 with a 8 ain't bad at all, but you always deal with the what if.

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First time out in several weeks and shot a 42. Doubled the 1st when my green side bunker shot got bladed 20 yards across the green due to being on a downslope and compressed sand. Another double on a 205 yard par 3 when I tried a cut with my 5 iron that ended up going straight where I aimed (the woods). Other than that, a couple more bogeys and 5 pars. Only 3 GIR with 14 putts. Didn't play bad, but there were opportunities that I didn't take advantage of.

Not very hot, but walking 9 on this hilly course that was pretty humid with gnats everywhere took a lot out of me. Gosh, I'm out of shape.

May get out on Monday with my brother, but I expect a round of 18 to be 5+ hours even with a cart due to Memorial Day crowds.

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thus far I've got 5 rounds in this year with scores of 42 (+6), 41 (+6), 88 (+16), 89 (+18), and 92 (+20). Most recent rounds are listed first. So it looks like I'm in that mid 80 range over an 18 hole round. Hoping to get that down a few shotsto give a good chance at breaking 80 on a good day.