• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Round Tracker 2016

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A thread to post up your scores throughout the year along with any additional stats about the course you played if known (score, par, length, slope, etc).

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First round in a couple months without swinging a club between.

Score: 92 (+20)
Par: 72
Rating: 70.3
Slope: 133
GIR: 4
Putts: 29

Not a pretty sight, especially the first couple holes on each side (1,2,10, and 11) with a total score between them of 29. I was topping the ball almost every full swing the first couple holes and then started to at least make halfway decent contact, even though I still struggled to put one straight. I was happy with the short game making several 8+ ft putts and chipping within 4 ft often enough to at least keep me from shooting 100+ with the way my full swings were going today.

Oh well, definitely could've been better, but it could've been worse.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow...29 putt and didn't break 90...that was a bad tee ball day.

Sat...Monroe Golf & Country Club.

An older, mature track, fast greens with a fair amount of tilt on them...old school style...my 1st time playing it.

Score: 88 (+16)

Par:72
Rating:70.6
Slope:127

Last played 2 weeks ago, nothing sense...hit warm up balls/putting prior to the round.

Course was only 6300 from the tips and we played mixed tees at 5980, several shortish par 5s, and par 4, but all the par 3s are 150+

Putting was terrible...42...6 GIRs total, 3 were 3 jacked...1 was birdied, the other 2 were pars...struck the ball fairly well (played 1 ball the whole round) just didn't make many good short game shots...if I got it inside 6', I was above the pin it seemed.

Green complexes make that old course stand out.

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, probably one of my best days putting, but those four holes I mentioned were brutal from the tee to green. Just couldnt seem to stay down at all. Oh well, I may try to hit some foam practice balls to warm up with next time.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, probably one of my best days putting, but those four holes I mentioned were brutal from the tee to green. Just couldnt seem to stay down at all. Oh well, I may try to hit some foam practice balls to warm up with next time.

Probably just not loosened up in the hamstring area.

You stay in that <32 putt range and you'll be tough to beat.

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Better day overall, but got frustrated towards the end when trying to finish before dark with a foursome ahead that was goofing around most of the back nice.

Shot an 89 (+17) with 8 GiR and 37 putts. Was striking the ball well, but did have a few holes that blew up when I didn't hit the fairway and had my first couple 3 putts in a while. Had a few other putts that lipped out (2 for birdie and another for par).

Oh well, enjoyed most of the day and just have to remember to not get frustrated and out of rythm.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Better day overall, but got frustrated towards the end when trying to finish before dark with a foursome ahead that was goofing around most of the back nice.

Shot an 89 (+17) with 8 GiR and 37 putts. Was striking the ball well, but did have a few holes that blew up when I didn't hit the fairway and had my first couple 3 putts in a while. Had a few other putts that lipped out (2 for birdie and another for par).

Oh well, enjoyed most of the day and just have to remember to not get frustrated and out of rythm.

Broke 90...not bad, but it sounds like you missed a few putts too.

I spent 2 hours at the short game/practice green yesterday...I need to spend more time on the practice green before I play...4 or 5 putts and think I have the speed down is not working.

Forecast is for great weekend weather here so I expect to be back out Sat or Sun.

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back out to the first course I played this year yesterday and pulled in an 88 after a 42 on the front. The back had a couple holes that were just a mud pit and I slightly pulled a muscle in my side trying to retrieve a ball in the middle of the fairway, but also buried in sludge. The pin placements were pretty challenging being only a few paces from the edges. If you were above the hole, 3 putts was likely. Still ended up with 31 putts overall thanks to a good round of chipping keeping me within a few feet on many holes. Ended up with 8 GIR, but no birdies even though a couple burned the edge.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back out to the first course I played this year yesterday and pulled in an 88 after a 42 on the front. The back had a couple holes that were just a mud pit and I slightly pulled a muscle in my side trying to retrieve a ball in the middle of the fairway, but also buried in sludge. The pin placements were pretty challenging being only a few paces from the edges. If you were above the hole, 3 putts was likely. Still ended up with 31 putts overall thanks to a good round of chipping keeping me within a few feet on many holes. Ended up with 8 GIR, but no birdies even though a couple burned the edge.

A good start always helps.

I played twice over the weekend...48-41 at my home course...that front 9 included a 10 on the 1st hole...jacked 2 balls OB, flubbed a FW shot and a chip...after that blowup I had more 6, but played well overall. Everything is dormant still and the rough has been matted down from winter rains so I'm not really keeping FWs hit yet, but this course has 13 driving holes...I was in play on 11 of 13....up and down is really dicey the last few weeks...the fringes and areas around the greens we really soft...very easy to hit one fat and all of us did it...me more than once...on the back 9 I used my hybrid to bump it on.

Sun...I played a new course...private track...nice course, especially the greens, but I didn't play as well 93, had like 5 holes that had to be adjusted for handicap posting.

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A good start always helps.

I played twice over the weekend...48-41 at my home course...that front 9 included a 10 on the 1st hole...jacked 2 balls OB, flubbed a FW shot and a chip...after that blowup I had more 6, but played well overall. Everything is dormant still and the rough has been matted down from winter rains so I'm not really keeping FWs hit yet, but this course has 13 driving holes...I was in play on 11 of 13....up and down is really dicey the last few weeks...the fringes and areas around the greens we really soft...very easy to hit one fat and all of us did it...me more than once...on the back 9 I used my hybrid to bump it on.

Sun...I played a new course...private track...nice course, especially the greens, but I didn't play as well 93, had like 5 holes that had to be adjusted for handicap posting.

Yeah, the front was about where I left off last year, so I'm happy with the round in the 80s. Would love to get it in the mid to low 80s, but I'm happy with bogey golf for now.

I'm assuming that course doesn't have a practice range like the majority I play. I really think I need to take a good 15 minutes to hit some foam practice balls at least before starting my rounds. May even consider that more of a priority over the putting green, at least for now.

Even with the 10, you were still in the 80s, so it looks like you had a pretty decent round after that first hole.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, the front was about where I left off last year, so I'm happy with the round in the 80s. Would love to get it in the mid to low 80s, but I'm happy with bogey golf for now.

I'm assuming that course doesn't have a practice range like the majority I play. I really think I need to take a good 15 minutes to hit some foam practice balls at least before starting my rounds. May even consider that more of a priority over the putting green, at least for now.

Even with the 10, you were still in the 80s, so it looks like you had a pretty decent round after that first hole.

Strange no golf range on your courses...most every course here has a warm up range....yeah the foam balls are better than nothing.

At the range, I hit 4 drivers warming up and every last one was a draw...hole #1 is a DL left, bunker aim point, but OB about 30 yds right of the bunker...my norm is to aim at the bunker and turn it over....big push fade...started right and faded...2nd one not as bad, but hit a tree and kicked right...OB again.

With 17 holes to go, it's a little easier to regroup...too early to start drinking...lol

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Strange no golf range on your courses...most every course here has a warm up range....yeah the foam balls are better than nothing.

At the range, I hit 4 drivers warming up and every last one was a draw...hole #1 is a DL left, bunker aim point, but OB about 30 yds right of the bunker...my norm is to aim at the bunker and turn it over....big push fade...started right and faded...2nd one not as bad, but hit a tree and kicked right...OB again.

With 17 holes to go, it's a little easier to regroup...too early to start drinking...lol

I've found its never too early to start drinking on the course. Probably won't help the game, but will make you enjoy or forget about it easier.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haven't posted here in a while...my last 2 rounds were 86, and 95....my online hdcp index is 11.3 now...the 95 had to be esc adjusted to 89...3 major blow up holes.

Thru 9 posted rounds thus far.

FW hit is about 51%...in play...97%

GIR...avg is 6.5 per 18

UP & Down... 5 to 6 per round...roughly 55%

Low 82...high 95...avg 85, best 9 hole score...38

Putts...avg 31

Driving...Being in the fairway will be more important in a few weeks, with the exception of last week I've been striking it okay, plenty of approach chances inside 150 yds.

GIR...still not where I want to be, iron game is not consistent at all...some great shots...followed up by some poor ones...mostly coming up short, hitting just fat, or pulling left...need to take range tempo to course, adjust to lies better, and clubbing up and swing smoother when the lie is not great.

Chipping/pitching...much better of late as course conditions have improved...proximity and leave spots have gotten better...obviously room for improvement.

Putting...better...in the 95 round I made 4 pars via 1 putt green...2 from about 8-9' to win the skin on that hole. Speed has been better.

Hopefully I can improve on these stats as the warmer weather kicks in...trying to free up Fri afternoons to get in 18 and another on Sat or Sun during the day light savings time.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've found its never too early to start drinking on the course. Probably won't help the game, but will make you enjoy or forget about it easier.

I can say in my last 50 rounds I have not started later than 7am and have always cracked no later than the 4th hole. Actually the 3rd hole tee box is now the official spot to crack one.

It's almost always the same course. It's a municipal course in Queens. I would tell you the name but the stats on the course are a little embarrassing.

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haven't posted here in a while...my last 2 rounds were 86, and 95....my online hdcp index is 11.3 now...the 95 had to be esc adjusted to 89...3 major blow up holes.

Thru 9 posted rounds thus far.

FW hit is about 51%...in play...97%

GIR...avg is 6.5 per 18

UP & Down... 5 to 6 per round...roughly 55%

Low 82...high 95...avg 85, best 9 hole score...38

Putts...avg 31

Driving...Being in the fairway will be more important in a few weeks, with the exception of last week I've been striking it okay, plenty of approach chances inside 150 yds.

GIR...still not where I want to be, iron game is not consistent at all...some great shots...followed up by some poor ones...mostly coming up short, hitting just fat, or pulling left...need to take range tempo to course, adjust to lies better, and clubbing up and swing smoother when the lie is not great.

Chipping/pitching...much better of late as course conditions have improved...proximity and leave spots have gotten better...obviously room for improvement.

Putting...better...in the 95 round I made 4 pars via 1 putt green...2 from about 8-9' to win the skin on that hole. Speed has been better.

Hopefully I can improve on these stats as the warmer weather kicks in...trying to free up Fri afternoons to get in 18 and another on Sat or Sun during the day light savings time.

I definitely think we'd have a pretty competitive match if we were to ever get together. I always like playing with those that are within a handful of shots as it makes me focus a little more. Don't get me wrong, I like playing regardless, but when playing with my brother (100-115 most days) who really likes to drink, it sort of takes me off my best game and then I see my score creep up. I do have a coworker that is typically in the low 80s and found another playing partner that shoots in the mid 90s that I at least feel that I focus on most of the round.

My goals for this year would be to be close to averaging the following:

< 85 scoring
60+% driving
10+ GIR
< 32 putts

My sand and chipping game isn't too bad now as I can be close to up and down. I do really need to work on my < 100 yard approaches because they're less than a full swing. The last couple times I went to the range, I hit two buckets of balls with the very first one dedicated to my wedges trying to hit the same target ranges with all three clubs (PW, AW, and SW) with different trajectories before using the second bucket for my irons and woods.

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can say in my last 50 rounds I have not started later than 7am and have always cracked no later than the 4th hole. Actually the 3rd hole tee box is now the official spot to crack one.

It's almost always the same course. It's a municipal course in Queens. I would tell you the name but the stats on the course are a little embarrassing.

Haha, I hear ya. I typically bring a bottle of bourbon to sip on throughout the round when playing with my brother or friends and depending on the tee time, I may have already started or will take the first swig within a few holes.

When playing by myself, I walk the course and drink only water or Gatorade. I bet my score is on average 9+ shots better.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I definitely think we'd have a pretty competitive match if we were to ever get together. I always like playing with those that are within a handful of shots as it makes me focus a little more. Don't get me wrong, I like playing regardless, but when playing with my brother (100-115 most days) who really likes to drink, it sort of takes me off my best game and then I see my score creep up. I do have a coworker that is typically in the low 80s and found another playing partner that shoots in the mid 90s that I at least feel that I focus on most of the round.

< 85 scoring
60+% driving
10+ GIR
< 32 putts

My sand and chipping game isn't too bad now as I can be close to up and down. I do really need to work on my < 100 yard approaches because they're less than a full swing. The last couple times I went to the range, I hit two buckets of balls with the very first one dedicated to my wedges trying to hit the same target ranges with all three clubs (PW, AW, and SW) with different trajectories before using the second bucket for my irons and woods.

Competitive...I kinda felt that way too based on your scores.

Your brother...You sound like me when talking about my best golf buddy, we started the game around the same time...him maybe a yr before me and we've played easily 500 rounds together over the years...at one point, we were very evenly matched...for about 12 yrs we had a little traveling golf club and played an annual 72 (then shorten to 54) hole tourney...USGA rules...he won our 1st tournament..low 90s high 80s was pretty much whole group of us.

Then the wheels fell off entirely about 3 yrs ago when he stopped playing for a while when he was in between jobs...started back in '14. He's having trouble breaking a 100 now and it bleeds over into my game...I'm giving him 5 shots a side just to stay focused my game and I'm still beating him by 5 or 10 some days.

Because we've played together so long I haven't stopped playing with him, but I've started playing with some other guys...they score high 70s to mid 80s, but I'm learning they don't know the rules well so it's hard to say if they really do score better.

Ex.

Player putts a ball from on the green...it strikes another ball on the green...neither player realized it was a problem...I interjected and told the putter he incurred a 2 shot penalty...Another player blasts out of the bunker and his club hit the ball on the follow through...dbl hit...he had no clue it was a penalty.

They call me the rules police now and I hate that, but at least they abide once they learn something new.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

< 85 scoring
60+% driving
10+ GIR
< 32 putts

On your goals.

Lofty...You would be a single digit index on most tracks...I'm just trying to get some rounds in the 70s this year and hopefully no more mid 90s.

Playing as a member at his private track today...short and penal...my one and only time around that course time I didn't fare well on the back 9...43-46...we'll see what happens today.

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Snuck in a quick 9 today with an 41 (+6).

15 putts
5/6 tee shots with the driver finding the short stuff and the other playable
Only 2 GIR, but these are postage stamp greens

Did have a double, but I don't feel too bad about it because I was rushing a little to finish up.

Last round before getting snipped on Thursday until a charity tournament next Saturday. Hopefully, I won't be too sore with it being over a week later.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Snuck in a quick 9 today with an 41 (+6).

15 putts
5/6 tee shots with the driver finding the short stuff and the other playable
Only 2 GIR, but these are postage stamp greens

Did have a double, but I don't feel too bad about it because I was rushing a little to finish up.

Last round before getting snipped on Thursday until a charity tournament next Saturday. Hopefully, I won't be too sore with it being over a week later.

Solid.

Polo G&CC was that course I played and it got me again...had a snow man on both sides but managed to score under 90 this time, had four "3s" on the card to save it...44-43...didn't keep stats this round...we played this game I'd never played before...poker golf...lot of fun.

So much so that I'm getting that game....keeps it fun, nobody loses much money.