• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Romo gets traded to?

Where does Romo end up?

• Denver

Votes: 12 30.0%
  • Buffalo

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Houston

Votes: 9 22.5%
  • NY Jets

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Miami

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jacksonville

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Potato Salad

Votes: 10 25.0%

• Total voters

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If traded, I think a conditional 2nd round pick in 2018 is most likely.

2nd seems a little high but with the eagles getting a 1st for Bradford you never know. Romo should still have several good seasons left.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boys only save $5M by cutting him. I think he sticks around as an insurance policy in case Dak goes down and to help groom the young QB. Then after this year I think he's gone cause they'd save $17M.
Poor cap analysis.
Romo is due $14M in 2017. If they release him they save $14M.
The Cowboys have a $10.7M cap hit to deal with in 2017 from money paid to Romo in the past. That can't be altered. There's $8.9M of additional cap hits from previous salary payments. That can't be avoided but the 1st $5.7M of it isn't due to count until 2018. If the Cowboys release Romo they can bring the $8.9M forward into 2017 if they wish OR they can account for all of it in 2018. (In effect it would merely bring the final $3.2M hit forward from 2019 to 2018). This can be done by designating Romo as a June 1st, (May 12th), release. Technically they would have to account for Romo's 2017 salary against the cap until the release date but it makes no difference to Romo if he is released with a cancelled $14M salary or a cancelled $1M salary. It won't be a surprise if Romo agrees to a $1M 2017 salary before becoming a June 1st designation. Then again, the Cowboys might not be concerned about bringing forward the future cap hits. Bottom line: If Romo is released they'll save $14M.

I think the Cowboys will let Romo make the decision. If he wants to move on they'll let him go. If he wants to stay they'll work out a new deal based on playing time that allows him to fight for the Cowboys starting job.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2nd seems a little high but with the eagles getting a 1st for Bradford you never know. Romo should still have several good seasons left.

1st AND a 4th for Bradford.

A 2018 conditional 2nd rounder, that could revert to a 3rd rounder based on games played seems about right to me. Most likely to occur after 6/1.

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1st AND a 4th for Bradford.

A 2018 conditional 2nd rounder, that could revert to a 3rd rounder based on games played seems about right to me. Most likely to occur after 6/1.

If Dallas could get a 2nd and draft defense they could end up with several starters for next season.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dallas can't afford Romo's contract next year. Would have to restructure other guys to make it work. Not worth fucking up good contracts and mortgaging future cap space to keep Romo around for another year.

Aren't they going to have to do that anyway? I mean Romo's contract doesn't save them a whole lot so no matter what they are going to have to do some Salary Cap juggling to make this work. Already know they need $3-5 million for the Draft. Another $5 million in just in case money for injuries. So Rom's contract doesn't get them there.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Dallas could get a 2nd and draft defense they could end up with several starters for next season.

If traded, I don't think Dallas will see the payoff until the 2018 draft. I have to believe if traded for a draft pick, the team receiving Romo will want the pick to be on a conditional basis - that would take a season to sort out.

TJL

Patriarch
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kansas City should trade future picks for him, and then take Watson in the draft.

Alex Smith is good, but he will never get them where they want to be, this day in age unless you have the best defense in the NFL, you are not going to win the SB with a game manager.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aren't they going to have to do that anyway? I mean Romo's contract doesn't save them a whole lot so no matter what they are going to have to do some Salary Cap juggling to make this work. Already know they need $3-5 million for the Draft. Another $5 million in just in case money for injuries. So Rom's contract doesn't get them there.

If traded or released post 6/1, I think Dallas can manage the cap without restructuring guys like Smith, Frederick, Crawford, Dez.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If traded, I think a conditional 2nd round pick in 2018 is most likely.

This is what I am hearing from around the league. The Cowboys have requested something around that area or just a bit higher and teams are completely scoffing at the idea. They think the Cowboys are ridiculous for asking for that much especially after watching the whole Bradford deal not work out all that well for the Vikings. The whole fool me once shame on you but fool me twice shame on me thing comes into play here. Also with Bradford he is much younger and had actually played I think 14 of the 16 games the season before so teams were more trusting of him actually staying healthy.

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kansas City should trade future picks for him, and then take Watson in the draft.

Alex Smith is good, but he will never get them where they want to be, this day in age unless you have the best defense in the NFL, you are not going to win the SB with a game manager.

KC is an interesting idea. QB's that can take over a game like Rodgers, Ryan and Brady seem to be what it takes now.

Reactions: TJL

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Dallas will cut him, save $5 million, and let him sign wherever he wants

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going with a dark horse.

Buffalo.

I think they are a qb away from being a contender. They got the defense to compete....

I can't see them letting Tyrod go because of money, only to take on the expensive but brittle Romo AND losing a draft pick in the process. IMO, it's either Tyrod or 1st round draft pick for Bills QB.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KC is an interesting idea. QB's that can take over a game like Rodgers, Ryan and Brady seem to be what it takes now.
Not a chance in hell with our cap situation. Can't tear down the team to make room for Romo. No way, no how. Watson makes a lot more sense if he drops into a reasonable distance to the Chiefs.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If traded or released post 6/1, I think Dallas can manage the cap without restructuring guys like Smith, Frederick, Crawford, Dez.

It is possible yes. No matter what you do you are pushing cap issues further down the road. They are helped by the fact that Dak won't cost but pennies on the dollar so they should be able to get it back under control but still Romo's contract will hurt them from improving any other way but the draft this year from what I can tell.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Poor cap analysis.
Romo is due $14M in 2017. If they release him they save $14M.
The Cowboys have a $10.7M cap hit to deal with in 2017 from money paid to Romo in the past. That can't be altered. There's $8.9M of additional cap hits from previous salary payments. That can't be avoided but the 1st $5.7M of it isn't due to count until 2018. If the Cowboys release Romo they can bring the $8.9M forward into 2017 if they wish OR they can account for all of it in 2018. (In effect it would merely bring the final $3.2M hit forward from 2019 to 2018). This can be done by designating Romo as a June 1st, (May 12th), release. Technically they would have to account for Romo's 2017 salary against the cap until the release date but it makes no difference to Romo if he is released with a cancelled $14M salary or a cancelled $1M salary. It won't be a surprise if Romo agrees to a $1M 2017 salary before becoming a June 1st designation. Then again, the Cowboys might not be concerned about bringing forward the future cap hits. Bottom line: If Romo is released they'll save $14M.

I think the Cowboys will let Romo make the decision. If he wants to move on they'll let him go. If he wants to stay they'll work out a new deal based on playing time that allows him to fight for the Cowboys starting job.

Not sure I follow:

Tony Romo

That's his base salary, not his entire cap hit, and due to guaranteed/penalties they get dead cap.... that impacts how much savings they get. Can you help explain based on what spotrac shows?

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is what I am hearing from around the league. The Cowboys have requested something around that area or just a bit higher and teams are completely scoffing at the idea. They think the Cowboys are ridiculous for asking for that much especially after watching the whole Bradford deal not work out all that well for the Vikings. The whole fool me once shame on you but fool me twice shame on me thing comes into play here. Also with Bradford he is much younger and had actually played I think 14 of the 16 games the season before so teams were more trusting of him actually staying healthy.

The Bradford deal didn't end up working out because Peterson got hurt and the rest of the team sucked. It had nothing to do with Bradford not playing well. So it should not scare teams away from making a deal for Romo.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We see it all the time, teams over paying for QBs. There are a myriad of examples of QBs with far less going for them than Romo that teams over pay for. I will wait and see. I don't buy all this B.S. that Romo isn't worth a conditional 2nd based on games played. The trading team gets protected in the event that Romo misses significant time, and if Romo plays, then I am confident a 2nd rounder will be worth it.

TJL

Patriarch
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Chiefs would be one hit away from being 4-12. Romo is a backup imo
Their starting QB had 15 passing TD's this year, the Chiefs are too good overall to ever be 4-12, I also think if Romo got injured, you'd have Watson, who has a similar game to Romo, imo, to learn from Romo while taking over the reigns of a great team.