• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Romo gets traded to?

Where does Romo end up?

• Denver

Votes: 12 30.0%
  • Buffalo

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Houston

Votes: 9 22.5%
  • NY Jets

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Miami

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jacksonville

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Potato Salad

Votes: 10 25.0%

• Total voters

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure I follow:

Tony Romo

That's his base salary, not his entire cap hit, and due to guaranteed/penalties they get dead cap.... that impacts how much savings they get. Can you help explain based on what spotrac shows?
Romo's 2017 salary is $14M. This is not guaranteed so it doesn't count against the Cowboys if he is released. There is $19.6M of dead money against the Cowboys for money they've already paid to Romo but haven't accounted for against the cap. That cap hit can't be avoided. $10.7M of it will count this year. That can't be altered regardless of whether Romo stays or goes. there's $5.7M that is due to count in 2018 and $3.2M that's due to count in 2019. Those future hits stay with the Cowboys not with Romo. Any team acquiring Romo does NOT pick up those cap hits. If Romo leaves the Cowboys the future cap hits will accelerate into the current year. It's not a case of IF the Cowboys get the cap hits. It's only a case of WHEN. Should Romo leave that future combined $8.9M should accelerate into 2017. However, the NFL allows teams to delay future cap hits from accelerating into the current year if the team designates the departing player as a post June 1st release. If a team does that the future cap hits accelerate into the following cap year. Should Romo be released the Cowboys might well decide to designate him as a post June 1st release so the $5.7M due to count in 2018 would stay in 2018 whilst the $3.2M due to count in 2019 would only accelerate into 2018.

In real terms cutting a player saves non-guaranteed future salary. In Romo's case it's $14M.

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed, so then we are talking about a QB with maybe even worse injury concerns, age is a huge issue, and hasn't hardly played in 2 years. And you are thinking teams are wanting to give up a 2nd for him?

I wouldn't but that seems to be what the market has supported.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed, so then we are talking about a QB with maybe even worse injury concerns, age is a huge issue, and hasn't hardly played in 2 years. And you are thinking teams are wanting to give up a 2nd for him?

Considering what most teams pay for QB in trades, that isn't unreasonable with the proper protections in place due to injury (games played).

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Considering what most teams pay for QB in trades, that isn't unreasonable with the proper protections in place due to injury (games played).

We shall see I guess. You are right teams have paid more for QB's in the past. Most of them though were QB's that were young and had showed some promise along the way or like the Bradford situation a team became very desperate after a key injury. That is why I think holding onto him instead of trying to deal him over the next month or two makes much more sense. His value changes depending on the needs around the league.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We shall see I guess. You are right teams have paid more for QB's in the past. Most of them though were QB's that were young and had showed some promise along the way or like the Bradford situation a team became very desperate after a key injury. That is why I think holding onto him instead of trying to deal him over the next month or two makes much more sense. His value changes depending on the needs around the league.

Due to Cowboys cap situation, it's almost a certainty that a decision on Romo will not be made official until after 6/1.

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There are some teams known for making poor personnel decisions that are in the market for a QB.

Inimical

Sports Hooplah Local Reporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 523.17
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Romo's 2017 salary is $14M. This is not guaranteed so it doesn't count against the Cowboys if he is released. There is $19.6M of dead money against the Cowboys for money they've already paid to Romo but haven't accounted for against the cap. That cap hit can't be avoided. $10.7M of it will count this year. That can't be altered regardless of whether Romo stays or goes. there's $5.7M that is due to count in 2018 and $3.2M that's due to count in 2019. Those future hits stay with the Cowboys not with Romo. Any team acquiring Romo does NOT pick up those cap hits. If Romo leaves the Cowboys the future cap hits will accelerate into the current year. It's not a case of IF the Cowboys get the cap hits. It's only a case of WHEN. Should Romo leave that future combined $8.9M should accelerate into 2017. However, the NFL allows teams to delay future cap hits from accelerating into the current year if the team designates the departing player as a post June 1st release. If a team does that the future cap hits accelerate into the following cap year. Should Romo be released the Cowboys might well decide to designate him as a post June 1st release so the $5.7M due to count in 2018 would stay in 2018 whilst the $3.2M due to count in 2019 would only accelerate into 2018.

In real terms cutting a player saves non-guaranteed future salary. In Romo's case it's $14M.
So buyout?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are some teams known for making poor personnel decisions that are in the market for a QB.

True but that is why people suggesting the Broncos doing such a thing is puzzling to me. They haven't done that yet. People thought the Broncos were making a huge mistake not upping their offer to Osweiler this past year to match the Texans and go into the season with 2 inexperienced QB's. Well I think we all saw last week why that decision proved to be a smart one. They have patience and trust of the young players to not make a panic move.

cowboys5xsbs

Surprise Motherfucker
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Romo is traded it has to be an deal based on health. AKA Romo plays no games 4th round pick, Romo plays 8 games 3rd round pick, Romo plays 16 games 2nd round pick, Romo wins superbowl 1st round pick. I think this is the only way you get the deal done because whoever trades for him wants the protection from him getting injured.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texans make most sense, too much in Brock already. Denver is his best place. AFC, has a supporting cast around him.

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True but that is why people suggesting the Broncos doing such a thing is puzzling to me. They haven't done that yet. People thought the Broncos were making a huge mistake not upping their offer to Osweiler this past year to match the Texans and go into the season with 2 inexperienced QB's. Well I think we all saw last week why that decision proved to be a smart one. They have patience and trust of the young players to not make a panic move.

Denver would be a long shot. They aren't known for bad personnel moves. They are just a team that could use a good veteran QB for a year or two.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its a bit of a catch 22, though. The good teams that need Romo aren't the teams that have GMs that would reach like that.

(in theory )

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Romo is traded it has to be an deal based on health. AKA Romo plays no games 4th round pick, Romo plays 8 games 3rd round pick, Romo plays 16 games 2nd round pick, Romo wins superbowl 1st round pick. I think this is the only way you get the deal done because whoever trades for him wants the protection from him getting injured.

Agree with this. It will be a next to nothing deal but with escalators that any team is ok paying. Who wouldn't give up a 2nd round pick to have a QB lead them back to the playoffs, or the last pick in the 1st round for a SB win? Not saying Tony will do that, but if you make a trade like this then that is your hope.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texans make most sense, too much in Brock already. Denver is his best place. AFC, has a supporting cast around him.

Only problem with Houston as a landing spot is the fact that Osweiler has a $25mil dead money cap hit in 2017.

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its a bit of a catch 22, though. The good teams that need Romo aren't the teams that have GMs that would reach like that.

(in theory )

There is always the possibility that Dallas tries to send him to a team he can be successful with and receive less in trade.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Oh jeez, I get what you're saying. I think we were talking about two different things. Cap hit vs. Cash hit.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Denver would be a long shot. They aren't known for bad personnel moves. They are just a team that could use a good veteran QB for a year or two.

This assumes though that they are not excited about the prospects of Lynch over the next year or two. To me you can look at the coaching hires as a perfect example of just how much the Broncos want Lynch starting this year. Again why I don't think they go after Romo. They can take that $14 million and go get 2 starters for the OL to help protect the young kid.

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This assumes though that they are not excited about the prospects of Lynch over the next year or two. To me you can look at the coaching hires as a perfect example of just how much the Broncos want Lynch starting this year. Again why I don't think they go after Romo. They can take that $14 million and go get 2 starters for the OL to help protect the young kid.

If Lynch is developing then this is the better option. The fact that he was benched for a player with no future as a starter isn't a good sign.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Lynch is developing then this is the better option. The fact that he was benched for a player with no future as a starter isn't a good sign.

He wasn't exactly benched. He was the back up that came in for an injured QB for a few games this year. It was obvious he wasn't ready going into this season. Some of that is on him and just being such a raw prospect. Some of it is on the coaching staff and a big reason the entire offensive staff but a couple of guys go fired. Elway was furious at the end of the year that Lynch was not playing. He pretty much told Kubiak to put him in and well we saw Kubiak knowing he was retiring decide to go against Elway and play his guy.

From the sound of things in Denver Elway sees himself in Lynch. Very similar playing style and both just physical freaks for the position. Kubiak saw himself in Siemian and played him at the end of the year because he viewed it as giving the kid the shot he never got playing behind Elway.

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He wasn't exactly benched. He was the back up that came in for an injured QB for a few games this year. It was obvious he wasn't ready going into this season. Some of that is on him and just being such a raw prospect. Some of it is on the coaching staff and a big reason the entire offensive staff but a couple of guys go fired. Elway was furious at the end of the year that Lynch was not playing. He pretty much told Kubiak to put him in and well we saw Kubiak knowing he was retiring decide to go against Elway and play his guy.

From the sound of things in Denver Elway sees himself in Lynch. Very similar playing style and both just physical freaks for the position. Kubiak saw himself in Siemian and played him at the end of the year because he viewed it as giving the kid the shot he never got playing behind Elway.

Benched vs second string. Same thing. But if Lynch is developing then there is no point in bringing in a veteran that is a proven NFL starter. Like I said though. Denver is a long shot to get Romo. It would almost have to be a deal that Romo forces. Houston is a better fit if they could get rid of that stupid Oswieler contract.