• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Remember when Laker fans said they could sign Lebron?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:L at this thread and the discussions in it.

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Listen guys you all have short term memory loss. I was first to applaud the Howard deal to LA. They were going to transform from and aging Kobe team to a up and rising Dwight team. They had picks, if they amnestied Kobe they would have had a boat load of cash.

If you think letting go of Kobe would of been the smart move you're not implying anyhting coming in to a season when the New TV deal starts. Ya it's a no brainer they should of done it right ?? everything would be ok with the fans base & filling up seats. :doh:

The ownership infighted in the public press and then, on top of all those mistakes, they begged then bashed Howard.

When did ownership bash on Howard ?? If I recall the only Laker that came out publicly talking about Howards IQ was Kareem, other then that nobody from ownership said anything, they wished him well & good luck, stop making shit up.

I never said they wont rebuild. I am merely discussing now how they must move. It will start at the top, not by signing a FA (unless its LBJ).

Sisgining LB aint happening, but this doesn't mean they shouldn't sign another FA just because it wasn't Lebron. Come on wake up dude they are going to try & get who ever is available if it's not LB, wake up.

They must get a organization that behaves w/o spreading their dirty laundry in public. If those changes arent going to happen,

WTF!!! Are you talking about ?? man you're smoking some good shit, past that over here. :laugh3:

The belief that Love is a Laker is fascinating.

Didn't you just say it has to be Lebron being a Laker not no one else ?? :scratch:

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I started this thread to have a real convo.

The original post are things I've ACTUALLY HEARD said by Laker fans. Some of you can get a little sensitive I see.

I'm curious because my Mavs are in a similar situation. We have an aging star, a ton of young role players, but we don't have any top draft picks. We can't seem to get FAs to sign with us despite having a recent title, great ownership, and a great city with no state taxes.

LA has a ton of built in advantages.....but despite what some of you think, it is REALITY that some players don't have a large desire to play with Kobe. He DOES have a reputation.....it's been discussed ad nausem. Laker fans refuse to believe it.....but the proof is in the pudding so to speak.

The Lakers are like most great franchises - they NEED a superstar player to build around. Unless Kobe takes a back seat that's not going to be EASY to do. As good a player as Love is, I'm not sure you can really make him a centerpiece to build around. I still believe the Lakers need to DRAFT talent instead of always looking for FAs.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The original post are things I've ACTUALLY HEARD said by Laker fans. Some of you can get a little sensitive I see.

You say this, yet when asked to provide screennames.......crickets.

I'm curious because my Mavs are in a similar situation. We have an aging star, a ton of young role players, but we don't have any top draft picks. We can't seem to get FAs to sign with us despite having a recent title, great ownership, and a great city with no state taxes.

I've never been able to figure this out about the Mavs. Dallas is a great city, from a player standpoint, Cuban is a great owner who defends and spoils his players and your superstar has openly said that he would take a back seat to another max FA. Yet no FA's of real consequence seem to sign there. It's mindboggling.

refuse to believe it.....but the proof is in the pudding so to speak.

The Lakers are like most great franchises - they NEED a superstar player to build around. Unless Kobe takes a back seat that's not going to be EASY to do. As good a player as Love is, I'm not sure you can really make him a centerpiece to build around. I still believe the Lakers need to DRAFT talent instead of always looking for FAs.

The Lakers will do both. Love is definitely a player that can be built around, especially since two max level players are what's needed for titles these days. The Lakers are looking at a #5 or better pick in the upcoming draft, so they should be able to get a very good young player.

As for Kobe taking a backseat, not really all that necessary. It's a 2 year deal. Any max level FA with half a brain can certainly be smart enough to be patient for a season or 2.

Where, other than internet message boards, has it been discussed "ad nauseum" that other players don't want to play with Kobe? I've not heard or read where a single player said that (except maybe Smush Parker).

Last edited by a moderator:

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure is. It will be fascinating to see your reaction when he signs with the Lakers.

You still haven't explained to me how Love will be forced to sign an extension after Minnesota trades him for assets. If he wants to become a free agent and explore his options he can regardless of what Minnesota does with him.

It's likely that he never will, because he obviously can't. He's been spewing this "T-Wolves won't let him go for nothing" stuff and has had it explained to him multiple times that Love does not HAVE to sign an extension, but he keeps repeating it. Maybe he thinks that if he repeats it often enough, it'll come true!!

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LA has a ton of built in advantages.....but despite what some of you think, it is REALITY that some players don't have a large desire to play with Kobe. He DOES have a reputation.....it's been discussed ad nausem. Laker fans refuse to believe it.....but the proof is in the pudding so to speak.

And just like we told you when you started the thread, you either wanted attention or you are not paying attention to the Lakers this year. Those things were said by Lakers fans, before we knew we would face all these injuries. Any smart person knows that.

And who are these players that dont want to play with Kobe?

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And just like we told you when you started the thread, you either wanted attention or you are not paying attention to the Lakers this year. Those things were said by Lakers fans, before we knew we would face all these injuries. Any smart person knows that.

none that he's gonna find. this dude wants to make assumptions, but i've never read about ANY player that doesn't want to play with Kobe. haters gonna hate...

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Who are these players that DO?

Shaq didn't. Malone didn't leave with nice things to say. Smush, while laughable, didn't either. Neither did Howard. It's been a recurring pattern......but you guys will NEVER see it. So be it.

Some players have an ability to play at a high level, and still share the spotlight. This is not a virtue Kobe has. His reputation precedes him. I'm sure a LOT of top level talent is cool with him off the court. But players do talk......and just because they haven't said it in the press doesn't make it any less obvious.

Even without the injuries, THIS Laker squad was highly unlikely to make the playoffs. There just isn't enough talent to compete in a very STACKED western conference. The cupboard is pretty bare.

LA has the luxury of being a FA destination.......but I think you guys will find there's better chemistry without Kobe. It will be an easier rebuild. I just don't think he's going to give up the reigns in 2 years no matter HOW he's playing, and I think it's obvious he's running the show. I think Short Buss is scared of Kobe to be honest. I think if Kupchak were smart he'd have traded Pau LAST year along with Nash for whatever he could get.

Well, actually.........most likely Kupchak isn't being allowed to do his job the way he wants. I also think a LOT of you are underestimating the stench of a bad FO to potential players. Right now I think the Lakers FO is in disarray. I'm actually hoping Jeannie takes control. The LEAGUE is better off when the Lakers are competitive......I'd also like to see either the Knicks or Bulls be competitive as well.

But these are just my own personal musings. I'm sure most of you will disagree with most of it, and that's fine.......I've been telling my Laker fan friends some of these things for the last 5 years - like the lack of a quality PG, the inability to guard perimeter shooters, and the lack of playing inside out basketball despite being the only team in the league with 2 All Star 7 footers in the paint. Everything that's happened to this team the last 3 years has been completely predictable, but no one ever listens.

Black Adam

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shaq didn't. Malone didn't leave with nice things to say. Smush, while laughable, didn't either. Neither did Howard. It's been a recurring pattern......but you guys will NEVER see it. So be it.

YOU'RE the one who keeps saying Kobe has this "rep", but haven't produced a darn thing to back it up. so be it...

"recurring pattern". seriously? well, you can believe whatever you like, i guess. free country...

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

YOU'RE the one who keeps saying Kobe has this "rep", but haven't produced a darn thing to back it up. so be it...

"recurring pattern". seriously? well, you can believe whatever you like, i guess. free country...

Like I said, you will NEVER see it. It's clear as day. SHOW ME a list of players that LOVED playing with Kobe. SHOW ME this list of great players that's lining up at the gates to play with Kobe. I haven't seen it and NEITHER HAVE YOU.

Kobe is who he is. He's going to play how he plays, and damn anyone else's stats. Thats just the way it is.

I don't expect you to get it. Pretty much no Kobe fans do. That's fine with me. I'm really not trying to "hate" on Kobe or bash him either. He isn't the first player like this, and he won't be the last.

Black Adam

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said, you will NEVER see it. It's clear as day. SHOW ME a list of players that LOVED playing with Kobe. SHOW ME this list of great players that's lining up at the gates to play with Kobe. I haven't seen it and NEITHER HAVE YOU.
yeah, ok. so your undeniable proof is Shaq(who won 2 rings with the guy), and a tiny list of players(Smush Parker? the guy couldn't play to save his own life) Dwight Howard, who's never SAID what you're accusing him of one way or the other, and the same with Malone. well, NOW i see the light...

fact of the matter is this "rep" you supposedly have him tagged with DOESN'T EXIST. backed up by the FACT you can't prove it...

Kobe is who he is. He's going to play how he plays, and damn anyone else's stats. Thats just the way it is.

funny how you bring up his stats. why have his ASSIST numbers increased further into his career...?

I don't expect you to get it. Pretty much no Kobe fans do. That's fine with me. I'm really not trying to "hate" on Kobe or bash him either. He isn't the first player like this, and he won't be the last.

sure. you're just making up something that isn't even there. i'm HARDLY a "Kobe fan" and have said so numerous times in the past. trust me when i say i get it just fine. but some fans simply like to ASSUME things and that seems to definitely be the case here. it is what it is...

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

sure. you're just making up something that isn't even there. i'm HARDLY a "Kobe fan" and have said so numerous times in the past. trust me when i say i get it just fine. but some fans simply like to ASSUME things and that seems to definitely be the case here. it is what it is...

Believe what you like. I have yet to meet a kobe fan that really gets it, although nearly everyone else with two eyes does.

That's not really the point. Kobe will not go into the night quietly, which is really my point. Guys like him never seem to know when to hang them up, their competitive nature just can't let go. It's always hard when the greats get older......

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
StarBigD- Just go on to the team site for LA in sportshoopla and see the posters stating what your stating. On the main board they seem to need to put on a front about Dantoni or Kobe's deal, or the dissing of Phil. Guys, its not like we all cant read those posts.

You guys see this stuff. Heck your own LA writers/paper are having a field day with the drama.

It for me is much like the end of the Bird era. Celtics tried to sign a bunch of old players , gave away picks, coach shuffle dujour, and a desire to market Bird to fill seats vs just get the rebuild started.

The league is much better when LA starts the rebuild, truly, and gets not into the playoffs, but builds a team that can contend for a ring.

Its about winning. The Kobe of 5 to 10 years ago is not walking through that door. Move on

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Starbigd, where are the current players that dont want to play with Kobe? But lets talk about the players you brought up. Shaq? They had their beef but shaq always said he loved playing with kobe and the reason he left LA, was because Buss didnt pay him what he wanted, so he was traded. Malone? He was trying to get at Kobe's wife according to Kobe, so ofcourse it was going to be problems. It had nothing to do with actually playing with kobe. Smush? Lol, next!

Now, find me one quote that shows Howard didnt like playing with Kobe.

So, who are these current players?

Last time I checked, Gasol, Artest, Odom, Ariza, etc. loved playing with Kobe. Lebron, Melo, and Wade couldn't stop talking about how great it was to work with Kobe in the Olympics. Chris Paul was happy to be traded to the Lakers. Love already has Lakers at the top of his list.

Who are these players?

And of course it wasnt a line of players lining up to play with the Lakers, its because the Lakers were always over the cap.

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
StarBigD- Just go on to the team site for LA in sportshoopla and see the posters stating what your stating. On the main board they seem to need to put on a front about Dantoni or Kobe's deal, or the dissing of Phil. Guys, its not like we all cant read those posts.

You guys see this stuff. Heck your own LA writers/paper are having a field day with the drama.

It for me is much like the end of the Bird era. Celtics tried to sign a bunch of old players , gave away picks, coach shuffle dujour, and a desire to market Bird to fill seats vs just get the rebuild started.

The league is much better when LA starts the rebuild, truly, and gets not into the playoffs, but builds a team that can contend for a ring.

Its about winning. The Kobe of 5 to 10 years ago is not walking through that door. Move on

Im starting to think you are slow. Its like no matter how many times something is explained to you, it goes out the other ear.

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Starbigd, where are the current players that dont want to play with Kobe? But lets talk about the players you brought up. Shaq? They had their beef but shaq always said he loved playing with kobe and the reason he left LA, was because Buss didnt pay him what he wanted, so he was traded. Malone? He was trying to get at Kobe's wife according to Kobe, so ofcourse it was going to be problems. It had nothing to do with actually playing with kobe. Smush? Lol, next!

Now, find me one quote that shows Howard didnt like playing with Kobe.

So, who are these current players?

Last time I checked, Gasol, Artest, Odom, Ariza, etc. loved playing with Kobe. Lebron, Melo, and Wade couldn't stop talking about how great it was to work with Kobe in the Olympics. Chris Paul was happy to be traded to the Lakers. Love already has Lakers at the top of his list.

Who are these players?

And of course it wasnt a line of players lining up to play with the Lakers, its because the Lakers were always over the cap.

If I recall also Derek Fisher loved playing with Kobe who came in to the League with with him in 96, so did Glen Rice, Horry, Walton, Farmar, Ron Harper,Rick Fox, JR Rider, Shaw, Gary Payton. A pretty impressive list of guys who loved playing with Kobe IMO.

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I recall also Derek Fisher loved playing with Kobe who came in to the League with with him in 96, so did Glen Rice, Horry, Walton, Farmar, Ron Harper,Rick Fox, JR Rider, Shaw, Gary Payton. A pretty impressive list of guys who loved playing with Kobe IMO.

Exactly!

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've said Mitch should leave......he's made some bad moves the last few years.......but then again, it's probably not him pulling the trigger on these deals.

The Nash deal was bad from the get go. IMO so was the Howard deal. But I don't think he's calling the shots, which is WHY he should leave. If the FO isn't allowing you to do your job, find one that will. I think Mitch can be a part of the solution.......but they've got to let him do it.

This process should have started LAST year. Coming into this season, World Peace, Gasol, Nash, and Howard should not have even been CONSIDERED to remain as Lakers players. They should have ALL been traded last year. Instead, you let Howard walk......you hold on to old man Nash that's been all but useless his entire tenure there. World Peace isn't doing anything for you either. I couldn't figure out WHY none of these players weren't on the block last season. I suspect Short Buss is the answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.