• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Remember when Laker fans said they could sign Lebron?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ahhhhhh..... I see

I try to give Malibu a taste of his own medicine and my posts get removed.

Yet his and many others whose posts (not referring to this thread) mostly consist of nothing but accusing others of being bandwagon fans.... they stay up and don't get removed.

:stephena:

:bawling::bawling::bawling:

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lakers USC, no team in their right mind would trade for him and not make a contract extension part of the process. Bulls would require that for giving up all those picks and any players they moved. Thats how those deals get done around the league

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trojan dont be so sure. Yes, I know, everyone says no one wants to play with Kobe, and his contract does constrain LA for adding more than just LBJ, but ya know, Lebron is not about the money, he is about his legacy. Other players want to play with him.........LA may get a interest from others. Perhaps he turns the Lakers around and gets them back in a few years. Great resume story. If he wins a few more rings he will be the face of LA, and maybe even talk of him being at the MJ level.............he is getting close.

Love trade rumors will overtake Rondo rumors this year. Chicago really is in a great position with all their cap space and a bundle of picks to give to Minnesota. Love will not finish his contract in Wolves jersey.

I don't even give a 2nd thought to the "nobody wants to play with Kobe" garbage. I haven't heard a single player say that they don't want to play with Kobe. Until I do, it's just made up internet crap.

You do give some compelling reasons for Lebron to sign with the Lakers, though. Even if Kobe were a reason for Lebron not to want to sign with the Lakers, it's a 2 year contract. I'm pretty sure that Lebron is smart enough to be patient for a couple of seasons in order to reap the benefits that you describe. In fact, from what I've seen from Lebron, I think that he would be like Magic was towards Kareem. Everyone knew it was Magic's team, but he always said it was "Cap's" team. I could see Lebron being patient enough to say the right things for a couple of seasons.

However, I think that Lebron will stay in Miami because of his legacy. His popularity, legacy, etc. took a huge hit with the way he handled free agency last time and still suffers to this day. I don't think he'll want to go through that again. It may well be looked at as first he had to put together a "Superfriends team" with D-Wade and Bosh and now he has to go to the team with the most money so that he can have another "Superfriends team" put around him.

It will be interesting to see what happens. As I said, the Lakers will undoubtedly put a very attractive offer out there for him.

Imagine how much smarter Jim Buss would suddenly become if Lebron did sign with the Lakers!!:lol:

As for Love, unless the Lakers get Lebron, I believe he will be a Laker. There has been a lot of mutual interest and the Lakers are rumored to be at the top of his list. As for him being traded, unless he agrees to a sign and trade, he will still be a free agent.

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The reason LBJ most likely will not sign with the Lakers is because LBJ will want to play on a contender and after Kobe's contract and his diminished skill level building a contending roster is impossible.

Kobe retires you guys sign Love, a decent YOUNG Center and some shooters and you might have a shot at LBJ, I do not see that happening this year.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The reason LBJ most likely will not sign with the Lakers is because LBJ will want to play on a contender and after Kobe's contract and his diminished skill level building a contending roster is impossible.

Kobe retires you guys sign Love, a decent YOUNG Center and some shooters and you might have a shot at LBJ, I do not see that happening this year.

Incorrect re: it being impossible to build a contending roster. Assuming Lebron were to sign with the Lakers:

The Lakers current roster has about 4-6 young, athletic players who would be a very good fit as role players, especially with a player of Lebron's skill set. Lebron alone, with the current roster, likely makes the Lakers a 2nd round exit playoff team (once the Lakers get everybody back, of course) at worst.

The Lakers are also likely to have a pretty high draft pick in what is being called a very deep draft. So they should be able to get a very good, young player to add to the mix.

Kobe has a 2 year deal. With Lebron on a max deal, they could add a couple of solid veteran role players to go with what they've got, which combined with Lebron and Kobe, should put them back in contention. Then, after Kobe retires, they can sign another max player (Westbrook?) to pair with Lebron.

Folks need to quit talking about Kobe's contract and acting like it's some 10 year deal.

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Impossible, maybe not but it is like a .02% chance.

Kobe is 35 and will be 36 by the time LBJ could first play with the Lakers. Ignoring all of that LBJ is not going to a non contender, end of story. The Lakers will have to build a team that LBJ could come to not the other way around.

Having the money is not the issue, finding a way to spend it is. Even if they could get into the books for $90m or $100m they still have to find those players and a find a way to get them on the books with exceptions etc.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Impossible, maybe not but it is like a .02% chance.

Kobe is 35 and will be 36 by the time LBJ could first play with the Lakers. Ignoring all of that LBJ is not going to a non contender, end of story. The Lakers will have to build a team that LBJ could come to not the other way around.

Having the money is not the issue, finding a way to spend it is. Even if they could get into the books for $90m or $100m they still have to find those players and a find a way to get them on the books with exceptions etc.

Disagree. If Lebron were to come to the Lakers, it would be for the reasons that Logic pointed out and Lebron is smart enough to have the patience to reap those rewards. Kobe at 35/36 obviously won't be the player that he once was (even if he didn't have the recent injuries) but once he is fully healed, he's still likely a top 10 player in the league.

Signing Lebron would have the Lakers back in contention within a season or 2 and Lebron is smart enough to see the big picture.

While I don't think Lebron will sign with the Lakers, things are not as bleak for the Lakers as you'd like them to be. Sorry about that.

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LBJ is not going to leave MIA for a rebuild, especially when they have gotten better each year and proven that they can put a great cast around him.

And you are right, LBJ is smart enough to see the big picture, which is even more reason why he would not choose LAL.

When did I ever say that things were bleak? I actually said the opposite. I just know that LAL are not contending until Kobe is gone, end of story, get over it.

Flauge

Still a Heat fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disagree. If Lebron were to come to the Lakers, it would be for the reasons that Logic pointed out and Lebron is smart enough to have the patience to reap those rewards. Kobe at 35/36 obviously won't be the player that he once was (even if he didn't have the recent injuries) but once he is fully healed, he's still likely a top 10 player in the league.

Signing Lebron would have the Lakers back in contention within a season or 2 and Lebron is smart enough to see the big picture.

While I don't think Lebron will sign with the Lakers, things are not as bleak for the Lakers as you'd like them to be. Sorry about that.

He just isnt. He is not top 10 anymore, nor will he ever be. The achilles tear is no joke. It ends careers in this sport. He is no longer a spring chicken. This is the same injury that retired the great isiah thomas in his early 30s. Here is an article that is actually extremely well written and fair towards Kobe about this sort of injury and achilles tear injury history in the NBA.

How An Achilles Tear Affects NBA Players (Or, Why Kobe Is Screwed)

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He just isnt. He is not top 10 anymore, nor will he ever be. The achilles tear is no joke. It ends careers in this sport. He is no longer a spring chicken. This is the same injury that retired the great isiah thomas in his early 30s. Here is an article that is actually extremely well written and fair towards Kobe about this sort of injury and achilles tear injury history in the NBA.

How An Achilles Tear Affects NBA Players (Or, Why Kobe Is Screwed)

He was actually starting to look better and do more than expected before the knee injury occurred. He was even beginning to show more explosiveness as he gained confidence in it. I'm less concerned about his achille's than I am about a series of other injuries (like the current knee injury).

All reports have been that his achille's is actually pretty much back to normal. There have been all kinds of advances since guys like Isaiah, Dominique, etc. had their injuries. However, there is no getting around the mileage on his body. He's been in the league 18 years, but the total number of games makes it more like 20+ years. That's a lot of wear and tear.

If this knee injury is the beginning of a series of injuries that will define the last 2 years of his career, then I agree, he won't be top 10 again.

However, if he can stay relatively healthy, he can be a top 10 (maybe 15) level player. Bottom line, none of us know what is going to happen until he comes back.

I think we can all agree, that if it's possible, Kobe would be the likely one to do it. His drive is just ridiculous.

LogicMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do like the comparison to Magic, and you all know Showtime is one of my most favorite players. I could spew magic stuff all day. Personality wise, LBJ is still no Earvin, but he is trying, especially to bring other players into every play....thats what makes LBJ special as he continues in his prime.

It is true that there is not alot around a Kobe/LBJ team. None of those young players are under contract past this spring. As there reputation is growing, they will now command more salary. They are auditioning in effect right now for the league.

The Lakers have few 1st and second round picks, deeply depleted and thats unusual for LA. If they are to return to playoff level, they need a centerpiece draw and then have FA's come for reasonable pay.

Dont make light of the Kobe deal. It removed them from enticing a set of FA's of high talent to join as a unit (see Miami). It was a stupid deal on so many levels.

I applauded the deal for Howard when it took place....they traded away a injured center for a great one. But they did not make him the centerpiece, would not meet his demands. Then they bashed him.

The Howard deal was right, transforming around him should have been the all in. Think LBJ and others would have joined Dwight? Still having two max cap slots as well. You bet.

Thats again why LA must go all in on LBJ now.

Love? Minnesota is not letting that asset walk, unless of course short Buss is running Minnesota.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do like the comparison to Magic, and you all know Showtime is one of my most favorite players. I could spew magic stuff all day. Personality wise, LBJ is still no Earvin, but he is trying, especially to bring other players into every play....thats what makes LBJ special as he continues in his prime.

It is true that there is not alot around a Kobe/LBJ team. None of those young players are under contract past this spring. As there reputation is growing, they will now command more salary. They are auditioning in effect right now for the league.

The Lakers have few 1st and second round picks, deeply depleted and thats unusual for LA. If they are to return to playoff level, they need a centerpiece draw and then have FA's come for reasonable pay.

Dont make light of the Kobe deal. It removed them from enticing a set of FA's of high talent to join as a unit (see Miami). It was a stupid deal on so many levels.

I applauded the deal for Howard when it took place....they traded away a injured center for a great one. But they did not make him the centerpiece, would not meet his demands. Then they bashed him.

The Howard deal was right, transforming around him should have been the all in. Think LBJ and others would have joined Dwight? Still having two max cap slots as well. You bet.

Thats again why LA must go all in on LBJ now.

Love? Minnesota is not letting that asset walk, unless of course short Buss is running Minnesota.

Lebron isn't as outgoing as Magic, but as far as his overall game and his willingness to share the spotlight, very similar. If there is a superstar in the league that could have no problem "deferring" to Kobe for a couple of season's (even if just in the same way Magic did with Kareem) it's Lebron.

As for the current players on the Lakers auditioning, they are also auditioning for the Lakers and IF (huge if) the Lakers were to sign Lebron, I'm pretty sure a few would stick around (even at a little lower rate) for a chance at a ring. In fact, a couple of them actually turned down better offers to play for the Lakers this year.

The Dwight trade was a good one at the time and HAD to be done. There isn't a GM in the league that wouldn't have made that deal. However, the fact that it didn't work out is on Dwight, not the Lakers and that's why I'm glad he's gone. He is not a player that you build around to win titles. He made that abundantly clear. He's not a leader and has not improved his game. He's the same player that he was when he lost to the Lakers in the finals in Orlando.

Kobe's deal doesn't hamstring the Lakers nearly as much as you want to believe and the top FA's weren't coming as a group (like Miami) anyway because they are spread out over the next few classes. The likeliest scenario for the Lakers, imo, is getting Love after next season and probably Westbrook the following season when Kobe retires.

Minnesota does not hold the cards on Kevin Love, Kevin Love does. The only way he gets traded is if he is willing to do a sign and trade. The only way that he is likely to do that is if he is being traded to a team he wants to play for and the Lakers are said to be at the top of his list. This means that he can essentially force the T-Wolves to either trade him to a team that he wants to play for or keep him and let him walk as a free agent. Considering the way he was treated by T-Wolves management, I doubt he feels like doing them any favors.

After what happened to the Lakers with Dwight, I doubt any teams will be willing to do a trade for Kevin Love without a sign and trade.

You keep trying to paint the Lakers situation as being more bleak than it really is. You get an A for effort, but unfortunately, a D+ for execution.

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LBJ is not going to leave MIA for a rebuild, especially when they have gotten better each year and proven that they can put a great cast around him.
Between D-Wade's knees and the extremely punitive CBA with the repeater's tax, I wouldn't say Miami's days are numbered, but I will say that Miami's future is not as bright as most think. As for Lebron, if I can make a comparison, he's almost where 2008 or 2009 Kobe was.....starting to get titles, and still at the top of his game, but the gap is slowly closing, and younger players are starting to nip at his heels.

LogicMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heat have an interesting challenge for sure. Wade, like Kobe, has seen his better days. Bosh looks great, and maybe they can find another Ray Allen or get Wade to take less so as to get a third piece for another 3 year run. Lebron attracts others. We know these guys are unselfish with their salaries, so they my again gather up and work with Pat Riley on the plan ahead.

They gave away all their picks, so I cannot imagine they would pull it off by trade. One thing for sure, Pat Riley is a great GM. Guys like him have a plan

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Heat's current roster's days are numbered like you read about for all the reasons Kold said. The difference is Riley has shown he can continue to make good personnel decisions to continue to put a better team around LBJ.

Nothing the Lakers FO has done recently has shown they are currently competent.

Also just like Logic said LBJ can opt out and has shown he is willing to take less money to ensure a better surrounding cast. I would not even be kind of mildly surprised if one, some combination or all of Wade, LBJ, and Bosh restructured their contracts to be more CBA friendly.

LogicMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is fascinating when certain star players take the discount. Red Sox have a few right now, Brady certainly took a discount, LBJ and Bosh did, its rare to see that yet pretty cool as it signals to all that winning is a priority.

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is fascinating when certain star players take the discount. Red Sox have a few right now, Brady certainly took a discount, LBJ and Bosh did, its rare to see that yet pretty cool as it signals to all that winning is a priority.

This is why it blows my mind how hypocritical fans can be. The biggest complaint is that players only care about money and when they take a pay cut now they are colluding. Make up your fucking mind.

IMO Brady is impossible to hate on unless you jelly like toast on sunday brunch. Brady takes a pay cut to help the team, 5 superbowls, 3 wins, his offseason hobby is getting supermodels pregnant.

Malibu

PEACE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Noones threads should be removed including Jim Doors threads. Thats lame. He was just giving me shit. Unreal. I am a Melo fan but Melo in L.A. probally wouldnt be a good idea paired up with Kobe. Love in 2 years would be a better option and land something on a draft pick this year. This will not be a quick fix for the Lakers so the Lakers fans need to be patient. If possible trade Gasol because this season is a lost cause. Gasol is playing his best ball now and is at his highest rading value because another injury is coming soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.