• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

POLL Realistic Playoff Scenario: Who gets the #4 Spot?

Who gets the #4 spot?

• Miami 11-1

• Wisconsin 12-1

• UGA -11-2

• Ohio State 11-2

• Notre Dame 10-2

• USC 12-2

Results are only viewable after voting.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, for scenario #3, I was thinking between Ohio State and Oklahoma. Both teams have losses against unranked teams, both teams have 2 losses. 1 team has a conference title and 1 team has a win over the other. There's so many scenarios to the point where there are probably 8 playoff potential teams. Clemson, Miami, Georgia, Alabama, Auburn, Oklahoma, OSU and Wisconsin.
Oklahoma is left out. This is where the comparison to last year ends - both teams would have 2 losses, while OSU only had 1 loss last year. Thing is, had we lost to michigan last year, Oklahoma would've finished ahead of us, so I don't feel so bad about it.

963BUSC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I already said that the PAC12 is out this year. That leaves you:

ACC: Clemson/Miami
SEC: Alabama/Georgia/Auburn
Big 12: Oklahoma/TCU
B1G: Ohio State/Wisconsin

Winners to the playoffs. With the CCGs as play-ins, you lose you are out.
Funny, you would consider a 3 loss Ohio State in and consider the pac 12 champ out? I could clearly see both being left out but to include a 3 loss Ohio State in would be absurd. Even OSU homers wouldn't call for that. Especially a 3 loss OSU team that LOST BY 31 POINTS TO A FIVE+ LOSS TEAM.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny, you would consider a 3 loss Ohio State in and consider the pac 12 champ out? I could clearly see both being left out but to include a 3 loss Ohio State in would be absurd. Even OSU homers wouldn't call for that. Especially a 3 loss OSU team that LOST BY 31 POINTS TO A FIVE+ LOSS TEAM.
Haven't you heard? USC lost to two ranked teams . thats way worse than OSU losing to an unraked team.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It gets real interesting if Auburn beats Bama this weekend and Ohio State beats Wisconsin. Let's throw in Clemson over Miami. Now that 4th spot is going to be Miami, Wisconsin, and Bama with 1 loss and OSU/PAC champ with 2.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ohio State has some really really ugly losses. They got blown the fuck out TWICE.

Iowa is cratering as well....so it is blowout loss to a 6 win team.

I dont know how you could elevate them over a 1-loss MIAMI if the Hurricanes are competitive.

The Buckeyes need Clemson to lose that game not Miami. They should root for Miami if both win out.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ohio state with a victory over Wisconsin (providing they beat Michigan) or Wisconsin with a victory over ohio state (providing they beat Minnesota) ... other than that Notre Dame ... Georgia will have 3 losses in they are in the CCG.

This thread is assuming no upsets, so that would be assuming UGA beats Georgia Tech. Georgia would have 2 losses, not 3 if they lose the SECCG.

And in the scenario listed by the OP, I'm really not even sure why UGA is a choice. If they don't win out, they don't get in.

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This thread is assuming no upsets, so that would be assuming UGA beats Georgia Tech. Georgia would have 2 losses, not 3 if they lose the SECCG.

And in the scenario listed by the OP, I'm really not even sure why UGA is a choice. If they don't win out, they don't get in.

I already apologized for this

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ohio State has some really really ugly losses. They got blown the fuck out TWICE.

Iowa is cratering as well....so it is blowout loss to a 6 win team.

I dont know how you could elevate them over a 1-loss MIAMI if the Hurricanes are competitive.

The Buckeyes need Clemson to lose that game not Miami. They should root for Miami if both win out.

Outside of complete chaos, Ohio State is a dead man walking.

Ron G

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wisconsin doesn't deserve to make the playoff this year, I totally agree. Even if they're undefeated I don't think they should be considered a lock, because their schedule is so awful I can smell it from here. So with a loss they especially don't deserve it. My point is OSU didn't deserve it last year, and if you can make a realistic argument that they did deserve it then the logic used to say they should've been in last year would be the same logic to say they shouldn't this year. It has to be one way or the other. Either they deserved it last year but not this year or vice versa. You can't realistically say they deserve it both years.
I get it. Alabama playing Mercer is such a strong schedule. Even today with Alabama staying ahead of Miami means the committee put more weight on Alabama beating Mercer than Miami beating ND. As far Wisconsin is concerned, at least they contracted BYU when they were strong and had a 10 win season. Also, punishing Wisconsin for BYU's poor season would imply that Wisconsin needs to help the recruiting of it opponents 7 years down the road.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get it. Alabama playing Mercer is such a strong schedule. Even today with Alabama staying ahead of Miami means the committee put more weight on Alabama beating Mercer than Miami beating ND. As far Wisconsin is concerned, at least they contracted BYU when they were strong and had a 10 win season. Also, punishing Wisconsin for BYU's poor season would imply that Wisconsin needs to help the recruiting of it opponents 7 years down the road.

Sagarin has Bama at 63 and Wisconsin at 55. Both suck and SOS doesn't really tell you how good a team is anyway. That said, it's funny how many talk about SOS with Wisconsin

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miami has a decent resume but it's not good enough to overcome not having a league title . OSU has a much better resume last year . The B10 winner would be in.

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My version of the CFP would be a tourney of champions. Win your division, win your conference move onto the semis. If OSU loses to Michigan and has 3 losses, then a 2 loss Pac 12 team would get in. I assumed a 2 loss OSU

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And why Miami, Alabama, and especially ND? OSU would have as many ranked wins as Miami and Bama combined, and ND hasn't looked good since October.
Miami would have 1 loss.In the CCG against Clemson.They have a better resume than OSU.OSU is a two loss team and had their doors blown off by Iowa.And as we learned last year conference championships don't matter.Tbh you could say just about all these teams have a case stronger than OSU.To even consider OSU is laughable :dhd:

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did everybody notice that the only change the committee made was moving Miami
up to #2 instead of keeping them at #3.

I found that very interesting.

Kinda like a message that if Clemson/Miami is a thriller, down to the wire that Miami
loses, they may opt for Miami over even an unbeaten Whisky, let alone Ohio State.

I believe the committee wants to punish Wisconsin for not playing an OOC game vs
another P5 team. Their selecting, in the previous 3 years has improved conf scheduling,
in regard to the big boys playing each other. I don't believe they want to drift from that
position. Circumstances may force them to, but if they have a viable excuse to keep Whisky
out they will use it.

Whisky, after the big10CCG will have played 13 games and only 5 of them vs teams that
qualified for a bowl. That's pretty bad in this day and age.

USC will have played 10 bowl opponents in 13 games.

963BUSC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not a fan of that. Look at this year. Say OSU loses to michigan and beats Wisconsin. OSU is a 10-3 conference champ. Stanford beats USC, and they're a 9-4 conference champ. Then Bama loses a close game to UGA. Who gets the final playoff spot? These are not crazy possibilities, either. No chance you put Stanford or OSU in over Bama in this scenario.

I already said that the PAC12 is out this year. That leaves you:

ACC: Clemson/Miami
SEC: Alabama/Georgia/Auburn
Big 12: Oklahoma/TCU
B1G: Ohio State/Wisconsin

Winners to the playoffs. With the CCGs as play-ins, you lose you are out.

The quote you replied to was a 10-3 OSU team. Really including even a 11-2 OSU with a 31 point loss to a 5 loss Iowa - you being serious with that bro? Look an undefeated Wisconsin clearly belongs in, but a OSU Team that has been blown out twice is a joke.

Look to be fair, I disagree with your claim that USC is clearly out this year when USC has played 10 bowl eligible teams, and their two losses were both on the road vs teams currently in the top 15. One of them by a blow out, ugly blow out on a national stage. But you are including an OSU team that was blown out twice, and one of those blow outs by a team that is not close to be being ranked. I am curious how you put USC clearly out of the picture and put OSU in with a victory over an unranked Michigan and Wisconsin.

Last edited:

Mike A. S.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This ranking says nothing about Alabama specifically beating Mercer being more valuable than Miami beating Notre Dame. And when BYU contracted BYU means nothing but also if you're going there don't you think that Florida State was MUCH stronger than BYU when Alabama contracted them? Also, even at their best in recent memory BYU was still not an elite win.

Mike A. S.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This ranking says nothing about Alabama specifically beating Mercer being more valuable than Miami beating Notre Dame. And when BYU contracted BYU means nothing but also if you're going there don't you think that Florida State was MUCH stronger than BYU when Alabama contracted them? Also, even at their best in recent memory BYU was still not an elite win.
Whoops, obviously I meant when Wisconsin contracted BYU...

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miami would have 1 loss.In the CCG against Clemson.They have a better resume than OSU.OSU is a two loss team and had their doors blown off by Iowa.And as we learned last year conference championships don't matter.Tbh you could say just about all these teams have a case stronger than OSU.To even consider OSU is laughable :dhd:
Hey homo, been a while. Check out this website and tell me how many scenarios have OSU not in the playoff:

2017 College Football Predictions

BigAppleBadger

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So let's say all of the upsets are done for this year, and each team favored to win, actually does.

Therefore you would have.

Alabama - Beat Auburn, Beats UGA in the SEC Championship Game

Oklahoma - Beats WVU, and wins BIG XII CG

Clemson - Beat South Carolina and beats Miami in ACC Championship Game

But who gets the 4th spot?
Does Wisconsin lose to Ohio State or Minnesota?

If they lose to Ohio State, then OSU is an 11-2 conference champion with head to head wins over Wisconsin, Michigan, MSU and Penn State. They’re in.

If Wisconsin laid an egg in Minneapolis and then beat OSU in the B1G title game, then they’re a 12-1 conference champion with wins over Iowa, NW, Michigan and Ohio State. They’re in.

I do not see a convincing argument for a second, non-champion team from the ACC or SEC versus having a team from the B1G. The ONLY exception to that is if Alabama loses this weekend, and they have one loss (but not on the final weekend). They could get in as a second SEC team, especially if Georgia beats Auburn in the SECCG, because Alabama and Georgia haven’t played so it wouldn’t be a rematch.

As we saw with OSU last year, a team that finishes second in its division and doesn’t make the CCG still has a shot, and I think a much better one than a CCG loser.

BigAppleBadger

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How would OSU be in with 3 losses? They’re a 2-loss team.

Pretty sure a 2-loss B1G champ gets in ahead of a 2-loss PAC champ this season.