• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

POLL Realistic Playoff Scenario: Who gets the #4 Spot?

Who gets the #4 spot?

• Miami 11-1

• Wisconsin 12-1

• UGA -11-2

• Ohio State 11-2

• Notre Dame 10-2

• USC 12-2

Results are only viewable after voting.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently you can't read. I'm not acting like that. I said that if Ohio State beats Wisconsin they SHOULD get the final playoff spot. I have no clue what you think you're reading but you need to get different glasses or something.

But by putting Ohio State in the playoff over Penn State, the committee showed that conference championships really don't matter that much.
This is the part you said that I firmly disagree with and from what I can see, the only thing we disagree on. Exceptions being made doesn't mean the entire process has changed and that now conference championships don't mean anything.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just because Wisconsin doesn't deserve it doesn't mean that Ohio State does. They don't have to choose any Big Ten team.
And that's a horse of a different color. I never said they have to choose Ohio State at all. I said the argument for Wisconsin over Ohio State isn't remotely similar to the argument for Ohio State over Penn State last year. That's what I thought we were talking about.

Great Dayne

I was right even if you believe I was wrong
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
(1) I give them a 5% chance

(2) Absolutely in if they win 100%

I'll keep it at 0 since I don't think enough teams could lose. They're #5 right now as an undefeated and with one loss they would drop out of the top ten for sure unless 5 or more upsets happen.

I still don't think they're in if they win out. One loss Bama will take there spot for sure just look at how the committee adores them despite their SOS being worse than the Badgers (Sargin, and Massey rankings) and margin of victory over the top three opponents is worse than the Badgers.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any logical ranking wouldn't have OSU anywhere close to a top ten ranking after being demolished by a 5 loss Iowa team. They love them some Urban Myer. Teams that were in the CFP last season are being highly overrated and SEC teams are being propped up to make Bama appear as though they have quality wins when most people understand LSU(lost to Troy at home and blown out by Miss st barely beat Florida) and Miss st. (blown out twice and best OOC win was Umass which they struggled with) shouldn't be ranked.
So the coaches poll, AP poll, playoff committee, and basically every single other poll in the country is illogical? Got it.

It's also really funny listening to you criticize Alabama's (or any team's) schedule.

Mike A. S.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And that's a horse of a different color. I never said they have to choose Ohio State at all. I said the argument for Wisconsin over Ohio State isn't remotely similar to the argument for Ohio State over Penn State last year. That's what I thought we were talking about.
My argument is that Ohio State simply doesn't deserve to make it this year. And if they do, then they shouldn't have made it last year over Penn State. At best they deserve one or the other, not both.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My argument is that Ohio State simply doesn't deserve to make it this year. And if they do, then they shouldn't have made it last year over Penn State.
So if they win out, who should get it?

Great Dayne

I was right even if you believe I was wrong
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this point in time, Alabama, ohio state and Clemson are always going to get extra consideration ... if you beat them, they have no chance.

I actually hope Clemson and Bama get in so we can beat all three of those teams if we make it. Then we can fucking laugh at the committee and their POS rankings.

Beating them doesn't mean they have no chance. Clemson loses to Syracuse and they're still #2. SYRACUSE

OSU was blown out by a 5 loss team and still have a decent chance. I'll believe it when I see it but based on the committee's logic and rankings so far I can see them leaving us out. Oh well just keep winning and hope for the best I guess. We can't control what other teams do. I'll just enjoy the ride.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the part you said that I firmly disagree with and from what I can see, the only thing we disagree on. Exceptions being made doesn't mean the entire process has changed and that now conference championships don't mean anything.

But why was the exception made? What did Ohio State do to be chosen ahead of Penn State, the B1G champion? That's what needs to be looked at because apparently it was more important than a conference title last year and who's to say it won't be a similar issue in the future? This year, I can't see that being done because of how cut and dry the conferences are. SEC might be the only conference I could see a controversy happening.

Mike A. S.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So if they win out, who should get it?
I can't say for sure without knowing what other teams do. If Miami's only loss is to Clemson, then they should get in ahead of them. If Oklahoma loses the Big 12 title game, they should be still be in ahead of them. If Georgia wins the SEC then Alabama should still make it (as long as they beat Auburn, of course). Potentially Notre Dame if they beat Stanford (although they're not a "for sure"), etc.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Potentially Notre Dame if they beat Stanford (although they're not a "for sure"), etc.

That's where I disagree. Notre Dame lost to Georgia AND Miami. Two good teams but to your argument, Miami and Georgia should be put ahead of Notre Dame when deciding the playoff 4. I agree with OU and Miami being ahead of OSU as well.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But why was the exception made? What did Ohio State do to be chosen ahead of Penn State, the B1G champion? That's what needs to be looked at because apparently it was more important than a conference title last year and who's to say it won't be a similar issue in the future? This year, I can't see that being done because of how cut and dry the conferences are. SEC might be the only conference I could see a controversy happening.
Man, I have explained the hell out of this already. The committee thought OSU's resume was better than Penn State's last year, and there were clear reasons why. If they somehow think Wisconsin's resume is better than Ohio State's this year, so be it. However, I've laid it out about as clear as it can possibly be.

Mike A. S.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's where I disagree. Notre Dame lost to Georgia AND Miami. Two good teams but to your argument, Miami and Georgia should be put ahead of Notre Dame when deciding the playoff 4. I agree with OU and Miami being ahead of OSU as well.
I agree that Georgia and Miami should be in ahead of them, I was just thinking of potential non-conference champs that could potentially be ahead of Ohio State still.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just imagine the mess the SEC would be in if Bama loses to Auburn and Georgia beats Auburn. That causes a whole bunch of issues for the playoff committee, I think. Like, how do you decide who makes it and how do you decide if a 2nd SEC team makes it if OU loses the Big 12 title?

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, I have explained the hell out of this already. The committee thought OSU's resume was better than Penn State's last year, and there were clear reasons why. If they somehow think Wisconsin's resume is better than Ohio State's this year, so be it. However, I've laid it out about as clear as it can possibly be.

I think things will clear up in the next couple of weeks ... we are over thinking the process.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't say for sure without knowing what other teams do. If Miami's only loss is to Clemson, then they should get in ahead of them. If Oklahoma loses the Big 12 title game, they should be still be in ahead of them. If Georgia wins the SEC then Alabama should still make it (as long as they beat Auburn, of course). Potentially Notre Dame if they beat Stanford (although they're not a "for sure"), etc.
And why Miami, Alabama, and especially ND? OSU would have as many ranked wins as Miami and Bama combined, and ND hasn't looked good since October.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think things will clear up in the next couple of weeks ... we are over thinking the process.
As far as this year goes, I really don't care. If OSU loses they're clearly out, and even if they win out and don't make it, I won't be upset. Who do you think it'll be?

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Okay, but the question is why is quality wins more important than a conference championship, especially when that one of the quality wins for the conference champion is a win against that team? You can't be that bias and say that the argument for Penn State to be in the playoff last year doesn't make sense.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And why Miami, Alabama, and especially ND? OSU would have as many ranked wins as Miami and Bama combined, and ND hasn't looked good since October.

Simple, because Miami and Bama don't have a loss against an unranked team and they'd only have 1 loss and that loss would be against another playoff team or at least a playoff contending team.

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as this year goes, I really don't care. If OSU loses they're clearly out, and even if they win out and don't make it, I won't be upset. Who do you think it'll be?

Right now ohio state is a clear unadulterated target for an implosion on Saturday at the hands of the Wolverines. However, I can see a good case of they win out.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, but the question is why is quality wins more important than a conference championship, especially when that one of the quality wins for the conference champion is a win against that team? You can't be that bias and say that the argument for Penn State to be in the playoff last year doesn't make sense.
I've never said it doesn't make sense. In fact I've said in numerous threads on here over the last year that it was extremely tight and there were strong arguments on both sides.

The question isn't just quality wins, it's the entire package. The positives for Penn State simply didn't outweigh the negatives. They beat Ohio State, but anyone who watched that game knows it was lopsided as hell and PSU won on an extremely flukey play. They won the conference title, which is just a name. What they accomplished was getting to play a 13th game only because michigan was upset by Iowa. They beat Wisconsin on a neutral field while OSU beat them on the road. OSU rated higher offensively and much higher defensively than PSU, so they went with OSU. Simple as that.