• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Prospects to Watch

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They do have quite the group of young pitchers, don't they? :thumb:

I don't play fantasy baseball with minor leaguers, but this would definitely be my biggest concern with Wacha. It would probably scare me off of him compared to most guys.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't play fantasy baseball with minor leaguers, but this would definitely be my biggest concern with Wacha. It would probably scare me off of him compared to most guys.

I think the Cardinals feel Wacha is a very big piece of filling in the holes of their SPing at least next year.

Philabuster5

Visionary (aka dreamer)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Buck, Reddick, Rondon, Biddle, Garcia, Santana, Villanueva are the only guys I could see myself giving up for him and even the 3 SP kinda are not a good offer imo.

Biddle has some serious helium right now, so you may get lucky there if the guy's a fan. I'd swap him for Wacha Garcia is a decent offer, but again, depending on where you are at as far as contending. I don't mind giving up a major league arm for a prospect, unless you need it. If you're contending then you probably do.
Really a lot comes down to your format too....ie how many keepers, when minors are brought up, etc. But from the guys you listed, Biddle and Garcia are the only ones I see as not horrible offers. Wacha would likely be the best of the group, but there are always great pitching prospects out there so don't go too crazy :) (bats are tougher)

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Biddle has some serious helium right now, so you may get lucky there if the guy's a fan. I'd swap him for Wacha Garcia is a decent offer, but again, depending on where you are at as far as contending. I don't mind giving up a major league arm for a prospect, unless you need it. If you're contending then you probably do.
Really a lot comes down to your format too....ie how many keepers, when minors are brought up, etc. But from the guys you listed, Biddle and Garcia are the only ones I see as not horrible offers. Wacha would likely be the best of the group, but there are always great pitching prospects out there so don't go too crazy :) (bats are tougher)

Its a dynasty league. we keep 24 players out of 28. These prospects take up bench spots not minor league spots. So if I were to trade a mlb arm for a minor league arm I would have 4 players taking up bench spots. not wat i really want to do. I may try Biddle for him. I am really high on Biddle but of course I like Wacha much better.

Philabuster5

Visionary (aka dreamer)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you in contention?
And approx how many minors are on rosters throughout league?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you in contention?
And approx how many minors are on rosters throughout league?

Yes I have a very good team and I am only trying to get pitching prospects because they are the hardest to come by in this league.

Some guys have up to 4 some guys have only 2. Also I feel I can probably drop Rondon or Biddle. I did not drop Rondon or Biddle for guys like Hernandez, Bell or Tazawa when I should have because I only have 3 closers and could use as many as I can get.

The current offer on the table is my second round pick for Wacha. I would likely still have to drop someone to make an open spot for Wacha.

Philabuster5

Visionary (aka dreamer)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With so little minors rostered (I'm guessing around 40) I don't think you need to pay to get one. I imagine, if you're able, you can find someone as talented on the WW.
I also think you could probably get someone as good with that draft pick.
I'd just hate to see you give up that pick when there's equal talent available for free.
Sometimes it's not who you get, but who you didn't.
Jmho... if you're a big Wacha fan, no one is going to fault you. Just explore the WW if league allows minors' adds. I'm certain with that few gone, you'd find a top 25 guy in there somewhere.
Good luck

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Cardinals feel Wacha is a very big piece of filling in the holes of their SPing at least next year.

I agree, but I'm just thinking he is going to have more of a competition for that spot, especially depending on who we resign, than a lot of other guys in the minors.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, I'm sure nobody else cares but Seth Maness now is:

(2-0) 3.1 IP, 1 hit, 0 ER.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been reading a few minor league blogs. I really wish Billy Hamilton would get called up, so everyone stops asking that question. In how many different ways can the blogger say "I don't know" ? :noidea:

Philabuster5

Visionary (aka dreamer)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hitting less than .200 and hasn't drawn a BB from the right side. (I can't type bb without my phone thinking "BlackBerry". I'm surprised music doesn't start playing)
I love hamilton....he can be a game changer. I'm glad he's struggling though...if he can make adjustments and start hitting like last year, I'll be even more confident of his future success.
Side note: I don't have a clue why he's struggling. I just know his contact rate has plummeted.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I like Maness more than Martinez, just me I guess. Martinez is the last pitcher I am excited about of their prospects.

Hitting less than .200 and hasn't drawn a BB from the right side. (I can't type bb without my phone thinking "BlackBerry". I'm surprised music doesn't start playing)
I love hamilton....he can be a game changer. I'm glad he's struggling though...if he can make adjustments and start hitting like last year, I'll be even more confident of his future success.
Side note: I don't have a clue why he's struggling. I just know his contact rate has plummeted.

GOGOGO DeShields!

Philabuster5

Visionary (aka dreamer)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Originally Posted by uncfan103

I don't think he'll ever be fantasy-relevant. He may have impeccable control, but without the ability to miss bats, I can't see him ever being more than a #5. No above average offerings may work in the minors, but it's pretty unlikely it works in the big leagues. As a reliever who Ks nobody, he has zero value.
3.1 ip IN RELIEF is the smallest of all sample sizes. He'll be valuable to Matheny who can put him in situations to succeed, but he has NOWHERE NEAR the arm that C.Martinez has. Not even in the same ballpark ;)

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think he'll ever be fantasy-relevant. He may have impeccable control, but without the ability to miss bats, I can't see him ever being more than a #5. No above average offerings may work in the minors, but it's pretty unlikely it works in the big leagues. As a reliever who Ks nobody, he has zero value.
3.1 ip IN RELIEF is the smallest of all sample sizes. He'll be valuable to Matheny who can put him in situations to succeed, but he has NOWHERE NEAR the arm that C.Martinez has. Not even in the same ballpark ;)

I know where you're coming from and I get what your saying about not being fantasy relevant. I agree he's not going to be relevant because he doesn't pitch enough, I just wanted to post this somewhere haha.

As far as everything else you said, he's been told that his whole life but he has continued to be successful.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's everyone's thoughts on Tim Federowicz? AJ Ellis continues to do his thing, doesn't help them much, doesn't hurt them much. Is this just a back up thing?

Philabuster5

Visionary (aka dreamer)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's got some potential for sure. I think he's more a defensive guy with some gap power.
If he's a true catching prospect defensively, calling games, etc he'll have value. His AAA numbers was insane, but nobody bats .530 and strikes out 22% of the time. I think the Dodgers, as with D.Gordon, desperately are looking for a spark.
I hope it helps his development. Catchers

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's everyone's thoughts on Tim Federowicz? AJ Ellis continues to do his thing, doesn't help them much, doesn't hurt them much. Is this just a back up thing?

Wow, I didn't realize he had been called up. I saw him play in Myrtle Beach for the Salem Red Sox (Single A) and remember when he was at Carolina. Stolmy Pimentel was extremely impressive in that game, he came out after six perfect innings, as a 20 year old.

I just looked him out out of curiosity to see how he has been doing.

This year at AA Altoona (Pittsburgh's affiliate): 36.1 IP, 3 ER, 32 Ks, and an opponents batting average of .188. Era of .71

What does the Pirates farm system look like, any chance of him getting a promotion to AAA anytime soon?

Reverend Jim

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,275.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, I didn't realize he had been called up. I saw him play in Myrtle Beach for the Salem Red Sox (Single A) and remember when he was at Carolina. Stolmy Pimentel was extremely impressive in that game, he came out after six perfect innings, as a 20 year old.
I just looked him out out of curiosity to see how he has been doing.
This year at AA Altoona (Pittsburgh's affiliate): 36.1 IP, 3 ER, 32 Ks, and an opponents batting average of .188. Era of .71
What does the Pirates farm system look like, any chance of him getting a promotion to AAA anytime soon?

Based upon his number the previous 5 years, I wouldn't go getting all gushy over him just yet. Granted he's been impressive so far but it's only been 6 games, and it's gonna take more than 6 games for me to overlook how mediocre he's done until this year.
Stolmy Pimentel Baseball Statistics (2008-2013)

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More prospect stuff to share, this time from Lawr Michaels of Mastersball.com

Let's start this time with a prospect I really like. 19-year old Francisco Lindor was drafted by the Indians in the first round (ninth overall) of the 2011 draft.
The shortstop made a brief appearance at the New York/Penn League after signing (.316-0-2 over 20 games) but really established his presence last year at Lake County and the Class-A Midwest League with a .257-6-42 line that included 27 stolen bases and an excellent 61 walks to 78 strikeouts (.352 OBP).
Lindor — ranked No. 19 on the Mastersball Top 250 Prospect List — moved to High Class-A Carolina in the Carolina League for 2013 and he is mashing the ball, hitting .366-1-12 with seven doubles, four triples, and seven swipes.
Furthermore, Lindor has kept his good eye 11 with walks to 13 strikeouts, good for a .427 OBP and a .954 OPS. Cleveland has some great young infielders, and while Asdrubal Cabrera is ensconced at short for now, he is signed through 2015, right about the time Lindor should be establishing himself somewhere up the Progressive Field middle.

Jabari Henry, was selected by the Mariners in the 18th round of last year's draft. After signing, he hit .272-8-42 over 61 games, split between Rookie Ball and Low Class-A, moving up to Clinton and the Midwest League for 2013.
There the outfielder has excelled the first month of the season, hitting .370-4-18 with seven doubles and 19 runs over 24 games. Henry has also shown a fantastic eye, walking 18 times to just 10 punch-outs, good for a .480 OBP and off-the-charts 1.085 OPS.
Seattle is starting to really show a fine collection of young ball players, and we can add the 22-year old Henry to the list with a chance of major league time by the end of next season, challenging for serious roster time by 2015.
---
Yankees property, outfielder Zolio Almonte, was signed as a free agent in 2005 by the Pinstripes as a 16-year old. Now just 24, Almonte has eight years logged as a pro.
Almonte pushed through the minors, finally reaching Class-AA Trenton for 46 games in 2011 (.251-3-23) but last year he really stepped it up with a .277-21-73 season that included 15 steals and a career best .808 OPS
Almonte has had a strong start at Class-AAA Scranton/Wilkes-Barre going .294-3-17 over his first 24 games, logging a fine 18 walks to 21 strikeouts, good for a .397 OBP and .848 OPS.
While the Yankees do have a full complement of outfielders, Curtis Granderson, Ichiro Suzuki and Vernon Wells are all looking at the back end of their careers. That means Almonte's continued success could mean time in the Bronx, perhaps by the end of this season.