• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Prospects to Watch

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I meant no criticism to you!!
But welcome to a whole new world of fantasy baseball enjoyment. And thanks for bringing us along for the ride :)
If you want to send a list of your minors, I'm sure some here can give you some input. 180 rostered minors is a great number, but maybe there's some high end guys out there worth gambling on. It'll be hard for us to start listing guys... ie, is DePaulo gone? Etc. But maybe we can share some good resources and recommend guys to drop :)
Anyway, that's how we roll :)

Ok any help is definitely a plus I just used BAs top 100 as a reference but heres my 15
E rosario 2b Min
B hamilton of reds
O Arcia of min
J bradley of red sox
J Solar of cubs
C Seager ss LAD
M Burgos P MLK
D Corcina P Reds
C Martinez P Cards
B Mauer P sea
R Osuna P Tor
N Syndergaard P NYM
N Tepesch P Tex
M Wacha P Cards
A Webster P red sox

Now the batters can have less than 130 ABs and P 50 IPs before they have to be promoted or left in the minors all year

Now u can move them in and out of minors till then but once they reach the ABs/IP u have to decide want u want to do keep in the minors ( all minors are keepers at years end ) or promote them

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More prospect info.

The Cardinals announced that they have optioned Mitchell Boggs to Triple-A Memphis and called up top prospect Carlos Martinez from Double-A Springfield to take his place.
Martinez, 21, was a consensus Top 40 prospect among Baseball America (No. 38), MLB.com's Jonathan Mayo (No. 33) and ESPN's Keith Law (No. 39). The Dominican native has totaled just 83 innings at Double-A and has a 2.82 ERA, 7.3 K/9 and 2.5 BB/9 in 17 starts. In total, he has 277 strikeouts in 259 2/3 minor league innings.
Baseball America, Law and Mayo all praise Martinez's fastball, which sits at 94-98 mph and can be dialed up to 100 when he needs it. Martinez's curveball draws more praise than his changeup, though BA notes that the changeup could develop into a third plus pitch for him. Mayo adds that it's a circle change with nice fade, and he doesn't feel it's that far behind Martinez's sharp 12-to-6 curveball.
Martinez is listed at 6'0" and 185 pounds. In addition to eliciting comparisons to Pedro Martinez (no pressure, Carlos), his size has led many to question whether or not he will be durable enough to handle a starter's workload. Martinez already missed a month with shoulder tendinitis last season but was able to bounce back. In his write-up, Law noted: "If the shoulder issue recurs, he may end up a shutdown reliever with two pitches near the top of the 20-80 scale." Upon learning of Martinez's promotion, Baseball America's J.J. Cooper wondered whether or not Martinez would ever start again, given the Cardinals' bounty of talented starters (Twitter link).
The Cardinals have kept Martinez in the minor leagues long enough to delay his free agency by a season, but his call-up falls well short of the June barrier that would prevent him from becoming a Super Two player. If he sticks on the roster from this point forward, Martinez will pick up 150 days of Major League service time and be under team control through the 2019 season.

Last edited by a moderator:

Philabuster5

Visionary (aka dreamer)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
E rosario 2b Min
B hamilton of reds
O Arcia of min
J bradley of red sox
J Solar of cubs
C Seager ss LAD
M Burgos P MLK
D Corcina P Reds
C Martinez P Cards
B Mauer P sea
R Osuna P Tor
N Syndergaard P NYM
N Tepesch P Tex
M Wacha P Cards
A Webster P red sox

You've got some good talent.
Possible future studs: Hamilton (at least fantasy-value wise)
Soler (gotta dream on those skills)
C.Martinez (yep, we need a Martinez Day!)
Webster (I like him to be a possible 2)
Too early to tell but DAMN!! : E.Rosario (a super 2B prospect)
Syndergaard, Osuna, Wacha, Corcino ... (all too young for me to get terribly excited about...lots of pitching prospects...time will tell but they at least have the high-end arsenals to be worth paying attention to)
In the show with skills: O.Arcia.. Heck, I own him in the MBBRL (non-keeper) I like him for 20-25 hrs .275 type of guy. Not a star, but should turn into a good everyday producer.
Too good to let go of: Bradley, Seager (I don't mind trading these guys if you can get value)

So there's at least 13 guys I'd be happy to own in a league your size.

Burjos and Tepesch I look to move (but not drop) They may have some added value in your league depending on dynamics. Neither are owned in mine, but we can draft highschool kids so a lot of spots are taken on high upside, distant prospects.

As far as BA, it's a good place to start. But lists are close to useless for the most part. For example, BA did not rate Adalberto Mondesi. I guarantee he's a consensus top 30 guy next year. (I'd rate higher)
You want to diversify: Read minorleagueball.com every day for their minors' report. There are some good posters on there.
Baseball prospectus is outstanding but $$. I find by simply following all their writers on twitter, I can get the same info at no cost.
Same with Keith Law. I also really like bullpenbanter.com they have a lot of videos which are really useful.
Fangraphs of course is outstanding. First Inning.com is a useful site in that you can create your own page of minor leaguers to watch and pull them up daily all on one page.
Matt Garrioch, before he joined up with Sickels had mlbprospectguide.com He's got some pretty cutting edge stuff there, he formulizes outcomes based on minors numbers. He also has lists of youngest players per class level, etc
I'm sure I'm forgetting a bunch. Baseballinstinct.com is another pretty good one. Projectprospect used to be one of my favourites but they've pretty much disappeared. I still like to follow Steve Carter on Twitter though. He has great insight.

It's a lot of homework no doubt. But the guys that are great with the major league reporting are generally no so great with the minors.
If you do get enamored with this stuff, start watching videos. They are everywhere. You'll be able to pick out the guys with great swings.

Another thing to note is There Is No Such Thing As A Pitching Prospect. (TINSTAAPP)
Not everyone has this belief. I do. I'll follow a young high upside guy, but I'll flip him for a bat 9 times out of 10.
Also, the best athletes generally start at SS, CF. They'll move eventually as they out-grow it or based on team need. Don't go searching for the next great 1B prospect because you likely won't find one. Hopefully the 2 3B prospects you have give you a 1B if you need one down the line.

I'm just writing this on the fly, so I hope there's at least a few things helpful.
If it's your first year in your league, really feel the guys out and watch trades to get a feel for how minors are valued. You don't want to be taken for a ride and have someone offer you Mujica for B.Hamilton (might sound good in theory, but it might be something where you could get more as an example)

Anyway, I'll STFU now. It's Friday and it's 28 outside so my business is through the roof today.
One more....fantasyrundown.com go to minors section, gives lists of daily articles from various sources. Kind of a one-stop shopping tool.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's Friday and it's 28 outside so my business is through the roof today.

It's at least 80 for me right now at 4:35 pacific, and not a cloud in the sky. One of the good things about California. It has a climate that humnas were actually designed to live within comfortably 24/7/365.

Philabuster5

Visionary (aka dreamer)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh dynastyguru.com Really great stuff there as well

Philabuster5

Visionary (aka dreamer)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's at least 80 for me right now at 4:35 pacific, and not a cloud in the sky. One of the good things about California. It has a climate that humnas were actually designed to live within comfortably 24/7/365.

Ha! We're 82 in southwestern Ontario at 735p, EST. We haven't seen this in a long time. I run a beer/liquor delivery company :) Everybody in this city is outside, barbecuing and having a few beers

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ha! We're 82 in southwestern Ontario at 735p, EST. We haven't seen this in a long time. I run a beer/liquor delivery company :) Everybody in this city is outside, barbecuing and having a few beers

If you look back, you will see that you transposed your number, and said it was 28, not 82.

Way to take all the fun out of my knock/joke/whatever.........

I was just working with the image I got from my mom today in my mind. She lives in the Kansas Coty area, and had 2 feet of snow in the last 24 hours.

Philabuster5

Visionary (aka dreamer)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually I just thought SHIT, I should've listed in Fahrenheit haha

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Called that one, calsnowskier! Now, does Peguero start against LHP over Torres? What about RHP and Blanco? Is this a long term thing, cup of coffee, or a crap shoot with Bochy?

molsaniceman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Burjos and Tepesch I look to move (but not drop) They may have some added value in your league depending on dynamics

1st thx for all the info Right now these two are valuable cause i move them in and out of minors

league is very pitcher friendly scoring wise but limited to 7 add/drops per week so no streaming use 5 p per day which can be SP or RP

molsaniceman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i found Francisco Peguero and Garrin Cechini on the waiver wire and tyler Goeddal is not in cbs system

should i drop any of these Syndergaard, Osuna, Wacha, Corcino for either player
Are those 4 not playing in mlb for awhile Peguero just got promoted

Philabuster5

Visionary (aka dreamer)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't drop any of them for peguera. He doesn't have the upside potential. Maybe try to trade them, but someone should highly value them. They're very good minors in a dynasty league. You could probably flip 2 of them for a minors bat. Put an OTB up. But please don't drop :)

molsaniceman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't drop any of them for peguera. He doesn't have the upside potential. Maybe try to trade them, but someone should highly value them. They're very good minors in a dynasty league. You could probably flip 2 of them for a minors bat. Put an OTB up. But please don't drop :)

ok thx ill give it a try

Reverend Jim

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,275.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any words of wisdom on recently called up Jimmy Paredes?

Philabuster5

Visionary (aka dreamer)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know too much about him, which really only means he's not in my top 200. I'm no encyclopedia ;)
I know he's fast. I thought he had major plate discipline issues, but I just looked and his line is fantastic so far in 2013. Never really a top 15 3B I would say. Sorry, I really don't know much. He's also 24, so I stop looking at guys by then haha. I wouldn't waste a waiver wire pick, but in NL leagues or 16 team leagues with CI, maybe worth a gamble for steals.
Some guys will surprise (esp arms), but normally there's a growth line that good hitters go through. I don't see it with him. Speed they say never slumps, so he's got that going for him.
Weird how a guy can go from 4 or 5-1 K/bb throughout minors and then be nearly 1-1 this year. Insane BABIP inflating numbers. Sounds like the sun is rising and setting on him right now...so maybe lightning in a bottle for short term??

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Update on Cardinals call ups:

Seth Maness (1-0) - 1.2 IP 0 hits 8 pitches all strikes.
Carlos Martinez (0-0) - 2 IP 1 hit, 1 K

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, what's up with this kid Ozuna? He just keepin' a seat warm for Yelich? 'Cuz you just know Stanton's on another team by the All Star break.

Philabuster5

Visionary (aka dreamer)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks uncfan....I need to look at Maness as I've largely ignored him.
Martinez though I know is a stud!! I sure hope this doesn't end his chances at a rotation spot down the road. It really is awesome how St Louis can churn out pitchers on a dime it seems. It really is something to consider when evaluating prospects.

Would be a neat idea to look at team biases that some have...
As an example, I refused to look at St Louis relievers when Larussa was there. Just seemed like no rhyme or reason for what he did.
But there's no disputing what they accomplish with their scouts, player development.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know too much about him, which really only means he's not in my top 200. I'm no encyclopedia ;)
I know he's fast. I thought he had major plate discipline issues, but I just looked and his line is fantastic so far in 2013. Never really a top 15 3B I would say. Sorry, I really don't know much. He's also 24, so I stop looking at guys by then haha. I wouldn't waste a waiver wire pick, but in NL leagues or 16 team leagues with CI, maybe worth a gamble for steals.
Some guys will surprise (esp arms), but normally there's a growth line that good hitters go through. I don't see it with him. Speed they say never slumps, so he's got that going for him.
Weird how a guy can go from 4 or 5-1 K/bb throughout minors and then be nearly 1-1 this year. Insane BABIP inflating numbers. Sounds like the sun is rising and setting on him right now...so maybe lightning in a bottle for short term??

When do you start keeping up with guys, like at what level?

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks uncfan....I need to look at Maness as I've largely ignored him.
Martinez though I know is a stud!! I sure hope this doesn't end his chances at a rotation spot down the road. It really is awesome how St Louis can churn out pitchers on a dime it seems. It really is something to consider when evaluating prospects.

Would be a neat idea to look at team biases that some have...
As an example, I refused to look at St Louis relievers when Larussa was there. Just seemed like no rhyme or reason for what he did.
But there's no disputing what they accomplish with their scouts, player development.

I've only kept up with Maness as much as I have because we're from the same town. He doesn't do much to stand out, but as just been successful enough every where he goes to keep progressing. I think that would be interesting to look at too, I wonder if some weaker teams would benefit by leaving their younger guys down a bit longer to better progress even though they're the best option at the major league level.