• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Prospects to Watch

Philabuster5

Visionary (aka dreamer)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to use this thread to talk about prospects worth watching in your leagues with deep minors systems. I'm hoping players here will be relevant for those leagues with 100-150 minors spots. If you're in a 20 team league with 20 minors spots each, I apologize if these guys are taken already. Resume your eye roll now, but let me know and I can dig deeper :)
Feel free to contribute names, comments. I just thought this might be a fun topic to keep up throughout the season.
Today I'll look at Cubs AA SS Arismendy Alcantara

Rankings:
MLB: Cubs #20 prospect
BB (Bullpen Banter): N/R
BP (Baseball Prospectus): N/R
Sickels: NR
BA: N/R

BIO: 21 year old SS from DR. Small frame 5'10" 160lb, Bats S.
Signed as an undrafted FA in 2008. Appeared in 2012 FSL AllStar game

2012 A+ 302/339/447 25sb
2013 AA 276/356/447 10sb (19 games)

From all accounts I've seen, he appears to be at least solid at short and projects to stay there in the future. Of course that Cubs infield is going to get pretty full with prospects Baez, Torreyes, Candelario (whom I really like too) But Chicago needs a 2B and a 3B to go with Castro, so there is some openings.
Alcantara projects to have little power, but he's hit 4 home-runs this year in AA. He's more of a sprayer with excellent speed. Here is a video thanks to Baseball Instinct (where Alcantara doesn't rank in the top 360! ouch)

http://baseballinstinct.com/external-videos/arismendy-alcantara-ss-chicago-cubs/

I'm watching Alcantara closely this season (almost game by game) I'm not sure he warrants a roster spot yet in 14 team, 12 minors spots leagues, ie top 150, but if he keeps hitting well at such a premium position, I'll be ready to make the plunge. In one league I grabbed him already, replacing Gabriel Guerrero. Middle infielders are at a premium there.

Best case outcome: A starting position in the majors. 285/340/400 with speed. That could be a all-star player at his position. It almost looks, if I squint real hard, like Jose Reyes.

There are a ton of great SS prospects out there, and without making my personal list, I'd put him probably at about #15, with upside to crack the top 7 or 8. I wouldn't go trading for Nick Franklin as an example, when I could grab Alcantara. I like his upside better.
I can't possibly talk about a minors shortstop without mentioning my favourite SS prospect in the game : Adalberto Mondesi. He's too far up the food chain for this thread, but if you haven't spent hours watching him online, then go do so. You won't regret it.

Cheers

Philabuster5

Visionary (aka dreamer)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
8h Yes. “
Not exactly a glowing endorsement from Keith Law, but cool how he was asked this question 12 hours after my recommendation.

Last edited by a moderator:

Philabuster5

Visionary (aka dreamer)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not often I'll be able to do a second player in a week, but damn, I can't let this thread disappear to the bottom of our message list :) I can understand the lack of enthusiasm for all things Cubs (ahem Pie), but I'd wager that there really is some (even elite) talent coming down the line. With recent trades for Baez and Soler in one of my dynasty leagues, I'll be driving their prospect bandwagon in 2014.
But, I digress...

Today's prospect is a 3B from Tampa organization, Tyler Goeddel.

Rankings:

BA: N/R
BP: N/R
Sickels: N/R
KL: N/R
BB: N/R

I found one ranking for Goeddel: #281 from Baseball Instinct, and I can't see him being owned in leagues with less than 200 prospects, but he should be on the radar.

BIO: 20 yr old 3B, drafted in the first round (41) of 2011 by the Rays.
6'4" 185 lb, bats R. 2012 All-star Midwest League

2012: .246/.335/.371 30sb
2013: .279/.364/.412 7sb (17 games)

The Rays took Goeddel as one of their 10 first round and sup round picks in 2011. (he was grabbed immediately after Jackie Bradley Jr) He has above average hitting tools and great speed. Power is the question with Goeddel, but he has a projectable frame and I can see this side developing. Interestingly enough, Goeddel has gotten some starts at SS this month where his bat may profile better.

Very little recent video available, but here`s one youtube link:

Tyler Goeddel Hitting 2 - YouTube

I like guys with great contact rates; this is my bias for sure when it comes to minor leaguers. Goeddel is a long long way away, but scouts love him even if the numbers haven`t shown up yet. Apparently he has made some adjustments from that video, closing up his stance a little. Whatever it is, he is riding an 11 game hitting streak and starting to show some of the ability becoming of a first round pick.

I`ve added Goeddel to my firstinning.com watch list, but haven`t grabbed him in either of my two deepest minors`systems (156-182 minors)

Goeddel won`t be playing 3B for the Rays any time soon. Or ever. He`s likely 3-4 years away from the big leagues, and if I had to guess it would be as an OF. (just a guess)
If he can hit .290 with his demonstrated ability to take a walk and steal bases, there could be some sneaky value there still. If he somehow manages to stick at SS, he could be a great option.
If anyone has seen any recent video of him, I`d be forever grateful.
Cheers

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a very nicely done thread. I don't play in any leagues where I need to pay attention to players this far away from the bigs, but it is always good to get to know the next next wave of prospects, especially those who are under the radar. Nice work.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I totally agree with Tiance. This is a thread for me to take note of, but I can't reply because...well, I know next to NOTHING...even more so than usual, which is kinda scary. :lol:

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really enjoy these forums. I found them by searching through some prospect info on google. If there is any other fantasy prospect sites that would help me out when making decisions feel free to PM me and give me links. Philabuster I enjoy reading about analysis of these prospects and look forward to seeing more. Now off to roam the forums for more info!

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seth Maness was called up to the Cardinals today. I don't play fantasy baseball with spots for minor leaguers but he is definitely worth looking at if you can still use him as a "minor leaguer".

Interesting stat: Has pitched 195 innings in the minors and has 18 walks and 173 Ks.
His ERA hasn't been great in AAA though - 4.32 in 4 games.

He was Cardinals minor league pitcher of the year last year too.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seth Maness was called up to the Cardinals today. I don't play fantasy baseball with spots for minor leaguers but he is definitely worth looking at if you can still use him as a "minor leaguer".

Interesting stat: Has pitched 195 innings in the minors and has 18 walks and 173 Ks.
His ERA hasn't been great in AAA though - 4.32 in 4 games.

He was Cardinals minor league pitcher of the year last year too.

Hm. I dont see anywhere about this move and to my knowledge he is not even on the 40 man roster.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hm. I dont see anywhere about this move and to my knowledge he is not even on the 40 man roster.

He called home and informed his family this afternoon. A lot of his teammates from college have congratulated him as well via twitter. It could all be a big joke though. I've been looking for an article to read more information about the call up as well

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He called home and informed his family this afternoon. A lot of his teammates from college have congratulated him as well via twitter. It could all be a big joke though. I've been looking for an article to read more information about the call up as well

Hm. Well given all the issues within their bullpen this move would not surprise me but I was thinking Wacha or Martinez would get the call up before him.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Philabuster, give us the skinny on the guy with the coolest name in baseball: Rock Shoulders!

I can't help it...every time I hear that name I think of "Boogie Nights". :lol:

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hm. Well given all the issues within their bullpen this move would not surprise me but I was thinking Wacha or Martinez would get the call up before him.

ST. LOUIS -- The Cardinals' problematic bullpen got a fresh face on Monday, as right-hander Seth Maness was in uniform (No. 61) for the start of the club's series against the Reds.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here are some more prospect reports. This one involving the the players the Jays gave up in their offseason mega deal/deals.

The organization orchestrated two key trades during the 2012-13 offseason, which brought a number of high-profile veterans north of the border, including R.A. Dickey, Jose Reyes, Josh Johnson, Mark Buehrle and Emilio Bonifacio. A month into the season, those five players have accumulated a combined 0.3 fWAR (Wins Above Replacement).
With arguably a top five minor league system prior to the deals, Toronto mortgaged a good deal of its future for a chance to win now. While the veterans are struggling, the majority of the prospects -- no longer under the Jays' control -- are thriving in their new digs.
Catcher Travis d'Arnaud reportedly came close to winning a big league roster spot out of spring training with the Mets. He was assigned to Triple-A where six of his nine hits went for extra bases. He also added 12 walks before going down with a broken foot. He'll miss about eight weeks, but veteran catcher John Buck is holding down the fort in the Majors. D'Arnaud was added to the 40-man roster in November 2011 and is currently in his second of three option years, so he'll have to establish himself in the Majors by the end of the 2014 season to avoid being sent through waivers to be demoted to the minors.
One of three top young arms in Toronto's system prior to being dealt to the Mets, Noah Syndergaard has a 3.24 ERA in five High-A ball starts. He's been even better than it appears, though, as he allowed seven of his nine earned runs on the year in just one start. Jonathan Raymond of MiLB.com recently spoke to the prospect's A-ball pitching coach to learn more about his approach. The Texas native is eligible for the Rule 5 draft in 2014 so he'll have to be added to the 40-man roster after next season to avoid being snatched away from the Mets.
Outfielder Wuilmer Becerra suffered a scary injury last year in rookie ball when he was hit in the face during an at-bat, ending his season after just 11 games. The 18-year-old was originally signed out of Venezuela for $1.3MM and was considered one of the top Latin amateur free agents in 2011. He's currently playing in extended spring training and should be assigned to a short-season club in June.
Adeiny Hechavarria was signed out of Cuba by the Jays and has taken over the starting shortstop gig in Miami, although he's currently on the disabled list. His offense hasn't kicked in yet but he's playing steady ball in the field and is known for being a plus defender capable of providing a ton of value with his glove alone. Hechavarria's traditional three option years expired at the end of 2012 but he was granted a rare fourth option year for the 2013 season, so he can be sent down to the minors this year -- if need be -- without being exposed to waivers.
Like Syndergaard, Justin Nicolino was a member of Toronto's top pitching trio. The Florida native has enjoyed his time in the Miami Marlins organization despite an inconsistent year to date and has a 3.60 ERA in five starts in the High-A Florida State League. Nicolino's adjustment to his hometown organization was recently outlined by Guy Curtright at MiLB.com. He doesn't have to be added to the 40-man roster until after the 2014 season.
An injury to outfielder Jake Marisnick kept him on the sidelines until this past weekend. After spending 55 games at the Double-A level in 2013, he's getting his feet wet back in High-A ball. He has plus defensive skills but a front office contact within the Jays organization told me during the offseason -- shortly before the big trade -- that he's still getting used to some adjustments made to his batting stance and swing mechanics. Marisnick will have to be added to the 40-man roster this coming November to shield him from the Rule 5 draft.
The lesser known name of the group of prospects sent to Miami, Anthony DeSclafani arguably has had the most success of the four players. The University of Florida alum has a 0.44 ERA with 16 strikeouts and three walks in 20.2 innings pitched. A reliever with inconsistent results in college, the organization is trying to stretch him out as a starter in pro ball. Like Nicolino, DeSclafani has to be added to the 40-man roster after the 2014 season.
Prospect Tidbits: With the recent success of 2012 National League Cy Young award winner R.A. Dickey, the knuckleball is enjoying renewed popularity. Orioles minor leaguer Eddie Gamboa is attempting to become the next successful big league knuckleballer. Benjamin Hill of MLB.com explained that the pitching prospect received some guidance from Hall of Famer Phil Niekro during spring training. Gamboa said that he's currently throwing his new pitch about 50 percent of the time in game situations, much to his surprise. Said Gamboa:
"I always put up okay numbers, enough to keep getting a job again but not enough to get a promotion... My game was stuck... The knuckleball was always something that I had practiced just in case, but I didn't think that just in case was going to be this year."
A talented two-way player in high school, Stetson Allie signed with the Pirates for a $2.25MM bonus in 2010 and began his career on the mound. When he was unable to harness his control (29 walks in 26 innings in 2011), the organization took a huge gamble by shifting the strong-armed prospect to first base. It took a year of struggling to find his footing but Allie is finally tapping into his plus raw power and has eight home runs in 24 A-ball games. Mike Newman of FanGraphs.com recently watched the Pirates prospect play and he also spoke with Allie, as well as Pittsburgh's assistant general manager Kyle Stark.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Philabuster, give us the skinny on the guy with the coolest name in baseball: Rock Shoulders!

I can't help it...every time I hear that name I think of "Boogie Nights". :lol:

Royals first base coach Rusty Kuntz wonders if you remember him?

:omg:

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok Philabuster, Rafael Montero...whatta ya got?

Philabuster5

Visionary (aka dreamer)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can only give quick answers while I'm working haha. I run a delivery company so most of my peaks on here come during an elevator ride or waiting in a lineup :)
As far as Montero I think he's probably a mid rotation guy. I'm a big TINSTAAPP guy, and with his lack of ace potential (at least from what I've read) he's so far down my radar at this point. I'd have to look more at him for more details. Sorry

Reverend Jim

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,275.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miguel Sano is a personal favorite of mine, I'd like to hear what you have to say about him.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't play fantasy baseball, but a heads-up that it looks like the Giants will be calling up Francisco Peguero. Not sure exactly what his PT will be, but you gotta figure he will take at least the bulk of the starts against lefties.

He is considered a poor-mans 5-tool player. He had an amazing spring, and is hitting over .400 in Fresno right now.

Francisco Peguero Minor League Statistics & History - Baseball-Reference.com