• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Preseason Week 1 GDT: 49ers vs Broncos

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He got in there and was making some plays. He almost chased down their 6'8 QB after flushing him out of the pocket. First impression wasn't bad at all. Was trying to keep an eye on him and Cam Johnson, but it was a little difficult.

Noticed Lemonier more than Cam tonight, although granted I was checking in every other play in the last quarter and a half. I saw Cam over commit on that play action but nothing too bad nor too good from him. Lemonier also overran a few plays here and there but he looked pretty good in applying some pressure.

I really liked Reid and his tackling abilities. As for AJ, other than that fumble he was pretty much non existent. There's still 3 more games but if Collie continues to make nice plays and you have Boldin, Manningham, Williams, and either Lockette or Moore stepping up, what do you do with AJ especially when Crabtree comes into the mix later this year?

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Any Joe Looney sightings tonight? I'm rooting for him to steal the C jorb.

I saw him in there playing center I think. I didn't watch him though, and don't know if they were shifting him around to G as well. Maiocco might do a run down on everyone in the next few days for a broad overview.

One of the announcers said it was disappointing that he wasn't playing last year... which is complete nonsense. Probably didn't know he had the foot injury. The only way he was going to get on the field last year was if there was an injury or someone sucked.

I think Killgore started the game at center.

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw him in there playing center I think. I didn't watch him though, and don't know if they were shifting him around to G as well. Maiocco might do a run down on everyone in the next few days for a broad overview.

One of the announcers said it was disappointing that he wasn't playing last year... which is complete nonsense. Probably didn't know he had the foot injury. The only way he was going to get on the field last year was if there was an injury or someone sucked.

I think Killgore started the game at center.

Yeah it was Tim Ryan who made a comment of how disappointed he was that Looney didn't play last year despite being a 4th round pick. Although he was right in his assessment that LMJ was the only contributor in last year's draft class, he did forget Looney's injury bug.

Just for kicks, just looking back at last year's draft class and here we go:

1 (30) - A.J. Jenkins, WR, Illinois Struggling thus far
2 (61) - LaMichael James, RB, Oregon Solid contributor as a RB and in the return game
4 (117) - Joe Looney, OG, Wake Forest Could fill in along with Snyder and Kilgore for additional
snaps/jumbo sets/etc
5 (165) - Darius Fleming, OLB, Notre Dame Released/multiple injuries on the same knee
6 (180) - Trent Robinson, FS, Michigan State Vying for a backup safety spot
6 (199) - Jason Slowey, OL, Western Oregon Released
7 (237) - Cam Johnson, DE/OLB, Virginia Didn't figure into the stat sheet/didn't create much push
from what I recall. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong

EaseUrStorm

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Noticed Lemonier more than Cam tonight, although granted I was checking in every other play in the last quarter and a half. I saw Cam over commit on that play action but nothing too bad nor too good from him. Lemonier also overran a few plays here and there but he looked pretty good in applying some pressure.

I really liked Reid and his tackling abilities. As for AJ, other than that fumble he was pretty much non existent. There's still 3 more games but if Collie continues to make nice plays and you have Boldin, Manningham, Williams, and either Lockette or Moore stepping up, what do you do with AJ especially when Crabtree comes into the mix later this year?

Lemonier looked like a more solid player than Cam tonight. If I were the coaches I'd be inclined to keep Jenkins around for his speed. A lot will depend on what's going on in practices. If he's doing things in practice he should edge out a speed WR like Lockette. It will depend on how many receivers they keep. Moore could get a spot. Collie could get a spot. Oz could get a spot with his special teams prowess. When Manningham comes back maybe they cut from another position, but when Crabtree comes back someone's gone.

EaseUrStorm

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yeah it was Tim Ryan who made a comment of how disappointed he was that Looney didn't play last year despite being a 4th round pick. Although he was right in his assessment that LMJ was the only contributor in last year's draft class, he did forget Looney's injury bug.

Just for kicks, just looking back at last year's draft class and here we go:

1 (30) - A.J. Jenkins, WR, Illinois Struggling thus far
2 (61) - LaMichael James, RB, Oregon Solid contributor as a RB and in the return game
4 (117) - Joe Looney, OG, Wake Forest Could fill in along with Snyder and Kilgore for additional
snaps/jumbo sets/etc
5 (165) - Darius Fleming, OLB, Notre Dame Released/multiple injuries on the same knee
6 (180) - Trent Robinson, FS, Michigan State Vying for a backup safety spot
6 (199) - Jason Slowey, OL, Western Oregon Released
7 (237) - Cam Johnson, DE/OLB, Virginia Didn't figure into the stat sheet/didn't create much push
from what I recall. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong

I think Flemming just got released after he got re-injured.

willtalk

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lemonier looked like a more solid player than Cam tonight. If I were the coaches I'd be inclined to keep Jenkins around for his speed. A lot will depend on what's going on in practices. If he's doing things in practice he should edge out a speed WR like Lockette. It will depend on how many receivers they keep. Moore could get a spot. Collie could get a spot. Oz could get a spot with his special teams prowess. When Manningham comes back maybe they cut from another position, but when Crabtree comes back someone's gone.

In some of Jenkins scouting reports it said that he plays slower than his 40 times. If he can not break free off the line then he is limited to a slot position and his speed is pretty much useless. The Niner's drafted him to be an edge receiver which they need a lot more than someone who can play in the slot. They don't need him to run on their relay team. His speed if it doesn't translate on the field it means little.

Your statement about Jenkins in relation to Lockette makes no sense. You say keep Jenkins for his speed, but he should edge out a speed receiver like Lockette, when Jenkins in fact is slower. Lockette at least can play special teams. Jenkins has yet to show that he can beat a defender on press coverage for a long gain, even in practice. where as Lockette has. That 70 yarder wasn't against press coverage rather against a half speed scout team defense.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lemon has the body type like Aldon. I'm very impressed by him, he could have a very bright future. Cam looks too lean IMO.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Collie has been on the team a week and he put in a better performance than Jenkins. I look forward to him getting the play book down and Kyle returning. AJ is a joke and a waste of time right now. He needs to earn play time based on practice. He just wasted an entire game of playing time for guys that would probably do a better job.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only guy I faith in right now that could be explosive at WR is Kyle Williams but he can't stay healthy. Everyone else is like a possession receiver. Manningham needs to come back soon.

EaseUrStorm

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
In some of Jenkins scouting reports it said that he plays slower than his 40 times. If he can not break free off the line then he is limited to a slot position and his speed is pretty much useless. The Niner's drafted him to be an edge receiver which they need a lot more than someone who can play in the slot. They don't need him to run on their relay team. His speed if it doesn't translate on the field it means little.

Your statement about Jenkins in relation to Lockette makes no sense. You say keep Jenkins for his speed, but he should edge out a speed receiver like Lockette, when Jenkins in fact is slower. Lockette at least can play special teams. Jenkins has yet to show that he can beat a defender on press coverage for a long gain, even in practice. where as Lockette has. That 70 yarder wasn't against press coverage rather against a half speed scout team defense.

So Jenkins is a slow receiver??? What are you talking about? Yes Lockette is faster, but he's much more likely to get cut or put on the practice squad. Then what other receiver do you have left with speed?

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Jenkins is a slow receiver??? What are you talking about? Yes Lockette is faster, but he's much more likely to get cut or put on the practice squad. Then what other receiver do you have left with speed?

He said plays slower which would be a legitimate criticism. I honestly think AJ's issues are mental not physical but he's running out of time to prove that.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of positives with this game.
1) 1st unit looked awesome(offense and Defense) Kap looks like he is ready.
2) reid looked ready to be the starter
3)Asomugha looked like he is ready to be the 32 or 33 CB
4)I Williams looked like the beast they were talking about
5)Boldin is what I thought he would be for this team
6)Lemon looked awesome

Negatives:
1)missed FG
2)2nd unit on the Oline looked bad
3)back up QB looks bad
4)Dixon looked like he had no clue(blame the oline) Looked good on special teams
5)A. Davis got beat a couple of times
6)Jenkins looked really bad.
7)Havent found that #2 WR yet. Maybe morris kid. Osgood looked ok. Nothing great here.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I always felt when people use the term "playing slower than their speed"; it just means that they are fast without contact but most of that speed is cancelled out with contact because they can't fight through the jams or press man coverage.

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He said plays slower which would be a legitimate criticism. I honestly think AJ's issues are mental not physical but he's running out of time to prove that.

I agree with his issues being mental. Lack of concentration and confidence seem to be his 2 biggest problems.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

sky-is-falling-flickr-alan_levine_463x308.jpg

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think Flemming just got released after he got re-injured.

He was waived-injured. If teams put a guy on IR at this time in the preseason, another team can claim him. That's what happened with Ballard and the Giants/Pats, and why Culliver is still on the roster. Fleming cleared waivers and is now on the IR, I believe (the roster on 49ers.com confirms this).