• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Preseason Week 1 GDT: 49ers vs Broncos

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I completely disagree with your assessment of him. Put LMJ back in the game right now and see what happens. There's a reason why he's not getting carries behind LMJ and Hunter. Michael Turner has better vision balance and power against no. 1's. If he's your starting RB you better have a strong passing game because he won't break off runs like you see him every preseason.

That is your opinion that I completely disagree with. Michael Turner is not as good of an athlete plain and simple, you stated that speed and quickness was what mattered and I gave an example of a player who is inferior to Dixon in that department. Others that are on the same level would be Blount, Hillis and guys like that. Neither of which have the vision that Dixon has and both have succeeded against no. 1 defenses.

Dixon has the tools that you need, he has power, vision and great balance. He has adequate speed and quickness like guys like Blount but isn't going to be juking anyone. You seem to think that every running back has to be Chris Johnson, I'll take a guy who can get me 4 years a carry over a guy who is a pure speed guy. Anyday.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McDonald looked nice on that catch

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back up QB is looking up for grabs. Both looked like shit

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will say this and fear it may be a recurring theme...

last year, we had alex n an unproven Kaep but most of us were still pretty confident in the event that should Alex go down we had Kaep to come through...

now.... We're top heavy and its not even funny, its Kaep or bust... surprised Tozien didn't look sharp.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will say this and fear it may be a recurring theme...

last year, we had alex n an unproven Kaep but most of us were still pretty confident in the event that should Alex go down we had Kaep to come through...

now.... We're top heavy and its not even funny, its Kaep or bust... surprised Tozien didn't look sharp.

It will be a big drop off but... I wouldn't worry too much because I think the backup QBs would look a lot different behind the starting offensive line. One of the biggest problems for McCoy and Tolzein is that their O-Lines were not playing very good.

That being said, to actually win a Super Bowl, it isn't happening without Kaepernick. But, I think if McCoy had to play a game or two in the regular season with the 1st string Offense and Defense, he should be able to get a win or two depending on how well the defense carried him.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That is your opinion that I completely disagree with. Michael Turner is not as good of an athlete plain and simple, you stated that speed and quickness was what mattered and I gave an example of a player who is inferior to Dixon in that department. Others that are on the same level would be Blount, Hillis and guys like that. Neither of which have the vision that Dixon has and both have succeeded against no. 1 defenses.

Dixon has the tools that you need, he has power, vision and great balance. He has adequate speed and quickness like guys like Blount but isn't going to be juking anyone. You seem to think that every running back has to be Chris Johnson, I'll take a guy who can get me 4 years a carry over a guy who is a pure speed guy. Anyday.

This is actually a very interesting topic to me. I look at guys like Haralson and Dixon similarly. They have a skill set that will absolutely crush pre-season competition. They both did it again today.

But as soon as you put Haralson against a legit tackle, he just can't get to the QB consistently. That's the way I've come to look at Dixon. He can play at the NFL level, but he can't get away with the tapdance. I didn't say anyone needs to be Chris Johnson. He just doesn't quite have the speed/power/vision combo skills to be an every down guy when the holes tighten up, and when he can't run by guys.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't get to watch the game. Only the opening drive which looked solid on offense and defense.

Would love to hear someone's thoughts on the game. Who usually does that?

Anyways ill try and watch the 10pm showing.

Won't get too crazy over the first pre season game as it is a bit if shaking off the rust and nerves. Didnt look good but there's 3 more to go.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Vern Glenn is TINY. Haralson, at 6'1" - granted maybe in cleats - is towering over him. Guy's got to be about 5'6".

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
So how 'bout Vance McDonald eh? If a TE that big, tall & strong's primary concern is getting better at blocking then we may have something here. That was my biggest concern for the offense this offseason because Wakler was a huge part of it. I'm gonna laugh my ass off at my Cowboys fan buddy when McDonald is 10 times better than Gavin Escobar. :)

EaseUrStorm

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Didn't get to watch the game. Only the opening drive which looked solid on offense and defense.

Would love to hear someone's thoughts on the game. Who usually does that?

Anyways ill try and watch the 10pm showing.

Won't get too crazy over the first pre season game as it is a bit if shaking off the rust and nerves. Didnt look good but there's 3 more to go.

Lot of rust and sloppy fumbles. Opening drive was probably the highlight. McCoy looked pretty bad. Tolzein played a lot and was up and down. He didn't really get anything going. Jenkins didn't do anything except catch one pass and fumble. I wasn't impressed with LMJ today running or returning. I don't think our backup o-line played very well, but the backup defense was pretty solid.

Osgood is a WR to keep an eye on to make the team for ST's. He was all over the place. Lockete made a great ST tackle too. The defense played good overall. For the rookies, Lemonier did some good things, and Reid showed that he's a strong tackler but wasn't tested in the passing game. Vance McDonald looked pretty good. He had a drop, but overall looked good.

Our corners looked pretty good. Nnamdi and Cox were flying around. All Star preseason players Haralson and Dixon tore it up against inferior competition as the game broke down.

EaseUrStorm

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Did anyone spot Corey Lemonier? I didn't see the whole game.

He got in there and was making some plays. He almost chased down their 6'8 QB after flushing him out of the pocket. First impression wasn't bad at all. Was trying to keep an eye on him and Cam Johnson, but it was a little difficult.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
By the way, I was seriously thinking about this BEFORE the preseason game. One preseason game means nothing.

Is it time to give Perrish Cox a contract extension? Nnamdi & Brown are in contract years. Rogers is as good as gone with his salary next season. Culliver only has 2014 left, and he'll be coming off an ACL tear. The FA class for CBs is rough to say the least. The only CB the Niners drafted the last 2 years (because they stupidly took AJ Jenkins over Janoris) is Marcus Cooper, and he was 2 picks away from being Mr. Irrelevant.

One thing Cox has never lacked is talent. If he's grown up, he could be an above-average starting CB in this league. I want to see Perrish when I watch Niner games for at least a few more years. (Avoided the land mine there).

Last edited by a moderator:

EaseUrStorm

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Looks like Colt will have an MRI. It seems precautionary to me. Tolzein has to be kicking himself that he didn't light it up and get a leg up in that competition. Also it looks like Moody's knee is fine. He walked off so that's not a big surprise.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Any Joe Looney sightings tonight? I'm rooting for him to steal the C jorb.