• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Peyton Won't Be a Colt in 2012

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Not saying I agree, but Deep is saying it would be foolish to pick up a player Harbaugh doesn't want because he doesn't fit his scheme. Forget about Snyder, he isn't focusing upon that. That sounds like a distracter on your part. And I believe you already knew that but this was an easier point to make (that Manning > Snyder) There's a good argument for why it isn't foolish to pick Peyton up, you shouldn't jump at a false argument.

I think it's an easier point to make that it's ridiculous to say Manning doesn't fit a system.

What does our system involve that Manning would not be able to do? If it's the running QB part, Smith only ran 52 times this year (barely over 3 times per game). How may of those were designed runs? I'm pretty sure Manning would be able to find a receiver on a lot of the Smith scrambles.

However, what more can Manning bring to the system that Smith couldn't? A lot of passing routes will open up that Smith either wouldn't throw, or couldn't throw if we were to add Peyton to the roster.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's an easier point to make that it's ridiculous to say Manning doesn't fit a system.

What does our system involve that Manning would not be able to do? If it's the running QB part, Smith only ran 52 times this year (barely over 3 times per game). How may of those were designed runs? I'm pretty sure Manning would be able to find a receiver on a lot of the Smith scrambles.

However, what more can Manning bring to the system that Smith couldn't? A lot of passing routes will open up that Smith either wouldn't throw, or couldn't throw if we were to add Peyton to the roster.

That still wasn't the point. It isn't if Snyder > Manning or Smith > Manning. It's if Manning is someone Harbaugh does not want, for whatever reason - fit, pride, head size, pepsi/coke preference, whatever - Deep is saying it would be foolish to get that player instead of the player he does want. The simple reason being that unless Harbaugh is overridden on the field, Manning wouldn't get to do what we want him to do if Harbaugh does not want him. Singletary didn't think QBs were that important and it was clear towards the end that maybe in the beginning he didn't want Alex as his QB. Alex, I feel, performed worse because he wasn't what Singletary envisioned. Smith was, for this year, what Harbaugh envisioned. I don't think Harbaugh is that petty, I think he's competitive, so he will try hard even with someone he doesn't want, but even in good faith, a guy that doesn't fit the coaches vision will achieve less than he would if he fit. Now, with that handicap, it may still be better than Smith. and in that case, Baalke needs to go over Harbaugh's head, but it's better to oppose one's point if you understand and address his point, not change the focus.

Last edited by a moderator:

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think about it this way. There's no reason for him not to say what he's said. It's not like Baalke would block Harbaugh's hypothetical change of heart to Manning and say, "but you said you wanted Alex!" It's not like Manning is going to say, "I know you present me with my best opportunity, the money, and the autonomy, but you said you wanted Alex!" It's not like Kaep will turn down his chance later saying, "but you wanted Alex!" It's not like Alex will actually get that much higher of a salary because "you said you liked me." (Though his agent will use this, it's unlikely they would turn the bank over to him because of this vs. the alternative luke warm statements) It's not like Harbaugh is a HOF without saying anything about Alex, but then loses it based upon statements. The team is also not going to turn on him for supporting their current QB. What exactly is he jeopardizing by making these statements?

Sure, the media might say he led Alex on and turned his back on him like the Bears did (?) to him. But I'm sure that would die down with the excitement from the media and fans. He might have saved your heart a few unnecessary palpitations.

Let's say Manning isn't released, isn't healthy, chooses some other team, or fails here (unlikely) after giving luke warm or dismissive remarks about Alex. I don't think Alex would leave per se (unlikely) but Harbaugh would get even MORE questions about his QB from everyone including the media, fans, and players. Sando said it best when he said there was no reason for them not to support Alex publicly and even privately. He hasn't exactly signed him for the max. If/when he signs him, the complaint will be there, that he signed him, not that he praised him and stood by him.

I'm not saying he's lying, doesn't in the least believe in Alex, etc. just saying there's not a good reason to turn on him without securing Manning first. Having said that, I'm not saying that this is the plan, either.

A lot of words there, but you could've said what you said in a sentence.

And there is a reason why he shouldn't say it this early. He changes his mind and he'll look like a flip-flopper. He'd lose some credibility with his players, who won't take his word that he wants them on his team seriously.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry Imac, but I don't keep up with the latest Xbox news. Having Harbaugh and Alex Smith together at Pebble Beach may not be absolute proof that Smith is coming back, but IMO, and everyone has one, Smith will be the starting QB for the Niners in 2012. I just think that Alex and Harbaugh have developed a good rapport with each other.

This conversation isn't about whether if Smith is starting for us or not.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of words there, but you could've said what you said in a sentence.

And there is a reason why he shouldn't say it this early. He changes his mind and he'll look like a flip-flopper. He'd lose some credibility with his players, who won't take his word that he wants them on his team seriously.

I'm glad to have you as my editor, I don't know what I'd do without you. :toast:

I think the reasons to do what he's done outweighs the reasons not to. As far as I know, no one has asked him point blank about Manning. I'm sure he'd just say that he's not allowed to talk about other team's players; plus, I think he would reiterate that it's a competition, nothing's anointed, and vaguely respond that he's trying to get the best out there and Alex deserves to compete. Oh, and that he likes our guys.

If Harbaugh changes his mind, it'll quickly be overcome by success. If Harbaugh waivers on Smith, fails to get Manning, that will last longer. But I guess, we're going to have to agree or disagree, here. I still think what he does means so much more than what he says and that'll be the only thing that really, in the end, matters. What he says will be pale in comparison to what he does. If he signs Smith, that should say enough and vice-versa. I'd be upset with the decision, not the mode of communication.

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't watch ESPN for information, but apparently you do.

So you think Harbaugh would give Luck autono my at the LOS, but not Peyton Manning?

BS, everyone watches and repeats what they hear on ESPN. And to prove my point about Harbaugh and Manning, I'll bet you any amount of money you name that the 49ers do not even make an offer to Manning.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BS, everyone watches and repeats what they hear on ESPN. And to prove my point about Harbaugh and Manning, I'll bet you any amount of money you name that the 49ers do not even make an offer to Manning.

I don't care if they make Manning an offer. I'm disputing your BS claim that Harbaugh never relinquishes some control to his QBs. His time at Stanford clearly disproves that, regardless of what the dumb fucks at ESPN say.

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't care if they make Manning an offer. I'm disputing your BS claim that Harbaugh never relinquishes some control to his QBs. His time at Stanford clearly disproves that, regardless of what the dumb fucks at ESPN say.

My "BS claim" is that Harbaugh will not allow Manning to be on this team; go back and read it. I stand by it. If he wanted Manning it stands to reason they'd at least make him an offer and they won't.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My "BS claim" is that Harbaugh will not allow Manning to be on this team; go back and read it. I stand by it. If he wanted Manning it stands to reason they'd at least make him an offer and they won't.

Yeah, I'm disputing the reason you cited as to why Harbaugh won't "allow" Manning to be on his team.

Try and keep up.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
My mistake. When you said you wouldn't sign Peyton Manning if it meant we couldn't re-sign Adam Snyder you meant you wouldn't sign Peyton Manning if it meant we couldn't sign Adam Snyder.

I suppose you had the bit about Harbaugh being serious about Alex Smith, because of course Alex Smith is a better option at QB than a healthy Peyton Manning.

Hey, why bring in one of the greatest 10 (5?) QBs of all time if he proves healthy if it means we lose a backup guard. Those guys are irreplaceable.

And what makes Brooks so fantastic? Could he be a beneficiary of the team around him?

The idea that Snyder, Brooks or two ST carry more value than a healthy Peyton Manning is ridiculous.

if i explained myself wrong, then my bad?

but now you're doing what you always do, twist things around so it fits something you can argue over. if you stick YOUR argument you'd be right, but problem is.....thats not what i meant.

Southern9er

Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm pretty excited about this news because there isn't a QB needy team in the NFL better prepared to win a SB than the Niners. If Peyton plays this year and he plays for the Niners I think they would be the favourites in the NFC & probably even the NFL.

Never figured you for the trolling type...

Southern9er

Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If I "kept up" with you but I'd be as far off topic as you are. Harbaugh's ego will not allow Manning on the team. I stand by it. Disprove it or move on.

Harbaugh's ego? :burt:

Yeah...Mannings ego, which is non-existent, is irrelevant...disprove it? Why don't you prove it, its your premise, not his...

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Chiefs seem like they could be a good fit for Manning. I know that's not a very viable option for him considering Cassel's contract, but Stanzi could really benefit from that IMO.