• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Peyton Won't Be a Colt in 2012

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's disappointing that Harbaugh is saying Alex is his guy, especially with Manning likely being available. With or without Manning, the 49ers probably still run away with the NFC West. Unless Manning goes to the Seahawks or Cardinals.

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Peyton will not be coming to the Niners. Jim Harbaugh has repeatedly said that Alex is his QB. I heard from ESPN (John Clayton) that the Redskins and the Dolphins are possible landing spots for him. Seeing Harbaugh at Pebble Beach along with Alex Smith is proof that he will be the QB in 2012. The only question will be if Colin K. will be given an opportunity to compete for the starting position.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no chance Manning ends up with the Niners; Harbaugh's ego won't allow it. Harbaugh is too much of a control freak where the offense is concerned to have Manning come in and run it from the line of scrimmage calling his own plays. It would come down to Harbaugh quitting if the front office tried to force Manning on him and if I had to choose between the two, I'd keep Harbaugh.

Where the hell are you getting this from? Harbaugh gave Andrew Luck enough autonomy at Stanford to make his own pre-snap judgements and audibles. Just because he didn't let Alex do it in his first year in his system doesn't mean he'll never be able to do it with a QB he actually trusts.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this is too general a statement......IF the subject was who's the better team, of course we're better than the Colts. but the 49ers need a QB for THIS scheme, with THIS offensive unit.

so is OUR offensive unit the right supporting cast for Peyton's style? is our HC's style and hence OC's play calling, in sync with how Peyton operates best? cause if they aren't in sync, or don't share the same thought process, thats the lot of money to tie up. tieing up that money means less talent at other spots.

i don't know but asking 'hard' so others consider it too. its not just his H-O-F name, and everything falls in place?

Peyton Manning transcends schemes and offensive units. He'd have a better OL, a better running game, a better TE, and a much, much better defense. He'd have a coaching staff that was actually competent and could develop a game-plan, and he'd be a on a team that was a few plays away from the superbowl WITHOUT him.

Peyton Manning pretty much ran the practices on offense in Indy. No, Harbaugh isn't gonna give him that much control. And I don't think Manning would want that much control. I think Harbaugh would give him enough autonomy at the line of scrimmage to keep him happy, and Manning would know that he would be coming to an established team with a strong offensive mind as HC.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's disappointing that Harbaugh is saying Alex is his guy, especially with Manning likely being available. With or without Manning, the 49ers probably still run away with the NFC West. Unless Manning goes to the Seahawks or Cardinals.

Seriously. I don't see why Harbaugh has to make this statement so quickly. Let's take a step back and look at our options, even if we really do want Smith back.

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think there was a good, but not certain chance that we were one fumble away, but it was NOT the second fumble. Without the first we would have either turned it over anyway, take time off the clock but not score, make it a 7 point game with a fg, or gone up 21-10. So I have come to the conclusion that we were 1-2 plays away from winning, either the first fumble and the overthrown pass to Williams, the first fumble and either of the dropped interceptions, the overthrow and either interception opportunity, or a combination of any of those plus the Walker pass that should have been. If any 1-2 of those plays happen, the Giants would be at least 1-2 plays away from winning. Nowhere does the second fumble come into play unless coupled with a generous 25/75 chance of driving the field in OT after stalling out the previous possessions.

There's no end of woulda-coulda-shouldas or alternate endings but for the sake of my sanity, I have resigned to us being 1-2 plays away from the 2012 Super Bowl. Not saying that about or applying that to next year, yet. Heck, a NY fumble when trying to get good FG position could have been a fumble-6. So the possibilities never end. You might say, well duh! Any team is one play away if it's a sixer. But I am pretty proud of my team getting to that point. And it's not because of where I expected them to be. In general, I was proud of them. The Packers were not one-two plays away, save a game changing TD in the first quarter that kills the Giants' confidence. Neither were the Falcons.

Me too.

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Where the hell are you getting this from? Harbaugh gave Andrew Luck enough autonomy at Stanford to make his own pre-snap judgements and audibles. Just because he didn't let Alex do it in his first year in his system doesn't mean he'll never be able to do it with a QB he actually trusts.

Same place you get your stuff from; ESPN.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously. I don't see why Harbaugh has to make this statement so quickly. Let's take a step back and look at our options, even if we really do want Smith back.

Think about it this way. There's no reason for him not to say what he's said. It's not like Baalke would block Harbaugh's hypothetical change of heart to Manning and say, "but you said you wanted Alex!" It's not like Manning is going to say, "I know you present me with my best opportunity, the money, and the autonomy, but you said you wanted Alex!" It's not like Kaep will turn down his chance later saying, "but you wanted Alex!" It's not like Alex will actually get that much higher of a salary because "you said you liked me." (Though his agent will use this, it's unlikely they would turn the bank over to him because of this vs. the alternative luke warm statements) It's not like Harbaugh is a HOF without saying anything about Alex, but then loses it based upon statements. The team is also not going to turn on him for supporting their current QB. What exactly is he jeopardizing by making these statements?

Sure, the media might say he led Alex on and turned his back on him like the Bears did (?) to him. But I'm sure that would die down with the excitement from the media and fans. He might have saved your heart a few unnecessary palpitations.

Let's say Manning isn't released, isn't healthy, chooses some other team, or fails here (unlikely) after giving luke warm or dismissive remarks about Alex. I don't think Alex would leave per se (unlikely) but Harbaugh would get even MORE questions about his QB from everyone including the media, fans, and players. Sando said it best when he said there was no reason for them not to support Alex publicly and even privately. He hasn't exactly signed him for the max. If/when he signs him, the complaint will be there, that he signed him, not that he praised him and stood by him.

I'm not saying he's lying, doesn't in the least believe in Alex, etc. just saying there's not a good reason to turn on him without securing Manning first. Having said that, I'm not saying that this is the plan, either.

Last edited by a moderator:

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Peyton will not be coming to the Niners. Jim Harbaugh has repeatedly said that Alex is his QB. I heard from ESPN (John Clayton) that the Redskins and the Dolphins are possible landing spots for him.

John Clayton, along with Adam Sheftner, didn't even have the Eagles on their radar when they were listing potential teams for Michael Vick. They don't know where Peyton will want to go.

Seeing Harbaugh at Pebble Beach along with Alex Smith is proof that he will be the QB in 2012.

That's proof? Proof would be the Niners signing him to a contract (which they could've done at any time for the last year & could do today if they wanted to).

AU_Fever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
John Clayton, along with Adam Sheftner, didn't even have the Eagles on their radar when they were listing potential teams for Michael Vick. They don't know where Peyton will want to go.

No one knows for sure, but I bet they have more connections than you and me will ever have. There's always going to be surprises, no one is 100% right all the time.

That's proof? Proof would be the Niners signing him to a contract (which they could've done at any time for the last year & could do today if they wanted to).

Sick, wanna bet money that Alex will be the starting QB in 2012? It would be nice to have Peyton, but that's a dream. Unless Alex and his agent demand an exuberant amount of money, he will be the starting QB or Colin K. if he were to be given a chance to unseat him.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Especially since Manning can shift the balance of power in the NFC West so easily. Arizona and Seattle both have teams that have enough talent to turn into 13 win teams with Peyton, in my opinion. So, I think it would be incredibly foolish to ignore that and pass on Peyton just to keep hoping that Alex Smith eventually starts for a 49ers team that wins a Super Bowl.

I just hope Baalke overrules Harbaugh on this, because this isn't a lateral move in the sense of JTO, Dilfer, Hill, or other names that pop up like Moore and Pennington. I'm personally against getting rid of Smith for more question marks, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with getting rid of Smith for a QB as good as Peyton.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Peyton Manning transcends schemes and offensive units. He'd have a better OL, a better running game, a better TE, and a much, much better defense. He'd have a coaching staff that was actually competent and could develop a game-plan, and he'd be a on a team that was a few plays away from the superbowl WITHOUT him.

Peyton Manning pretty much ran the practices on offense in Indy. No, Harbaugh isn't gonna give him that much control. And I don't think Manning would want that much control. I think Harbaugh would give him enough autonomy at the line of scrimmage to keep him happy, and Manning would know that he would be coming to an established team with a strong offensive mind as HC.

ok, so long as you've considered how he fits, fine here. not totally against Manning, but do have to ask. we'll know soon enough how Baalke and Harbaugh feels about Peyton running our scheme.

actually, if i'm Baalke and know Harbaugh is serious about Alex, i'd be foolish to add Peyton. more so @16M or so and not being able to keep say Brooks, or Snyder, or two ST players etc. so its really what Harbaugh thinks of Peyton in his scheme.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Sick, wanna bet money that Alex will be the starting QB in 2012? It would be nice to have Peyton, but that's a dream. Unless Alex and his agent demand an exuberant amount of money, he will be the starting QB or Colin K. if he were to be given a chance to unseat him.

The next Xbox is schedule to be released in 2013. Is that proof the Mayans were wrong about the world ending in 2012?

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
ok, so long as you've considered how he fits, fine here. not totally against Manning, but do have to ask. we'll know soon enough how Baalke and Harbaugh feels about Peyton running our scheme.

actually, if i'm Baalke and know Harbaugh is serious about Alex, i'd be foolish to add Peyton. more so @16M or so and not being able to keep say Brooks, or Snyder, or two ST players etc. so its really what Harbaugh thinks of Peyton in his scheme.

I think it's quite the opposite. I think you'd be foolish to not bring in Peyton Manning (assuming he passes all physicals) at the expense of keeping Brooks OR Snyder or two ST players.

Are you seriously saying you wouldn't sign Manning if it meant we could sign Adam Snyder?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think it's quite the opposite. I think you'd be foolish to not bring in Peyton Manning (assuming he passes all physicals) at the expense of keeping Brooks OR Snyder or two ST players.

Are you seriously saying you wouldn't sign Manning if it meant we could sign Adam Snyder?

no, you passed the main point and went to the secondary one.

AU_Fever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The next Xbox is schedule to be released in 2013. Is that proof the Mayans were wrong about the world ending in 2012?

Sorry Imac, but I don't keep up with the latest Xbox news. Having Harbaugh and Alex Smith together at Pebble Beach may not be absolute proof that Smith is coming back, but IMO, and everyone has one, Smith will be the starting QB for the Niners in 2012. I just think that Alex and Harbaugh have developed a good rapport with each other.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Saying it's most likely that Alex will be back isn't the same thing as saying "Peyton will not be coming to the Niners."

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
no, you passed the main point and went to the secondary one.

My mistake. When you said you wouldn't sign Peyton Manning if it meant we couldn't re-sign Adam Snyder you meant you wouldn't sign Peyton Manning if it meant we couldn't sign Adam Snyder.

I suppose you had the bit about Harbaugh being serious about Alex Smith, because of course Alex Smith is a better option at QB than a healthy Peyton Manning.

Hey, why bring in one of the greatest 10 (5?) QBs of all time if he proves healthy if it means we lose a backup guard. Those guys are irreplaceable.

And what makes Brooks so fantastic? Could he be a beneficiary of the team around him?

The idea that Snyder, Brooks or two ST carry more value than a healthy Peyton Manning is ridiculous.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pretty excited about this news because there isn't a QB needy team in the NFL better prepared to win a SB than the Niners. If Peyton plays this year and he plays for the Niners I think they would be the favourites in the NFC & probably even the NFL.

it'll be like young's final year...

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My mistake. When you said you wouldn't sign Peyton Manning if it meant we couldn't re-sign Adam Snyder you meant you wouldn't sign Peyton Manning if it meant we couldn't sign Adam Snyder.

I suppose you had the bit about Harbaugh being serious about Alex Smith, because of course Alex Smith is a better option at QB than a healthy Peyton Manning.

Hey, why bring in one of the greatest 10 (5?) QBs of all time if he proves healthy if it means we lose a backup guard. Those guys are irreplaceable.

And what makes Brooks so fantastic? Could he be a beneficiary of the team around him?

The idea that Snyder, Brooks or two ST carry more value than a healthy Peyton Manning is ridiculous.

Not saying I agree, but Deep is saying it would be foolish to pick up a player Harbaugh doesn't want because he doesn't fit his scheme. Forget about Snyder, he isn't focusing upon that. That sounds like a distracter on your part. And I believe you already knew that was his point but this was an easier point to make (Manning > Snyder). There's a good legitimate argument for why it isn't foolish to pick Peyton up, easy enough, you shouldn't jump at a false argument. He was saying, in addition, to pick someone your coach doesn't want in place of someone he does want that prevents you from keeping the players that make the coach feel his desired player work best with, is foolish. It would best fit for them to communicate to figure out what they want. If Baalke is going to veto Harbaugh's choice, Baalke should bring in someone else that fits his scheme or change the scheme, otherwise it's just putting Harbaugh in a tough position. Having said that, having Manning would be a nice tough position to be in.

Last edited by a moderator: