• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Peyton Won't Be a Colt in 2012

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
its just too easy to take Peyton's career at Indy, and assume he'll continue it in SF?
a lot of top FA's go thru transitions with their new teams, it could happen here too.

you get the impression our unit will have to change too much to suit Manning? whereas Harbaugh envisions an athletic QB - and calling plays as such - Manning is a pure pocket passer. we'd have to go to a passing type offense to maximize his skills, else why sign him? but our O-line isn't so solid in pass blocking either, can Manning execute those 5 and 7 step drops?

if this description of his personality is right, do we WANT a QB 'calling his shots'? he could do it in Indy cause he did it over time, he had continuity there. Manning hasn't spent ANY time with Harbaugh, Roman, and teammates....so will the chemistry continue or will it cause 'friction'?

not against adding Peyton Manning, but doesn't seem like a good fit?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
but our O-line isn't so solid in pass blocking either, can Manning execute those 5 and 7 step drops?

It's better than the 2012 Colts' OL in both pass blocking and run blocking. And if Peyton came to town I'd imagine they'd even add talent to an already good OL.

I think Harbaugh is smart enough to let Peyton do his thing if he came to SF.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It's better than the 2012 Colts' OL in both pass blocking and run blocking. And if Peyton came to town I'd imagine they'd even add talent to an already good OL.

if Manning fits our team fine, but reading this article, you don't get that impression?

do we want Manning "doing his thing? me, i prefer it top-down, coaches set the tone, and players execute. prefer Harbaugh in control and Roman carrying out his style.

next, the offensive UNT strive to get execute. what if Manning tries to do too much cause its expected of him (by fans)?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
do we want Manning "doing his thing? me, i prefer it top-down, coaches set the tone, and players execute. prefer Harbaugh in control and Roman carrying out his style.

At this point I don't have any problem with Manning as a psuedo-coach. He's earned enough respect that he'd be looked at as part of the coaching staff IMO. Only a few players in the NFL have EVER had that much stature IMO. Eli doesn't. Maybe Ray Lewis?

next, the offensive UNT strive to get execute. what if Manning tries to do too much cause its expected of him (by fans)?

There's a risk of that no matter who the QB is. I trust Peyton's judgement. In fact I think he'd welcome the prospect of a strong running game. One would feed off the other. They'd be 1 WR away from a top 3 offense as well as a top 3 defense IMO. And I think the Niners could get Reggie Wayne on the cheap. Maybe Hines Ward too if they wanted him.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
At this point I don't have any problem with Manning as a psuedo-coach. He's earned enough respect that he'd be looked at as part of the coaching staff IMO. Only a few players in the NFL have EVER had that much stature IMO. Eli doesn't. Maybe Ray Lewis?

There's a risk of that no matter who the QB is. I trust Peyton's judgement. In fact I think he'd welcome the prospect of a strong running game. One would feed off the other. They'd be 1 WR away from a top 3 offense as well as a top 3 defense IMO. And I think the Niners could get Reggie Wayne on the cheap. Maybe Hines Ward too if they wanted him.

ok.

just don't see us going after Peyton anyway.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It boggles my mind whenever someone says that we lack the supporting cast for Peyton Manning. This team just went 13 and fucking 3 WITHOUT Manning. Manning's team went 2-14 WITHOUT Manning. Which supporting cast would he pick?

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only problem i see with us going after Manning is the fact that we basically have to turn out back on Alex and let him go. I know it's a business an d all, but that's what it comes down to.

We take a big gamble and go for Peyton in FA or we stick with Alex and don't pursue Peyton at all. I don't think this franchise is willing to take a step backwards in order to go after Manning. I know some of you have faith in CK, but it seems like they want to stick with Alex for now.

Just for the record i have always wanted Peyton in a 9er uniform, but we would have to have enough confidence that he would want to come here in the first place. Harbaugh is obviously not willing to hand over the offense to Manning.

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm pretty excited about this news because there isn't a QB needy team in the NFL better prepared to win a SB than the Niners. If Peyton plays this year and he plays for the Niners I think they would be the favourites in the NFC & probably even the NFL.

There is no chance Manning ends up with the Niners; Harbaugh's ego won't allow it. Harbaugh is too much of a control freak where the offense is concerned to have Manning come in and run it from the line of scrimmage calling his own plays. It would come down to Harbaugh quitting if the front office tried to force Manning on him and if I had to choose between the two, I'd keep Harbaugh.

Mozart'sGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

The Niners' O Line is, at best, mediocre. By no stretch of the imagination can you call them "good".

Mozart'sGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Why does NO ONE ever mention the Niners in these articles about where Peyton might land? It is like the world forgot the Niners were one Kyle Williams away from going to the Super Bowl - and probably winning it.

They do. Herm Edwards and Mark Schlereth both said that "there is one place for certain that Manning won't end up and that is San Francisco". And they were not "one Kyle Williams fumble away from the Super Bowl". The Niners still would have had to score a point. I did not see that happening in that game. Other than two blown coverages that resulted in long TDs the Niners were completely inept on offense. They weren't going to score.

Last edited by a moderator:

ViperVisor

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I don't get the Harbaugh doesn't want a QB with his own authority. The problem with QB in 2011 was that he and his teammates were new to the offense and with much less time than normal to get into a groove. And with WRs dropping that made it worse. We weren't gonna be doing Manning-adjustments even with Manning last year.

If we could get him on the practice field in Spring we could have more shades of grey in the offense with the rest of the team in the 2nd year and QB with a chance to get fancy.

Mozart'sGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't get the Harbaugh doesn't want a QB with his own authority. The problem with QB in 2011 was that he and his teammates were new to the offense and with much less time than normal to get into a groove. And with WRs dropping that made it worse. We weren't gonna be doing Manning-adjustments even with Manning last year.

If we could get him on the practice field in Spring we could have more shades of grey in the offense with the rest of the team in the 2nd year and QB with a chance to get fancy.

Bringing in Manning means Harbaugh would quit and I'd rather keep Harbaugh.

ViperVisor

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Harbaugh could use some chillax and Peyton would bring that.

He will grind himself out in 2 more years at the rate he did last year.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They do. Herm Edwards and Mark Schlereth both said that "there is one place for certain that Manning won't end up and that is San Francisco". And they were not "one Kyle Williams fumble away from the Super Bowl". The Niners still would have had to score a point. I did not see that happening in that game. Other than two blown coverages that resulted in long TDs the Niners were completely inept on offense. They weren't going to score.

I think there was a good, but not certain chance that we were one fumble away, but it was NOT the second fumble. Without the first we would have either turned it over anyway, take time off the clock but not score, make it a 7 point game with a fg, or gone up 21-10. So I have come to the conclusion that we were 1-2 plays away from winning, either the first fumble and the overthrown pass to Williams, the first fumble and either of the dropped interceptions, the overthrow and either interception opportunity, or a combination of any of those plus the Walker pass that should have been. If any 1-2 of those plays happen, the Giants would be at least 1-2 plays away from winning. Nowhere does the second fumble come into play unless coupled with a generous 25/75 chance of driving the field in OT after stalling out the previous possessions.

There's no end of woulda-coulda-shouldas or alternate endings but for the sake of my sanity, I have resigned to us being 1-2 plays away from the 2012 Super Bowl. Not saying that about or applying that to next year, yet. Heck, a NY fumble when trying to get good FG position could have been a fumble-6. So the possibilities never end. You might say, well duh! Any team is one play away if it's a sixer. But I am pretty proud of my team getting to that point. And it's not because of where I expected them to be. In general, I was proud of them. The Packers were not one-two plays away, save a game changing TD in the first quarter that kills the Giants' confidence. Neither were the Falcons.

Last edited by a moderator:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It boggles my mind whenever someone says that we lack the supporting cast for Peyton Manning. This team just went 13 and fucking 3 WITHOUT Manning. Manning's team went 2-14 WITHOUT Manning. Which supporting cast would he pick?

this is too general a statement......IF the subject was who's the better team, of course we're better than the Colts. but the 49ers need a QB for THIS scheme, with THIS offensive unit.

so is OUR offensive unit the right supporting cast for Peyton's style? is our HC's style and hence OC's play calling, in sync with how Peyton operates best? cause if they aren't in sync, or don't share the same thought process, thats the lot of money to tie up. tieing up that money means less talent at other spots.

i don't know but asking 'hard' so others consider it too. its not just his H-O-F name, and everything falls in place?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this is too general a statement......IF the subject was who's the better team, of course we're better than the Colts. but the 49ers need a QB for THIS scheme, with THIS offensive unit.

so is OUR offensive unit the right supporting cast for Peyton's style? is our HC's style and hence OC's play calling, in sync with how Peyton operates best? cause if they aren't in sync, or don't share the same thought process, thats the lot of money to tie up. tieing up that money means less talent at other spots.

i don't know but asking 'hard' so others consider it too. its not just his H-O-F name, and everything falls in place?

The way I figure it is if I called the plays and Manning had to do what I said, we'd get blown out. So there's a limit to how Manning would do in a system that wasn't good for his strengths. Obviously the difference wouldn't be that great if comparing to Harbaugh's playcalling and not mine, but the point is that system does have it's effect. It's debateable how much of an effect.

If the answer was well it wouldn't matter how bad of playcalling I made because Manning wouldn't run my offense, he'd audible out and run it himself. Then that might work for me, as I would be relieved, but it wouldn't work out for Harbaugh.

Having said that, it's not all black and white. It won't be all Manning and it won't be all Harbaugh. And we're not choosing between Manning's strengths and my weaknesses. But it is somewhere in the middle (of Manning's offense and the Niners 2012 offense - whatever that might be) so I would urge those of us thinking that Manning/Harbaugh would explode in front of our eyes to take it down a notch. I would also suggest those saying that we're choosing between 2007 Manning and 2005 Smith, to do the same and rethink it.

2012 Manning is a wildcard because we can only know what is true when we see it because both Irsay and Manning's camp has an incentive to fudge the truth a bit. Some say he's retired, some say he's healthy, some say he's on schedule for mid season. Who knows? 2012 Smith is wildcard, not because of health, but because of chances of regression or improvement. We cannot say that an improved Smith is worse than a regressed Manning without knowing how much the neck injury affects Manning, especially if we'd have to play a backup until mid-season. (This is under the fact that no matter what anyone's opinion is, Kaep is a wildcard, too.)

I'm not saying well, don't do anything because everyone's a wildcard. What I am saying is that we all have opinions that are as likely to be right as much as wrong (give or take). My take is to wait until March 13 +/- a few days to sign Alex or not. See if Manning is released (likely), see what others are offering, and determine, with our own doctors, whether Manning is healthy enough (I don't trust his doctors any more than Irsay's). Unless Manning is all about money or is trying to pull a fast one about his health (which I doubt), he'll weigh his options. Why waiver with Alex now? If Alex agrees to an amount that Manning was still an option (not likely) sign him, otherwise keep negotiating.

If Alex is really their guy, sign him now for a fair deal with a smart contract. I'm not in favor of lowballing him or going for Kaep for the bang-for-the-buck theory. If everything works out we can get Smith in a contract that allows us to switch to Kaep if necessary.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Not if he didn't have the first muff. They had the lead at that point and the Niners' D was rock solid. They could have coasted to a win with the offense going three-and-out.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

You know, I started down this road, possibly due to the press harping on it. And I don't think Harbaugh would be entirely willing to hand over the reins to his QB on offense with no input whatsoever. But I figure Andrew Luck had as much of a say in the offense as any college QB when Harbaugh was there, so he may not be nearly as anal about that stuff as he appears. Obviously the level of control Peyton would want would far exceed what Luck had, but I could see Harbaugh being more collaborative with his QB than domineering. I still think it's highly unlikely, but one never knows. As said, even with Peyton at 85%, I think we're on the short list of Super Bowl favorites.