• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Penn State

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not saying it is pretty. I prefer the VT approach.

Kid approaches VT (kid or his parent/coach)

Beamer calls O'Brien and tells him what's up.

They talk.

I am just saying that this is nothing new or shocking in the world that is recruiting.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How Penn State Could Have Fought The NCAA And Won

That link basically answers what I had talked about in my earlier post in this topic. The NCAA doesn't really have the authority to punish Penn State like it did but could do so because Penn St went along with it. Though I still stand by my opinion. As disgusting as the crimes were, the NCAA shouldn't have gotten involved. Its a criminal case, not a football issue.

And thanks to the NCAA's punishments, everyone's talking about it like its a football issue. Instead of really reflecting on the victims and seeking out punishment for the administrators, all anyone is talking about is "Which PSU players will transfer?".

Taz_Hokie

Ut Prosim
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That link basically answers what I had talked about in my earlier post in this topic. The NCAA doesn't really have the authority to punish Penn State like it did but could do so because Penn St went along with it. Though I still stand by my opinion. As disgusting as the crimes were, the NCAA shouldn't have gotten involved. Its a criminal case, not a football issue.

And thanks to the NCAA's punishments, everyone's talking about it like its a football issue. Instead of really reflecting on the victims and seeking out punishment for the administrators, all anyone is talking about is "Which PSU players will transfer?".

Punishments? P'shaw. They're getting jobs with the government!

Graham Spanier, former Penn State president, gets job with federal government - NCAA Football - Sporting News

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

There were both criminal and football organization issues involved.

So the NCAA was correct to administer sanctions, Penn State was correct to accept them, and there will also be both criminal and civil actions against both individuals and the university. The link you provided is a blog, and so it reflects the opinion of an individual. The fact, however, is that Penn State realized the value in accepting the sanctions and moving forward. There is a certain element of closure involved.

So it's a combination of perspectives. We're talking about recruiting because 1) those sanctions were just announced, and 2) this is a football recruiting board.

Don't worry, criminal investigations/prosecutions are ongoing, and victims are determining what civil actions they want to take.

MattB4VT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you're not either going after psu players, or at least giving them proper evaluation, you're not committed to being the best team you possibly can be.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If you're not either going after psu players, or at least giving them proper evaluation, you're not committed to being the best team you possibly can be.

Particularly since you get a recruiting advantage in terms of numbers, and almost every other team is doing the same thing, with the same rationale.

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

I've always had the same stance. If required, it should have been PSU that "self imposed" those penalties. It's too late now. I won't feel sorry for the program, but I do think it sucks for the innocent players and alumni that have to deal with the fallout. We know better than most fanbases that the horrible acts of a few can cause great pain to all.

Last edited by a moderator:

MattB4VT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is and was a football issue. In nearly every way. Took place in football facilities. Rapes committed by a football coach. Rapes covered up by football coach, as well as administrators. All to protect the football program, and continue winning. They made football more important than the law, as well as the well-being of innocent kids whose lives have been ruined forever.
The NCAA should have hit them much harder than the sanctions they got. And a four year death penalty was on the table during negotiations as well.

I know a big part of this has become, which players will transfer? But that's part of the territory. Every player deserves the right to play for a bowl game, be proud of who they play for, and where they went to school.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A local sports personality said it very well yesterday. That this is both a football issue as well as a moral issue. Most NCAA sanctions come because teams are doing something outside of the rules to get a competing advantage. While it is easy to say this had nothing to do with football and that PSU coaches and administration didn't doing anything to get a competitive advantage, they covered all of this up (not to necessarily save Sandusky's ass, but) to keep from putting the program at a competitive disadvantage (which bringing this public 12 years ago would have still done, although not to THIS extent)
which IMO is the same thing.

[

QUOTE=VTscores;2172385]Particularly since you get a recruiting advantage in terms of numbers, and almost every other team is doing the same thing, with the same rationale.[/QUOTE]

You also have look at it like a recruiting advantage this year=a disadvantage next year. The coaches may end up taking a player or two that they have looked at before and that. On facts THEM ( which has already been made clear). Why would they waste time evaluating players and be-bopping around campus chasing players that they either know nothing about or aren't interested in VT. It's not like this is Alabama where any second stringer they have. Luke possibly start for many D1 teams. Penn States recruits and players are comperable to what Beams has in BBurg.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A local sports personality said it very well yesterday. That this is both a football issue as well as a moral issue. Most NCAA sanctions come because teams are doing something outside of the rules to get a competing advantage. While it is easy to say this had nothing to do with football and that PSU coaches and administration didn't doing anything to get a competitive advantage, they covered all of this up (not to necessarily save Sandusky's ass, but) to keep from putting the program at a competitive disadvantage (which bringing this public 12 years ago would have still done, although not to THIS extent)
which IMO is the same thing.

Particularly since you get a recruiting advantage in terms of numbers, and almost every other team is doing the same thing, with the same rationale.

You also have look at it like a recruiting advantage this year=a disadvantage next year. The coaches may end up taking a player or two that they have looked at before and that contacts THEM ( which has already been made clear). Why would they waste time evaluating players and be-bopping around campus chasing players that they either know nothing about or aren't interested in VT. It's not like this is Alabama where any second stringer they have. Luke possibly start for many D1 teams. Penn States recruits and players are comperable to what Beams has in BBurg.[/QUOTE]

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I guess they're bringing the bus.

UGA informed Penn State of intent to contact 19 players

Freeking vultures.

Of the 19, 12 have already committed to staying, so why bother?

Thats just wrong IMO

If that report is true, it does seem a bit extreme.

This is the update:

UPDATE -- 5:23 p.m.
Very soon after this report appeared Friday afternoon, Mark Richt released a statement through UGA Sports Communications that said the following ...

"Currently, Georgia is not pursuing any of Penn State's football players. We wish Coach O'Brien and the players the best."

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3