• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Penn State

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Wow .. gandering at their current roster and there's only one kid from the state of Virginia on the roster. considering the talent in this state, says a lot about VT/UVA recruiting and maybe more on penn state's fall from greatness over the last number of years. JoePa's best days were way behind him I think.

How bout this guy? We recruited him..Any guesses on who is'a calling CFB?

Donovan Smith - Yahoo! Sports

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Throwing out upperclassmen (as far as eligibility goes) and you can also probably throw out anyone from PA, NY, NJ ... there aren't many options to snoop around for OL ... but of course, I've just scratched the surface and there are many more things that come into play.

Querying VT prospects over the last number of years who committed to Penn State -- there weren't many that REALLY stood out ... especially in the DB area .. Eugene Lewis, Zwinak .. and these two offensive lineman:

OL Khamrone Kolb Burke, Virginia
Lake Braddock
6'6" 300 5.1
3 stars

Donovan Smith, Owings Mills, Maryland
6'5" 270
4 stars

I noticed that Kolb wasn't on the PSU roster and dug around and found this:
Offensive lineman leaving Penn State | CollegeFootballTalk
hmmmm ... doubt we even make contact but I bet that he's looking at D1 schools .. but honestly, if he wasn't even breaking the depth chart at PSU, maybe he hasn't developed so well...just burning time

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
from hokies journal...

To clarify Beamer's comment, I'm told two high school coaches of PSU players contacted the #Hokies gauging VT's interest

I am sure there is mutual interest on both sides. Not sure if we end up with any of these guys but if anything happens, I would think it would be the very near future (next couple weeks???). I am still holding out hope for Eugene Lewis and Dorian Johnson. I think we rcruited them both pretty hard. I still say Zwinak could be a short term contributor in the backfield (FB) too..I believe he would be a junior this year so he wouldn't have but a couple years of eligibility left...

Stupid question..I assume that the provision that the NCAA is throwing out there (concerning schollie limits being fudged for PSU transfers) applies only to kids that are currently enrolled and on their football team correct? I would say that would definetely not apply to this year's signing class ('13) correct?? I would think that even the guys from ('12) that are starting with the team soon are included in that provision???

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am sure there is mutual interest on both sides. Not sure if we end up with any of these guys but if anything happens, I would think it would be the very near future (next couple weeks???). I am still holding out hope for Eugene Lewis and Dorian Johnson. I think we rcruited them both pretty hard. I still say Zwinak could be a short term contributor in the backfield (FB) too..I believe he would be a junior this year so he wouldn't have but a couple years of eligibility left...

Stupid question..I assume that the provision that the NCAA is throwing out there (concerning schollie limits being fudged for PSU transfers) applies only to kids that are currently enrolled and on their football team correct? I would say that would definetely not apply to this year's signing class ('13) correct?? I would think that even the guys from ('12) that are starting with the team soon are included in that provision???

I think Zwinak will be a redshirt sophomore this football season. And if Johnson leaves he will most likely be down to tOSU, Pitt, and WVU from what I understand.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Throwing out upperclassmen (as far as eligibility goes) and you can also probably throw out anyone from PA, NY, NJ ... there aren't many options to snoop around for OL ... but of course, I've just scratched the surface and there are many more things that come into play.

Querying VT prospects over the last number of years who committed to Penn State -- there weren't many that REALLY stood out ... especially in the DB area .. Eugene Lewis, Zwinak .. and these two offensive lineman:

OL Khamrone Kolb Burke, Virginia
Lake Braddock
6'6" 300 5.1
3 stars

Donovan Smith, Owings Mills, Maryland
6'5" 270
4 stars

I noticed that Kolb wasn't on the PSU roster and dug around and found this:
Offensive lineman leaving Penn State | CollegeFootballTalk
hmmmm ... doubt we even make contact but I bet that he's looking at D1 schools .. but honestly, if he wasn't even breaking the depth chart at PSU, maybe he hasn't developed so well...just burning time

Kolb has already transferred to Fordham and Smith tweeted today he isn't leaving.

Whatsupppppppp

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I

Applies to all players, any class. You can apply toward this years 25 signing class, if you have room, or, if at 25 already, can go over. Does that answer your question?

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Where did you see anyone say anything like that, crackhead? It seems that there are plenty of guys here, myself included, that would be happy with our coaches looking for additional OL.

My question was more of a general one. Of course PSU has some good players, but the media is making it out to look like there will be a mass exodus of guys and coaches are circling like hawks, but its not like they have 20-30 guys talented enough that they could just walk into another starting job in a major conference. I would expect the majority of the guys in those positions to stay

Yeah sure that's what you meant. I can see how "I doubt they're any good" translates into that. OL is probably not the only position where they could upgrade us. Last 2-3 classes of theirs? Plenty there

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Applies to all players, any class. You can apply toward this years 25 signing class, if you have room, or, if at 25 already, can go over. Does that answer your question?

Yeah, I think so. So you are saying (just for instance Lee Gracie..don't get too excited) we could sign Hackenberg (who has already verbally committed to PSU..but not "signed")and go one scholarship over our limit, to be reduced by one next year (I got that part)?? If so, that wouldn't make any sense for a kid who hasn't even signed with PSU yet...he could just flip his commitment, like half of the 4-5 star kids do at least once anyway.

Whatsupppppppp

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kolb has already transferred to Fordham and Smith tweeted today he isn't leaving.

Very quick look at twitter shows these guys have also declared they will stay.

Garry Gilliam
Bill Belton
Adrian Amos
Nate Cadogan
Deion Barnes
K Carter
Allen Robinson

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah sure that's what you meant. I can see how "I doubt they're any good" translates into that. OL is probably not the only position where they could upgrade us. Last 2-3 classes of theirs? Plenty there

Who on the PSU roster do you have in mind??

Whatsupppppppp

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I think so. So you are saying (just for instance Lee Gracie..don't get too excited) we could sign Hackenberg (who has already verbally committed to PSU..but not "signed")and go one scholarship over our limit, to be reduced by one next year (I got that part)?? If so, that wouldn't make any sense for a kid who hasn't even signed with PSU yet...he could just flip his commitment, like half of the 4-5 star kids do at least once anyway.

Yes, he could just flip and count against this years quota, or you can go over 25 and count him towards next years. The benefit would be going to 86 this year if you take 26 this year, BUT, if you did that, you would be capped next year at 24/84.

The 84 is a big negative if you do that.

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Who on the PSU roster do you have in mind??

Besides the players already mentioned I have no clue. All I know is that I hope it is being looked into by VT staff because you can bet everyone else is

Hokie Swagger

@hokieswagger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very quick look at twitter shows these guys have also declared they will stay.

Garry Gilliam
Bill Belton
Adrian Amos
Nate Cadogan
Deion Barnes
K Carter
Allen Robinson

mcgloin is staying, not like he's good enough to play anywhere else though

Whatsupppppppp

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
mcgloin is staying, not like he's good enough to play anywhere else though

Yes, Ive heard that over 30 have committed to stay.

add to that list

Michael Zordich
Mike Mauti
Matt McGloin

Rocco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Taking players from PSU feels like legalized grave robbery.