• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

TDL 2024 Thread

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LA, EDM and COL Would be the only teams out west in the hunt that could use a goalie

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So now that PLD was going to Boston, how great has the treatment of a guy you just signed to 8 years? Beat him down since day 1, i guess we deserve what we get

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So crazy thing, supposedly Bruins had a deal in place for Ulmark but was nixed by his ntc....supposedly Ulmark didnt want to go west

Reportedly so, the team involved also wasn't LA.

I'd still target Swayman this summer since he will be an RFA. He also went to Arbitration and almost every single Bruin that does - either willingly or team files - over the last 20+ years leaves Boston a short time later, usually within 2 years.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reportedly so, the team involved also wasn't LA.

I'd still target Swayman this summer since he will be an RFA. He also went to Arbitration and almost every single Bruin that does - either willingly or team files - over the last 20+ years leaves Boston a short time later, usually within 2 years.

I think it was LA...

I too would go after Swayman, my #1 target

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well they confirmed it wasn't, just wondering who it may have been. I didn't buy that whole thing anyway, Bowlby ain't going to trade his PLD plus assets not even 1 year after acquiring him and giving him a $68 million contract.

I'm sure they kicked the tires but I highly doubt it was ever anything serious although PLD has a NTC I believe that kicks in in June so now would be the time if they were serious but I never believed they were.

Swayman will be a King this summer, book it. I sense Draft Floor blockbuster.

Updated TDL link, better than that ESPN one. No idea what I was thinking posting that POS site.

Boston finally gives up on Zboril, he was picked 13th overall in 2015 which was the Kings' pick sent to Boston in the Lucic trade. They had numbers 13-15 and basically got DeBrusk out of those 3, reminds me of 2003 when the Kings had three 1st rounders (13, 26, 27) and only Brown turned out.

Tambellini was a complete bust and Boyle had a serviceable yet B6 career. Kings could have had Getzlaf or Perry or maybe both, they completed shanked that draft which is arguably one of the best in NHL history.

histkng23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well they confirmed it wasn't, just wondering who it may have been. I didn't buy that whole thing anyway, Bowlby ain't going to trade his PLD plus assets not even 1 year after acquiring him and giving him a $68 million contract.

I'm sure they kicked the tires but I highly doubt it was ever anything serious although PLD has a NTC I believe that kicks in in June so now would be the time if they were serious but I never believed they were.

Swayman will be a King this summer, book it. I sense Draft Floor blockbuster.

Updated TDL link, better than that ESPN one. No idea what I was thinking posting that POS site.

Boston finally gives up on Zboril, he was picked 13th overall in 2015 which was the Kings' pick sent to Boston in the Lucic trade. They had numbers 13-15 and basically got DeBrusk out of those 3, reminds me of 2003 when the Kings had three 1st rounders (13, 26, 27) and only Brown turned out.

Tambellini was a complete bust and Boyle had a serviceable yet B6 career. Kings could have had Getzlaf or Perry or maybe both, they completed shanked that draft which is arguably one of the best in NHL history.

Starting with the 2001 Draft, you can look back and see that the scouting department Taylor had in place for the Kings (Al Murray) really wasn't up to par on making selections. But 2003-2005, when compared to the overall depth of those specific drafts, looks especially bad.

While the Kings did select Brown @ #13 in 2003, they were pushing hard for Hugh Jessiman, whom the NYR selected at #12. Injuries derailed his career, so Kings got "lucky" by "settling" with Brown. At #26 & #27, this is where their general philosophy at that time failed them. Taylor was apt to selecting NCAA/European players in the first round, due to the ability to wait 4 years to negotiate an Entry Level contract, as opposed to the required 2 year window with players coming out of Canadian Major Junior. Was a too conservative philosophy, imo, as it clearly didn't succeed. Players like Boyle & Tambellini were chosen over players like Perry, Bergeron, and even Loui Eriksson.

2004 Draft was where it looked like the scouting department was bottoming out more or less. That draft class for the Kings was reminiscent of some of the drafts of the 1980s. Nine players were selected, and they played a combined 86 games in the NHL. Tukonen at @#12 only played 5 games, and by the time Deano came along, no other organization was willing to take him off the Kings hands, so he left to go back to Finland.

2005 Draft, the Hockey Gods gave the Kings a major gift, by allowing Kopitar to slide from a projected top 3 pick, to them at #11, all due to organizations being nervous about him coming from Slovenia which hadn't produced any NHL players before. Nevermind he had mostly been playing in Sweden for his underage years. But then, they backed up that selection by taking an overage player that was originally drafted in the 7th round (!) two years prior. Dany Roussin was a linemate of Sidney Crosby in junior, and because of that, had overwhelmingly inflated stats, which clearly was a factor used to justify taking him that high in the draft. Skating was his major flaw, and it proved to be too much for him to overcome.

Now, the one true gem I will give Taylor & Co. grace for drafting, was taking Quick in the 3rd round of that 2005 Draft. But, I still feel strongly that his development was enhanced by the structure that Dean infused into the organization when he came in. His philosophy of focusing on goaltending & defense as priorities when building a team, put more focus on developing those players as the strength of the club.This provided Quick the right type of voices surrounding him to cultivate his abilities and grow him into the franchise goalie the organization never had before.

This, in comparision to Blake & Taylor focusing more on forwards, and specifically centermen, have not proven to be a reliable direction of drafting to build a pipeline of youth, imo. Hopefully, AEG will come to the realization of this seemingly failed path, and send Blake packing at the end of the year. Blake clearly doesn't have the ability to analyze players correctly, and it has forced the organization to regress back to the era of them being constant middle of the pack organization. You can get by with picking the "best player available" in the first rounds, but the 2nd & 3rd rounds are where true abilities to balance your teams out with quality character players shine through. Blake's track record of selections in these rounds have not solidified the farm system, and caused them to hang on to players for too long (JAD, Thomas, Fagemo), when they should have been regular contributors by now, or at the very least, traded. Glaring (imo) examples, showing that Blake is over his head.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im glad we didnt overspend for something the Kings font need....unfortunately it tells me Blake doesnt feel any heat

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What could he really do though? The big move was last summer getting PLD.

This is what they are rolling with into April barring a fall out of the POs, now that the cap doesn't matter getting some guys back will be huge.

I'm glad he stood pat, but you know he was itching to make a deal where he gets hosed.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What could he really do though? The big move was last summer getting PLD.

This is what they are rolling with into April barring a fall out of the POs, now that the cap doesn't matter getting some guys back will be huge.

I'm glad he stood pat, but you know he was itching to make a deal where he gets hosed.

Thays my point tho, if Blake was feeling any pressure he would have done something stupid trying to hit a home run to save his ass.

The reality is there are a few big changes needed to be a serious PO team, thats not to say when healthy and on their game they arent good. Most teams that win can usually out muscle you in a few different ways, Kings have 0 beef

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So awesome to see Englund rag doll that dude the other night. I wish that attitude permeated the locker room.

I too believe they aren't a true contender, it would have been nice to beef up that fourth line. Going in with The Lizard, it's going to be one and done again no matter who they play.

xis

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Starting with the 2001 Draft, you can look back and see that the scouting department Taylor had in place for the Kings (Al Murray) really wasn't up to par on making selections. But 2003-2005, when compared to the overall depth of those specific drafts, looks especially bad.

While the Kings did select Brown @ #13 in 2003, they were pushing hard for Hugh Jessiman, whom the NYR selected at #12. Injuries derailed his career, so Kings got "lucky" by "settling" with Brown. At #26 & #27, this is where their general philosophy at that time failed them. Taylor was apt to selecting NCAA/European players in the first round, due to the ability to wait 4 years to negotiate an Entry Level contract, as opposed to the required 2 year window with players coming out of Canadian Major Junior. Was a too conservative philosophy, imo, as it clearly didn't succeed. Players like Boyle & Tambellini were chosen over players like Perry, Bergeron, and even Loui Eriksson.

2004 Draft was where it looked like the scouting department was bottoming out more or less. That draft class for the Kings was reminiscent of some of the drafts of the 1980s. Nine players were selected, and they played a combined 86 games in the NHL. Tukonen at @#12 only played 5 games, and by the time Deano came along, no other organization was willing to take him off the Kings hands, so he left to go back to Finland.

2005 Draft, the Hockey Gods gave the Kings a major gift, by allowing Kopitar to slide from a projected top 3 pick, to them at #11, all due to organizations being nervous about him coming from Slovenia which hadn't produced any NHL players before. Nevermind he had mostly been playing in Sweden for his underage years. But then, they backed up that selection by taking an overage player that was originally drafted in the 7th round (!) two years prior. Dany Roussin was a linemate of Sidney Crosby in junior, and because of that, had overwhelmingly inflated stats, which clearly was a factor used to justify taking him that high in the draft. Skating was his major flaw, and it proved to be too much for him to overcome.

Now, the one true gem I will give Taylor & Co. grace for drafting, was taking Quick in the 3rd round of that 2005 Draft. But, I still feel strongly that his development was enhanced by the structure that Dean infused into the organization when he came in. His philosophy of focusing on goaltending & defense as priorities when building a team, put more focus on developing those players as the strength of the club.This provided Quick the right type of voices surrounding him to cultivate his abilities and grow him into the franchise goalie the organization never had before.

This, in comparision to Blake & Taylor focusing more on forwards, and specifically centermen, have not proven to be a reliable direction of drafting to build a pipeline of youth, imo. Hopefully, AEG will come to the realization of this seemingly failed path, and send Blake packing at the end of the year. Blake clearly doesn't have the ability to analyze players correctly, and it has forced the organization to regress back to the era of them being constant middle of the pack organization. You can get by with picking the "best player available" in the first rounds, but the 2nd & 3rd rounds are where true abilities to balance your teams out with quality character players shine through. Blake's track record of selections in these rounds have not solidified the farm system, and caused them to hang on to players for too long (JAD, Thomas, Fagemo), when they should have been regular contributors by now, or at the very least, traded. Glaring (imo) examples, showing that Blake is over his head.

This should be posted somewhere so that it gets more eyes on it. Exactly spot on. I swear you used AI to write this ;-) Kidding of course.

If I may just add one more point. The development team has gone way down since Blake took over also. Some of it wasn't his fault. Dusty Imoo posted his opinion on social media and had to be canned for it. Imoo was widely regarded as the goaltender whisper and the Kings haven't come close to developing a goaltender since.

Kings not to revamp the development department as much as they need to revamp the scouting departments.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kings not to revamp the development department as much as they need to revamp the scouting departments.

Also spot on. I've mentioned it 100x over, look at the track record from when Dumbo took over in 2006 to now. Very obvious steady decline in producing players, especially under Blake.

Then you have the misidentified prospects like Cernak and Middleton, mid to late round picks who were groomed and developed elsewhere but hanging on too long to guys like JAD and Fagemo. Middleton is an anomaly, he was 2014 Mr. Irrelevant so expectations were obviously extremely low yet Minnesota developed him well somehow.

Al Murray was also let go in that 2006 house cleaning but resurrected his career in Tampa as well as with Team Canada, so what exactly changed?

Yanetti was very good up until about 2012 but not much since, the biggest name being Kempe and even that took 7-8 years. It's been downhill since for about 12 years.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even by accident you could do better than this. Its like they base all decisions on stats and analytics but spend 0 time actually watching the film of these guys. I think you need all of it to get a solid picture of whats going on

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's exactly why he overspends on free agency and trades. They cannot develop home grown talent, so he flips them for veterans. Which is fine if it's a side piece, like adding necessary players (Carter, Richards, Gaborik, etc) but you have to have a core in place who are young, good or on the upswing and on affordable contracts whether than be ELCs or seconds contracts. That blueprint from Dumbo brought us fans 2 Cups.

This ultimately costs you prospects, good players and overpayments in cash. It's exactly why this is a middling team that is cashed out and has a gutted prospect pipeline full of the Fagemos and Helenius' of the world.

I think the Kings will make the POs, I think they'll hang onto WC1 or WC2. I didn't feel that way 2 weeks ago. But the way this team is built, it'll be 1 and out again. In which case Blake needs to be absolutely fired. How do you max out a team and not be a true contender?

You can't have a capped out WC1 or WC2 team.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On another note who could this Legend be:

"No. We’re not sure when he’s going to skate.”

Asked if this means he’s had a setback he replied:

“No. I say that, it could be tomorrow. Could be Wednesday, Thursday. Let’s say we hope he skates this week."

A coach When asked about someone who hasnt played in 11 days

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Speaking of Anson Carter. Wants to bring a team back to Atlanta

Because it worked so well the first two times (Atlanta Flames became the Calgary Flames in 1980 and then obviously the Thrashers becoming Jets V2.0 in 2011).

Atlanta is a great sports city, just not for hockey. Carter must have too much money sitting around.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of the Jets 2.0....i guess i read there is some concern with someones durability....crazy, he gets on track ....boom goes down, set backs....comes back...repeat since forever