• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Penguins GDT/GNT's week 16 (Jan 18 - Jan 24)

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While the Pens may make the playoffs and be heavy disappointments again

It's still a bit early to be digging the Pens grave for games that will be played in May. I'm expecting a different team when Hornqvist and Comeau are returned to the lineup. Spaling can return to the bottom six, Comeau as well, and Hornqvist can return to working the blue paint on the powerplay.

Really, my biggest concern is for Letang. If he's out for an extended period of time, they will suffer in the standings.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure this team is constructed right, I know if JR's first year, and he's still living with the sins of Shero. But the system has no one with grit and size to play a bottom six role effectively. You watch Philly, NYI, and even the Rangers and they use their 4th line as momentum shifters.

The best the Pens 4th line can do is not get scored on.

Also, when Hornqvist gets back, no way Kunitz should be on the first powerplay.

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team is a jumbled mess and it's evident on the PP.

I readily admit I am not an Erhoff fan and hated the signing and seems to be bearing out...that said, Perron was a good pickup as he at least gets the puck to the net, but his puck handling skills are to iffy for anything than sitting in front of the net or teeing up one timers.

Kunitz is a waste of space and could drop to the 3rd line once Korny comes back.

I really like the solid D that Harrington plays...very calming and consistent. Letang is always injured. Granted, many are due to weird shit/plays, but it is what it is...

This team needs to keep Bennett healthy as he truly is a talent.

What the hell has happened to Sutter??? Dude is non-existent!

This team seems to be lacking a sense of team and style of play. Probably due to the new staff, new teammates and constant injuries...

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, and F the Flyers... bunch of goons. I don't mind tough, physical play, but to be boastful about your dangerous hits is just crap...

Why am I not surprised though

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pens are 3-5 in January...they aren't guaranteed a playoff spot

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, they aren't guaranteed anything as far as playoffs.

But I think the shuffling of new players in an out is legitimate. Although no excuse for the powerplay, the stars are just not good pp guys, never have been.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure this team is constructed right, I know if JR's first year, and he's still living with the sins of Shero. But the system has no one with grit and size to play a bottom six role effectively. You watch Philly, NYI, and even the Rangers and they use their 4th line as momentum shifters.

The best the Pens 4th line can do is not get scored on.

Also, when Hornqvist gets back, no way Kunitz should be on the first powerplay.

See, I actually think JR has the pieces he needs in this regard, minus maybe one more big lug winger for the fourth line. Comeau is first and foremost the grit and size player that the bottom six needs. Then you add in Steve Downie, and play Sutter between them, and there is your post-season third line. It has everything you need. Solid center in Brandon Sutter. A big guy who can throw his weight around with a good shot in Comeau. And the guy who stirs the drink in Downie.

Spaling and Goc would be my fourth line, and unless JR finds someone prior to the trade deadline I think I would really consider using Farnham as the last spot RW 4th line. And of course Adams as well, *grumble*

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See, I actually think JR has the pieces he needs in this regard, minus maybe one more big lug winger for the fourth line. Comeau is first and foremost the grit and size player that the bottom six needs. Then you add in Steve Downie, and play Sutter between them, and there is your post-season third line. It has everything you need. Solid center in Brandon Sutter. A big guy who can throw his weight around with a good shot in Comeau. And the guy who stirs the drink in Downie.

Spaling and Goc would be my fourth line, and unless JR finds someone prior to the trade deadline I think I would really consider using Farnham as the last spot RW 4th line. And of course Adams as well, *grumble*

I'd like Arcobello better than Farnham on the fourth line for reason of speed. Goc and Spaling can throw their weight around well enough, and are solid defensively. Farnham can hit, but I think Arcobello's speed and skill could cause more havoc on that fourth line.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, let's not panic yet. This is Johnston's first real test of adversity in the NHL. He's proved thoughtful at other points in the season, so we'll see what sort of adjustment he makes. I'm confident he'll come up with something, and he and the team will grow for it.

I'd also consider flipping Bennett and Kunitz on the powerplay. It would let Perron be the net-front guy, and Bennett's patience might be an effective foil to Crosby and Malkin's pace.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like Arcobello better than Farnham on the fourth line for reason of speed. Goc and Spaling can throw their weight around well enough, and are solid defensively. Farnham can hit, but I think Arcobello's speed and skill could cause more havoc on that fourth line.

Who are we kidding, DS... we both know it will be #27 slotting in on that fourth line :rolleyes:

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, let's not panic yet. This is Johnston's first real test of adversity in the NHL. He's proved thoughtful at other points in the season, so we'll see what sort of adjustment he makes. I'm confident he'll come up with something, and he and the team will grow for it.

I'd also consider flipping Bennett and Kunitz on the powerplay. It would let Perron be the net-front guy, and Bennett's patience might be an effective foil to Crosby and Malkin's pace.

It's not the popular answer, and has no shot in hell of happening, but I think the best way to solve the inconsistency with the powerplay is to remove either Geno or Sid from the first unit. Split them up, and the fancy passing around the perimeter probably subsides.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not the popular answer, and has no shot in hell of happening, but I think the best way to solve the inconsistency with the powerplay is to remove either Geno or Sid from the first unit. Split them up, and the fancy passing around the perimeter probably subsides.

I can see that argument, but the way powerplay time is broken down, with the second unit not seeing much of the ice, I think it could ultimately be limiting. I do think Ehrhoff should be the defenseman on the top unit, though. He's the only one with a shot that can do any damage. And with one of Perron or Hornqvist in front of the net, that could be money.

If we do a quicker change on the powerplay, I could see splitting up Crosby and Malkin, but we can't leave the first unit out for a minute and a half if we do that, or we cost ourselves the benefit.

Maybe something like Perron-Crosby-Bennett-Letang-Ehrhoff and Kunitz-Malkin-Hornqvist-Martin-Despres? Or just go with the top two lines, whatever they may be?

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't disagree, but they are still a little light on physicality, IMO, but Comeau and Hornqvist would obviously be net positives in that regard.

Arcabello I don't know if he has a place long term. I think they need another winger though to ensure Adams doesn't see the ice, someone like Kyle Chipchura would be a good option, IMO.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see that argument, but the way powerplay time is broken down, with the second unit not seeing much of the ice, I think it could ultimately be limiting. I do think Ehrhoff should be the defenseman on the top unit, though. He's the only one with a shot that can do any damage. And with one of Perron or Hornqvist in front of the net, that could be money.

If we do a quicker change on the powerplay, I could see splitting up Crosby and Malkin, but we can't leave the first unit out for a minute and a half if we do that, or we cost ourselves the benefit.

Maybe something like Perron-Crosby-Bennett-Letang-Ehrhoff and Kunitz-Malkin-Hornqvist-Martin-Despres? Or just go with the top two lines, whatever they may be?

If they are just going to play catch between the half wall and point, might as well get the guy with the big shot in there, revert to the old pp when Gonch was still here.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they are just going to play catch between the half wall and point, might as well get the guy with the big shot in there, revert to the old pp when Gonch was still here.

Maybe that's why they do it. They learned how to run a powerplay with Gonchar, but now they don't have a Gonchar type of player out there.

They also seem to be more inclined to force the puck across the ice, but won't take a risk at going into the slot or just throwing it on net for a rebound chance, even if it might be tough to get it through. When the powerplay was clicking early in the year, they were just firing pucks into Hornqvist in the slot or in front of the net and the first possible moment, and it worked. They got away from that.

Also, Martin and Letang are good defensemen with offensive skill, but neither has a really great shot. Teams can collapse with those guys up there. If the Pens want to throw those diagonal passes, they need to expand the box a bit, and Ehrhoff could do that for them.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, old habits die hard I suppose, we are what 4 years out and they still want to play the pp like Gonch is here.

The cross ice passes are just awful, Sid is the worst offender, he needs to be planted at the goal line so he can't throw them across the ice. The worst part is if you move around those passes are naturally open, he's constantly trying to thread a needle while standing flat footed.

Agreed about the slot, they used a lot of give and go's down low when everything was clicking too.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pens are 1 for 25 on the powerplay during the current six game losing streak against Philly. I'd say that is the root of the problem. Philly is practically begging the Pens to bury them, but Pitt just cannot land the kill shot. If they score just once on any of the powerplay opportunities last night, Pens more than likely win in regulation.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, old habits die hard I suppose, we are what 4 years out and they still want to play the pp like Gonch is here.

The cross ice passes are just awful, Sid is the worst offender, he needs to be planted at the goal line so he can't throw them across the ice. The worst part is if you move around those passes are naturally open, he's constantly trying to thread a needle while standing flat footed.

Agreed about the slot, they used a lot of give and go's down low when everything was clicking too.

Thinking more about it, I think they could keep Crosby and Malkin together on the top unit without subjecting themselves to this issue. Letang and Ehrhoff on their off-sides, so each has a one-timer, Malkin on the half-wall, Crosby at the right side of the net, Perron or Hornqvist on the left. The far side player pops into the slot as a one-time option.

Run the umbrella they ran with Gonchar, Ehrhoff in the center, Letang on the left, Malkin on the right. All three can have one-timers, and Crosby and a handsy righty are always in front of the net for rebounds. Three one-time options up high, one from the slot on each side of the ice, and at least one person in position for rebounds and deflections. You have the simple get-it-to-the-net plays, as well as some tic-tac-toe options, like half-wall to guy on the goal line to the slot if they cover the pass straight in.

Kunitz-Sutter-Bennett is the second unit, and they can do basically the same thing with Martin and Despres up top, just flipped to account for different handedness. Bennett on the opposite half-wall, Despres in the middle, Martin where Malkin was, Sutter and Kunitz as the goal line guys.

Although this means one of Hornqvist or Perron wouldn't be on either unit, so maybe sub out Sutter on teh second unit for the one of those two not on the first unit if there isn't a faceoff to be won.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I'm not sure a system in which Perron or Hornqvist is left out is a good idea. Those two are their best two wingers on the pp. I'd leave Kunitz out before one of those two.