• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Penguins GDT/GNT's week 16 (Jan 18 - Jan 24)

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's nice actually watching a hockey game tonight.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh man, I thought Sid had that one. Crawford got the bare minimum of it to deflect it off the post. Great shift from that line there, too, solid in the defensive zone to move it up, set up the pressure, get a good look.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perron's had a couple golden looks at the net this period. Can't seem to bury it, though.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Craig Adams out there at the end of the game against the Toews unit, by choice, awful decision by HCMJ. At least it wasn't Adams and Sill like last night though.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good point I suppose, but they need to start winning games.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beat Crawford on the shootout too, off the post, of course, not his night.

Yup, which is a shame, because the top line was the most dangerous offensively, and if he buries one of those, the Pens win the game in regulation.

Also, I really liked Goc-Arcobello-Downie. I hope they keep those three together when everyone's healthy. Arcobello's speed, Downie's physicality, and Goc's all-around tough game really complement each other well.

I think Pouliot's up to stay, as well. He really seemed to have his head in a good place tonight, and I hope this means he's past the jitters of his first NHL action. He can just do so many good things with the puck, even if he's not tremendous defensively yet. He's good enough in his own end if he plays like he did tonight, and he can really boost the offense from the blue line if he plays like he did tonight moving forward, which he certainly has the talent to do. I like him better than anyone else to fill the void left by Maatta's absence.

Next year, I think he fills Martin's role. They're similar in style, Martin a bit more polished defensively, and perhaps a slightly better skater, but Pouliot just so much better and more dangerous with the puck on his stick. Might not be a bad idea to give him some looks on the powerplay as well. He certainly has the offensive savvy for it.

Another positive is that Scuderi continues to look better and better throughout the season. He's a completely different player than he was last year, and now not only will I probably not call for him to be scratched, I'd consider scratching him a bad move. There's the obvious benefit in the now that he's contributing positively to the team and setting a good example for the young guys, but he might make himself a tradeable asset for the offseason to free up money for wingers and to cover raises, as well as roster spots for the young defensemen as they become NHL ready.

The big problem with the team remains their finish. Tonight, I loved their game, getting pucks to the net, calm and responsible in their own end, playing a puck possession game with all four lines in the offensive side, all the elements you want to see consistently from the club moving forward. But they're still not finishing enough, wasting too many opportunities to bury goals and their opponent. If they correct that coming out of the break, they'll be golden. If they don't things will be a struggle. Getting two more guys back who have shown this season they can finish in Hornqvist and Comeau will help, but the guys on the ice now need to do it better, too.

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really want to feel good about last nights game but I don't...the Flower seemed off again and it showed in the shootout. The team played well for the second period and that was it...Some bright spots and a lot of meh...

I think I need the All Star Break to recalibrate myself!

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obvious drawback to Pouliot is that he is 5'11", not a lot of guys who are that size end up being true #1 defensemen, not for a lack of trying though. Would gladly take a Dan Boyle/Alex Goligoski/Brian Campbell out of him. I hope he is here to stay, they could really use him with Maata out for the year.

Goc - Arcabello - Downie, I despise small 4th lines, but that 4th line can play hockey so I think it could work. Unfortunately, subbing in Adams or Sill or Ebbett in one of those slots makes the line pretty useless, its a delicate balance.

Burghfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really want to feel good about last nights game but I don't...the Flower seemed off again and it showed in the shootout. The team played well for the second period and that was it...Some bright spots and a lot of meh...

I think I need the All Star Break to recalibrate myself!

:agree: Need a break from hockey and pick it up again after the All Star Game.