• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Paul George to Celtics??

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That doesn't make any sense. Would you have passed on Durant? Prior to signing with GSW -- he'd won nothing.

The NBA has changed -- if you don't have AT LEAST two stars on your team, you aren't winning anything. If you don't have at least three stars on your team, your odds of winning a NBA title is very low.

Hell -- I posted this in another thread -- since 1980, every NBA champion has had a past, present or future MVP on the team, but Detroit in 89, Detroit in 90 and Detroit in '04. Paul George is a great player, but he isn't on the same level as the Lebron's, Durant's, Curry, etc. He needs other stars to team up with him if he wants a chance to make a run at a title.

To an extent, I agree with Dorian (which I'm a bit ashamed to admit, because he's got some pretty ridiculous viewpoints).

Paul George is very much overrated -- but that doesn't mean he isn't a very good player and it doesn't mean he couldn't be the perfect player to complement the remainder of the Celtics roster. If Boston were to put together a roster with Horford/Hayward/George and some combination of their existing guards, they'd be a really tough team to beat. Sure, they likely would not surpass Golden State but I'd give them a chance to topple Cleveland. And if Golden State has an injury or something go wrong or some rapid decline by one of its players that no one could have expected, Boston could possibly pull a championship out.

Back to him being overrated, I pretty consistently see him ranked in the 6-10 range in the NBA and I think he's really in the 16-25 range.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Paul George to the Cavs for another title run makes the most sense.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To an extent, I agree with Dorian (which I'm a bit ashamed to admit, because he's got some pretty ridiculous viewpoints).

Paul George is very much overrated -- but that doesn't mean he isn't a very good player and it doesn't mean he couldn't be the perfect player to complement the remainder of the Celtics roster. If Boston were to put together a roster with Horford/Hayward/George and some combination of their existing guards, they'd be a really tough team to beat. Sure, they likely would not surpass Golden State but I'd give them a chance to topple Cleveland. And if Golden State has an injury or something go wrong or some rapid decline by one of its players that no one could have expected, Boston could possibly pull a championship out.

Back to him being overrated, I pretty consistently see him ranked in the 6-10 range in the NBA and I think he's really in the 16-25 range.

The reason George is so valuable is -- he gets it done on both sides of the floor. He has been named to 1st or 2nd all-defense 3 times already.

He isn't on par with the truly elite players and never will be, but what he gives you is one of the best two way players in the NBA.

I can see George in the bottom of some top 10 lists, but comfortably, id put him in the top 15. Pair him up with other superstars and I think he will only get better. He will never be a guy to carry a team, but there are only 3 or 4 guys in the NBA who could and two of them are on the same team.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Paul George to the Cavs for another title run makes the most sense.

Exactly. Makes too much sense for it not to happen. Cavs want to go all in for one more run. Indy doesn't want to get left at the altar with nothing in return when PG leaves next year. Finding a third team to take on Kevin Love is the key.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Indy can't be picky. Once PG announced he was leaving after the season, they lost all leverage and now they are just trying to get something for him.

I think the Jokic/Love pairing could work. They'd make it miserable for opposing teams defense by stretching the floor and making them guard to the 3 point line.

I agree defensively they wouldn't be the best pairing, but in the NBA, very few teams these days are pounding the ball into the post to their big man.

In all honesty -- many teams are just trying to make it interesting for their fans right now, as they know who will be in the NBA finals already. I think the move would at least make it fun to watch for the Nugget fans.

I agree with that.

They could be a 45-50 win team with Love.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. Makes too much sense for it not to happen. Cavs want to go all in for one more run. Indy doesn't want to get left at the altar with nothing in return when PG leaves next year. Finding a third team to take on Kevin Love is the key.

Which shouldn't be that hard. Love is a really good player.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The challenge is that most teams who would be interested in Love do not have the type of future assets that the Pacers would want.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The challenge is that most teams who would be interested in Love do not have the type of future assets that the Pacers would want.

The Pacers are likely to get pennies on the dollar given George screwing them.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Pacers are likely to get pennies on the dollar given George screwing them.

I agree.

Which is also why they should be patient and let this thing play out a bit. There are clearly multiple teams interested. If they wait a bit they can allow them to outbid one another. Most of the deals bein offered now will likely still be there in a couple months.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree.

Which is also why they should be patient and let this thing play out a bit. There are clearly multiple teams interested. If they wait a bit they can allow them to outbid one another. Most of the deals bein offered now will likely still be there in a couple months.

I think it depends on how many teams are willing to take a rental on him. If the Cavs are the only serious contender then they may be most willing to do this in the offseason rather than waiting until the middle of the year to shake up a team contending for a title.

If it is the Lakers or Celtics then they may be more willing to deal in the middle of the season but I doubt they would offer more than a Kevin Love level trade.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Exactly -- What team with young players/draft picks wants to build around Kevin Love? And what team that could potentially use Kevin Love to compete now has the requisite assets to land him? I don't see much of a market for him . . . but if the price is low, I suppose there are some teams that would take a chance on him.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN is reporting this morning that there has been a deal discussed between the Cavs, Nuggets and Pacers.
ESPN says that Cleveland gets Farried and George, Cleveland sends Farried and Love to Denver and the Pacers get a bunch of picks.

Personally, I can't see this as beneficial at all to Indy. If Cleveland is giving them 1st round picks, they would be in the late 20s and basically worthless. If the Nuggets are giving them the same, those picks would be in the teens, and again they're worthless.

The supposed deal with the Celtics would be the best for the Pacers. They'd be getting at least two lottery picks and a couple of 'decent' players. The only team that benefits from the 3 team deal is Cleveland.

My other question is this........Who's making this "Deal" for Cleveland? LeBron? They don't have a GM right now.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly -- What team with young players/draft picks wants to build around Kevin Love? And what team that could potentially use Kevin Love to compete now has the requisite assets to land him? I don't see much of a market for him . . . but if the price is low, I suppose there are some teams that would take a chance on him.

Teams that I could definitely see being interested in Love.

Celtics
Jazz
Clippers
Spurs

Does that mean any of them will go for him? No. But they could all use a player like Love

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN is reporting this morning that there has been a deal discussed between the Cavs, Nuggets and Pacers.
ESPN says that Cleveland gets Farried and George, Cleveland sends Farried and Love to Denver and the Pacers get a bunch of picks.

Personally, I can't see this as beneficial at all to Indy. If Cleveland is giving them 1st round picks, they would be in the late 20s and basically worthless. If the Nuggets are giving them the same, those picks would be in the teens, and again they're worthless.

The supposed deal with the Celtics would be the best for the Pacers. They'd be getting at least two lottery picks and a couple of 'decent' players. The only team that benefits from the 3 team deal is Cleveland.

My other question is this........Who's making this "Deal" for Cleveland? LeBron? They don't have a GM right now.

If the Celtics are willing to deal their two extra 1st round picks for George then the Pacers should make that trade immediately.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Cleveland's former GM already had the groundwork laid with multiple teams for trade talks and he left that information with the Cavs front office. So it isn't as if these deals are being drawn up from the ground floor.

With the Celtics -- NO CHANCE they give up two lottery picks for a one year rental and George has already said he plans on going to LA next year. Very few players could get him to change his mind and none of them play on Boston. Lebron is about the only guy I could see talking him into signing a 4 year deal, because with Lebron, you know you will be playing with multiple superstars and challenging for a ring. Boston can't offer him that.

And from what I read about the Denver, Cleveland, Indy trade possibility. It was young players from Denver that Indy would be getting? Didn't mention who though?

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it's not the BRK picks, then meh...

If it's the rights they received from the 76ers this year, another 1st round pick of some sort, and maybe one of their young players, it's a better offer than LA offered.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Celtics are willing to deal their two extra 1st round picks for George then the Pacers should make that trade immediately.

They aren't. Boston wouldn't trade the #3 pick for Jimmy Butler and he was under team control for two years. Zero chance they give up multiple picks for a one year rental.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it's the rights they received from the 76ers this year, another 1st round pick of some sort, and maybe one of their young players, it's a better offer than LA offered.

The pick from 76ers may not convey until 2019 and SAC had a decent draft and has their 2018 pick. No guarantee that it will even be a lottery pick, especially with all the potential movement that could occur in 2018 FA.

If PG plans on extending with BOS, then one of the those BRK picks should suffice and IND should hold out until they get it.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cleveland's former GM already had the groundwork laid with multiple teams for trade talks and he left that information with the Cavs front office. So it isn't as if these deals are being drawn up from the ground floor.

With the Celtics -- NO CHANCE they give up two lottery picks for a one year rental and George has already said he plans on going to LA next year. Very few players could get him to change his mind and none of them play on Boston. Lebron is about the only guy I could see talking him into signing a 4 year deal, because with Lebron, you know you will be playing with multiple superstars and challenging for a ring. Boston can't offer him that.

And from what I read about the Denver, Cleveland, Indy trade possibility. It was young players from Denver that Indy would be getting? Didn't mention who though?

I agree completely with this. George may be willing to stay in Cleveland if Lebron stays since they would be a title contending team. Hard to picture him staying in Boston given his desire to be on the West Coast and the Celtics not being a legitimate title contender.