• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Patriots acquire Martellus Bennett

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, the more important point should be "Who went to New England with a reputation as a great deep threat, and wasnt in New England?"

Theres a bunch of those

No. There isn't.

Pretending a mediocre deep is a great deep threat and pretending a washed up WR is in their prime doesn't make either one true.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NE tried to get a couple cheap ones at the end of their careers.

They don't put resources into it, therefore they don't have it.

They got Moss on the cheap, so that was one time that they actually had a deep threat because they had one for good value.

I agree Chad and Lloyd were nearing the end, but stats the years prior to arriving in New England, do not say that they were completely done....Brady saw to it that they were

Your gonna see it this season with Martellus Bennett......He will be a virtual non factor in that system, because Brady is completely locked into Edelman and Gronk.....When those 2 went down this season for those 3 or 4 games, Brady basically turned into the white version of Geno Smith

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. There isn't.

Pretending a mediocre deep is a great deep threat and pretending a washed up WR is in their prime doesn't make either one true.

You can continue to see it as a coincidence that the production of the 2 guys mentioned drastically dropped when they went to New England

Ill dis-agree, and see it as a style and system being played, to play to the QB's strengths

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Show me a guy that left NE and was a great deep threat after?

I can't show any. Can you show me one that while in NE was a deep threat beyond Randy Moss? They have been trying to find that same magic for years and haven't been able to. It is why they have switched to the smaller inside WR's as that fits Brady's game a lot more. Again why is it so bad to say a HOF player has a weakness? I can look back at pretty much most players and do just that.

Right now in the NFL...AP has a huge fumbling problem yet I would still call him the best RB in the NFL.

Gronk is easily the best TE in the NFL but he does have an injury problem because of his size.

As I said earlier Rodgers holds onto the ball too long leading to more hits.

WR it depends who you consider the best out there. Julio Jones again another guy with injury issues

Brady has obviously made a great career with good to great TE play and the quick short route running WR's. Nothing wrong with that. He plays within his skill set and does it better than almost any in history.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Patriot way?

Martellus Bennett - TE - Patriots
The Chicago Tribune reports the Bears had "pervasive doubts" about Martellus Bennett's commitment.

Per reporter Dan Wiederer, Bennett offered "minimal effort to conform to the unselfish and focus-driven culture" the Bears are trying to instill under coach John Fox. Wiederer also confirms Bennett's late season ribs injury, which landed him on injured reserve for four games, was essentially a sham. In the end, the sides' divorce boiled down to the fact that Bennett wanted a better contract and the Bears were dead set against it. So is life for a player in a league where teams monopolize the negotiating power with non-guaranteed deals.

the bears paid him over 6 million in 2014 and 2015, which became guaranteed after his 2013 efforts, and he whined and said he was underpaid, only being the 17th highest paid tight end in football. When he signed the deal, he was the 8th highest paid TE in football with the 6 million AAV.

I am sick of the millionaires seeing more money than their entire neighborhood ever saw and then say its not enough. They do not give it back when they suck, something needs to force these players to accept what they agreed to. The only reason he became a beast was because Marshall and Jeffrey were getting doubled on the corners. When Marshall was sent away and Jeffrey hurt he was doubled, he did hardly anything.

Get your violins out Patriot fans, you are gonna hear some whine.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NE tried to get a couple cheap ones at the end of their careers.

They don't put resources into it, therefore they don't have it.

They got Moss on the cheap, so that was one time that they actually had a deep threat because they had one for good value.

Go read Aaron Dobson's NFL Draft report and you will see he was seen as a vertical threat with great hands. So to say they haven't put resources into it is just wrong.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't show any. Can you show me one that while in NE was a deep threat beyond Randy Moss? They have been trying to find that same magic for years and haven't been able to. It is why they have switched to the smaller inside WR's as that fits Brady's game a lot more.

Welker had 112 catches the year with Moss. That offense was so unstoppable because they did both. They haven't done both since because they haven't had the quality deep threat. Of course Brady is better with the shorter stuff, nearly unstoppable when his slot WRs are healthy. But that doesn't change the quality of the other WRs he's working with. They spent a lot of resources trying to rebuild that defense and get by with the minimum on the other side of the ball because they have Brady and they have Gronk.

Maybe now that the defense has been restocked with talent they'll give Brady something worthwhile to throw to on the outside. Probably not though. Adding defensive talent to the stability Brady gives them on offense is a good formula.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go read Aaron Dobson's NFL Draft report and you will see he was seen as a vertical threat with great hands. So to say they haven't put resources into it is just wrong.

What resources? A late 2nd round pick? I liked Dobson in that draft. Good hands and could track the ball, but he's not flying past people and he didn't develop. Marshall's not exactly an NFL style offense having the WR running NFL quality routes.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welker had 112 catches the year with Moss. That offense was so unstoppable because they did both. They haven't done both since because they haven't had the quality deep threat. Of course Brady is better with the shorter stuff, nearly unstoppable when his slot WRs are healthy. But that doesn't change the quality of the other WRs he's working with. They spent a lot of resources trying to rebuild that defense and get by with the minimum on the other side of the ball because they have Brady and they have Gronk.

Maybe now that the defense has been restocked with talent they'll give Brady something worthwhile to throw to on the outside. Probably not though. Adding defensive talent to the stability Brady gives them on offense is a good formula.

There is just no arguing with you. In your mind Brady has nothing to do with the fact that a deep threat has struggled to show up in NE other than Moss since Brady took over. They have put resources towards it in the past and it just hasn't worked out. You can say they only brought guys in at the end of their career but I can point to just as many that they brought in through the draft and FA in the prime of their career and still struggled. Heck Brandon LaFell. He was known as more of a deep threat type guy with Carolina. Was averaging on average 16 yards per catch with them. Comes to NE and while he had a decent first year his average per catch dropped dramatically. Same with this season. Players that come to NE usually see an increase in targets and catches which can help them to keep a decent yardage total but they see the yards per catch drop like crazy. IT is the system they run because they know what works with Brady.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is just no arguing with you. In your mind Brady has nothing to do with the fact that a deep threat has struggled to show up in NE other than Moss since Brady took over. They have put resources towards it in the past and it just hasn't worked out. You can say they only brought guys in at the end of their career but I can point to just as many that they brought in through the draft and FA in the prime of their career and still struggled. Heck Brandon LaFell. He was known as more of a deep threat type guy with Carolina. Was averaging on average 16 yards per catch with them. Comes to NE and while he had a decent first year his average per catch dropped dramatically. Same with this season. Players that come to NE usually see an increase in targets and catches which can help them to keep a decent yardage total but they see the yards per catch drop like crazy. IT is the system they run because they know what works with Brady.

Brady fans all suffer from this

Instead of admitting the man has some shortcomings, it's easier to make endless excuses for him. No matter who they bring in as a wideout that doesn't flourish in that system, it will be the receiver to blame, not the system and certainly not the QB

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We was a backup. Granted, it was to Witten, but at best, he was an up-and-comer. The Bears paid the going rate for an about-to-be "known" player. It certainly wasn't a top TE contract.

And forgive me for wording it the way I did..."far superior", I just think the dude's a beast. 6' 6", 280 and can run and catch like a WR.

The Pats will enjoy having him. That's all I was trying to convey.

No need to get bechy
You are missing the season with the Giants.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Instead of admitting the man has some shortcomings, it's easier to make endless excuses for him. No matter who they bring in as a wideout that doesn't flourish in that system, it will be the receiver to blame, not the system and certainly not the QB

I don't get why it is so hard to admit that even a HOF player can have some shortcomings. It doesn't take away from their greatness it just shows they know themselves well and play within their ability. I mean the Pats have won 4 Super Bowls without a deep threat option. So obviously they can be successful without it.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get why it is so hard to admit that even a HOF player can have some shortcomings. It doesn't take away from their greatness it just shows they know themselves well and play within their ability. I mean the Pats have won 4 Super Bowls without a deep threat option. So obviously they can be successful without it.
THIS!!! It's basically insecurity. It would be bad enough if it were just the inability to take any criticism of Brady. What makes it insanely over the top is the complete inability to see any other QB complimented without feeling the need to knock him down as if it is a reflection on Brady...It's pathological...

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

In one exhibit we have a successful Randy Moss. In another exhibit we have a bunch of scrubs who haven't done jack anywhere else after. Did you watch LaFell this year? Dude couldn't catch. He dropped plenty of deep stuff.

Of course the system matters. Brady is so unstoppable on the short stuff that they don't use as much deep stuff and barely put any resources into the offense at all. They've only brought in one of those guys and he had one of the best years ever. Even Gronk they got on the cheap because of the injury risks (everyone knew he was a stud, but most were worried about his back). They only try to find value on the offensive side of the ball. They don't pony up resources. And that's because Brady lets them still be successful while doing that.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What makes it insanely over the top is the complete inability to see any other QB complimented without feeling the need to knock him down as if it is a reflection on Brady...It's pathological...

Who are you talking about here? I love Peyton. One of the greatest.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who are you talking about here? I love Peyton. One of the greatest.
Sigh...go back and read. Neither you nor Peyton were part of the convo...

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You just don't listen to us amongst ourselves. I actually think Brady has improved in this downfield throwing in the last few years. He used to be even worse. But he does need the time to setup and throw. He's never been an arm.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Incorrect......As a matter of fact, Randy Moss is the ONE guy that has thrived as a deep threat in the Brady era.......And Randy Moss built a HOF career with Duante Culppeper and Randall Cunningham throwing him Hail Marys'........So when you can name more than one guy that has thrived in New England as a deep threat, Ill tell you what a smart move it is for a deep threat to sign there

In 2007 Brady as much admitted, I just throw it as hard as I can and Randy runs under it.
Maybe not verbatim, but close.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You just don't listen to us amongst ourselves. I actually think Brady has improved in this downfield throwing in the last few years. He used to be even worse. But he does need the time to setup and throw. He's never been an arm.

Fair enough......