• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Patriots acquire Martellus Bennett

cerealboi

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,620.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brady doesn't throw the deep ball well. Pretty simple.

However, I reject the proposition that quarterbacks who throw the bomb well (e.g. Big Ben) are better. Especially coming from a Yankee fan that idolized a slap hitting SS for 19 years.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

However, I reject the proposition that quarterbacks who throw the bomb well (e.g. Big Ben) are better. Especially coming from a Yankee fan that idolized a slap hitting SS for 19 years.

"Slap Hitting" - Opinion of Jeter and Yankee haters

"Cant throw the deep ball" - Sentiment agreed upon by most Brady and Non Brady fans

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think any of us have said those who can throw deep are better...if anything the opposite. It is mostly just about recognizing that every QB in this league has a weakness that can be exploited. The best ones can cover it up most of the time. As I said before the Patriots have won 4 Super Bowls with Brady not throwing the deep ball. When he had the deep ball with Moss they didn't win a Super Bowl so just goes to show he has done plenty even with having that weakness in his game. I can go back and do the same with every HOF QB. They know their limitations and play within themselves. The best arm doesn't always mean the best QB. Jay Cutler is a great example of that of I would say he has one of the best arms in the entire game still to this day. He can make every throw and has touch as well as a great fast ball. The problem is he thinks too highly of himself and tries to make throws that just are not there. He will throw into triple coverage thinking his arm is just that great.

cerealboi

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,620.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think any of us have said those who can throw deep are better...if anything the opposite. It is mostly just about recognizing that every QB in this league has a weakness that can be exploited. The best ones can cover it up most of the time. As I said before the Patriots have won 4 Super Bowls with Brady not throwing the deep ball. When he had the deep ball with Moss they didn't win a Super Bowl so just goes to show he has done plenty even with having that weakness in his game. I can go back and do the same with every HOF QB. They know their limitations and play within themselves. The best arm doesn't always mean the best QB. Jay Cutler is a great example of that of I would say he has one of the best arms in the entire game still to this day. He can make every throw and has touch as well as a great fast ball. The problem is he thinks too highly of himself and tries to make throws that just are not there. He will throw into triple coverage thinking his arm is just that great.

Most of that comment was directed to my good friend Dirt*3 who has taken some rather extreme positions at the expense of poor Thomas. Brady's biggest weaknesses are lack of mobility, he tends to get happy feet when hit early in games, and his passes over 20-25 air yards tend to be lacking in the accuracy department.

Unfortunately two of those came into play during the second superbowl against the Giants, when, instead of simply running for 5 yards (that even he could have made) Brady decided to underthrow a deep ball to Gronk that was intercepted by some chump linebacker.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most of that comment was directed to my good friend Dirt*3 who has taken some rather extreme positions at the expense of poor Thomas. Brady's biggest weaknesses are lack of mobility, he tends to get happy feet when hit early in games, and his passes over 20-25 air yards tend to be lacking in the accuracy department.

Unfortunately two of those came into play during the second superbowl against the Giants, when, instead of simply running for 5 yards (that even he could have made) Brady decided to underthrow a deep ball to Gronk that was intercepted by some chump linebacker.

We saw that same thing with Manning over the last 4 years. 2 seasons ago in the playoffs he had nobody within 20 yards of him on a 3rd and 5 and instead of running decided to try and throw for the 1st down. Of course it ended poorly and we lost a game that we should have won.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Brady gets confidence in him then Gronk will be getting less passes to and this won't be a problem
I agree. Gronk is being overused. A few fewer targets should help Gronk overall.
I'm betting Gronk would like a little help out there.....

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. Gronk is being overused. A few fewer targets should help Gronk overall.
I'm betting Gronk would like a little help out there.....

and less wear and tear on the big guy

cowboys5xsbs

Surprise Motherfucker
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could be interesting if he gets used, but he is probabaly just an insurance policy for gronk.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You would think a silly statement like that would be backed up with some sort of evidence. So far you named one guy and that guy was a stud there.
This is typical dirtdirt. What can you expect? He still thinks Broke Back Mountain was the greatest movie of all time.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He throws an awful deep ball, has for a number of years now...Its no accident that its the Welkers' and Edelmans' that will always shine in a Brady offense...While the Brandon Lloyds' of the world step into retirement soon after playing in New England........From a Chance to Win standpoint, this is obviously a nice move for Martellus...From a financial standpoint, this was not.....He will be a very distant 3rd in targets in that offense.......Scott Chandler came out of Buffalo as a guy that looked like he had a lot of upside as a pass catcher...One year in New England, he cant find a job in the league (although Im sure he will)
Dirt so close but yet so far away once again. Lafell had his best year by FAR in NE. Most receptions, most yards, most TDs. Good try Hammer is proud of you.
Teams will need to game plan differently for Bennett verse Chandler. Bennett is a quality blocker, Chandler wasn't. Not sure why Chandler and Brady didn't click? I would've bet dollars to donuts Chandler would've put up much better numbers in NE. Oh well guess that's why he's still looking fof a job. I can admit when I was wrong.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chad Johnson had 831 yards in 14 games the season before he headed to NE
He had 1047 yards the year prior to that

He had 276 yards in New England....Im sure it had nothing to do with the style of offense and the QB's ability to get the ball downfield

Brandon Lloyd had 1448 yards and 966 yards the 2 years prior to going to New England, with Kyle F**** Orton throwing him the ball

He than had 911 yards in New England...

So the worst of his last 3 seasons came in New England

So
yeah
Link? Are you adding those years together? His best year was 2014, his first year with NE for 953 yds, 74 receptions and 7 TDs.We're talking Lafell not Lloyd. But even Lloyd you're wrong he never had a year of 966. His 2nd best year was with NE where he had 911 yards.
Keep it up Hammer is getting a stiffy.

Last edited:

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What resources? A late 2nd round pick? I liked Dobson in that draft. Good hands and could track the ball, but he's not flying past people and he didn't develop. Marshall's not exactly an NFL style offense having the WR running NFL quality routes.
I'll trade Dobson straight up for a bag of footballs that can maintain their psi. What a waste of a 2nd round pick. This year is his last chance to stay with NE. He needs to step up.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
THIS!!! It's basically insecurity. It would be bad enough if it were just the inability to take any criticism of Brady. What makes it insanely over the top is the complete inability to see any other QB complimented without feeling the need to knock him down as if it is a reflection on Brady...It's pathological...
Pathetic is pick #199 still at the top of his game. Still out performing many QBs drafted ahead of him. From the combine this kid should never of even had a shot. Pretty good selection by NE. So yeah all that combined does give NE fans quite a bit to defend our QB. Yep he's not throwing a great long ball any longer. He's never been able to run. He sucks. Then again would you take a guy who bats .400 or one who has 35 HRs and bats .200? Chicks love the long ball. Fans love winning.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In one exhibit we have a successful Randy Moss. In another exhibit we have a bunch of scrubs who haven't done jack anywhere else after. Did you watch LaFell this year? Dude couldn't catch. He dropped plenty of deep stuff.

Of course the system matters. Brady is so unstoppable on the short stuff that they don't use as much deep stuff and barely put any resources into the offense at all. They've only brought in one of those guys and he had one of the best years ever. Even Gronk they got on the cheap because of the injury risks (everyone knew he was a stud, but most were worried about his back). They only try to find value on the offensive side of the ball. They don't pony up resources. And that's because Brady lets them still be successful while doing that.
Short passes have a much higher % of being caught. BB plays the numbers. Just like his dreaded bend don't break D. Then all the other metrics he uses to slant the play call in his favor. Many times I think he over thinks it. But as far as selecting Brady and desigining a system that works we can all agree he got that one right.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pathetic is pick #199 still at the top of his game. Still out performing many QBs drafted ahead of him. From the combine this kid should never of even had a shot. Pretty good selection by NE. So yeah all that combined does give NE fans quite a bit to defend our QB. Yep he's not throwing a great long ball any longer. He's never been able to run. He sucks. Then again would you take a guy who bats .400 or one who has 35 HRs and bats .200? Chicks love the long ball. Fans love winning.
Not sure what your posts has to do with mine:noidea:
Brady is an all time great player and will always be remembered as such. Most teams fans wouldn't feel the need to defend such a player since society has basically already done it. Kind of like with the Jeter example of being nothing but a slap hitter that some all too typical Boston fan brought up. No need to bother defending the great ones. They are winners for a reason and even though they have their warts, their positive attributes still shine through...insecurity I tells ya...