• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Patriots acquire Martellus Bennett

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still trying to figure out what the NFL definition is for a "Deep Throw". Is that how deep into the turf a QB can throw a football? Or is it how deep into a 12 foot deep pool of water a QB can throw a football standing on the edge?

Or is deep 25 yards, 30 yards, 35 yards, 40 yards. Three years ago I went to a Patriots opening day training camp. For the life of me I can't remember the rookie QB's name but I watched this kid throw footballs from the end zone to the opposite 30 yard line with no effort. People were gasping at this kid's arm. Like I said, I can't even remember his name. He sure could throw the football from the end zone, but apparently couldn't hit a receiver or do it when the defense was on the field.

Funny some of you say Brady can't throw deep. On my DVR as I type, I have last year's games with the Steelers, Bills, Cowboys, Texans and Giants. In every game he completed a pass longer than 30 yards downfield. In two he had a pass for over 40 yards. So I guess if he doesn't throw over 40 yards at least 5 times a game and complete 100% he can't throw deep..........OK. I understand. I also DVR'd an NFL Classic Game Saturday. It was a 2005 Patriots vs Chargers playoff game. Brady's entire receiving corp were...Reche Caldwell, Troy Brown, Jabbar Gaffney and Ben Watson...........They made it to the AFC Championship and lost..........another Brady failure.

This is what I love about the haters........................when the Patriots lose a playoff game it's Brady's fault because he sucks and can't throw the deep ball. When they win he's a cheater, can't throw the long ball and he sucks.

Ok he sucks.........I'll keep Brady and you keep your shitbag. Have a good season....bet ya wish ya had a Brady QB'ing your team.

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I view it more as a divert attention from Gronk. With a viable option.

The jewel in this trade is that if Gronk gets injured, which is a 50-50 chance every season, a more than capable plug in the TE spot...
Only problem will be his attitude outbursts... But BB knows what he's doin'....

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bennett is pretty freaking good when he wants to be. That TE combo could be dangerous. They still need a deep threat on the outside though.
They should have signed Jared Cook instead. He's younger and faster than Bennett.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should have signed Jared Cook instead. He's younger and faster than Bennett.
Are you being serious? Or are you just that dumb? You and Cook's mother may be the only two people in the world who think this:doh:

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still trying to figure out what the NFL definition is for a "Deep Throw". Is that how deep into the turf a QB can throw a football? Or is it how deep into a 12 foot deep pool of water a QB can throw a football standing on the edge?

Or is deep 25 yards, 30 yards, 35 yards, 40 yards. Three years ago I went to a Patriots opening day training camp. For the life of me I can't remember the rookie QB's name but I watched this kid throw footballs from the end zone to the opposite 30 yard line with no effort. People were gasping at this kid's arm. Like I said, I can't even remember his name. He sure could throw the football from the end zone, but apparently couldn't hit a receiver or do it when the defense was on the field.

Funny some of you say Brady can't throw deep. On my DVR as I type, I have last year's games with the Steelers, Bills, Cowboys, Texans and Giants. In every game he completed a pass longer than 30 yards downfield. In two he had a pass for over 40 yards. So I guess if he doesn't throw over 40 yards at least 5 times a game and complete 100% he can't throw deep..........OK. I understand. I also DVR'd an NFL Classic Game Saturday. It was a 2005 Patriots vs Chargers playoff game. Brady's entire receiving corp were...Reche Caldwell, Troy Brown, Jabbar Gaffney and Ben Watson...........They made it to the AFC Championship and lost..........another Brady failure.

This is what I love about the haters........................when the Patriots lose a playoff game it's Brady's fault because he sucks and can't throw the deep ball. When they win he's a cheater, can't throw the long ball and he sucks.

Ok he sucks.........I'll keep Brady and you keep your shitbag. Have a good season....bet ya wish ya had a Brady QB'ing your team.

The 5 yard crossing route to Edelman that turns into a 39 yard gain, is not what we would consider a "Deep Throw"

Youre welcome

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Here's my cut. In most seasons, Brady's completion to interception ratio is superb. But it does degrade the more he heaves a long one. He does make a good number of them too but compared to the short and mid-range passes he will make more bad and vulnerable throws. Unlike Ben Rothlesburger who throws a very nice long ball (or course that also means Bergerman gets sacked and injured more as result but that's a known weakness of his as well). Does that mean Rothlesberger is the better QB? Not by a long shot imo.

I categorize a mid-range pass in the area of 20 yards and Brady's still very good at that. You saw the long ball heaves more (30+) this season since both the OL and WR corps had health issues and that was the best option. And guess what he threw more interceptions than useful.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you being serious? Or are you just that dumb? You and Cook's mother may be the only two people in the world who think this:doh:

He is younger and faster.......and a crappier blocker.......and has stone hands.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Me too. Example: Romo sucks on go patterns. He seems to miss open guys all the time and make some horrible throws. Best scenario is usually when the guy is so open that he underthrows it and still completes it but the guy has to slow down or stop and gets tackled. But there is a stat out there that someone posted (or made up) on the Cowboys board a couple of years ago saying how good he is on passes over 20 yards or 30 yards, whatever the Hell it is. (Romo is also great on deep crossing patterns and outs so not trying to kill him here). To me a "deep ball" is a bomb or whatever term you want to use. A guy sitting down 25 yards out in a hole in a zone isn't a "deep ball". It's hitting a guy in stride running full speed down the field. Romo sucks at that. I don't know how Brady is at that and will leave it up to the Pat fans that think he does no wrong and the Hammerites that think he does no right...

psaboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't matter, Bears have Greg Olsen.

Shit, they traded him years ago as well.

Bears will suck again

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Tom Brady is literally the worst passing QB in the league.

This isn't opinion.

This is fact.

But yeah, you keep him, Ken. Keep him and pay him every damn cent of that glorious contract extension.

See where he takes you.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bennett is better.

I agree and it's astonishing that NE could somehow find a way to add another receiving threat to this jam-packed HOF roster.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But yeah, you keep him, Ken. Keep him and pay him every damn cent of that glorious contract extension.

See where he takes you.

Super Bowl LI.........One for the thumb.........MVP IV

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Super Bowl LI.........One for the thumb.........MVP IV

Crazier things have happened, Ken!

...for instance. Super Bowl 49. Brady single-handedly lost that game for his team. Seconds before the worst playcall in the history of American organized sports gifted the Patriots that win, Brady was scripting his retirement speech and making alternate travel plans since he had been informed he wouldn't be allowed on the team plane. Seconds after? "MVP! MVP! MVP!"

Astonishing, huh? And this from fans who believe with a religious fervor that "the NFL is out to destroy Tom Brady." It's impossible not to be utterly fascinated at you guys.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cool man, I have always dreamed of the Pats having a player named Martellus.
Get ready for many wins by double TE massacre, part deux, even with Sir Brady's decimated passing skills and perhaps play time?
:L