• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pacquiao-Horn on ESPN

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Drug test Bradley.

Dude was dumb as a rock before he became punch drunk. Never trust a guy who smiles all the time. You know they must have brain damage. Nobody smiles all the time.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh. I'll watch the fight but you have an aging fighter who's big pay-days are behind him vs. an "undefeated" guy who still has some legs with a continent that could be behind him to make people some bucks. I remember back in the day a long time ago when Oba Carr was on the rise and he fought Livingstone Bramble. Carr was supposed to be the next big thing and Bramble was way past his prime and Bramble schooled him. Judges saw it different with Carr winning comfortably. I honestly don't think Carr won a round. But that's how the shit goes in that stupid game. Judges think more about paydays down the road than they do about the fight they're watching. It's a complete fucking joke.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And because I do watch considerably more boxing than most main stream sports fans these days, and definitely pay more attention to it, and because I'm in such a kind shariNG mood tonight I'll explain how one more thing works in boxing. Now not every fighter will follow this exact route. Lomanchenko went much faster (which he now regrets) and Wilder went much slower (and might be washed up shortly after getting a belt). But there is kind of a set schedule to start a career.

If you show promise in the gym, or came from a strong amatuer background you get 5 fights against nobodies who are also beginers. This is to get you used to being a boxer and being in front of people. And getting hit back. Then you get 5 more fights against proven nobodies. Probably guys that can take a punch, but not ones that can really throw a hard punch or put them together. This way you get to 10-0 easy, get some extra work in and find out what weaknesses you may have. But not against a guy that can beat you. Then you get another 5 or so fights that they start putting in skilled boxers (who can't punch) maybe a southpaw, these guys are actually meant to test you. Once you get to 15-0 (maybe even 20 or 25-0) and your team decides you're ready they step up to real professional boxers. Guys that make a living doing this. Maybe a washed up former champion or at least one of those career also-rans who had a title shot or two but never won the belt. Win a couple of those fights and you start looking for one of those current top 10 in the weight division guys. Maybe a guy with a hole in his game, or an aging former star.

Horn was 17-0 coming into the fight and 2 of his last 3 fights have been old former title contenders. And now he was fighting a thoroughly washed up Manny Pacquiao trying to make a name for himself.

People complaining that he hasn't fought anyone they've ever heard of...? That's because he's only fought 17 fights. Which means he's really only had 2-3 real fights with guys you might have heard of. Oh and incidentally he's from the other side of the planet so even those 2-3 real fights weren't expected to be US household names.

Don't be Screaming A Smith. Don't pop off until you have at least a little idea of what you're saying. Usually it just makes you sound stupid.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boxing is so fucking crooked.
It's either incompetence or corruption, I'm going with the later.

Looking at the Punch Statistics...

PunchStats-PacquiaoHorn.jpg

How in the hell was this a unanimous decision?

Oh, I know......

Huge-pile-of-cash-stacks.jpg

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the end of the 9th round Jeff Horn was a staggering bloody mess. ( The blood was from cuts from Mannys punches not headbutts)

It was so bad the ref warned Horn directly that for his own protection that he would stop the fight if Horn did not show him something.

Nobody in the history of boxing has ever been given a warning like that and go on the win a unanimous decision.

The judges were so bad that they did not even have enough sense to make it look like a close fight.
The one judge had it 117-111 in favor of Horn.

That told you all you needed to know.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly though, if boxing wants to know why their sport is dying, this fight is exhibit A.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly though, if boxing wants to know why their sport is dying, this fight is exhibit A.
And to be frank, it is boring compared to the UFC. Boxing is mostly about points, UFC is about finishing fights. And id you aren't finishing fights a lot of people won't hand you money.

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I quit watching boxing after the Hagler / Leonard fight.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,796.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh. I'll watch the fight but you have an aging fighter who's big pay-days are behind him vs. an "undefeated" guy who still has some legs with a continent that could be behind him to make people some bucks. I remember back in the day a long time ago when Oba Carr was on the rise and he fought Livingstone Bramble. Carr was supposed to be the next big thing and Bramble was way past his prime and Bramble schooled him. Judges saw it different with Carr winning comfortably. I honestly don't think Carr won a round. But that's how the shit goes in that stupid game. Judges think more about paydays down the road than they do about the fight they're watching. It's a complete fucking joke.

I remember Bramble....Ended up winning 40 fights and losing 26......lost a bunch at the end of his career.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Homecooking for Horn

I can't believe one had 117-111 Horn
Whoever had this scorecard should be banned forever. I had Pac man winning, but Horn was the aggressor throughout, I thought it would be a close decision for Pac. When you take into account that the 9th HAD to be 10-8 for Pac, that means this fool had the rest of the fight 109-101. What the Hell were they watching?

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,796.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And because I do watch considerably more boxing than most main stream sports fans these days, and definitely pay more attention to it, and because I'm in such a kind shariNG mood tonight I'll explain how one more thing works in boxing. Now not every fighter will follow this exact route. Lomanchenko went much faster (which he now regrets) and Wilder went much slower (and might be washed up shortly after getting a belt). But there is kind of a set schedule to start a career.

If you show promise in the gym, or came from a strong amatuer background you get 5 fights against nobodies who are also beginers. This is to get you used to being a boxer and being in front of people. And getting hit back. Then you get 5 more fights against proven nobodies. Probably guys that can take a punch, but not ones that can really throw a hard punch or put them together. This way you get to 10-0 easy, get some extra work in and find out what weaknesses you may have. But not against a guy that can beat you. Then you get another 5 or so fights that they start putting in skilled boxers (who can't punch) maybe a southpaw, these guys are actually meant to test you. Once you get to 15-0 (maybe even 20 or 25-0) and your team decides you're ready they step up to real professional boxers. Guys that make a living doing this. Maybe a washed up former champion or at least one of those career also-rans who had a title shot or two but never won the belt. Win a couple of those fights and you start looking for one of those current top 10 in the weight division guys. Maybe a guy with a hole in his game, or an aging former star.

Horn was 17-0 coming into the fight and 2 of his last 3 fights have been old former title contenders. And now he was fighting a thoroughly washed up Manny Pacquiao trying to make a name for himself.

People complaining that he hasn't fought anyone they've ever heard of...? That's because he's only fought 17 fights. Which means he's really only had 2-3 real fights with guys you might have heard of. Oh and incidentally he's from the other side of the planet so even those 2-3 real fights weren't expected to be US household names.

Don't be Screaming A Smith. Don't pop off until you have at least a little idea of what you're saying. Usually it just makes you sound stupid.

Which is exactly why Bernstein went off on Stephen A Smith....

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,796.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 of the judges were from the US.

#Paidoff

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,796.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's either incompetence or corruption, I'm going with the later.

Looking at the Punch Statistics...

PunchStats-PacquiaoHorn.jpg

How in the hell was this a unanimous decision?

Oh, I know......

Huge-pile-of-cash-stacks.jpg

Yep. He landed 182 to Horn's 92 punches.

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pac-Man was robbed but for it to be even remotely close is a joke. He needs to hang it up.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pac-Man was robbed but for it to be even remotely close is a joke. He needs to hang it up.

Of course the retirement conversation needs to happen. But this fight should have nothing to do with it.

You can't tell a guy he needs to retire after the ref is told his opponent he is concerned for his safety and wants to stop the fight.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finally got around to watching the fight andhad a couple thoughts. I had it 7 rounds to 5 for Pac man, but could haveceasily seen 5-7 based on aggressiveness and pushing the action.

Teddy Atlas calling anybody out for being crooked really pissed me off. Even as the fight was starting in round 1 Atlas already had the fight scored and Manny as the winner. One of the only people more ready to fellate a fighter than Max Kellerman. I've always had a hard time understanding Atlas talking and just assumed it was his NY accent combined with his scar. Starting to realize it's because he's trying to talk around Pacquiao's dick in his mouth.

I didn't actually think round 9 was even a 10-8 round, and seeing the ref come over and say he wanted to stop the fight was IMO completely out of line.

Manny obviously has lost a bunch of speed as he's gotten older, but unlike most other old fighters he's "somehow" lost all his power too. He caught Horn clean as he was coming in leading with his face several times, and Horn didn't even look phased.