• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pacquiao-Horn on ESPN

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stephen A STFU....

You can easily mute or turn off your tv. He said nothing wrong. You had Horn winning? Was it not a garbage decision? He said nothing wrong. It was a shitty decision and they should have shown the pictures of the judges like they usually do prior to the fight.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd love to hear which ones of 2-5 and 9 the 117-111 judge gave to Horn. Those were as lopsided of rounds as one can imagine.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is why boxing is dead and it sucks.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The biggest crime is now people are going to give validity to the reasoning that Mayweather/McGregor will be a good fight and people will waste money on that garbage. I really hope everyone involved in that clown act loses money.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,946.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can easily mute or turn off your tv. He said nothing wrong. You had Horn winning? Was it not a garbage decision? He said nothing wrong. It was a shitty decision and they should have shown the pictures of the judges like they usually do prior to the fight.

No, that was more from the rant I posted on the first page from a legendary boxing analyst. Smith isn't fucking qualified to be talking about this. He didn't know several of Horn's opponents.....he's a loudmouth blowhard.

Manny absolutely won the fight.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,946.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Al Bernstein went full OG on Stephen A Smith on his FB a little while ago. It was awesome!!!!

"I seldom criticize sportscasting colleagues. BUT I cringe when announcers who don't really follow boxing denigrate fighters for no reason. Perhaps before Stephen A. Smith said that Horn opponents Randall Bailey and Ali Funeka "give new meaning to the term no names" he might have done 5 minutes of research and realized that Bailey only 5 years ago was a world champion and as recently as 6 yrs ago.

Funeka fought twice for a world title. Are they household names to all sports or boxing fans...no. Were they aging fighters that Horn could build his name with...yes. BUT within the sport they are not no names. it is awful to read their names and a few others in a mocking tone and suggest they're some kind of bums.

These two men had excellent careers. I doubt if he would pick an aging NBA player who isn't a superstar and call him a no name even though casual NBA fans might not know who that 2nd string power forward might be. When asked "what do you have on Jeff Horn?" Smith said, "gotta admit I don't have much on this dude."

Really? How could you admit that on National TV when you are being paid to cover this "dude." Then he denigrated Horn's opponents without knowing anything about THEM.

And, again, I'm not saying Horn has faced super tough competition, but don't sit there with your co-host and laugh and mock their names, after you have admitted you didn't even do any homework on one of the fighters who is in the main event, let alone his opponents.

When I have covered other sports beyond boxing I make it my business to NOT overreach and make statements based on no knowledge.

Instead I actually prepare, so that I can stay in my lane, be factual, and do the job I'm being paid for. When I covered major league baseball or the NBA on Sportscenter when I was at ESPN I didn't offer unfounded opinions on players who I did not cover on a regular basis.

I stuck to the facts and any insights I gathered from players or others who covered the sport regularly. If Smith is going to keep doing these boxing shows, I suggest he and whoever sits and co-hosts with him do the same. Sorry for this tirade, but this is more than a little distressing to me. Boxers deserve respect and accuracy when they are reported on."

This, @bksballer89

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, that was more of the rant I posted on the first page from a legendary boxing analyst. Smith isn't fucking qualified to be talking about this. He didn't know several of Horn's opponents.....he's a loudmouth blowhard.

Manny absolutely won the fight.

Did you know any of Horn opponents? Horn is pretty new to big time boxing. SAS is basically at every major fight. Does he know as much as Bernstein? No but is he some stupid fuck who knows nothing about boxing? Hell no, he has always been into boxing. I watch boxing anytime it is on and I don't any of Horn previous opponents either. I'm pretty sure most who watch boxing frequently as myself doesn't know any of Horn previous opponents.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Old white announcer at best is cringeworthy.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I saw it and I don't agree with it. 95% of boxing fans doesn't know those guys either. He fought nobodies. Just because Al Bernstein doesn't have anything better to do with life except follow boxing 24/7 doesn't mean someone is unqualified to talk boxing

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw it and I don't agree with it. 95% of boxing fans doesn't know those guys either. He fought nobodies. Just because Al Bernstein doesn't have anything better to do with life except follow boxing 24/7 doesn't mean someone is unqualified to talk boxing
Stephen A Smith is a loudmouth hack that think PuTTing HEavYY EMPHAsisss ON diFFEREnt PaRTs OF WORDS makes it a GooD POint. Dude is a clown.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jody Allen
Torin Rophia
Nuengsiam Kiatsongsang
Rivian Cesaire (2X)
Aswin Cabuy
Naoufel Ben Rabeh
Fernando Ferreira Da Silva
Robson Assis
Richmond Djarbeng
Viktor Plotnykov
Alfredo Rodolfo Blanco
Ahmed El Mousaoui
Randall Bailey
Rico Mueller
Ali Funeka

Please comment on this post if you know more than 1 of these fighters.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't watch. Don't care. But I tuned into ESPN to watch Teddy Atlas come within an inch of murdering someone with his rage

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jody Allen
Torin Rophia
Nuengsiam Kiatsongsang
Rivian Cesaire (2X)
Aswin Cabuy
Naoufel Ben Rabeh
Fernando Ferreira Da Silva
Robson Assis
Richmond Djarbeng
Viktor Plotnykov
Alfredo Rodolfo Blanco
Ahmed El Mousaoui
Randall Bailey
Rico Mueller
Ali Funeka

Please comment on this post if you know more than 1 of these fighters.
I wouldn't be shocked if you made up all those names but I am also not a self proclaimed analyst on a topic with no research, and running my mouth rampant on television.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,946.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you know any of Horn opponents? Horn is pretty new to big time boxing. SAS is basically at every major fight. Does he know as much as Bernstein? No but is he some stupid fuck who knows nothing about boxing? Hell no, he has always been into boxing. I watch boxing anytime it is on and I don't any of Horn previous opponents either. I'm pretty sure most who watch boxing frequently as myself doesn't know any of Horn previous opponents.

A professional does his fucking research. And yes I had heard of Randall Bailey. He's no scrub.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,946.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stephen A Smith is a loudmouth hack that think PuTTing HEavYY EMPHAsisss ON diFFEREnt PaRTs OF WORDS makes it a GooD POint. Dude is a clown.

Exactly. And bks has railed against him on the NBA threads and now he's acting like they're related

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,946.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Horn can compete with anybody in the division? LOL.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Took the kids to the firework display and only got home in time to see my dvr recorded espn2... Saw last 2 minutes of round 12.

But with that caveat out of the way I'll throw out my standard reply to the masses who complain about boxing judges. Its not scored as a fight. Its scored as 12 individual rounds. It doesnt matter if you barely win a round and then almost get murdered in the next. Judges so rarely score a 10-8 round without a knockdown that it might as well not be an option. ESPN keeps talking about almost stopping it after rlund 9, doesnt matter. Its still just 10-9 or at worst 10-8.

Ive seen a fight before that everyone agreed was one of the closest fights they remember. Everyone thought it should have been a draw or maybe possibly a split decision one way or the other. All 3 judges had it 120-108. People screamed fix left and right. But the truth was one guy won all 12 rounds by maybe 1 or 2 punches each round. Every boxing fan has seen one of those fights where one guy wins the firsg 5 close rounds, then gasses out. The other guy destroys him for the next 5rounds. And people that dont underatand boxing scoring get mad every time. But that fight is by boxing rules/scoring a draw every time.

Maybe that whole rant doesnt qpply at all this time. But it usually bears mentioning.