• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

ESPN Bloodbath

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matt Hasselbeck, Jeff VanGundy, Marcus Spears, Suzy Kolber, Todd McShay, Steve Young, Jalen Rose, Max Kellerman, Keyshawn Johnson to name a few...

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't pay much attention to announcers but it seemed to me Jeff Van Gundy was really fucking good at basketball. I always respected Kiper when they proposed bringing in Todd McShay. Most in his position would feel threatened, instead he thought it was a great idea to bring in other opinions. Sorry to see Todd go.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Salaries are ridiculous for the production.

My wife was bitchin' the other day about everything on Prime Video asking you to pay to join. Advertisers look at viewership and people watching their phones don't count. Or on their iPad or their computer. With all of the streaming, within the next ten years, every single game will be PPV. The cost of adding Apple TV, Starz, ShoTime etc. have all gone up because of streaming. Now those programs and movies can't be streamed because the networks are not giving them away free.

Cheapest solution? Buy YouTue TV and dump your cable. It has a base price of $72.99 and has all of your local big networks as part of the package. Now make a decision about what you want to watch. $13.99 a month for the sports pack, HBO Max (MAX)at $10.99 and you get the complete HBO pack. Apple TV at $6.99. If you pay for Amazon Prime ($139 annually), you get it free. Add a couple more and your TV will cost you about $115 a month average. If you want Sunday Ticket add another $259. Netflix and every other pay channel is now checking how many TVs are connected to any paid subscription and they're charging the subscriber for any TV not on their agreement. So if you gave your cousin or son-in-law your password and he/she lives three states away, watch out.

If you watch TV 16 hours a day or every minute you're not on the Hoop, You're going to have to pay more to let the guys that don't pay, keep watching on your nickel.

Chief Cola

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Suzy Kolber is getting a little old......
I always admired her transformation from mousy sports nerd to going full trophy wife.
Seemed to happen not long after the Joe Namath moment...

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The outcome of sporting events became irrelevant to ESPN.
They want to decide who the winner is.

So for thier thier favorite players and sports teams ....win or lose, they get a positive spin.
Teams & players they don't like ....it's all negative spin.

People won't tune in when they already know what you are going to say.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So for thier thier favorite players and sports teams ....win or lose, they get a positive spin.

Well put. They got full of themselves.

Sports don't really need them, but a lot of people are just sucking on whatever money hose gets put in front of them.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At 1 time ESPN came across as having a non-sporting social agenda. That seemed to be the root of their problem. Not sure if that changed or if changing presenters now will make a difference.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My wife was bitchin' the other day about everything on Prime Video asking you to pay to join. Advertisers look at viewership and people watching their phones don't count. Or on their iPad or their computer. With all of the streaming, within the next ten years, every single game will be PPV. The cost of adding Apple TV, Starz, ShoTime etc. have all gone up because of streaming. Now those programs and movies can't be streamed because the networks are not giving them away free.

Cheapest solution? Buy YouTue TV and dump your cable. It has a base price of $72.99 and has all of your local big networks as part of the package. Now make a decision about what you want to watch. $13.99 a month for the sports pack, HBO Max (MAX)at $10.99 and you get the complete HBO pack. Apple TV at $6.99. If you pay for Amazon Prime ($139 annually), you get it free. Add a couple more and your TV will cost you about $115 a month average. If you want Sunday Ticket add another $259. Netflix and every other pay channel is now checking how many TVs are connected to any paid subscription and they're charging the subscriber for any TV not on their agreement. So if you gave your cousin or son-in-law your password and he/she lives three states away, watch out.

If you watch TV 16 hours a day or every minute you're not on the Hoop, You're going to have to pay more to let the guys that don't pay, keep watching on your nickel.
I used to have YouTube TV but I could not watch the Seattle Mariners locally on RootSports because YouTube did not have that package. Unfortunately root sports has the rights to Seattle Mariners locally. If root sports had an app that you paid for monthly, I would definitely get rid of my Comcast Xfinity account and switch back to YouTube TV.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I used to have YouTube TV but I could not watch the Seattle Mariners locally on RootSports because YouTube did not have that package. If root sports had an app that you paid for monthly, I would definitely get rid of my Comcast Xfinity account and switch back to YouTube TV

definitely true. I honestly haven’t watched ESPN in two years. Maybe three years. Ever since Covid. Their social agenda and political views turned me off.

Godstree

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would never ever pay youtube for anything. I would go dark if that was my only option.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would never ever pay youtube for anything. I would go dark if that was my only option.
It's a much cheaper alternative to paying the cable gougers $250 a month for what used to be free TV and $5.99 for month HBO.

It might seem like the normal thing, but I remember when nightly TV shutdown at midnight and Friday and Saturday at 1:00 am. HBO started satying on air until 3:00 am and in 1983 went 24/7. All of the major networks had to follow. Around that same time a new Sports network opened iBristol, CT. East Sports Programming Network. They immediately went 24/7 and it was free if your cable company picked it up. I had a company called Comcast and they provided everything for $12.99 a month and you could get HBO and movies for $5.99 a month.

Did you know that when HD came out, you actually had to have your cable reset? You couldn't pick up HD without cable. Do you knw what year HD was offered? November 2004. I bought one of the first HD televisions available. It had an unheard of 43" screen and the TV weighed in at 338 pounds. I had a stroke on Friday, Feb. 2nd 2005. On January 30 I bought that new Mitsubishi TV and on Feb. 1, I had HD connected. There were only two programs in HD. Bonanza and another series. Except for the Super Bowl, on Sunday Feb. 7, it would be the first live cast HD sports event. I refused to stay in the hospital that weekend because there was no way I was missing the Patriots and Eagles in the Super Bowl in HD. The doctor asked me if he come over to my house to check me out and watch the game. (You don't forget the events that surround a medical emergency)

Fast forward 38 years. You may not be old enough to remember anything I just posted. But the cost of all broadcasting has gone out of control. Check your news over the past week. 27 highly paid people at ESPN got canned. Why? Because Disney can't give away tickets to Disneyland or Disney World and it's affecting everything they own. Advertisers refuse to pay for programs where people can speed through ads to watch a program, movie or event. The easiest place to toss bodies is a sports network. There are thousands of wannabes just waiting for the chance to be on the tube for $2500 a week.

You just might have to go dark if you ain't willing to pay the toll.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dont have access to it but didn't most people like Todd McShay over Mel Kiper?

Eh gotta remember Kiper basically created the hype around the NFL draft. It was hardly watched and his analysis and focus on it pretty much created the hype and giant spectacle that it is today.

I know a guy that works for the Seahawks and is in the post draft press conferences during the NFL draft (does a lot of the write ups) - or at least he did (haven't actually spoken to him in some time) and he said exactly the same thing.

ESPN for years always has Kiper's mocks and analysis as one of the first links on the NFL page during the draft. While I think other sites (WalterFootball which is now popping up on live broadcasts) have a better analysis and pick track record, Kiper still carries ESPN in the draft regard. McShay was always second to Kiper in terms of priority for the business.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You may not be old enough to remember anything I just posted. But the cost of all broadcasting has gone out of control.
I remeber in the 60's in my hometown in California.
There was a big debate going on and on about "pay per view" TV.
We would be able to get a bunch of stuff unavailable on antenna
The argument against was PPV TV being a slppery slope - eventually you'd have to pay for all TV
Prophetic and pathetic!