• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL Thread Part IV - A New Hope

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks @forty_three for posting. I saw some comments about this, but had not seen the footage.

Looked like the Bjorkstrand player had the puck and Polak drove him into the boards. As @Bloody Brian Burke said above, sure a game or two suspension.

Personally, I think this should be more of a grey/gray area. A small part of the responsibility should be borne by Bjorkstrand. He does keep his back to the play (and thus face to the boards) and does crouch down. Players should not put themselves in that kind of position. The way the rules are enforced today, it makes it difficult for the defensive team. You can't hit him, and if you "just" slow him down you will probably get a holding penalty. Yes, I know he will get suspended, I would prefer the rules be loosened a bit here.

/Inge Hammarstrom would be a Hart trophy finalist in this era

//when are they going to design helmets that actually help prevent concussions?
I don't think the rules will get tightened because once the NHL loses or settles its concussion lawsuit I truly believe the end game will be the removal of hitting from hockey.

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if a player gets a suspension he should have to do community service on the days he misses

/sorry guys, I can't go out as I got curfew for my habitat for humanity gig tomorrow

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if a player gets a suspension he should have to do community service on the days he misses

/sorry guys, I can't go out as I got curfew for my habitat for humanity gig tomorrow

Something about Jared Boll working in some Big Brothers Big Sisters capacity in LA makes me giggle.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks @forty_three for posting. I saw some comments about this, but had not seen the footage.

Looked like the Bjorkstrand player had the puck and Polak drove him into the boards. As @Bloody Brian Burke said above, sure a game or two suspension.

Personally, I think this should be more of a grey/gray area. A small part of the responsibility should be borne by Bjorkstrand. He does keep his back to the play (and thus face to the boards) and does crouch down. Players should not put themselves in that kind of position. The way the rules are enforced today, it makes it difficult for the defensive team. You can't hit him, and if you "just" slow him down you will probably get a holding penalty. Yes, I know he will get suspended, I would prefer the rules be loosened a bit here.

/Inge Hammarstrom would be a Hart trophy finalist in this era

//when are they going to design helmets that actually help prevent concussions?

Disagree on the onus on the injured player in this case (and usually). He didn't turn, he skated straight to the puck, and he had to be turned that way in order to make a play on it. Polack did have another option, which was to beat him to the spot and cut him off. Instead, he rode him into the boards from behind, dangerously. Had he taken a couple strides to beat him up the boards, he goes shoulder to shoulder on him, knocks him down sideways, and without taking a penalty or causing an injury, separates player from puck.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disagree on the onus on the injured player in this case (and usually). He didn't turn, he skated straight to the puck, and he had to be turned that way in order to make a play on it. Polack did have another option, which was to beat him to the spot and cut him off. Instead, he rode him into the boards from behind, dangerously. Had he taken a couple strides to beat him up the boards, he goes shoulder to shoulder on him, knocks him down sideways, and without taking a penalty or causing an injury, separates player from puck.

1lzhxr.jpg

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Like I said, the only thing that Bjorkstrand turning changed was the side of his face he was bleeding from.

I've seen a few comments about how Polak didn't really have an option because if he didn't hit Bjorkstrand when he pivoted, he would have gotten a holding call.

Well, yeah. But 2 for holding is better than 5 (*7), a game and a two game ban.

He could also have just backed off when he realized that he was beaten to the puck, readjusted and defended.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said, the only thing that Bjorkstrand turning changed was the side of his face he was bleeding from.

I've seen a few comments about how Polak didn't really have an option because if he didn't hit Bjorkstrand when he pivoted, he would have gotten a holding call.

Well, yeah. But 2 for holding is better than 5 (*7), a game and a two game ban.

He could also have just backed off when he realized that he was beaten to the puck, readjusted and defended.

Or, in other words, be a better player and you don't "have to" put other players in danger. If you can't make a play, make the (legal) play you can make. You don't see fourth-line grinders trying to dangle between two defenders with no help behind them. They dump it in. Because that's the play they can make.

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it throwback night in Denver? Oilers D couldn't cover a corpse and the Avs have reverted to the Dives

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Failing Columbus Blue Jackets go down to the Caps in a shootout. Saad! #MaketheCapsGreatForOnceb #ThanksOttawa

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuck you Crosby and the Pens!!

Sens win 2-1 in the skills contest.

Also props to Marc Methot for proving that hockey players are the toughest athletes out there. He only looked mildly annoyed by having his finger exploded.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
e - Vancouver

now, don't mess it up with a winning streak down the stretch.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuck you Crosby and the Pens!!

Sens win 2-1 in the skills contest.

Also props to Marc Methot for proving that hockey players are the toughest athletes out there. He only looked mildly annoyed by having his finger exploded.

This was so conflicting. I hate the Sens and them losing last night would've been especially beneficial given how close the Leafs would be to them in the standings but at the same time after seeing some of the crap this week I'd like to see Crosby and the Pens slide and wind up losing in the first round and then see Malkin go play in the KHL this summer so...

/Can't say the Sens losing Methot doesn't help the Leafs, though, especially if it means we get some top pair Dion on display :D

Last edited:

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I dont believe I said the onus was solely on the injured player. I certainly do not believe that.

But I do believe their is a shared responsibility. Can we agree that hockey is a contact sport? Can we agree that trying to separate a player from the puck using contact is legit? All I am saying is that if you skate towards the puck face first to the boards, you share some responsibility, knowing the two "facts" I stated earlier. Gotta know you are going to get hit, and unless you want your chin permanently implanted into the glass, maybe that player should also make different decisions.

I am not even saying the responsibility is 50-50. I am not in favo(u)r of rules though that condone an offensive player from moving along the boards, face first, without fear of physical contact.

/I did say I thought it was suspendable.
//personally I am much more disappointed with Captain Ahab from the Pens (87) and his harpooning tactics.
///just saw that Sid has added fileting to his harpooning skills. :tsk:

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Failing Columbus Blue Jackets go down to the Caps in a shootout. Saad! #MaketheCapsGreatForOnceb #ThanksOttawa

FAKE NEWS!

Seriously, though what a fucking game.

I cannot describe how bad I want these two teams to be the ECF.

Status
Not open for further replies.