• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL Thread Part IV - A New Hope

Status
Not open for further replies.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess this also means the Sens will have to unleash the Jokkipakka.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BUF (x2)
FLA
NSH
DET
WSH
TBL
PIT
CBJ

Doesn't seem that bad to me. The last 4 are obviously tough but they're all at home. Shouldn't be a problem. Might want to clinch before the last 4 though. Might be tough games to play under pressure.
I meant those last 4 when I said hell. Only benefit is they're all at the ACC.

But otherwise, both games are in Buffalo, a place where the Leafs historically have sucked butthole regardless of how good or bad either team is, and the Leafs' only regulation loss in their last 9 was a 7-2 murder against the Panthers.

Say 2 of those 3 games are "tough", and throw Nashville and the final 4 games into the mix and that's 7 tough games of the last 9.

Clinching is one thing but the Leafs' only realistic chance of getting to the second round is vs. the Sens. Clinching and dropping into the WC and a date with the Caps is just an exercise in futility.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What a surprise.

Methot may not be a big name league wide, but the guy plays over 20 minutes a night for the Sens, that's a big loss for Ottawa.

I don't mind the trade because we got Nick Foligno, but I miss Methot bigly. Just such a solid player.

Since the playoff teams are almost set and just seeding is up for grabs, doesn't it make sense to take more and more liberties with opposing playoff teams? If you can send a guy out of commission and get away with it, or get away with a paltry fine or a small suspension, shouldn't you do it? I wouldn't be surprised to see at least a stomping incident, a couple of flagrant elbows and at least one bite before this regular season is done.

*looks at schedule*

CBJ @ Pitt April 4th.

hmmmmm.... Dubinsky better watch his nuts and his fingers.

Reactions: gob

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since the playoff teams are almost set and just seeding is up for grabs, doesn't it make sense to take more and more liberties with opposing playoff teams? If you can send a guy out of commission and get away with it, or get away with a paltry fine or a small suspension, shouldn't you do it? I wouldn't be surprised to see at least a stomping incident, a couple of flagrant elbows and at least one bite before this regular season is done.
Speaking of goalies, what the hell are you guys feeding Bernier out there?

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of goalies, what the hell are you guys feeding Bernier out there?

He, Reimer and Andersen all have about the same SV% this year actually. Goalies man, who the hell can figure them out? :wink:

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess this also means the Sens will have to unleash the Jokkipakka.

I'm betting that Claesson draws in first but I won't object to Joki sliding into Boro's spot. Boro's only redeeming quality is that he can goon it up and he did nothing last night.

Honestly goons are only useful in today's NHL if they're crazy bastards who give no fucks. I'm not sure there are any of those anymore anyway. Boro thinks he can actually play hockey.

To be even the tiniest deterrent opposing players need to know you might just go apeshit at any time. I actually miss Matt Carkner for that reason.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you know that the Colorado Avalanche have been outscored 17-2 in the third period of their last 3 games? Holy tank job, Batman!

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Paul Byron is the Habs nominee for the Bill Masterton trophy - I think this is likely going to Sens goalie Craig Anderson, but Byron has had a heck of a season with Montreal (20 goals to date).

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He, Reimer and Andersen all have about the same SV% this year actually. Goalies man, who the hell can figure them out? :wink:
It's crazy.

I'm still happier with things as they are though. Bernier doesn't face squat for shots against and if both Andersen and Reimer are inconsistent goalies, I'll take Andersen's good times over Reimer's - take just Andersen's first 5 starts of the season out of the equation and his sv% jumps to .924.

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's crazy.

I'm still happier with things as they are though. Bernier doesn't face squat for shots against and if both Andersen and Reimer are inconsistent goalies, I'll take Andersen's good times over Reimer's - take just Andersen's first 5 starts of the season out of the equation and his sv% jumps to .924.
It's a Randy Carlyle coached team - Bernier sees a fair number of shots - maybe not like Anderson does but a good amount. What's crazy is how well he's done in the past month.

I'm not one to correlate a goalies numbers into the advanced stats of his d-men, but in the past month or so, Josh Manson and Hampus Lindholm have to have pretty decent stats and I think that has helped out Bernier immensely.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a Randy Carlyle coached team - Bernier sees a fair number of shots - maybe not like Anderson does but a good amount. What's crazy is how well he's done in the past month.

I'm not one to correlate a goalies numbers into the advanced stats of his d-men, but in the past month or so, Josh Manson and Hampus Lindholm have to have pretty decent stats and I think that has helped out Bernier immensely.
Surprisingly the Ducks are top ten in the league in shots against. It'll take Randy a year or two to completely eradicate the old system from the players' heads.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Geez, that disappeared like a fart in the wind.

Well, when your user base starts running off cliffs, into traffic, or to traps set by criminals, people tend to be like 'yeah, so there's like 1,000s of other games I could play on my phone.'

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flashback to 1992:

The penalty, levied by Brian O'Neill, the league's vice president, was not worse, in part, because of Graves's relatively clean record and because the incident was not an example of retaliation.

"Graves did not attempt to play the puck, swinging his stick high and appearing to go directly for the hand," O'Neill ruled. "Although the action by Graves is not deemed as a deliberate attempt to injure, it does fall into the category of being extremely reckless and careless."

Lemieux's agent, Tom Reich, disputed the ruling. The Los Angeles-based agent charged today that Graves should have been given a month's suspension as a message but that he would still have been just a scapegoat. Reich asserted that hockey's leadership has allowed coaches like Roger Neilson of the Rangers to encourage their players to injure opposing stars.

"Adam Graves is another sort of victim," Reich said. "It's a paradox, but I kind of feel sorry for him because he simply was the instrument.

"There's not going to be a way you can prove the coach was instrumental in telling his team to take out Mario Lemieux. There are coaches who definitely encourage their players to inflict harm on other players. You can't prove it, but there is a large body of opinion that believes these instructions existed.

"Graves looked like Tony Gwynn going to the opposite field in the gap," Reich said, referring to the baseball swing of the San Diego Padres' four-time batting champion. "A conclusion has to be drawn by the physical evidence more than by the testimony."

HOCKEY; N.H.L. Slaps Graves With 4-Game Suspension

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^ Good to see that 25 years later the league is a much safer place.

raw

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's say the Ducks face the Oilers in the first round of the playoffs - You don't think Corey Perry and Ryan Getzlaf won't be giving McJesus the business in the hands every chance they get? Man, that series could easily get out of hand with nastiness.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's say the Ducks face the Oilers in the first round of the playoffs - You don't think Corey Perry and Ryan Getzlaf won't be giving McJesus the business in the hands every chance they get? Man, that series could easily get out of hand with nastiness.

post-14251-Eddie-Murphy-I-see-what-you-di-PAQX.jpeg

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look, the slash on its own is one thing, but coupled with the nut shot...

Remember how earlier this year the dopes gave Marchand (I think) a "talking to" about his "edgy play"? Wouldn't at least that be warranted to Sid right now?

Status
Not open for further replies.