• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Starting my NHL comeback - need new skates

All-Star Benchwarmer

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,979.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Long story short, I want to start skating and playing hockey again, and my work schedule lines up with my rinks schedule for now. My blades can't be sharpened anymore (I think I got the skates in 1995), so I'll be heading out to buy a new pair of hockey skates sometime this week.

I'll start looking at options online, then heading to stores to check out the skates. Do you guys got any recommendations for skates? Is the foot forming technology worth it? Is Bauer quality still good in the lower level skates? Is there an retailer you like to use?

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been using Bauer Vapors for 20 + years. Got a new pair last year and am having a hard time getting used to the new ones though. Newer skates are super light and not as rigid as I like

I would make two suggestions - first try on all of them at the shop. Footbed comfort is the most important thing in my opinion. Arch pain can kill a session fast

Second, if going to a shop ask them if they bake skates. They heat the skates up and you put them on then as they cool they mold to your foot. Helps a lot with comfort. Usually about 15 bucks and some shops throw it in when you buy.

Also quick change blades are pretty awesome. Was an innovation I didn't know I needed until I had it. But I coach and skate 4 times a week and have to get my skates sharpener a lot. Keeping an extra set of blades in my bag keeps me from having to go out a lot to get them done.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you guys got any recommendations for skates?

DO NOT get hockey skates. They are OVERRATED. The top prospects these days have a secret edge and given the timeline we are talking about here, you sound like what prospects call a SURE THING for the NHL. It would be a shame to let poor skates stop you from that potential. So keep this on the down low, but get yourself a pair of figure skates. MUCH better and that toe pick has really power when it comes to hockey steps. Ah ah ah... say no more, "you're welcome."

450618-003.jpg

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Long story short, I want to start skating and playing hockey again, and my work schedule lines up with my rinks schedule for now. My blades can't be sharpened anymore (I think I got the skates in 1995), so I'll be heading out to buy a new pair of hockey skates sometime this week.

I'll start looking at options online, then heading to stores to check out the skates. Do you guys got any recommendations for skates? Is the foot forming technology worth it? Is Bauer quality still good in the lower level skates? Is there an retailer you like to use?
Good time to buy ... lots of sales on older models right now if you can find your size. My son is on Bauer Vapor X2.9's (which is a cheap-er skate for his frequency/level of play but my policy is Im only kicking in $200 on any skates and he picks up the rest lol - my stick policy is worse for him - $100 max - and he has a love of the Bauer Nexus Sync ... better ref more games kid! lol). He's due for an upgrade because he has no more blade to sharpen. We considered getting him new blades ($70 each) or skates now since he is playing summer hockey. Just gonna wait til new stock comes in in a month. I cant compare the Vapors to other brands/models since he has always used those and he skates like the wind. And as 43 says, make sure you get them heat molded.

All-Star Benchwarmer

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,979.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I found a hockey store just north of Columbus that had the Bauer foot scanner. They found my right foot was a whole size bigger than my left. I never noticed it, and now I can't stop holding my feet together to compare them. Also found out I'm a size 9/9.5 skate. I think my last skates were 11/12. I don't know if skate sizes have changed, or I was fitted wrong based on shoe size.

The best fitting skate they recommended were True custom fit for $1k+. I lol'd and the employee looked disappointed that he wasn't getting a big sale. The next best option are the Bauer Supreme. Felt a little pinchy on the sides right before the toes. After a bake they might feel better. I tried the CCM tacks. Also pinchy on the side, and also over the top of the foot. Again, might be fixed with a bake and a stretch.

Went and looked at the twigs. Aside from sticker shock, too many spec's, so I need to do my homework. Still have a twig (2008 TPS) that I really like, that I'll take in to compare.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
I found a hockey store just north of Columbus that had the Bauer foot scanner. They found my right foot was a whole size bigger than my left. I never noticed it, and now I can't stop holding my feet together to compare them. Also found out I'm a size 9/9.5 skate. I think my last skates were 11/12. I don't know if skate sizes have changed, or I was fitted wrong based on shoe size.

The best fitting skate they recommended were True custom fit for $1k+. I lol'd and the employee looked disappointed that he wasn't getting a big sale. The next best option are the Bauer Supreme. Felt a little pinchy on the sides right before the toes. After a bake they might feel better. I tried the CCM tacks. Also pinchy on the side, and also over the top of the foot. Again, might be fixed with a bake and a stretch.

Went and looked at the twigs. Aside from sticker shock, too many spec's, so I need to do my homework. Still have a twig (2008 TPS) that I really like, that I'll take in to compare.
yeah, my shoes are 11, skates are 9.

as for cost of skates, I went in to a high end store and got the scan, they recommended a line as my feet are wide.
$1,200 was the recommendation.
"anything cheaper?"
We can order some in for $700

i took that information to Canadian Tire and spent $200

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that you know your sizes like puck said go elsewhere. Buy em somewhere else and take back to Peranis to get them baked (it had to be Peranis you were at).

Didn't realize you were close to Columbus. There is a place in Pickerington/Reynoldburg called Never Made it Pro Stock - Pro Stock Hockey Equipment. They get pro return gear and stuff used by D1 players at OSU and BG. Most of it never saw ice time and is killer high quality stuff for well below new.

All-Star Benchwarmer

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,979.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that you know your sizes like puck said go elsewhere. Buy em somewhere else and take back to Peranis to get them baked (it had to be Peranis you were at).

Didn't realize you were close to Columbus. There is a place in Pickerington/Reynoldburg called Never Made it Pro Stock - Pro Stock Hockey Equipment. They get pro return gear and stuff used by D1 players at OSU and BG. Most of it never saw ice time and is killer high quality stuff for well below new.

I'll check out Never Made It Pro. A worker in Peranis told me a hockey store will be opening back up on Bethel (forget the franchise.) The last hockey store on Bethel is where I updated my equipment last.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My son got bauer vapor x4s this week and he says they are the most comfortable skate hes ever worn. Size 9 shoe. Size 6 (fit 2) skate