• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL Thread Part IV - A New Hope

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In other news, Matthew Tkachuk was suspended for two games. I'm not upset as I think it was the right call, I just wish the league was more consistent when it comes to head shots and handing out supplementary discipline.
The Flames seem to think they should never be disciplined:

http://SportsHoopla.com/jwkvkun

“While we are disappointed with the League’s verdict, we nonetheless respect the process and that the league has issued its ruling. Both the Flames and Matthew accept the decision."

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Flames seem to think they should never be disciplined:

http://SportsHoopla.com/jwkvkun

“While we are disappointed with the League’s verdict, we nonetheless respect the process and that the league has issued its ruling. Both the Flames and Matthew accept the decision."

Isn't this pretty much a boiler-plate response from any team management when their player is suspended?

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't this pretty much a boiler-plate response from any team management when their player is suspended?

there was a time when canucks management just accepted their fate and went "yes sir may I have another"

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dunno. Don't teams usually issue statements when the suspension is long-term? Pens didn't release one re: Sestito as far as a cursory Google search could find (when I tried again with "Penguins suspension statement" all that came up was Matt Cooke, with Ray Shero saying "The suspension is warranted because that’s exactly the kind of hit we’re trying to get out of the game. Head shots have no place in hockey."). Even when Vermette got suspended, he issued a statement of disagreement, not the team (also unlike the Flames, whose rubbish d-man assaulted a referee while high on gas fumes last year and was handed a lengthy suspension which caused Brian Burke to rent a barn for a Royal Rumble with the referees union).

I mean, has there been much defence of Tkachuk from any corners? It just seems like a weird time to use the "it's bullshit but what can ya do" statement.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, has there been much defence of Tkachuk from any corners? It just seems like a weird time to use the "it's bullshit but what can ya do" statement.

If anything, I think Flames management are attempting to tread carefully as they pretty much received confirmation from Elliotte Friedman that the league/officials are still pissed at them regarding the Wideman incident and how strongly they defended Wideman in his appeal. As for Tkachuk, I'm not surprised that he got a 2 game suspension, but when you take a look that a) no penalty was called on the play and b) Doughty wasn't injured as a result of the hit, it really doesn't seem to add up to be a 2 game suspension.

In conclusion, the DOPS remains consistent with its inconsistency.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dunno. Don't teams usually issue statements when the suspension is long-term? Pens didn't release one re: Sestito as far as a cursory Google search could find (when I tried again with "Penguins suspension statement" all that came up was Matt Cooke, with Ray Shero saying "The suspension is warranted because that’s exactly the kind of hit we’re trying to get out of the game. Head shots have no place in hockey."). Even when Vermette got suspended, he issued a statement of disagreement, not the team (also unlike the Flames, whose rubbish d-man assaulted a referee while high on gas fumes last year and was handed a lengthy suspension which caused Brian Burke to rent a barn for a Royal Rumble with the referees union).

If I misread this excuse me, but didn't you say yourself all it warranted was some time in the sin bin? :noidea:

I dunno. That looks like a decent hit to me. If the issue is retaliation, okay. If it's that Pearson's being overlooked for some specific reason, he got suspended earlier this year for hitting an Oiler in the noggin so that probably isn't it.

If this is the kinda hit we're calling dangerous and reckless and "has no place in the game", the game's gotten very sensitive.

/FWIW I don't think what Tkachuk did was worth more than some sin bin time without Doughty's sell job. It was dumb but most penalties are dumb.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I misread this excuse me, but didn't you say yourself all it warranted was some time in the sin bin? :noidea:
Yeah but who the hell listens to me. All the talking heads seemed to rank it somewhere between "stupid" and "dirty".

If anything, I think Flames management are attempting to tread carefully as they pretty much received confirmation from Elliotte Friedman that the league/officials are still pissed at them regarding the Wideman incident and how strongly they defended Wideman in his appeal. As for Tkachuk, I'm not surprised that he got a 2 game suspension, but when you take a look that a) no penalty was called on the play and b) Doughty wasn't injured as a result of the hit, it really doesn't seem to add up to be a 2 game suspension.

In conclusion, the DOPS remains consistent with its inconsistency.
I'd respect them much more if they just put out a statement that said "It would just be a fine if the target wasn't Drew Doughty".

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah but who the hell listens to me. All the talking heads seemed to rank it somewhere between "stupid" and "dirty".

I'd respect them much more if they just put out a statement that said "It would just be a fine if the target wasn't Drew Doughty".

Okay. Gotcha.

I'm with the Flames on this one. Not sure it does any good to publicly disagree with the DOPeS though.

II also think Tkachuk is kind of a dirty type player so maybe the NHL is trying to nip a problem with a star-to-be (potentially) in the bud. Who knows what those fuckwits are thinking.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, but that kind of respect would likely cost them 10K (if not more) in the wallet.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
II also think Tkachuk is kind of a dirty type player so maybe the NHL is trying to nip a problem with a star-to-be (potentially) in the bud. Who knows what those fuckwits are thinking.

Tkachuk was getting carved up pretty good on Vancouver radio this morning (stuff to the effect of "he's a dirty player with questionable character and glad we passed on him to take Juolevi etc.). I had to go out at lunch to purchase a new irony meter as the one I had broke :D

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay. Gotcha.

I'm with the Flames on this one. Not sure it does any good to publicly disagree with the DOPeS though.

Maybe Gary's still upset about the time Keith stole his danish.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gordie "Mr Elbows" Howe >>> Widdle Matt Tkachuk

Sure it was a blatant elbow, but hardly a hanging offense.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tkachuk was getting carved up pretty good on Vancouver radio this morning (stuff to the effect of "he's a dirty player with questionable character and glad we passed on him to take Juolevi etc.). I had to go out at lunch to purchase a new irony meter as the one I had broke :D

Being dirty and having questionable character are two different things. Some dirty guys are great teammates and awesome people off the ice.

Then you have squeaky clean players like Patrick Kane on the ice, and, well you know.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gordie "Mr Elbows" Howe >>> Widdle Matt Tkachuk

lol - He treats that mouthguard like a pacifier.

tumblr_ohl8ivoy121v1s3oqo1_500.gif

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, it's been a while since it's been posted on the board, so here's a refresher...

4093950458_03e4645497_o.gif

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Kevin Shattenkirk pops his DC cherry blossom.

Caps go up 3-1.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, Caps had been airtight on defense this final period, but Brouwer finishes a sneaky cross to the backdoor there. 3-2 now with 5 minutes left.

Status
Not open for further replies.