• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NL West Talk

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But if they get on a roll, they have the youth and talent to not realize they SHOULDNT win. If one of the other teams stumble, it could more easily cause a spin out due to missed expectations.

Granted, they are the favorites to take up the rear. I just think they have a decent chance of beating SOMEONE.
It's possible, but it'll be an uphill battle. Can't say I'd be excited about them finishing 4th if it results in another losing season, but this year the W-L record doesn't really matter unless the Padres somehow surprise the world and are in the mix for a postseason spot in September. The improvements of guys like Margot, Renfroe, Hedges, Lamet, and Myers along with some nice showings by rookies who will show up during the season like Urias, Lauer, and Lucchesi who started tonight is what is important because they'll be key in the team competing for the top of the division in the coming years instead of just trying to avoid the cellar.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's possible, but it'll be an uphill battle. Can't say I'd be excited about them finishing 4th if it results in another losing season, but this year the W-L record doesn't really matter unless the Padres somehow surprise the world and are in the mix for a postseason spot in September. The improvements of guys like Margot, Renfroe, Hedges, Lamet, and Myers along with some nice showings by rookies who will show up during the season like Urias, Lauer, and Lucchesi who started tonight is what is important because they'll be key in the team competing for the top of the division in the coming years instead of just trying to avoid the cellar.
Disagree.

You have a stacked system and the makings of a contender. At this point, you want to start building the winning environment. The clubhouse culture is just as important as having good talent.

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disagree.

You have a stacked system and the makings of a contender. At this point, you want to start building the winning environment. The clubhouse culture is just as important as having good talent.
I get that in baseball you need to build up the process of winning and contending, you can't expect to go from 65 wins and last place to 90+ wins and a postseason spot just by acquiring some all stars and/or promoting stud prospects. But the Padres need to see what they have with the young guys and decide if some of them are better off being packaged to acquire an all star caliber player via trade. I guess saying wins don't really matter isn't true because there should be a mix of winning and development, but as a fan I'm not gonna be as pumped about them going from 71 to 78 wins as I would be if Margot has a 20/20 season, Lamet finishes with an ERA of 3.5, or one of those rookies is a finalist for NL ROY.

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Tatis expected this year or next?
Next year with a chance at cracking the opening day roster. He could be a September call up this year but it's highly unlikely.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd give them a 75% chance of finishing in the cellar, and that might be low. Dodgers can't score for shit so far but still have better pitching and offense, Rockies offense plus Coors should be good enough to stay ahead even if their rotation is questionable, the DBacks have a decent rotation and enough firepower to compete, and the Giants might be older and without their ace for a while but have players who know how to win and have channeled their even year powers so far through 2 1-0 wins. I'd probably say out of those 4 that the Rockies is the team they'd have the best chance to pass but the Padres offense would need to be consistent and their SP much better than expected. Doesn't help their chances that the most exciting SP they have got hurt to end SP and is out until May at least.
Agreed. They are shit on the field and a shit organization

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. They are shit on the field and a shit organization
tbt.gif

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL! 2 runs total in 3 games with a lineup that should hit. Embarrassing.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Awesome! A 2-1 record after 3 games while tossing 2 shutouts.

Well done, gents...

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lmao Jansen is a tool lol

"No, it's not mechanic," Jansen said. "He just got me. Who cares? Who cares? It's one game."

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lmao Jansen is a tool lol

"No, it's not mechanic," Jansen said. "He just got me. Who cares? Who cares? It's one game."

It seems like Jansen is constantly experimenting, he's been using the slider a lot more often and has added a lot of Cueto-esque twists to his wind up over the past couple of years, at times imitating Kershaw in order to throw the hitter off balance. It's nice when you have it perfected like Cueto, not so nice when hitters are drawing walks and taking you deep. That's when the media will ask things like why your velocity is down.

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't go 0-162! :yes: