• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

new Hokie posters

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most big companies will pay for your Masters and direct you what to get it in for a promotion. Save you a lot of money

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, here goes.

I graduated from Virginia Tech in 2001 with a degree in Biology. I took a year off and worked in industry. I then went back to Tech for a Masters Degree in Food Microbiology where I worked specifically on food safety and biosecurity. I finished that in 2004. I took another year off and went to Pitt for a PhD in Epidemiology.

My father graduated from Tech in 64, and my grandfather in 47. They were both Company K. My grandfather was a chemical engineer and my father was a biology major who went on to become a bacteriologist in the army and then a physician.

I want to finish my career teaching at the school of public health that is currently starting up at Tech. For the time being, I want to get paid and am looking to move on from Pitt.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most big companies will pay for your Masters and direct you what to get it in for a promotion. Save you a lot of money

Some departments will as well. The Food Science and Technology department has 100% funding for students. It is somewhat hard to get into, because they guarantee funding for all MS and PhD students (or did when i was going) but once you are in, you are set. They also had 100% job placement, which is nice, but also kind of expected because o the specialty. Not a lot of schools have the program, and VT is one of the better ones on the east coast, and has direct ties to the FDA and USDA.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want to finish my career teaching at the school of public health that is currently starting up at Tech. For the time being, I want to get paid and am looking to move on from Pitt.

Will you be able to teach at VT after getting undergrad and graduate schooling there? Your PhD is from Pitt which may be the kicker in all of this but I had GAs that said they were finishing up their PhDs and were teaching at other Universities the next year because VT won't hire their own students because the knowledge pool becomes somewhat stagnant. Your non-teaching experience may and will likely also play into this. Just a thought.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will you be able to teach at VT after getting undergrad and graduate schooling there? Your PhD is from Pitt which may be the kicker in all of this but I had GAs that said they were finishing up their PhDs and were teaching at other Universities the next year because VT won't hire their own students because the knowledge pool becomes somewhat stagnant. Your non-teaching experience may and will likely also play into this. Just a thought.

Considering the fact it is a start up, and i will be coming from one of the oldest and most established schools of public health in the country, I think they would embrace a returning Hokie to establish connections to Pitt. In the FST department, they certainly hired quite a few former grad students as faculty. This will be 20 years down the line for me anyway. I hope to be a pretty competitive candidate by then. Plus, I would be teaching an area that I studied outside of VT. I just want to live in the NRV, ha ha!

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just live in a van down by the river!

m477hokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since you worked in food safety, how likely is it that I'm going to get B. cereus if I'm about to reheat some cheap chinese food?

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since you worked in food safety, how likely is it that I'm going to get B. cereus if I'm about to reheat some cheap chinese food?

Not very likely. Most commercial places have the water activity and pH out of the range for B. cereus to produce toxin. Heat it to kill off any potential other stuff though.

VT_Football_Fan

Be strong.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NRV is dirt cheap compared to the rest of VA. VT Professors usually have easy living.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is prolly enough MSG in that Chinese food to kill off most things anyways

VT_Football_Fan

Be strong.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My dream would be to live on a nice quiet piece of property near Floyd. Maybe a small creek and mountain view, close to town. Walking distance to the Jamboree and Oddfellas. The simple life. Instead I live the complete opposite life.

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My dream would be to live on a nice quiet piece of property near Floyd. Maybe a small creek and mountain view, close to town. Walking distance to the Jamboree and Oddfellas. The simple life. Instead I live the complete opposite life.

I am living said "dream". It's awesome don't get me wrong, but I do find myself wishing I was back in "the city" raising hell and causing ruckus like I once did in the NOVA area. Fav watering-holes back then: Rock Bottom, Clarendon Grille, Madams Organ, etc. It's all a viscious cycle.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Whippie!!

I am living said "dream". It's awesome don't get me wrong, but I do find myself wishing I was back in "the city" raising hell and causing ruckus like I once did in the NOVA area. Fav watering-holes back then: Rock Bottom, Clarendon Grille, Madams Organ, etc. It's all a viscious cycle.

Hippie!!!!!

Ha ha!

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FYI to the new posters, most of the general board guys are thick headed so have fun with them :)

VT_Football_Fan

Be strong.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

NoVA blows. I may have to relocate to that hellhole in 6 months. I am dreading it. The inflation, horrible drivers, horrible roads, rude people, cookie cutter houses, tiny ass plots of land, and overrated social scene. Did I mention the traffic? People that complain about the HRBT at 5 know nothing to the Beltway idiots.

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NoVA blows. I may have to relocate to that hellhole in 6 months. I am dreading it. The inflation, horrible drivers, horrible roads, rude people, cookie cutter houses, tiny ass plots of land, and overrated social scene. Did I mention the traffic? People that complain about the HRBT at 5 know nothing to the Beltway idiots.

I hear ya man. That's why I moved out to the country (deer hunt on my property and have game cameras). I do miss getting shredded out with the boys every now and then at the various drinking establishments. That and a good education for your child (if you have one) is about all NoVA is good for.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been here a few months but I will post again. I am a senior majoring in Mechanical Engineering. I am from Chester, VA. I am currently looking for jobs. I would really like a job in automotive because that has been my focus in school. However, Mechanical Engineering is a broad field so I am applying to a very wide range of jobs. I want to go to graduate school after I get a few years of job experience under my belt.

I work in the energy industry/utilities (Dominion VA Power)and I will concur with everything everyone has said about it. We are balls to the wall right now and it looks like we will be VERY busy going forward as the government is helping us fund the major projects. If you are from Chester then you probably know there is a major power plant right down the road and another one is on the drawing board to be built right beside that one in a couple years. Philip Morris is also a great option. This all in your backyard. There are a ton of other possibilities elsewhere (if you don't want to come home).

Chrish1023

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My turn. My name is Chris. I am a senior in civil engineering. I'm graduating this spring, but sticking around another year to be a GTA (yay free tuition) and get my master's. I'm actually TAing the outdoor lab where the students troll around the duckpond in the afternoons (if any recent students ever wondered what we were doing).