• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Nebraska gets no love in the Coaches Poll

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ha. Play in a better conference and u might get a do over too.

Considering Nebraska is accustomed to wiping up the field turf with Missouri I think they'd at least match their win over S. Carolina last Saturday.

Indiana called, they want to join the SEC East.

fredmccallyRTR

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So let me ask you a question.

Will a LSU win over Wisconsin be better than a Nebraska win over Wisconsin, because LSU plays in the SEC?

No it wouldn't be. Thus why rankings and records can only be a guide and not a rule. The only reason to look at game time rankings in association with end of season rankings is because things like injuries can make a team not as good at a later point as they were at an earlier point. Human discretion being the critical thing here because we both know rankings and records don't necessarily reflect how good a team is compared to another. That's why I also brought up BYU, they could go undefeated and I'd probably still argue Nebraska was the superior team if they say dropped a close one to Michigan State.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey dipshit, the point is a team with a loss can be better than one without a loss. Understand the point?

Hey dipshit. That's why there's a 4 team play-off.

Understand the point?

fredmccallyRTR

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey dipshit. That's why there's a 4 team play-off.

Understand the point?
Fuck man! The same shit can just as easily happen with the 4th and 5th best teams...one team with one less loss that has faced inferior competition. I ask again: Do you understand?

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going by the schedule we have and what the teams we have left are ranked right now for demonstration. Do u understand?

#11 Ole Miss has beaten Boise, Vandy, ULL, and Memphis.
Arkansas has beaten Nichols St, Texas Tech, and and N. Illinois
#6 Texas A&M has beaten #9 South Carolina (now unranked), Lamar, Rice, SMU, and Arkansas (I just showed you who Arky's beat. S. Carolina lost to a team that lost to Indiana).
Tennesse has beaten Utah St and Arkansas St
#15 LSU has beaten #14 Wisconsin (now #17), Sam Houston, UL Monroe, and New Mexico St.
#12 Mississippi St has beaten Southern Miss, UAB, South Alabama, and #8 LSU (now #15)
West Carolina has beaten Brevard, Catawba, and Furman
#5 Auburn has beaten Arkansas, San Jose St, #20 Kansas St (now 23rd), and Louisiana Tech

Are these the teams you refer to?

The only OOC wins in there that could be considered quality are Wisconsin and Kansas St.

How do you know how well Wisconsin and Kansas St will do in their own conference play?

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No it wouldn't be. Thus why rankings and records can only be a guide and not a rule. The only reason to look at game time rankings in association with end of season rankings is because things like injuries can make a team not as good at a later point as they were at an earlier point. Human discretion being the critical thing here because we both know rankings and records don't necessarily reflect how good a team is compared to another. That's why I also brought up BYU, they could go undefeated and I'd probably still argue Nebraska was the superior team if they say dropped a close one to Michigan State.

:L

I wouldn't say Nebraska's a better team than BYU. Especially if Nebraska loses to Michigan St.

Why would I? BYU has so far done everything asked of them.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuck man! The same shit can just as easily happen with the 4th and 5th best teams...one team with one less loss that has faced inferior competition. I ask again: Do you understand?

If you don't want to be the 4th or 5th team, don't lose.

It's really that simple.

fredmccallyRTR

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Simple Question: Do you want the best teams to be the four playoff teams or not? My standard is the 4 best teams and your standard is the 4 teams with the best win to loss ratio. Right?

fredmccallyRTR

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you don't want to be the 4th or 5th team, don't lose.

It's really that simple.

Well, you just created a race to the bottom. Now it is better to be an average team with shit competition than a good team with good competition. Congrats. :clap:

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Simple Question: Do you want the best teams to be the four playoff teams or not? My standard is the 4 best teams and your standard is the 4 teams with the best win to loss ratio. Right?

Yes. I want the 4 Best Teams to be the 4 Play-Off Teams.

Any undefeated P-5 + Notre Dame's that are undefeated will be considered One of the Best Teams because they've done all that was asked of them. It's not their fault they didn't play #11 Ole Miss.

For those that have one or two losses, they should go into a pool where Conference Champions, Head-to-head, Common Opponents, and Strength of Schedule are used to determine the remaining 4 Best Teams.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, you just created a race to the bottom. Now it is better to be an average team with shit competition than a good team with good competition. Congrats. :clap:

No. It's better to show up every week and NOT LOSE. Therefore you control your own destiny.

fredmccallyRTR

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. I want the 4 Best Teams to be the 4 Play-Off Teams.

Any undefeated P-5 + Notre Dame's that are undefeated will be considered One of the Best Teams because they've done all that was asked of them. It's not their fault they didn't play #11 Ole Miss.

For those that have one or two losses, they should go into a pool where Conference Champions, Head-to-head, Common Opponents, and Strength of Schedule are used to determine the remaining 4 Best Teams.

Well, I'm happy that isn't the way it works. By the way, Grand Valley State has a higher winning % than Nebraska historically, does that mean they have the superior program historically? I mean, they have done more of what was asked of them than Nebraska...right? But my guess is the answer to that by any rational person is 'no'. But why? The reason is Nebraska has faced stiffer competition. That's the problem with the 'record matters more than the level of competition faced' argument. As intelligent people we know that there are other factors that must be weighed.

fredmccallyRTR

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. It's better to show up every week and NOT LOSE. Therefore you control your own destiny.

So why not go out and join the shittiest conference possible, increase your chances of going undefeated and have a cakewalk to the Natty? Your system would work if all conferences and schedules were designed to be equal like in the NFL. But CFB isn't arranged that way and without a complete overhaul of the conference system never will be.

fredmccallyRTR

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the NFL

Teams that won the Super Bowl with the most wins during regular-season:
1960s: 1 of 4 (25%)
1970s: 8 of 10 (80%)
1980s: 6 of 10 (60%)
1990s: 4 of 10 (40%)
2000s: 2 of 8 (25%)

We see by the NFL that having the best record doesn't mean you're necessarily the best team even when all things are created equally.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I'm happy that isn't the way it works. By the way, Grand Valley State has a higher winning % than Nebraska historically, does that mean they have the superior program historically? I mean, they have done more of what was asked of them than Nebraska...right? But my guess is the answer to that by any rational person is 'no'. But why? The reason is Nebraska has faced stiffer competition. That's the problem with the 'record matters more than the level of competition faced' argument. As intelligent people we know that there are other factors that must be weighed.

No. Because they haven't done it as a P-5 + Notre Dame.

Do you have a clue what you're talking about?

Once again. If you are a P-5 + Notre Dame and want a guaranteed spot in the Play-Offs DON'T LOSE.

If there are 4 undefeated P-5's + Notre Dame, you lost a game and deservedly get left out, too fucking bad, so sad, cry me a river, show up every week next season.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So why not go out and join the shittiest conference possible, increase your chances of going undefeated and have a cakewalk to the Natty? Your system would work if all conferences and schedules were designed to be equal like in the NFL. But CFB isn't arranged that way and without a complete overhaul of the conference system never will be.

Fuck if I know.

DO IT!!!!

or quit crying about it.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the NFL

Teams that won the Super Bowl with the most wins during regular-season:
1960s: 1 of 4 (25%)
1970s: 8 of 10 (80%)
1980s: 6 of 10 (60%)
1990s: 4 of 10 (40%)
2000s: 2 of 8 (25%)

We see by the NFL that having the best record doesn't mean you're necessarily the best team even when all things are created equally.

This isn't the NFL is it?

Should we punish an undefeated Notre Dame, ACC, PAC, BIG 12, or Big 10 champ because they didn't play #11 Ole Miss who has beaten Boise, Vandy, ULL, and Memphis?

Last edited by a moderator:

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact is fred knows only ONE of Alabama's 3 NC's over the last 5 years was unblemished.

Alabama doesn't appear to show up every week so they automatically get a do-over.

fredmccallyRTR

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. Because they haven't done it as a P-5 + Notre Dame.

Do you have a clue what you're talking about?

Once again. If you are a P-5 + Notre Dame and want a guaranteed spot in the Play-Offs DON'T LOSE.

If there are 4 undefeated P-5's + Notre Dame, you lost a game and deservedly get left out, too fucking bad, so sad, cry me a river, show up every week next season.

Apply the same reasoning to the Big 5 and the principle and logic remains the same. Within the big 5 the same dynamic is at play. All conferences and schedules arent close to being equal. Thus why there are a fucking thousand strength of schedule and conference rankings sites.....It matters.