• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Nebraska gets no love in the Coaches Poll

HuskerCradle2Grave

Big Red in the Big Ten!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Once again, it is situational. You take a look at the teams played, the performance level and the nature of the games and make a judgment. Like we do when ranking teams all the time.

I gave a pretty clear scenario minus scores. Both hypothetical teams played similarly ranked teams. And I will throw in the margin for the wins were within 3 points between the two teams.

Basically, the only differences are the number of ranked teams played and the indicated losses.

If you were on the committee, and one spot is left, who gets in?

fredmccallyRTR

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I gave a pretty clear scenario minus scores. Both hypothetical teams played similarly ranked teams. And I will throw in the margin for the wins were within 3 points between the two teams.

Basically, the only differences are the number of ranked teams played and the indicated losses.

If you were on the committee, and one spot is left, who gets in?

What your example displays is that we must use human discretion sometimes to determine which team is better when the raw data is relatively the same.

I would pick the team I thought was better than the other team and if it was a true toss up then the overall record perhaps would be the deciding factor. Still, situational.

Last edited by a moderator:

HuskerCradle2Grave

Big Red in the Big Ten!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What your example displays is that we must use human discretion sometimes to determine which team is better when the raw data is relatively the same.

I would pick the team I thought was better than the other team and if it was a true toss up then the overall record perhaps would be the deciding factor. Still, situational.

Dodge, duck, dip, dive & dodge.

HuskerCradle2Grave

Big Red in the Big Ten!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can be a sack of dicks about it, but that is the answer. What answer are you looking for? It might be easier for you to just say.

Holy shit man. Don't be obtuse. I gave you two scenarios asking you (or anybody) to make a committee decision and pick from one of the two teams in each.

You know what, never mind. I should have never asked. My bad.

:burt:

fredmccallyRTR

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy shit man. Don't be obtuse. I gave you two scenarios asking you (or anybody) to make a committee decision and pick from one of the two teams in each.

You know what, never mind. I should have never asked. My bad.

:burt:

And I explained how I would decide between the two....being a hypothetical there isn't much more I can do.

Once again, just say what you were fishing for.....

HuskerCradle2Grave

Big Red in the Big Ten!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I explained how I would decide between the two....being a hypothetical there isn't much more I can do.

Once again, just say what you were fishing for.....

Wasn't fishing. Just asking your take between 2 hypothetical teams. And all you could come up with was "I would pick the team I thought was better than the other team and if it was a true toss up then the overall record perhaps would be the deciding factor. Still, situational."

The hypothetical differences were supposed to be slight and nuanced. It was supposed to be thought provoking. But look, you have made it clear you don't want to give a definitive answer. That is fine.

Like I said, forget I asked.

:gaah:

fredmccallyRTR

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasn't fishing. Just asking your take between 2 hypothetical teams. And all you could come up with was "I would pick the team I thought was better than the other team and if it was a true toss up then the overall record perhaps would be the deciding factor. Still, situational."

The hypothetical differences were supposed to be slight and nuanced. It was supposed to be thought provoking. But look, you have made it clear you don't want to give a definitive answer. That is fine.

Like I said, forget I asked.

:gaah:

By the nature of the question there is no way to give a definitive answer without pulling something out of my ass, except for the answer I gave you.

:wtf2:

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly it doesnt matter. If Nebraska wins out theyll be in the playoff. If they lose a game they wont. Its the same situation with every other B10 team save the possible exception of MSU. Frankly there are only about 2 or 3 teams that can have a loss and still make the playoff... And of course half of the SEC can also do that. ESPN!!! WOOOHOOO!!!

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly it doesnt matter. If Nebraska wins out theyll be in the playoff. If they lose a game they wont. Its the same situation with every other B10 team save the possible exception of MSU. Frankly there are only about 2 or 3 teams that can have a loss and still make the playoff... And of course half of the SEC can also do that. ESPN!!! WOOOHOOO!!!

What's wrong with that? Are you trying to suggest that the SEC wouldn't deserve a team with 1 loss?

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's wrong with that? Are you trying to suggest that the SEC wouldn't deserve a team with 1 loss?

Nope, I am saying many other teams with 1 loss would be just as deserving but wouldnt get the benefit of the doubt

fredmccallyRTR

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope, I am saying many other teams with 1 loss would be just as deserving but wouldnt get the benefit of the doubt

MSU and Notre Dame are two teams outside the SEC I could easily see getting in with 1 loss and the benefit of the doubt.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I disagree. A 1 loss SEC West team such as Auburn will be much more deserving than a 1 loss team from any other conference. It will be reflected by the SOS.

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. A 1 loss SEC West team such as Auburn will be much more deserving than a 1 loss team from any other conference. It will be reflected by the SOS.

Unless the SEC has a team in there already.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless the SEC has a team in there already.

Yes. You and I have a different criteria. You want a team to have won their conference, I want a team that has beaten the most quality teams and played a better schedule. Not staring this again.

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. You and I have a different criteria. You want a team to have won their conference, I want a team that has beaten the most quality teams and played a better schedule. Not staring this again.

I just don't want to see teams in there that have already faced one another. Takes all the interest out of it.

fredmccallyRTR

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't want to see teams in there that have already faced one another. Takes all the interest out of it.

That very well could happen too without it involving the SEC, Oregon and MSU and or Notre Dame and FSU.