• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Most overrated rock star

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also think Metallica is overrated outside of like 10 songs, and has been on cruise control since their first 2-3 albums.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phil Collins.

Immensely talented, but shit music.

Could not agree more. Exactly how I feel. Dude's an awesome drummer, and pretty creative.

I just don't get what he's going for with his music.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The friends I have that really are into the Beatles say the music got better when they started doing drugs...go figure.

There was some talent there, but the brand became much larger than the talent....great timing.

I'm not even sure I would classify this as rock, but Toto would be my nominee.

Eh... the drugs just happened to coincide with them breaking free of their original label, when they began doing their own thing. It had some influence, but it was all a part of them embracing being able to do whatever the fuck they wanted. Since they didn't have to listen to any suit-wearing businessmen anymore. They were the fuckin Beatles, and had proven that they weren't going away. And they were rich enough to tell everyone to fuck off, if nobody liked their new music anyway.

Some people don't get what The Beatles id, because you can't hear how different they were than the bands before them. You can't hear it in the same context. There's a reason that so many other musicians that came after them, worshiped them.

So many bands took influence from The Beatles, and their impact was so strong across music. You listen back now and go; "Huh... It doesn't sound so different."... Well, back then, that stuff did. When they came along, rock music was; "Roll Over Beethoven" and "Go Johnny Go". Fast forward 6 years, and everything is on it's head. And it never went back... it changed forever. The Beatles started all of that.

I would never try to tell somebody that they need to like them in 2017. However, the lack of respect, which comes from the lack of proper context. Is kind of infuriating. "Some talent there"... is just... asinine.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh... the drugs just happened to coincide with them breaking free of their original label, when they began doing their own thing. It had some influence, but it was all a part of them embracing being able to do whatever the fuck they wanted. Since they didn't have to listen to any suit-wearing businessmen anymore. They were the fuckin Beatles, and had proven that they weren't going away. And they were rich enough to tell everyone to fuck off, if nobody liked their new music anyway.

Some people don't get what The Beatles id, because you can't hear how different they were than the bands before them. You can't hear it in the same context. There's a reason that so many other musicians that came after them, worshiped them.

So many bands took influence from The Beatles, and their impact was so strong across music. You listen back now and go; "Huh... It doesn't sound so different."... Well, back then, that stuff did. When they came along, rock music was; "Roll Over Beethoven" and "Go Johnny Go". Fast forward 6 years, and everything is on it's head. And it never went back... it changed forever. The Beatles started all of that.

I would never try to tell somebody that they need to like them in 2017. However, the lack of respect, which comes from the lack of proper context. Is kind of infuriating. "Some talent there"... is just... asinine.

Thanks for the education...:D

FWIW...I have maybe a dz Beatles songs on my music server, so I'm certainly not hating on them...but, music is one of those things that is highly subjective in terms of like or not like. There have been some wildly successful recording artist that simply didn't connect with me. And I'm sure the same would apply to you.

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there are so many bands that absolutely shit all over the noise pollution that is "tha stones" that it's not even funny. are you kidding me with this garbage?? have you been living your whole life being pulled around via your nostrils by rolling stone magazine or something?? they're not even close to the best band out of the UK, let alone "best rock and roll band ever".

I don't recall mentioning anything about The Who. They're alright, I can take them or leave them. Leaps and bounds better than "tha stones", of course.
I sure wouldn't trade my music collection with yours. :nono:

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not a huge fan of the Beatles, but I have to give credit where certain credit is due. I never cared for their pop stuff, but by the latter end of the 60's, they were a totally different band. They invented little when it comes to music, such as concept albums, studio tricks like audio loops and double tracking, but what they did was being a massive band, they brought it to the masses. I appreciate Lennon's writing abilities, just don't care for the guy. The only Beatle I really liked was Harrison.

The Rolling Stones at their peak were a fucking, fucking great band. From Beggars Banquet to Exile, they ran off rock and roll albums right up there with most anybody with Let It Bleed and Sticky Fingers being their peak achievements. They, along with The Beatles forever changed what rock and roll was all about. The attitude. The Jagger/Richards team is second to Lennon/McCartney in the pantheons of rock. You may not like them, but overrated? Not a chance.

As for overrated? Dying young really speeds up the praise of some of ones I feel were overrated (not bad in some cases - just not the massive influences people believe) I'd say someone like Jim Morrison. His lyrics/poetry? Very little there AFAIC. The Sex Pistols? Basically a bunch of wanna-be Ramones, pissy children. There are others still kicking around like Ozzy Osbourne. When he was fronting Black Sabbath, he was part of an incredible and truly original band. They started going downhill before Ozzy was canned, and I never cared for most of his solo stuff, and he just became this tiring, burnt out turd with the mental ability of a houseplant. Perhaps overhyped is a better term for him, but whatever.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
God damnit.

This thread makes me so fucking stabby. I have to stop checking it, but it's like a trainwreck that I can't look away from.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disagree about Sting, but even though I like their sound U2 is kind of overrated. But they have many very good songs. They just all sort of sound the same.

Agree completely with you about Sting. I can certainly understand why some people wouldn't take to his solo stuff, but he's an incredible song writer and in my opinion, a top-notch lyricist.

I'd also tend to agree with you about U2, although I think Joshua Tree and Actung Baby are both fantastic albums.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank you...

I am so fucking confused with that guy. Some people worship him, like he's a god damn genius. I have a friend with a lyric of Springsteen's tattoo'd on his body.

I just... what is it? I don't understand what I'm supposed to think is good.

I feel the same way about Prince. All I hear is commercial pop music out of that guy. At least, I can understand people liking that, more than I can Springsteen. Pop music has it's place. I just don't understand why Prince is a "genius".

Sometimes, I think if you've achieved a certain amount of success and build yourself up to be a god, the masses will buy in. Kind of like Jim Morrison (even though I love The Doors... I just think he was 4th most talented dude in that band, but sold himself as this god). Then, he died at 26, at the height of his fame. Which always makes you kind of a legend.

Springsteen is shit, Prince is shit... they can both stay out of my catalogue.

I was never much of a fan. I came of age in the 80's when he seemed to be pretty cheesy with the Born in the USA stuff.

About 10 years ago, I was invited to a concert of his and I decided to go because I wanted to see what it was all about. After committing, I read that his concerts usually are 3+ hours. It was on a week night, and I was in the midst of an extremely stressful time in my professional life, so I was not psyched to go after learning how long the concerts were.

So, I went in with a relatively bad attitude, and I have to say, he and his band blew me away.

I delved into his catalog and I've since become a fan. I don't think he's a god, and he's not my favorite, but I have a very healthy respect for what he's done. His first three albums, Greetings From Asbury Park, The Wild, The Innocent and The E Street Shuffle, and Born to Run are fantastic. Born to Run was, in my opinion, his zenith, and that might be one of my top 10-20 albums of all time. He has some great songs after that, but I think from a full album perspective, that was his high water mark.

He's got some serious lyrical chops, too. I don't put him quite up there with the upper echelon with guys like Tom Waits, Sting, Paul Simon, Elvis Costello and Bob Dylan (who's on a level of his own in this regard), but he's not too far behind them.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A funny aside, in Springsteen's Thunder Road, he sings:

You can hide 'neath your covers
And study your pain
Make crosses from your lovers
Throw roses in the rain
Waste your summer praying in vain
For a savior to rise from these streets
Well, I'm no hero, that's understood
All the redemption I can offer, girl, is beneath this dirty hood

I sometimes wonder if the "dirty hood" he's referring to is his foreskin.

black francis

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
springsteen is god awful

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Beach Boys without question are the most overrated... Hey fellas I have an idea let's sing about the beach, chicks and cars in every fucking song and make them all sound exactly the same... Yawn...

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Beach Boys without question are the most overrated... Hey fellas I have an idea let's sing about the beach, chicks and cars in every fucking song and make them all sound exactly the same... Yawn...

Without commenting on the Beach Boys legacy as a whole, God Only Knows is amazing.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also think Metallica is overrated outside of like 10 songs, and has been on cruise control since their first 2-3 albums.
Kill Em' All, Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets and ...And Justice for All are up there for the best first 4 albums ever, from any band in any genre.

They suck a fat dick after that, but those first 4 are fucking incredible. 10 songs is laughable. There is not a bad song on any of those albums.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was never much of a fan. I came of age in the 80's when he seemed to be pretty cheesy with the Born in the USA stuff.

About 10 years ago, I was invited to a concert of his and I decided to go because I wanted to see what it was all about. After committing, I read that his concerts usually are 3+ hours. It was on a week night, and I was in the midst of an extremely stressful time in my professional life, so I was not psyched to go after learning how long the concerts were.

So, I went in with a relatively bad attitude, and I have to say, he and his band blew me away.

I delved into his catalog and I've since become a fan. I don't think he's a god, and he's not my favorite, but I have a very healthy respect for what he's done. His first three albums, Greetings From Asbury Park, The Wild, The Innocent and The E Street Shuffle, and Born to Run are fantastic. Born to Run was, in my opinion, his zenith, and that might be one of my top 10-20 albums of all time. He has some great songs after that, but I think from a full album perspective, that was his high water mark.

He's got some serious lyrical chops, too. I don't put him quite up there with the upper echelon with guys like Tom Waits, Sting, Paul Simon, Elvis Costello and Bob Dylan (who's on a level of his own in this regard), but he's not too far behind them.
The Born in the USA album is real good. The title song being the worst on the album. I've never been a huge Springsteen fan, but he has some really good stuff. The E Street Band was amazing.

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Are you kidding...they once sang a song about a ten gallon hat...there goes your theory.

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd also tend to agree with you about U2, although I think Joshua Tree and Actung Baby are both fantastic albums.
They had some good stuff. The reason I think they win the overrated title is because even though they had no better songs than several groups, they where lifted up above all for some reason. I still don't quite understand it. I know they threw support behind certain causes, but that shouldn't have been enough to be as big as they were. Perhaps it was a split between those who leaned to the hair bands and those who didn't leaving U2 as one of only a few choices at the time.

I listen to allot of music, but I cannot name 15 of their songs. Heck they have 22 Grammy Awards.