• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mays to Bengals

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Not advocating a switch in positions but in roles on Defense perhaps. Try him out as an attacking S on the blitz.... use him on passing down situations... try some different looks with a 335 or change it up with a 44 look... not trying to change the whole identity of our base Def but throw in different looks.

Now you're advocating creating schemes around a player who has multiple weaknesses and really does nothing well, or even average at the position. Just to salvage the pick you want to build schemes to hide his inadequacies.

That's insane.

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Honestly, I would see if he can be effective at rushing the passer off the edge or try a stunt up the middle. The kid has serious speed, see if we can use that into our pass rush? Not coverting him to a LB, but a DB blitzer in this case.

Have him play zone near the LOS so he can chase down(or attempt to) the backs near the sidelines. Again just try to see if it works, if it doesn't, then it doesn't.

I guess I'm more frustrated that we didn't try other methods in using him. But maybe they did in practice and found out it wasn't possible? The coaches know more than I do so I got to go with it.

So.. Let's see, the other teams see Mays on the line up and automatically knows that he will blitz the QB because they know he is a liability at pass coverage. They assign a RB or TE to pick up that Blitz or switch to run instead. Kinda telegraphs the defense does it not?

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
That fact of the matter is since he was given away for a song there wasn't a lot of interest in him from other teams so getting something is better than nothing.

I agree it sucks to bite the bullet on a 2nd round pick like that but I would far rather cut ties with him if the coaches see no use for him than keep him and take up a valuable roster spot.

I mean would you rather keep Mays on the roster because of his draft status at the expense of nothing having enough space for a guy like Dobbs?

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To say Goldson is no better is insane. What was one positive play Mays made on defense last year?

I can't recall a play that stands out for Mays.

But one can make 10 bad plays for Goldson's 1 or 2 good ones....

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So.. Let's see, the other teams see Mays on the line up and automatically knows that he will blitz the QB because they know he is a liability at pass coverage. They assign a RB or TE to pick up that Blitz or switch to run instead. Kinda telegraphs the defense does it not?

That can be said about lots of guys though...

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now you're advocating creating schemes around a player who has multiple weaknesses and really does nothing well, or even average at the position. Just to salvage the pick you want to build schemes to hide his inadequacies.

That's insane.

It's not insane to throw a different look on defense here and there. It's not just for Mays, but the whole team D can benefit from it. It's not necessarily on Mays... I'm saying why not try it out. It's like a situational pass rusher, why not play them every down? Some pass rushers can't play every down so their role is limited to situational downs.

I'm not saying to change the whole d, that's absurd lol, throw in a different package. Lots of Defenses do that.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I can't recall a play that stands out for Mays.

But one can make 10 bad plays for Goldson's 1 or 2 good ones....

Bullshit. Goldson is 10 times the player Mays is and will be.

Goldson is sometimes a little late getting to the ball, but he gets to the ball. Mays doesn't.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It's not insane to throw a different look on defense here and there. It's not just for Mays, but the whole team D can benefit from it. It's not necessarily on Mays... I'm saying why not try it out. It's like a situational pass rusher, why not play them every down? Some pass rushers can't play every down so their role is limited to situational downs.

I'm not saying to change the whole d, that's absurd lol, throw in a different package. Lots of Defenses do that.

No, it's insane to start installing packages to attempt to cover up a player's weaknesses when that player has no strengths.

A situational pass rusher can rush the passer. That's why they're situational pass rushers.

What does Mays do well, other than run fast?

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
No, it's insane to start installing packages to attempt to cover up a player's weaknesses when that player has no strengths.

A situational pass rusher can rush the passer. That's why they're situational pass rushers.

What does Mays do well, other than run fast?

Mays is also pretty good at lifting weights, and he can take your head off if he's got a full head of steam and you don't step out of the way in time. :-)
Seriously he's decent around the line of scrimmage. There's youtube's videos of him catching Javhid Best out on the edge for no gain. How many other safeties can catch Javhid Best on the edge that's like trying to catch a jackrabbit?

Personally I would have liked to have kept him only as a 5th safety solely for special teams to see if miraculously he could develop. But oh well.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I know they were experimenting with Whitner in a 3rd down LB role. It's not like we'd be making up new installations just for Mays.

That type of installment would value a player's versatility above all else. You'd want someone who can do a lot of different things like blitz, spy on a QB, cover a 3rd WR, cover a RB, etc to create as much confusion as possible. With an emphasis on coverage or else why not just use a regular LB?

I think Mays could actually do this type of role, but Whitner would be better in just about everything. In that type of position anticipation and having a nose for the ball will really come into play. That's been my biggest knock on Mays. He can't anticipate very well.

freaak

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm still bothered by this. Well, that entire draft is looking like a pile of crap atm. :frusty:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Not advocating a switch in positions but in roles on Defense perhaps. Try him out as an attacking S on the blitz.... use him on passing down situations... try some different looks with a 335 or change it up with a 44 look... not trying to change the whole identity of our base Def but throw in different looks.

ok.

no doubt we're ALL dissapointed in this pick, and no doubt Baalke gets the blame as GM.

was hoping - like you - Mays pans out SOMEWHERE, even if not a starting Safety. but for me this trade wouldn't happen if this Staff thought Mays could in fact succeed in these roles?

they just don't see a good football player so i accept he's THAT bad. you haven't accepted it and not a problem, we'll move on and so will Mays.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm still bothered by this. Well, that entire draft is looking like a pile of crap atm. :frusty:

getting just about nothing out of your 2nd rounder no doubt stings, but the "entire" draft? i took 'entire' to mean 'class'.

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Losing Mays really doesn't effect my view of that draft class, cause i expected him to be a disappointment.

Iupati and Bowmann look good. While I don't expect Kyle Williams to make a big impact, he has shown some promise in his role.

I'm still willing to give Davis a chance since he is very young, but so far he looks like crap.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I know they were experimenting with Whitner in a 3rd down LB role. It's not like we'd be making up new installations just for Mays.

That type of installment would value a player's versatility above all else. You'd want someone who can do a lot of different things like blitz, spy on a QB, cover a 3rd WR, cover a RB, etc to create as much confusion as possible. With an emphasis on coverage or else why not just use a regular LB?

I think Mays could actually do this type of role, but Whitner would be better in just about everything. In that type of position anticipation and having a nose for the ball will really come into play. That's been my biggest knock on Mays. He can't anticipate very well.

I'm going to strongly disagree that Mays can do that type of role. he can't cover a 3rd WR, he can't cover a RB and he is not that good at the LoS. He ran down Best. That's one play and was going to the sideline. That's not that big of a deal.

EaseUrStorm

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
So why would the coaching staff want Whitner in that position instead of a LB or even an extra DB?

Thinking about it that way, I'd think this player wouldn't be isolated on a 3rd WR (which is the obvious vulnerability), but giving stronger help than a LB. And the versatility gives you stronger run support than a CB could give you around the line.

So this is probably a yard specific installment - something like a 3rd and 4 situation. (I'm not arguing to keep Mays on the team to play 3rd and 4 situations)

My thought process is simply that if Whitner can be put into this role, so could Mays as both players do have similar weaknesses in their coverage ability.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
So why would the coaching staff want Whitner in that position instead of a LB or even an extra DB?

Thinking about it that way, I'd think this player wouldn't be isolated on a 3rd WR (which is the obvious vulnerability), but giving stronger help than a LB. And the versatility gives you stronger run support than a CB could give you around the line.

So this is probably a yard specific installment - something like a 3rd and 4 situation. (I'm not arguing to keep Mays on the team to play 3rd and 4 situations)

My thought process is simply that if Whitner can be put into this role, so could Mays as both players do have similar weaknesses in their coverage ability.

Whitner is a much better player than Mays. It's not that close. Whitner is better in all applicable ways.

EaseUrStorm

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It's been a long day. You could use that defense in various 3rd down passing situations with all those DB's.

It's really just replacing one of your PR's for tweener LB.

So my assumption would be that it's using a SS instead of a LB because it gives you a faster player than what a LB gives you, while providing a little hedge against the run or a screen. Otherwise why not just put in a CB if you're that terrified of their 3rd WR?

freaak

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Losing Mays really doesn't effect my view of that draft class, cause i expected him to be a disappointment.

Iupati and Bowmann look good. While I don't expect Kyle Williams to make a big impact, he has shown some promise in his role.

I'm still willing to give Davis a chance since he is very young, but so far he looks like crap.

No doubt I can be influenced into changing my mind, but as it stands right now, no es bueno, my friend. It's looking like we're getting two quality starters from the bunch, an LG and an ILB. Not quite the positions we need to excel atm.

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt I can be influenced into changing my mind, but as it stands right now, no es bueno, my friend. It's looking like we're getting two quality starters from the bunch, an LG and an ILB. Not quite the positions we need to excel atm.

LG isn't a position we need to excel at right now? Everyone on the line needs to excel. Our offense is non functional because of our line. Our play makes me grateful for any piece we have there. Especially when he can be one of best at his position. I like being able to feel some solidarity on the line. I'm sure the whole offense does too. It's not sexy, but it's crazy to say it's not important.

I don't see anyone below Bowmann who would fill that spot on his level. Again I'm happy to have any spot filled by a quality starter. I hope he plays to his potential and makes losing Spikes hurt less.