• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Lions @ Steelers

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree on taking their time. I know Goff has been beyond terrible, but next year his dead cap of 30 million matches his salary. I would rather ride with known trash for a year while you add the tools to help a talented QB be successful. Cut him the following year where you recoup 20-25 in salary cap.

This year D stud with the 1, and a WR with the late second or early first. Next year QB with the top 5 and another wr with the first.

That way incoming rookie has Hockensen in his prime, to 1st round WR and St. Brown.Cephus making a decent WR group, and an Oline that has gelled and could be truly elite. That rookie QB has everything his needs to help him be successful.
Honestly I am keeping Kalif. ARSB and Cephus can split one of the outside spots.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saints will overreach for him most likely so he wont be available that late. Maybe late day 2

The Saints no longer have their 2022 3rd pick because they sent that pick early in September to the Texans for CB Bradley Robey.

I couldn't see them using their 2nd round pick on Zappe.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For you @Old Lion
This was written yesterday

Western Kentucky routed Rice 42-21 to take another step toward the Conference USA championship game (which, despite the recent exodus from the league, still will include two teams) and secured bowl eligibility. In the process, Zappe had another ridiculous stat line: 34-of-42 passing for 482 yards and five TDs. It's Zappe's fifth 400-yard passing game and his sixth with at least four TD passes. For the year, Zappe now leads the nation in total offense (4,165) and total TDs (45). The only other QBs since 2004 with 45 or more TDs through 10 games: Heisman winner Lamar Jackson, Super Bowl champion Patrick Mahomes, all-time TD leader Colt Brennan and D'Eriq King.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would rather ride with known trash for a year while you add the tools to help a talented QB be successful. Cut him the following year where you recoup 20-25 in salary cap.

That way incoming rookie has Hockensen in his prime, to 1st round WR and St. Brown.Cephus making a decent WR group, and an Oline that has gelled and could be truly elite. That rookie QB has everything his needs to help him be successful.

I expect some fans might not agree with this idea, but your comment is the best I've read regarding Goff and a future QB (like you've stated in drafting one for 2023). You might want to pass this on to all the Detroit Area Sports Writers.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Old Lion

Is it too early to get a thread for 2022 Lions prospects ? :suds:
I think we can but 6 of the next 9 games are against losing teams so we will have a slight chance to win. We know for sure we will have a top 15 pick and top 10 most likely unless things change dramatically. Best bet is top 5. They will find a way to screw up getting 1st pick though. If we dont have a top 3 pick it could change the strategy dramatically.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No Kyle Hamilton ???

I'm truly disappointed and not with the solo choice of Lloyd either
I am thinking that we can get a safety like Brisker in round 2 or 3 but we would have to keep Marlowe because of the injury concerns. Brisker plays reckless in the box and tends to get himself banged up.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am thinking that we can get a safety like Brisker in round 2 or 3 but we would have to keep Marlowe because of the injury concerns. Brisker plays reckless in the box and tends to get himself banged up.
I am ok with a reckless safety, other than Glover Quin the 8-12 games of Delmas are still the best year of safety play Lions have had.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we can but 6 of the next 9 games are against losing teams so we will have a slight chance to win. We know for sure we will have a top 15 pick and top 10 most likely unless things change dramatically. Best bet is top 5. They will find a way to screw up getting 1st pick though. If we dont have a top 3 pick it could change the strategy dramatically.

Our needs for an Edge Rusher, LB, Safety and at least one WR (whether it's a possible WR1 or WR2) will not change. Saying this, I still believe we, myself, @Old Lion and @Mebert will become extremely disappointed when they don't draft a LB in those 1st 3 picks, if not at all during day 1 and day 2. It's merely a gut instinct on my part due to all the non-sensical, positive reference of Anzalone's play.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Brisker is reckless, but he does possess some decent coverage skills. He sure is hell isn't afraid of mixing it up in coverage or the run game. He's not horrible in coverage by no means, but he for damn sure hadn't better be the "alone" single high-safety all that much.

Michigan's Daxton Hill, Auburn's Smoke Monday and Michigan State's Xavier Henderson - in that order - could become viable options.

Daxton Hill has the speed, agility, fluidity and athleticism to be very good. He's improved his coverage skills every year and has a background coming in as a CB and a former H.S. WR/CB combo but mostly the latter. He started out at U-M as a CB. Allegedly, he has 4.3 speed (4.42 speed didn't do Will Harris one bit of good) and his speed is evident on the field. He's more than a willing defender against the run but he can over-commit, at times, in coverage to in-breaking routes because he guessed wrong.

Monday and Henderson both have excelled at run defense and are better than average in coverage but not to Hill's skill-set.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Loyd slips to the end of the first round then yes. We cant use the number 1 on him

I'd be "all in on Lloyd" with the 2nd 1st round pick or early 2nd round pick, but I doubt he lasts to either one of those

and if he's gone

I would look next at your choice of Nakobe Dean. I was a little harsh towards him earlier. None of these draft prospects are Elite or even great in coverage - not even Lloyd.

Dean possess great to exceptional sideline to sideline speed but he has an inordinate amount of snaps biting on head and body fakes by receivers. He's more than likely better than any other chase LB in this upcoming class. He excels at blitzes and coming downhill against the run but like most all other LB in this class there doesn't exist one who can consistently shed blocks. Lloyd and Dean are damn good at moving around and through the trash.

Kirby Smart substitutes all four of his off-ball LB : Quay Walker, Channing Tindall, Nakobe Dean and Nolan Smith (the latter was No.1 overall H.S. player for class of 2019 - yep, even over Thibodeaux - according to 24/7 sports. All four of those LB can and do play Mike, Money, Sam and Jack

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Keeping Marlowe is correct because Will Harris needs to get tossed - or traded to the Patriots for a bag of salad - organic please.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our needs for an Edge Rusher, LB, Safety and at least one WR (whether it's a possible WR1 or WR2) will not change. Saying this, I still believe we, myself, @Old Lion and @Mebert will become extremely disappointed when they don't draft a LB in those 1st 3 picks, if not at all during day 1 and day 2. It's merely a gut instinct on my part due to all the non-sensical, positive reference of Anzalone's play.
LB is deep this year so they will draft one for sure IMO.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brisker is reckless, but he does possess some decent coverage skills. He sure is hell isn't afraid of mixing it up in coverage or the run game. He's not horrible in coverage by no means, but he for damn sure hadn't better be the "alone" single high-safety all that much.

Michigan's Daxton Hill, Auburn's Smoke Monday and Michigan State's Xavier Henderson - in that order - could become viable options.

Daxton Hill has the speed, agility, fluidity and athleticism to be very good. He's improved his coverage skills every year and has a background coming in as a CB and a former H.S. WR/CB combo but mostly the latter. He started out at U-M as a CB. Allegedly, he has 4.3 speed (4.42 speed didn't do Will Harris one bit of good) and his speed is evident on the field. He's more than a willing defender against the run but he can over-commit, at times, in coverage to in-breaking routes because he guessed wrong.

Monday and Henderson both have excelled at run defense and are better than average in coverage but not to Hill's skill-set.
Yup, He is a box guy that can cover IMO. Safety is decent depth too of course big drop off after Hamilton.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be "all in on Lloyd" with the 2nd 1st round pick or early 2nd round pick, but I doubt he lasts to either one of those

and if he's gone

I would look next at your choice of Nakobe Dean. I was a little harsh towards him earlier. None of these draft prospects are Elite or even great in coverage - not even Lloyd.

Dean possess great to exceptional sideline to sideline speed but he has an inordinate amount of snaps biting on head and body fakes by receivers. He's more than likely better than any other chase LB in this upcoming class. He excels at blitzes and coming downhill against the run but like most all other LB in this class there doesn't exist one who can consistently shed blocks. Lloyd and Dean are damn good at moving around and through the trash.

Kirby Smart substitutes all four of his off-ball LB : Quay Walker, Channing Tindall, Nakobe Dean and Nolan Smith (the latter was No.1 overall H.S. player for class of 2019 - yep, even over Thibodeaux - according to 24/7 sports. All four of those LB can and do play Mike, Money, Sam and Jack
Dean is a wildcard. So is Adam Anderson. I would like to see Anderson slip TBH. With his height he can cause a lot of problems wherever he is on the feild.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LB is deep this year so they will draft one for sure IMO.

There was an article earlier in 2021 where LB hadn't been drafted before day 3 by Snead or Loomis or Dorsey and I realize Holmes will be making the call and not the other GM's tied to who currently exists on the Lions coaching staff DC/AG or administrative staff _ Dorsey/Holmes

just sayin' to get your popcorn ready

LB is deep as in edge rushing LB but not coverage LB